Whelan Security Employee Reviews

The people managing the company do not know what they're doing
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Any townJanuary 11, 2017
Management does not communicate well with their employees. They expect you to work long hours with low pay. They do not like it if you do not like to work a lot of overtime. They are very understaffed and from what I saw they couldn't keep their help for extended periods of time because management treats the employees poorly. The impression I got was I am the boss I can tell you what to do and you better respect me because I am the boss and you're not. They have a habit of scheduling you with only 8 hours between each shift and sometimes it was like 2 p.m. 10 p.m. and then they wanted you to work 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and if you said anything you are a complainer.
Pros
Cons
If they change their attitude and gave higher wages they could keep their help
Productive and safe enviroment
Security Officer - Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Weldon Spring, MOOctober 9, 2016
The workplace cares about our safety and our clients. We are able to communicate easily with our clients to ensure adequate protection. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with hundreds of different people everyday from different cultures and backgrounds.
Pros
some healthcare, sprint benefits
Cons
short breaks, unorganized management
Enjoyed being around people and the variety of duties.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Your job is what you make of it! Sometimes the job can be difficult if it's tedious without variety or flexibility. If the duties of the post are different you get to know more of the site and the people that work there to make more enjoyable.
Management is very helpful if have the will to learn and take their online courses for advancement and promotions.
Pros
Transferable to other posts and can take courses online to advance.
Cons
Location contracts lays you off and then have to wait for next post.
Toxic
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 16, 2016
Unreliable company to work for. No advancement or raises. Poor communication and management. No consistency in job regulations and unreliable co-workers.
Low Wage's
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Houtson TxSeptember 3, 2016
Whelan is not! a company that I would refer family nor friend to work... The pay is the lowest pay when other security company starting pay is $12 up, and with and better benefit's...

You! will have to work long hour's just to make a decent pay check... The company do not! give any pay raise's no! matter how long you! have work for them, and it's sad that you! can be fired without any warning just for saying no! to other time hour's.....

There office staff care nothing about the field guard's who is the reason for all the update renew contract, they receive, and the guard's get no! pay raise's, not! even a 25 cent raise...

Whelan have a separate business account they can give pay raise's if they chose to, but you! can talk to your Supervisor can all you! will get from them is that is the pay that the post is paying..... So that Mean's NO! PAY RAISE FOR YOU.....

Working long hour's with No!!!!! Break's or Lunch for 8 hour's or more.... When there are labor law's against this, type of job abuse, and No! yearly pay raise's or Increase, but people are in need of work, so they will take this Mess, and that is what Whelan Corporation CEO'S and Local Office Manger's are very aware of, All they will do is REPLACE You...
Pros
LOW PAY
Cons
LOW PAY
last resort
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 2, 2016
this is a company who claims to be employee focused and they are when it comes to flexibility in scheduling but that is about it. i went 32 day with out a day off before and i was promised an bonus for taking extra shift but never got it. this is a company that sounds good on paper but once you are actually there it is a completely different story. i would not recommend this company to anyone who isn't desperate.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
no breaks, sub-par compensation, uniform and licencing fees are expensive, uniforms are poor quality, it takes forever to replace uniforms, get paid minimum wage when in training
Depends on the site you work at.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2017
I liked the site I worked at. Enjoyed the people I was working with. The job itself was was busy and challenging during peak hours. Very slow during off ours. Could be very boring at times. Management did not communicate effectively. Due to this they could not hire for positions needed and employees were required to pick up the slack. Forced 8 hour mandation for at least 1 person every day, usually more than one. Okay job if single, but having a family with outside work responsibilities made it impossible.
Pros
paid lunches, some good people to work with
Cons
Low pay. Most good people only stay a short time and move to a better job
Whelan
Site Supervisor / Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NESeptember 29, 2016
I have no complaints about Whelan security except the fact that you don't get paid as much as other guard companies. The upper management is excellent. They are not really located in Lincoln, NE though, they only have one account.
Pros
excellent upper management, benefits
Cons
compensation
Unprofessional supervisors/management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KY 40324February 12, 2016
Very unorganized management. Keeps people in supervisor positions that they don't deserve or have the professional ability to manage. Worked for them for more than a year and nothing ever changed. Got one raise at 7 month mark and no more. The job itself is boring and easy, the problem is company does not appreciate its employees or compensate them appropriately. Very unprofessional management. Very rarely got a regular 40 hr work week, most of the time I was doing 54 hrs because of so much constant overtime, from losing employees every week, because of bad management, lying about compensation to new employees, and hiring unqualified people. Left because of management, and unrealistic hours, not the job itself.
Pros
Job duties are easy
Cons
Management is corrupt
Easy going, friendly environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 15, 2016
I loved this job. I would highly recommend this opportunity to anyone that I know. This job was very flexible and wanted to work with you to keep your home/work life balanced.
Pros
Decent pay, friendly co-workers, open door policy
Cons
low benifits, hard to advance
Layback job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2016
Working here is pretty layback and what I like about it most is that i don't have nobody on my back, I learned how to deal with all types of people and also learned how to adapt to any environment and how to stay calm and collective during intense situations , building management are really nice they help me out and I help them out as well , I get along with all my co workers and we are all one, the hardest thing about my job is staying up because most of the time its not busy so i would just sit for 8 hours doing nothing
I liked the people I work with
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 20, 2016
I like dealing with the clients and some of the challenging aspects of the job. I don't feel there is a chance of advancement.
I've got to meet some wonderful people doing this. I loved working along side of the client. There were day's my multi-tasking skills where tested.

