Whelan Security Employee Reviews in United States

Good corporate culture, poor local support
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 4, 2016
It seems that the Corporate Culture of Whelan is among the best in the Security business. The executive level management has a real connection to the staff. Whelan takes a bottom up approach to leadership where the lowest man on the ladder has a voice and the office of the CEO is open to suggestions. This is refreshing in the Security Industry which is refreshing. I have had excellent interactions with executive level management. My poor experience has to do with poor leadership at the local branch level leadership. Over the past 3 years there have been a total of 5 branch managers. The micromanaging style, the questioning of every decision, the turnover, and the failure to interact and communicate on a timely basis makes this company difficult to work for in my region. There is also something about the finance department which can't seem to get paychecks right. In the past 6 months there have been 3-4 payroll errors.
Pros
Good corporate culture on the Executive level
Cons
little management support on the local level, poor payroll accuracy.
Terrible company to work for
Lead EMT/ Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2016
Terrible company to work for. horrible benefits. Management is a joke. Pay is terrible with no room for advancement. If anywhere else were hiring I wouldn't be working here
fun place
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 27, 2016
The pay is not worth what all you have to do and deal with. Most everyone is great to work with. The uniforms are ok. You have to make badges for all visitors, employees and vendors. You have to check all interior and exterior doors.
Plenty of Advancement Opportunities
CLIENT SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2016
Great company to work for, great leaders. Advanced from a regular Security Officer in Houston to a Client Service Manager is Austin within 4 years.
n/a
Securtiy Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2016
Whelan security offers great pay at certain sites. the management is doomed it can be a very unprofessional environment and you don't have alot of moral support from you superiors. the site i work at pays well for the stress levels.
I wouldn't
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2016
If you need a place to learn some basics, then go for it. Turn over is high and they are racist.

A typical day starts out with a briefing,then you spend the next 7.75 hours chasing ghost calls, and being ordered around by an egotistical supervisor. Co workers and management are lazy

If you follow their so called chain of command, nothing will happen. At best they will force you you to resign, or ignore your issue outright.

The management will stab you in the back while preaching teamwork. You will also be set up for failure,

The hardest part of the job was going in to work daily and dealing with a non professional management staff

The most enjoyable part was the service I was able to give the people I was there to protect.
Pros
location
Cons
too many to list
good
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 10, 2016
The people and management are all nice. The pay is ok better than some places. You'll get CPR/First Aid/AED training and certification.
Liked my crew
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  US BankApril 9, 2016
I learned a lot from co-workers about jobs and how to do them right and on time allowed. Do miss working with them. Was let go.
Great Company
Employee Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  KentuckyApril 4, 2016
Family owned company so it feels small but lots of experience. Day to day learning opportunities. Very supportive management team.
Steady hours, great location
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 2, 2016
When properly manned with the right amount of officers, job work/personal time is easily managed. As with any security job, the greatest difficulty is when you don't have enough offices to cover each shift. Overtime is nice but it does begin to wear on you.
The site supervisor is great to work with and easy to talk with and she does make sure se stays on top of things. Management however is slow to respond at times and need to come up with a plan to address that issue. Co workers are alright at best, not to much interaction except during shift change. While one or two are serious about the job, the rest are here merely for a paycheck. Overall a decent company to work for, promotion wise, it seems that it is limited.
Pros
Free snacks and beverages while on shift, decent pay, depending on shift, free shuttle to public transportation
Cons
slow hiring process with internal security officers, response time with upper management seems a little slow.
had fun driving around Wal-mart parking lot
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 14, 2016
had the fun talking to people at wal-mart. helping the elderly with there stuff. helping people find there cars or truck.
Pros
work by yourself
Cons
no healthcare
Bad Hours and low pay
Flex Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2016
They pushed me around frequently into different positions and the pay would fluctuate. The hours were always rough and whenever tried to requesting time off it was like finding a needle in a hay stack. The management was very poor and not understanding or cared about the employees well being.
Pros
Coworkers were enjoyable to work with
Cons
Bad hours, bad pay, bad management
Great company to work for
Safety and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 2, 2016
Whelan Security is a great company to work for. They are willing to go the extra mile for their employees. The managers and supervisors are approachable and very helpful in the day to day operation's.
Pros
Laid back environment, helpful management team
Cons
None to explain
Awful
Fire Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 29, 2016
To sum up my time at this company... I went through their career advancement program and I couldn't advance when I applied. Forced overtime despite warning when I was hired I could not work unless given time in advance for child care. No management support. All workers were/are tired and upset. MillerCoors was my site and they fired the good and kept the lazy. Lots of backstabbers and just a very unhappy place to work shared view by more than half the workers! Remove management and working at that site would be nice.
Respectable Workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
A respectable workplace where I excelled at customer service. Hardest part of the job is repetitiveness, with no increased responsibility over years. Most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with tenants of the office building, and good relationship with the client.
Pros
Work location, work hours, good colleagues
Cons
Low pay, no increased responsibility with no promotion, repetitiveness.
Whelan Security
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 18, 2016
on a typical day at Whelan security I would arrive at my post ABB St. Louis. After clocking in I would begin monitor cameras, employee parking lot and machine operated gates while taking note every hour of my activate. Every hour I would walk a patrol to make sure nothing was out of the ordinary and that doors remain locked and gates remained closed.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
paying out of pocket for uniforms
Don't Do It
Security Supervisor/Shift Commander (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2016
Low moral, bad management, low pay, many working hours required almost every week. No uninterrupted breaks or lunches.
Unprofessional supervisors/management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KY 40324February 12, 2016
Very unorganized management. Keeps people in supervisor positions that they don't deserve or have the professional ability to manage. Worked for them for more than a year and nothing ever changed. Got one raise at 7 month mark and no more. The job itself is boring and easy, the problem is company does not appreciate its employees or compensate them appropriately. Very unprofessional management. Very rarely got a regular 40 hr work week, most of the time I was doing 54 hrs because of so much constant overtime, from losing employees every week, because of bad management, lying about compensation to new employees, and hiring unqualified people. Left because of management, and unrealistic hours, not the job itself.
Pros
Job duties are easy
Cons
Management is corrupt
Unorganized!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 7, 2016
I just started working for Whelan but unfortunately I quit today. I was scheduled to work at a location but couldn't find the place. I called every field supervisors and nobody could answer my calls. It wasn't until almost two hours later after my shift started and I was late people decided to call me to see what was wrong. To me this is very unprofessional and unorganized! Then for the top supervisor to say you should have called me, even when I did just made me mad. He proceeded to tell me the other supervisors phones were dead that's why they did not answer. What I think just made it even more bad was I even called two hours a head of time to see where I was suppose to go exactly, yet no answer. I ended up driving around for 20 minutes trying to find the location. After they finally called me they wanted to me to drive all the way back so I could relive the current officer. I just said "No, I am done. Thanks for the chance." Me being a new employee calling them all multiple times should have been a red flag to answer. Something was obviously wrong and I needed help.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management and very unorganized!
Whelan
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 5, 2016
Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone, Answer telephone calls within 4 rings, Identify cost saving opportunities for supplies and postage, Monitor and maintain adequate office supply inventory, Timely prepare rental car reservations
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
I had to drive a long way to get there.