Whelan Security

Whelan Security United States Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Non Commissioned License Security Guard (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 25, 2015
Pros: Money
Cons: 12 hr shifts
Patrolled properties, employees and alarm calls. Had a route to follow and had to hit many apartment complex to help with disbursements.
Productive idea of what work could be like everywhere.
Non Commissioned Security (Former Employee), Richardson, TXApril 24, 2015
I enjoyed the detail to attention that the job required. Not many people see the respect it takes to work as a Security officer. You have to have a high regard for yourself before you can have empathy for others and if you don't have that quality it will be a miserable position.
Poor place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: There's one supervisor that's really good
Cons: short breaks, very poor benifits
Whelan Security is not a very good company. They don't have very good management. They mess up on all their employees payroll. They hire supervisors that aren't trained. The supervisor are lazy and don't know how to run their shifts. They have their favorite employees that get very thing they want and the ones that aren't teir favorite get the short end of the stick. They expect the employees to memorize their 10 values but Whelan doesn't even follow them.
Flexible work place
Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2015
Pros: working independently
Cons: Low hourly rates
Typical day was observing and reporting daily activity by foot patrols and watching cameras. there were no other coworkers in the assigned building, but the person I will see upon leaving or arriving.
Good company, flexible
Lieutenant (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSApril 9, 2015
Worked for company in Ohio & Kansas. The company higher up management works best with staff as to where your more hands on supervisor could be more user friendly
Great job Culture
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Hours no real days off
This is security so every day is different. Reacting to issues that crop up.Dealing with guard problems. Payroll issues, Scheduling changes dealing with call offs. Managing different personalities.
nice job or work place
Security (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 5, 2015
Loved working here at this job set up for event shows at the metro dom as well as helped clean up afterwards. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to see the football players.
Fun place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee), El Paso, TxMarch 31, 2015
Cons: weather
A typical day as a security guard is never a dull moment. You meet new people everyday, the environment is never the same. I would enforce the rules, and make sure that everyone is enjoying themselves while following all rules. I would report to my management and fill out the log. The most enjoyable part of job is you make friends.
N/A
Officer (Former Employee), Florissant, MOMarch 29, 2015
All around bad company to work for. No opportunity for advancement, poor management, poor security, management is terrible about who they employ. Poor communication.
Pay was pretty good but the job was horrible.
Security Officer (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 24, 2015
I worked here for a short amount of time, the management was aggressive and one of the managers made degrading comments about my weight. I left this job because their lack of care and professionalism with their employees. I jumped through all kinds of hoops to get this job and it just resulted in me quitting after only 3 days of employment.
Correctional Officer
Security Officer/Fire Fighter (Current Employee), Smyrna, TNMarch 23, 2015
Definitely a unique job. Requires a lot of maturity and ability to learn on the fly. Provides adequate training to complete the requirements of your duties.
I loved working with Elderly.
Employee Services/ Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee), Georgetown, KYMarch 20, 2015
I had always worked in a nursing home enviroment. I enjoyed being around them and careing for them. They touched my life in so many differnet ways.
Uplifting place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee), Downtown ChicagoMarch 19, 2015
Excellent place to work, enjoy my co-workers energy. Very busy atmosphere, and I come in contact with a lot of high salaried individuals who are amazing.
Easy jobs
Security Officer (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 11, 2015
Being a security officer is a common sense job, therefore it is easy work. It is easy to obtain a security officer license as well.
Hard to advance
Third Shift Lead (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2015
Pros: good people, good benefits
Cons: work itself is tedious
As third shift I found life balance difficult. Always on call, always the possibility of having to stay late. More than one boss, more than one set of rules to follow and enforce.
Fun andexciting workpace
Supervisor/Sargent (Former Employee), Canton, MSFebruary 19, 2015
At Whelan officers are required to help maintain a safe working environment for Nissan employees. While employed at Whelan I was promoted to Supervisor position and I also went through fire brigade training.
Mediocore
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee), Roseville, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: friendly staff, simple duties, decent pay.
Cons: no room for advancement, poor communication.
Very simple, friendly people. General security. Management is non existent, co workers are very nice. No hard parts.Better pay than most companies. Good accounts to work at.
It's a job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Roseville, MNFebruary 10, 2015
It's a job where you are tasked out to do. A security job which anyone can do. Just do your job and you will be fine. Only sucks when you work there forever, you forgot it is only just a job and you take it kind of personally.
Not Employee Friendly
Supervisor David Smart (Former Employee), Louisville, KYFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: friendly fellow officers
Cons: management, policies, rules, administrative requirements were redundant in all cases.
While working for Whelan I experienced inflexible rules and rules that changed daily without any notification. There was no uniformity of supervision with one supervisor telling you one thing then another supervisor telling you another thing.

Schedules were changed to different shift starting times without and prior notification. Redundant policies and rules. Management did not seem current on the employment laws and federal laws.
Great job.
Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee), Rockford. IL.February 7, 2015
Great job and great people but I'm getting bored with it. You can sit or stand as needed. Do patrols and help employees and visitors.

1 2 3 4 5

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Salaries