Down side, sometimes you don't get to see the best side of people.
Pros
The client I worked with was really nice and allowed me some growth
Cons
I didn't like the degrading attitudes I was met with by some people.
Stable place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 4, 2016
Stable place to work,and enjoyed meeting new people and talking with them. Enjoyed learning security work from a different perspective.
Pros
Benifits with the job
Cons
No room for pay raises
Good corporate culture, poor local support
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 4, 2016
It seems that the Corporate Culture of Whelan is among the best in the Security business. The executive level management has a real connection to the staff. Whelan takes a bottom up approach to leadership where the lowest man on the ladder has a voice and the office of the CEO is open to suggestions. This is refreshing in the Security Industry which is refreshing. I have had excellent interactions with executive level management. My poor experience has to do with poor leadership at the local branch level leadership. Over the past 3 years there have been a total of 5 branch managers. The micromanaging style, the questioning of every decision, the turnover, and the failure to interact and communicate on a timely basis makes this company difficult to work for in my region. There is also something about the finance department which can't seem to get paychecks right. In the past 6 months there have been 3-4 payroll errors.
Pros
Good corporate culture on the Executive level
Cons
little management support on the local level, poor payroll accuracy.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2016
As a veteran you would think my experience would count but with that company is does not also they like to work you like a dog. They do not have advancement. Also they treat the hard workers like slackers, and the slackers like hard workers
Pros
Cons
management
Be careful
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2016
Every day the Supervisor is on shift there is a change in post orders verbally and not written in the post order book, but you will be expected enforce policies not written down.

Snitching and backstabbing by co workers, depending on where you work you are allowed to be on your cell phone when its slow

Management has no clue whats going on at the different job sites.

Supervisor at my current job site will snitch to management on every issue. EVERY issue.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
to many to list
Steady hours, great location
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 2, 2016
When properly manned with the right amount of officers, job work/personal time is easily managed. As with any security job, the greatest difficulty is when you don't have enough offices to cover each shift. Overtime is nice but it does begin to wear on you.
The site supervisor is great to work with and easy to talk with and she does make sure se stays on top of things. Management however is slow to respond at times and need to come up with a plan to address that issue. Co workers are alright at best, not to much interaction except during shift change. While one or two are serious about the job, the rest are here merely for a paycheck. Overall a decent company to work for, promotion wise, it seems that it is limited.
Pros
Free snacks and beverages while on shift, decent pay, depending on shift, free shuttle to public transportation
Cons
slow hiring process with internal security officers, response time with upper management seems a little slow.
Great place to work to learn basic security skills.Doesn't have a lot of growth within.Pay is not great
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2016
Wouldn't recommend this company unless you really want a job.The management is poor at the office.The pay is poor.The hiring process is long and after all of that no even worth all the hard work you went threw to get the job.Best thing about the whole company is set hours once you receive a site.
Pros
Set hours, good sites to work at
Cons
Poor pay, no growth within, no armed positions, poor management
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 29, 2016
I was hired at Whelan after really needing a job. I was in school when i started and the pay was better than what i was getting. Once school was out and i had more time pay was great. Over time is beautiful. Being able to work multiple sites is refreshing to me and slightly breaks up the monotony. Management really tries to work with you and accommodate your plans. I work third shift and yes the hardest thing to do is staying awake. Then again I'm a person that likes peace and quiet (other than tv noise) Overall I like the job.
Pros
Pay and overtime, no micromanagement
Cons
monotonous and boring. high turnover
Whelan is a company thats been a round for sixty five years.
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 2, 2016
Whelan security is a good company but it's not for me. I have been doing security for a wile There is no chance for advancement . I am a single father who is trying to find a new career to venture into.
Pros
Nice people to work with.
Cons
No chance for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7