Whelan Security

Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Great Employee
Security Guard (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 1, 2015
Greet the employee when entering the building. Helping out employee when they need help. Hard part of my job when your co-workers don't do what they are suppose to be doing on their job.
Very Professional and friendly
Security Officer (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 29, 2015
Pros: Good work hours.
Cons: Not always being informed about special guest
Mornings when employees were coming through gate to go to work was very busy. I learned to verify visitors to make sure visitors could come on property. Management was very good helping me with any issue I was not sure about.My co-workers were very professional and friendly. Bad weather conditions always create challenges for paper documentation and sometimes gate break downs. The great part of job is getting to know names of employees and saying good morning and saying good by in afternoon.
It's OK if you like sitting all day, suit and tie
Blue Cross Blue Shield Security (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 28, 2015
Pros: Some good people, you get to chase off skateboarders, and transients from the parking lot.
Cons: No advancement, no input from you, suit and tie at a desk
I was posted at BCBS in Tulsa Oklahoma, I started as outside patrol at 9.50hr, the people I worked with then were OK I guess, i was there for a year and was paid vacation time off. I left 2 weeks afterwards and came back a year later, things had changed big time,, we were told either our way or the highway. There's really no promotion from with in, even though the formal supervisor had trained me well in observ and learn and running the CCure system, fire suppression console and learning how to get along with almost all types of personalities. After reading all most all reviews on here I noticed one thing in common , no room for advancement, low pay and you get to play information desk. This is really not a security guard job, your more like an escort for employees and customers
Whelan Security
Security Officer/Concierge (Current Employee), Washington DCJune 24, 2015
This Is A Great Company For A Person Just Starting In This Field. Very Professional Staff However They Are Very Limited On Accounts, So If You Are Seeking Full Time Work This Isn't The Company For You
Management is Pathetic!
ROVER Driving miles just to hit 40 hours/week! (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
Pros: 10/hour average pay, if you view that as being a "Pro"
Cons: No breaks, Hard Work does not pay off here! ABSOLUTELY NO CONSISTENCY! ROVER POSITION SUCKS, AS YOU WILL DRIVE MILES AROUND YOUR CITY JUST TO FIND WORK TO BUILD 40 HOURS PER WEEK, THIS MEANS, IF YOU WANT 40 HOURS, MOST CASES, YOU HAVE TO DRIVE 45+MILES AWAY FROM YOUR HOME! LOL DON'T DO IT, IT'S BETTER JOBS OUT HERE PPL!!!
I am truly honest when I say, management is Pathetic!!! I have only been here for a month, and I have been trying to give this company the benefit of the doubt and time to work on their flaws, but NO! Realistically, if you are in my same position, and you have BILLS to pay, stay with this job until finding something better. My first week seemed to flow quite fine. I received 40 hours, and the posts I was sent to weren't mediocre. However, I have noticed that management lacks problem-solving skills. There are people who go check in at work, then leave, and steal hours...and there are people – more... who fall asleep and do absolutely nothing. As I work overnights, and am an exception to that, I still get calls from corporate. I do my job, I don't complain, but instead of a tiny ounce of appreciation, I am called about BS! If the client has an issue with you, if the Site Supervisor has an issue with you, or if you think you are doing great, and someone tries to nit pick at every little thing, you will be called in to the corporate office to meet. Man, security is too easy for a company to write you up and make you have a meeting for every little thing. My advice to management would be, stop treating your employees as though they are beneath you and everyone who holds authority. Appreciate your employees, and respect them because we are all adults! Stop handling petty situations with anger and a mentality to write up and terminate people. Security companies are contacted, and are a dime a dozen. As a great dedicated employee, they will be sad when I leave. But, this company has a revolving door of employees so I may not be missed, but you have to look at it as a means to keep food on the table. But with this company, you have to be smart and leave before they get the upper hand. Don't be a fool, MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH COMPANIES 1ST, AND DETERMINE IF YOU CAN DEAL WITH THE CONS. – less
Terrble place to work for
Security Officer/Customer Service (Current Employee), MOJune 20, 2015
Pros: easy work, can be a fun job depending on what post you get sent to, Alright place to go if starting out in security
Cons: terrible terrible management; they lack skill to do their job properly.
Whelan really does not car about their employees. For instance I patrol a hosptial and the a/c has gone out in our truck. Our manager has been informed several times, but has not come out to fix the problem. Try sitting in a truck getting eaten by bugs and its 90 degrees outside. I come to work everyday for the past 5 months and this is how they treat me. Also I've been talked down to many times by upper management. Don't take this job unless you are extremely desperate and starvng.
Safe work place
Security Dispatcher (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 17, 2015
A typical work day as a dispatcher was busy because I watch the cameras for suspicious activity, answer phones, monitor alarm systems and other office duties at the same time
I have learned that as a team you have to be able to clearly communicate or there will be misunderstands among coworkers
The management was good but I felt the this is where the communications failed
All of my coworkers were good people to work with but when employees don't get any days off because of lack of coverage, it makes them a little upset
The hardest part of my job was trying to please my supervisors while trying to do the tasks that are at hand now, placing things on the back burner for less important tasks
The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I did my job to the best of my ability and have a great track record for getting things done
sat on chair and had air con and shack along with fridge
security officer (Former Employee), laredo,txJune 15, 2015
Pros: lunch was brought to me
Cons: but couldnt leave work
just typically long, got my hours was awesome co workers were cool. management was good just lacked a lot of workers always needed to call for a relieve.
Love the job and the people I work with,just does not pay enough.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Denton, TXJune 11, 2015
Cons: The only down fall of this job is rate of pay.
I most enjoy the people I work with and the team effort. Also the set schedule and weekends off is the topping on the cake. I have learned how to increase my customer service skills and my time management. Learned many new computer programs. Multitasking is a must at this job.

