Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Micromanagement
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2017
I didn't enjoy my job. The benefits were nearly useless and the micromanagement from corporate was increasing to the point that I didn't want to continue. My immediate supervisor was very charismatic and generally a great person, however.
Pros
Positive management
Cons
Lousy benefits, micromanagement
Fun work place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2017
Fun work place, supervisor was great the security team I worked with was great I am very sorry that I let the team down I had been for 8 yrs without any situation
Not good work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 21, 2017
They are a okay company, but they need more chances for better pay and advancement. Needs to work on there leadership. Have to many people trying to be in charge.
Easy Going Work Environment
Site Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2017
Good Pay
Easy going work environment
But, no benefits until 1 year of continuous employment
no room for advancement
no flex employees to stand in for your shift if you call out
Pros
good pay, easy work
Cons
no benefits first year, no stand in guards if you call out, no advancement
Mainly customer service and using company database
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, COMay 16, 2017
Each day consisted of Checking in and out employee's and visitors entering site. The environments was uncomfortable at times due to being a small work area and co-workers bringing home problems into the work space. Daily patrols of Mine Site and checking propane levels in various locations. The hardest part of the job was the long periods of sitting down and not enough exercise.
Pros
Training and overall understanding of job
Cons
Long periods of sitting and same routine each day
Security Officer
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 16, 2017
its a great place to work
rotating Schedule
Payed vocation
Standing on your feet for 6 to 12 hours a day
Team work
Great customer service Skills
My Clients are the best part of my day they are friendly and full of life!
Fair job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2017
Management was horrible they'll tell you one thing and then do something completely different . The manager at rackspace lies about what he was doing job wise when really he was inside enjoying the AC
Pros
Enjoy the outside
Cons
Stuck outside in all bad weather
Met very interesting people daily.
Corporate Security Officer (unarmed) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 13, 2017
Met different people daily. Was an interesting place to work because I work nights avoiding the morning traffic, and the afternoon Traffic.
The best part of my job was vacation time days off and the workout daily, going up the stairs playing with ghostly noises at nighttime,
Not much happen at night just very long nights.
And the reward at the end of the day was our payday to get our daily coffee.
Pros
I love the morning coffee.
No job security. Promotions for those who work hard.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriMay 11, 2017
Whelan has treated me very well so far. They do try and take care of those who make it a point to show management that they care.

Having said the good, here's the bad:
There is little to no job security
The pay is awful
It is very disorganized
Poor communication
Pros
No job security, poor pay
Cons
Promotions available for hard workers
great job!
Private Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 9, 2017
I get the chance to work with a lot of great people from all over the world, We come into work with a goal in mind tom protect any and everyone that comes to the stadium to enjoy the game
It was okay
Whelan sercuity (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 5, 2017
It's a okay job pretty easy chill for the most part managers can be rude at times and hard to work with. They pay okay could be better and hours can be long
opens your eyes
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 5, 2017
It is security so you see different things you wouldn't normally notice. It is a very lonely work place to be in and hard to have a life with it. You are always on call.
Pros
Time to think
Cons
pay isn't great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, COMay 4, 2017
A typical day was very busy checking in and out the crews for their shifts. Local management at that time was very hard to work with. I absolutely loved doing my job, but my job was made hard to do when new manager took over, Their were a lot of suspicious things going on.
I loved the pay, but we did not receive benefits such as insurance and such.
Pros
pay, experience
Cons
former management
poor
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Trenton, OHMay 2, 2017
I love the location of my work but the company I work for Whelan is poor over all. The uniforms are not good they do not fit and do not look professional. (you pay $200 for your uniform) The lack of communication is a huge problem! No one is ever on the same page, and Whelan does not want to hear what you have to say good or bad. We are short staffed at all times and never know if we are going home at the end of our 8 hour shift or if we are being froze for a 16 hour shift. We do NOT get a lunch break you must eat when you get time and trust me you never have time, The list goes on of negative. MillerCoors Brewery is this most amazing place and is full of wonderful people. I do not reflect my feeling of Whelan on MillerCoors.
Contract Security in General is a stepping stone job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  TNMay 1, 2017
Security does not pay well, but the work is not hard.

It is a good job to do while in school or for those who just need a few hundred dollars per week (such as people who are retired and collecting money another way.) It is not a career unless you are willing to be paid poorly for a long time until a career advancement opportunity opens, and then it is mostly a who-you-know not what -you-know business.

Whelan has a good reputation in the business due to a long hiring process but it is not much different than any other security company who may or may not pay more.

Though corporate management believes they know what is going on in all of their locations, they really don't. There is no appreciation for those who are working day to day doing the job unless that person happens to be a part of the Good Old Boys Club. Asking for any kind of assistance from the management or corporate office may lead to your termination, when it becomes convenient for them to let you go, not when it is proven you have not done a good job--this happened to an office person who always helped me.

It seems that underqualified management stay longer than the qualified as the qualified ones resign leaving no one but those not responsible for those jobs to man them. Those underqualified people keep their jobs as they are part of the group that work in management and can get away with being less than stellar at their jobs. It does not look good when you call the office to talk to someone and no one you hired in with works there anymore.
Pros
OT available with overnights, being a Security Officer is easy work, no heavy lifting.
Cons
Hiring Process is too long, Pay is low so never enough officers for relieving one another on post, No feedback about whether a person is doing a good job or a bad job.
Okay company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 29, 2017
The pay is not very high. Insane working hours. You are mostly just a number. not much room for advancement. A significant amount of expectation for minimal pay.
Awesome place to work.
Security Guard (part-time) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 28, 2017
I enjoyed Whelan alot they offer plenty of benefits to their workers and really do take care of you. They offer plenty opportunities to explore different venues in the company and there's room to advance.
Pros
lunch breaks
They let you get a lot of overtime
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 27, 2017
That's the only thing I really like about the company. The also have various shifts available. So once you're hired, they will put you straight to work.
I would award them 2 out of four stars for overall efficiency
Security Flex Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 27, 2017
As a flex officer with this company for six years, there has been a constant turnover of management personnel in the Dallas office. They have had personnel who, through their lack of communication, have lost good personnel at all service levels.
It's security.
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 23, 2017
Low bar for entry, as is typical of security jobs. As long as you show up and do your job, you'll have a job. Limited room for advancement, but better than other security companies. The pay is slightly above average, which means it's still low, just not as low as others.
Pros
Pays slightly higher than average for this industry.
Cons
Same low bar for entry as other security jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7