Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Rochester, NYSeptember 21, 2017
Worked bengals games which was cool. Had to worry about drunk people mouthing off, and had to make sure no one had weapons on them which wasn't that exciting. Got to watch the games at halftime though
a very horrible company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 20, 2017
job was a very stressful company to work for login trucks & login out was very stressful people at the site were very disrespectful unorganized,unfair.
Pros
pad on time events were great
Cons
stressful, disrespected
good company but needed some improvement
Woman Hospital/Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 19, 2017
I was working in the Command Center watching cameras, so a typical days was laid back and easy. Paperwork always presented itself.culture was very diversity. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was time to go home,when the relief has showed.
Pros
Getting job done and being complimented for it.
Cons
Having to stand and walk for long periods of time
not good
guard (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 19, 2017
Not a company that I would recommend.I and the security officers on site little little contact with the home office as we could.The management was less than knowledgeable and unwilling to hear our concerns concerning our work.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IASeptember 17, 2017
Fort dodge no the long time manager is a joke
Sit all day so easy but boring no advancement no stimulating work or tasks mindless work
If someone calls in u get stuck working a double
Pass
Pros
Easy
Cons
Manager and turnover
Great company
Security and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2017
They were a pleasure to work for. All amazing people who really listened to employees. I never felt like I didn't have a voice to express my concerns.
Awesome at working with employees if time was needed off.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSSeptember 16, 2017
Very friendly and relaxed place to work. All those I worked with were some of the finest people ever. I would recommend whelan security to anyone needeing a good place to work with benefits.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Can get slow at times
Money
Security Officer for Simmons (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ARSeptember 15, 2017
They need to make more money at this job. I think it should be less $10.65 and hour for the things we do. We also need more training at the job. I just believe we need more money and more hours.
not so productive
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2017
Whelan security company does not back their employees up at difficult times....Its hard to get a manager to come to most sites and do not take suggestions from there officers for extra protections on their sites. they also will not do a full investigation to clear their officers when in need.
Great until recently
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2017
Whelan was a great place to work at and had superb management until recently. The newest CSM would treat the employees as if they were beneath him unlike the previous CSM's.
Very slow paced, low pay, but good people.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYSeptember 11, 2017
A typical work day starts off with clocking in and from there you sit and watch for trucks to sign-in. We are located at the front of the plant in a small shack with no TV nor WiFi. Every 2 hours we patrol the outside and inside of the plant. There's nothing really difficult about the job nor "enjoyable" its just a job that takes plenty of time out of your day to do very little.
Pros
There wasn't much required of the job
Cons
Not enough officers to spread the work load, No breaks and low pay
Horrible place to work!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IASeptember 8, 2017
Horrible place to work. Other than the decent pay for the work you do this place is a waste of time. Insane turnover, horrible hours, no weekends off ever, no rotations, bad management, and whenever someone calls off you always have to work and cover on your days off, on top of that they're always changing your schedule without even asking you. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.
Cons
Management, no communication, turnover, no weekends ever.
A growing company
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 8, 2017
When I say growing company. I mean a company that has a lot potential to grow. For being the largest family own company in the us. Whelan gives it's employees health benefits, 401k, life insurance and 1 week paid vacation. Whelan doesn't expect anything less than any other security company does. Hardworking, timelines, showing initiative, doing your job will get you more opportunities. Because of my experience I was able to move up from a patrol driver, shift supervisor and then a field supervisor.
Eeeehhhh; It's okay i guess
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MSSeptember 7, 2017
Just like i said at the top, It's okay just okay. nothing more nothing less. Great if you really need a job but keep in mind the pay is terrible. but hey you will get as much overtime as you want because there is always someone calling in (at least it was when i was there).
Only good thing about this job is the fact that you if you are security at a large plant and you work at a gatehouse you will have the luxury to sit there and do anything else; like homework or watch TV on your phone. Its not a hard job, just a boring job. Unless you have terrible supervisors (MY CASE). Please find something to do, but don't go to sleep. Also if you have to go to the bathroom and you work a gate on the graveyard shift, your best bet is to go in the grass because roving security/transport relief will only come around once every hour or so and will take their precious time if you call them.
Pros
job security, a lot of overtime to compensate for low pay, Leaving at 8am.
Cons
Terrible pay, Incompetent managment
Easy and fun work environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2017
At my location we all work together with any tasks that need to be completed. We work alone but we have plenty of people to engage with. You will always have a smile on your face.
Cons
Only 32 hours a week
Whelan
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2017
My typical day working for Whelan security was as follow. I would be sitting on site with nothing to do for hours. I was their to check out trucks but half of the driver would not stop to be checked.
Great Place too work
Security Technician (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 6, 2017
very fun and relax place to work clean and get to see famous people always job events going on in the building food is great and the people are great.
senior leadership needs work, but overall good team
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ areaSeptember 5, 2017
Senior leadership needs work, and hiring goals need a lot of work. Site management is great, and site teams are really good people. Pay is low, for work demanded, sometimes, and leaves little room for raises, or advancement.
Pros
depending on the site you work at
Cons
senior leadership, high turnover
Okay for the moment
Charter Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 3, 2017
Decent for the moment not really for moving up. It is a easy job and has its days for a couple extra tasks but well put together. I get to look a lot more professional than most security jobs.
Low Moral
Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Normal, IL 61761September 3, 2017
Employees don't want to help out when there are openings/call-offs. They have no regard for others and just generally don't care if someone fills the open spot or not or if they ruin other peoples plans for something ridiculous. Security as a whole i believe is for someone who doesn't have a family or someone who doesn't have a lot of plans. you'll probably be working a lot.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor moral, poor attitudes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7