Management is wonderful and always there to support me.
The hardest part of the job is time management. I work in a cooperate building with over 1,000 workers, which leaves no time to breath on some days.
Great place to get to know people from town
Security Officer (Former Employee), Centennial, COJune 11, 2015
Just a good place to get to know everyone in the company. Many great faces. Contracted with good companies and job title.
Where do I start
Supervisor (Former Employee), Milwaukee WiJune 10, 2015
Pros: Its a job
Cons: Dont know where to start
Poor management, Company does not care about employee safety, its all about the contract. People are just a means to the end to make money for the company. Core Values are a joke. Nothing to see here. A place to no where with crummy pay and benefits. A true example of greed and sweat shop company. Shame on any company contracting with Whelan. The best part of the job is going home.. that's if they let you. No work life balance, if it was up to them you would sleep in your car on site and come back to work after four hours sleep. Fire people for no reason. They love,love, to fire people it gives them a power rush. Hire, Fire is the companies core value. People mean nothing to them, it's all about the money. A true example of corporate greed. Best enjoyable part of the job is getting out. I learned that life is too short to work for ..........s
Good Job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJune 9, 2015
The hardest part of this job is dealing with personalities but over all its an okay job. The job duties are quite easy and simple. Don't take a rocket scientist to complete the duties.
do not apply here
Security Guard (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 3, 2015
Routinely treat employees like slaves, often leaving them on sites for 12 hours or more without a relief worker arriving.

Laughably low pay.

The worst management I've ever worked with.

Confusing medical benefits had me scared to get sick.

They refuse to promote from within, and constantly understaff their sites.

Upper management are tyrants, often talking to subordinates like children.

I'd NEVER recommend working here to anyone...
I'ts a nice company to work for.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Landover, MDMay 21, 2015
Pros: The ability to show respect to everybody you encounter that day.
Cons: Breaks are short when an incident arises healthcare excellent.
A company that you can learn and grow from to further your career in the security field.In this type of job to stay sharp and alert because excuse my language stuff happens and you have to be ready for it.My coworkers are like anyone out there trying to survive in everyday life hard working people.Management is there to assist us in any problems that come up.The hardest part when somebody comes to work in the wrong state of mind trying to take their problems out on you.The enjoyable part to go home that day knowing you did a good job that day.
bottom of the barrel company
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), st. louis moMay 21, 2015
Pros: insurance
Cons: no advancement
this company is bottom of the barrel along with Sentry.....they bring in the homeless for jobs.....there is no advancement...positions are filled by walking in...if they need a supervisor they pick one off the street, not internal.
They treated their employees bad
Receptionist Relief Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 17, 2015
They have no respect for their employees. They are very disrespectful and allow too much foolishness on the job with no room for advancement.
Poor leadership and even worse outlook on firefighter safety
Firefighter (Former Employee), Georgetown KentuckyMay 14, 2015
Pros: 24/48 schedule
Cons: See the review
On-site management has very little or no actual operational experience as a firefighter. The fire suppression equipment is no where near adequate for the type of facility to be protected. Apparatus consist of a quint aerial device and pickup truck with a skid unit, covering an auto manufacturing facility with 10,000 employees during a weekday. There is 500,000 gallons of fuel on site, and the "fire department" has 10 gallons of Class B foam concentrate. The aerial apparatus is in disrepair and not inspected annually. Turnout gear is outdated by 2-3 years, and should have been removed from service. – more... Instead it is commonly issued to firefighters. Airpacks are frequently removed from service due to malfunction, meaning there are not enough airpacks for the 6 firefighters on duty. Fire suppression tactics are practically non-existent. HAZMAT response equipment is seriously lacking, despite the amount and type of chemicals frequently stored/used on the site. 4 hours of training is provided to firefighters each month, and extra training on your down time is frowned upon.
This place is a large scale disaster waiting to happen. It is a matter of time before a firefighter is seriously injured or killed at the hands of this security company. – less
Ok for a temporary job. Would not recomend.
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 14, 2015
Pros: Easy job, pay is good for a job not requiring any sort of college degree.
Cons: Negative work enviroment.
The job itself is okay, it is security so its very boring. Coworkers were fine and some of the supervisors at my site were alright to work with. The job is very easy, the part that makes it difficult is that their is very little involvement from the corporate level. management spends more time complaining about employees and supervisors than actually trying to build a better relationship with them, a lot of the problems stem from management focusing on managing up, this causes a disconnect between them and their employees and is leading to an excessive turnover rate, currently most employees are unsatisfied with the way the company is running I made the mistake of not reading employee reviews online before getting the job, most of the reviews for this company are negative and from my experience I can tell you that the majority of the reviews are accurate which leads me to believe that the problems start from the corporate level.
avoid
Security Officer (Former Employee), Pomona, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
work here if you need to be paid nothing and be treated like nothing
no room for advancement
no real leadership
no good pay
Productive workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee), Brentwood, MOMay 12, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff all around the warehouse
Cons: No breaks we work thru them
Log in customer purchase order to make sure they are on the schedule for that day to deliver products to the warehouse. Make sure the property is well secured, I get along very well with my co-workers, the hardest part of the job is when the drivers want to argue with the guards about the bill of ladings, but we always keep it professional and explain to them the rules on out site. The most enjoyable part of my jobs is how well everyone works together to get the job done and all the laughs we have.

1 2 3 4 5

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Salaries