Whelan Security Employee Reviews in United States

It's a typical security job The pay is not that good and management sometimes isn't that friendly.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOAugust 21, 2016
Is an OK job if you need a job for the summer I do. It's not a place I want to work permanently because the pay is not that consistent or that great but it also depends on the work site that you get but that worksites really go to more senior officers
Pros
Quick employment
Cons
Pay is not that good
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAAugust 21, 2016
Fast pace enviroment, Highly secured. Trainer. computer skills, knowledge word, excel, powerpoint. Great customer service skills required. knowledge of surroundings a must.
Easy fun place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 21, 2016
Whelan Security is an okay place to work. The hours are great and the job is easy. But the money is bad and they avoid giving you over time at all cost.
Pros
low pay dead end job
Cons
easy fun work place
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Safety and security (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 18, 2016
This is the worst company to work for. I gave close to 3yrs of my life to this company and all I got was used and abused by my manager. I worked every holiday, some weeks were 3 weeks straight before getting a day off. There were constant pay discrepancies. When addressed just broken promises of a pay correction on the next check. No advancement opportunities. I could go on and on but, I no longer work there, thank God.
Pros
Cons
Listed above
Fun work place
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 17, 2016
Whelan security is a okay place to work. The job is great but the money is not so great. They do occasionally give out bonuses like gift cards and lunch.
Pros
freedom
gave me a chance to save up my money
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 16, 2016
the company was ok but there wasnt good management , I feel the company is very cheap and will do anything to ensure their employees dnt get over there required hours ....even if that mean cutting peoples hours and changing their schedule so they dnt work everyday.
Easy going, friendly environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 15, 2016
I loved this job. I would highly recommend this opportunity to anyone that I know. This job was very flexible and wanted to work with you to keep your home/work life balanced.
Pros
Decent pay, friendly co-workers, open door policy
Cons
low benifits, hard to advance
Not a great company to work for.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 14, 2016
I cant say that its companies fault, but the management staff is not the best. Does not take much knowledge to work here, easy job. Security here is definitely a joke.
Pros
Sleep on duty
Cons
Whelan is a good place for students
Texas Instrument Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 9, 2016
A typical day at whelan Security is very chill, laid back environment.
Whelan has a good management team. I think the hardest part about the job is that its a high turnover rate as far as losing clients that whelan provide to the companies.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2016
As a veteran you would think my experience would count but with that company is does not also they like to work you like a dog. They do not have advancement. Also they treat the hard workers like slackers, and the slackers like hard workers
Pros
Cons
management

Want to know more about Whelan Security?

Ask a question
great company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2016
Great company to work for with great management. They listen to employees and make sure everyone is doing a great job. Its a good jobs , a lot to learn and a good challenge.
last resort
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 2, 2016
this is a company who claims to be employee focused and they are when it comes to flexibility in scheduling but that is about it. i went 32 day with out a day off before and i was promised an bonus for taking extra shift but never got it. this is a company that sounds good on paper but once you are actually there it is a completely different story. i would not recommend this company to anyone who isn't desperate.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
no breaks, sub-par compensation, uniform and licencing fees are expensive, uniforms are poor quality, it takes forever to replace uniforms, get paid minimum wage when in training
Very good company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2016
I really liked working for this company and would have stayed with them if asked when they lost account I was working at. I learned so much about security and management from this company.
Pros
enjoyed going to work
Cons
contract security so always chance of losing accounts.
i enjoy the people i work with, and i enjoy doing traffic control
Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  Lambert Arprt, MOAugust 1, 2016
I got my SIDA badge, so i can go inside the airport, i worked termal 1 and termal 2I work AOA, (aireo operations administrations) Did traffic control.
Pros
no lunch breaks
Cons
1 20 minute break and one 15 minute break thats it
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 29, 2016
I was hired at Whelan after really needing a job. I was in school when i started and the pay was better than what i was getting. Once school was out and i had more time pay was great. Over time is beautiful. Being able to work multiple sites is refreshing to me and slightly breaks up the monotony. Management really tries to work with you and accommodate your plans. I work third shift and yes the hardest thing to do is staying awake. Then again I'm a person that likes peace and quiet (other than tv noise) Overall I like the job.
Pros
Pay and overtime, no micromanagement
Cons
monotonous and boring. high turnover
Nissan Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJuly 25, 2016
Does not pay enough. You have to buy your own uniform the funding is terrible. The only raise you receive is when you become a Sgt
Nice place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 15, 2016
I loved this job because I was doing something I like to do and could help the customers. The hours were good and I could do my work quickly without issues.
Pros
good pace to work
Cons
had to move back to illinois
relaxed work enviornment
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 14, 2016
A typical work day at Whelen Security included watching security monitors and making routine office checks. While employed there I learned how to pay close attention to detail and question everything. My job was to be the eyes and make sure everyone was safe.
Depressing place to work!!!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2016
All individuals that are looking to join Whelan Security!!! Please, make sure that you think twice before joining this company and working Miller Coors contract. Milwaukee Whelan management is very unresponsive. You will be treated poorly. This means that after your 16-24 hour training you will be working mandatory over time. This is caused due to lack of officers at the site. Recently staffing was reduced, especially on the weekend. Morale of the officers is very low. This is caused by Miller Coors security management isn't working with Whelan, but demanding what they want above and beyond the contract. Basically, when you have former law enforcement officers working in the private sector and have no understanding of what private security business is and start running the operation like a police department. With the only one miss - security officers aren't trained to act and think like police officers. THINK TWICE BEFORE APPLYING!!!
Cons
High turnover, mandatory OT, disregard for people's plans
Decent Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2016
I worked at a site for three years when the previous company was underbid by Whelan. Enjoying the site, I transferred to Whelan where I quickly learned they were not up for such a large site as the one I was working at. Thus, after only a little more than a year Whelan was released from their contract and I was out of a job.

2.7