Whelan Security

Whelan Security Employer Reviews

Great company to work for
Mobile & patrol security officer (Current Employee), Southfield, MIJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: with this job you can accomplish skills related to safety, cpr, fire safety, and you could learn other skills such as dispatch and all sorts of other work related skills
Cons: there really arent any cons for me.
My day at work for this company is very relaxing I patrol the inside of the building looking at different points for safety hazards or unlocked doors help various customers navigate through out the buildings. Management are friendly, helpful and professional. Co-workers are friendly and helpful as well. Really .after I found my way around the site there wasn't any hard parts. The most enjoyable part about my job is their teaching me more skills about security in order to complete my job duties.
site was boring
Security Officer (Former Employee), Santa Fe, NMJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: boring work
The management staff for the area were good and willing to work with you but the local sites were boring. You either stood around getting glassy eyed or walked around doing same. If you want a company to grow with......turn over might get it for you.
poor management
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), MOJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor management
The management team was unprofessional at the time of my employment . I would not recommend this place of employment to anyone . The only good thing about the company was the benefits .
Security Guard Officer
Security Guard Officer (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 29, 2014
• Enforce and comply with company policies, post orders and client instructions
• Provide a visual deterrence by maintaining high visibility at all times
• Conduct detailed observations of people and property within their area of responsibility
• Enforce rules and regulations of the venue at all times
• Provide access control by ensuring that only authorized persons are permitted in their area of responsibility
• Conduct weapons screening and bag checks following approved company procedures to ensure a safe environment
• Conduct foot patrols or fulfill standing posts in their area of responsibility as directed
• Verbally interact with other people within their area of responsibility
• Work all assigned hours & maintain available for additional assignments
good sites
Base Operator/Security Officer (Former Employee), chicagoDecember 28, 2014
Pros: bonus
Cons: none besides co workers gossip
good sites and great pay different sites to work while sro management easy going and fare. co workers comical but able to get alone with on special assignments.
Nice job placement
Lead Security Officer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2014
Pros: good clients
Cons: n/a
Monitor cameras, and interact with clients. The staff is very friendly.
Management is good.
The co-workers are easy to get along with.
there is no Respect for their employees
Assistant Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 16, 2014
This Company has Site managesr that do not care about their employees
Family-Owned Security Company that knows how to welcome new-comers
Employee Services Specialist aka HR Generalist (Former Employee), Crescent Springs, KYDecember 5, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: can't think of any
As the Employee Services Specialist (aka HR Generalist) I was responsible for the full-cycle recruiting of security officers. This is a high-turnover industry, so I was always busy reviewing resumes, conducting phone-screens and personal interviews, coordinating second interviews with supervisors, and managing the pre-employment screening for all applicants.
I ultimately left due to differences with my Branch manager (whom I hear is no longer with Whelan), but I met many other leaders in the company that I was very impressed with.
I was very impressed with the on-boarding process for new hires. It was mostly electronic and included an excellent orientation program called "Welcome to Whelan." It gave a brief history of the company and encapsulated benefits and expectations very clearly. I feel it made new hires feel very welcome and excited to start work.
I really enjoyed working for this company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2014
I really enjoyed working for this company. The staff was great, very polite and professional.
Fun but can be hard work & fast paced
Event Dispatcher (Current Employee), Kansas City, MODecember 3, 2014
Fun people. Can be cold near the end of the season. Also can be hard work & get fast paced.
The only good thing about this job is that i could work as much overtime i wanted if the Caption was in a good mood.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSDecember 3, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: your just a number and you life dose not matter
I would work 6/7 days a week 12hrs or more a day but if I need a day off or wanted to take time off I couldn't. The Caption of the site was not friendly at all and she would treat me like I was no one. The only job a had to fill a complaint to HR, which end badly after informing HR of my problems the Caption went off on me that was my last day working the only job I have not put in two week notice.
Management Lacks Skill
A) Security Officer (Current Employee), St.louis, MO.December 1, 2014
Pros: it's a job. easy money but very boring.
Cons: low pay, terrible hours, bad benefits, management sucks
Alot of sitting. Management doesn't care about their employees. Alot of time by yourself. Hardest part of the job is trying to find something to do. Best part of the job is going home.
Great company to work for.
Security Guard/Site Captain (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSDecember 1, 2014
Pros: tough job, good co-workers, great management
Cons: moderate pay and hazardous environments
On a typical day if you do not have a set post position, The managers will call you and let you know where you are going. Once you are there they call to see if you made it there alright and if there is anything that you need for the shift. Then they leave you to stands your shift watch, no bugging you and very few supprise visits.

Management and co-workers are great. If you need anything there is always someone there.
Great Place to Work
Supervisor Security Officer (Current Employee), Roseville, MNNovember 22, 2014
Each event is interesting to work. I was able to advance and get promoted every year, just by working hard, good communication skills, and being reliable.
It is a ok job not really satisfied here.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Oakland, CANovember 22, 2014
The job is stable easy going however it isn't me. good conpany overall. The employees and coworkers aren't friendly at all.
The scheduling is very bad. The supervisor and management is ok.
great
Security officer (Current Employee), Sterling, VANovember 19, 2014
it is a great job to work for. I would recommend this to everyone
Very good, family oriented, and makes you feel like you belong.
Security Officer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MONovember 16, 2014
Pros: postive atomsphere
Cons: at points you are just a number.
Makes you feel welcomed and respected. You are gain the respect of the those that you work for. Would recommend Whelan Security for those that want to fit it and get a sense of belonging.
Good place to to work
Camara room (Current Employee), Baton Rouge , louisianaNovember 16, 2014
Pros: above min wage, great management team
Cons: i always want more money
I do not know what all of the other posters expected out of a security job but obviously they are spoiled. We recieve above min.wage, if you give respect to your supervisors you will recieve it back. You knew what the job entailed before you excepted it , if you don't like it quit! Our management team is great, yes it could be tweeked a little but all humans have faults. I would absolutely recommend working for this company. I have been here for 3 months and there has been at least 2-3 opportunities to advance. I work at a hospital and yes we do have a director whom insists that things are done the right way. That is how it is in life! The management team here is willing to help. I have seen the bosses from New Orleans several times they are not scared of comming out to sites and working. I have been trained well and even asked by the captains if I was comfortable with the training I received or did I want more. So stop your crying because you probably got fired for breaking rules and grow up.
This is not Whelan Security
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Belton, MoNovember 5, 2014
This is for the Belton School District, I love working with the children
MY Experience
Security Guard Supervisor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 22, 2014
Pros: security experience for the next job
Cons: unprofessional head office
I was a Employee for Whelan security for 2 years, it is no a place for career advancement, the overall structure of the company was not a good fit for me, i was placed in random sites with little no training on those sites. after a year i finally found a place i call home, down at the northstar center in downtown minneapolis. I enjoyed that particular spot until i was laid off due to a disagreement with the account manager, I felt as if they are out to make a quick buck.

1 2 3 4 5

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Photos