Whelan Security Employee Reviews

It's security.
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 23, 2017
Low bar for entry, as is typical of security jobs. As long as you show up and do your job, you'll have a job. Limited room for advancement, but better than other security companies. The pay is slightly above average, which means it's still low, just not as low as others.
Pros
Pays slightly higher than average for this industry.
Cons
Same low bar for entry as other security jobs.
Enjoyable at most times.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHApril 19, 2017
It was a very simple job, I wouldn't mind working there again. I actually have an interview with them soon. I love to know people are safe and secure, having a nice time watching games, attending concerts, etc.
Pros
Helping people have a safe, enjoyable time.
Cons
Standing for a while hurts your back and feet.
Nothing to say!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  UnipresApril 19, 2017
Although I have made some friends working here at Whelan Security, I would only recommend working here if you couldn't find a job somewhere else making more money. The benefits are sub-par and the hours suck, unless you are a full-time supervisor or employee that is lucky enough to get the weekends off.
Incompotent management
Doorman/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2017
This would have been a much better place to work if the management was capable of doing there job. The negative energy from the office trickles down to the work sites.
Foot Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KY 40324April 12, 2017
No. I hate this place. I hate this website. I just need a decent job. I work hard, and regardless of position I feel under utilized. Where's a job paying $10 /Hr with actual advancement opportunities for someone with no college?
Great place to work, low pay.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXApril 11, 2017
I loved working for Whelan, my schedule was great, and I was always taken care of when it counted. My only issue was the pay. I was told there would be raises but it never happened. If I could have made a little more money, I would still be working for them today because other than the pay, I never had an Issue with the company.
Pros
Great management, great work/life balance
Cons
Low pay
Whelan
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 10, 2017
Working for Whelan has been amazing. There are times where it can be stressful but the management team would always be there every step of the way and help get us through it. They've always taken care of us. They give us feedbacks on our work and they give us acknowledgement. Whelan has their own culture here. They listen and accommodate our needs. Hardest part of the job is when there are unexpected call offs and unexpected events that goes on. But we deal with it all professionally and find solutions quickly.
i enjoyed the people i worked with,met alot of new people
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2017
I was the security supervisor and monitored people and property. I also would fill-in for call-ins. I would do daily reports of the activities at the location where I worked.
Pros
plenty of overtime if you wanted it.
Cons
i was on cll 24/7
wages are ok but....
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  MissouriApril 8, 2017
management is a joke.. very corrupt and sexist. Don't expect to have a life because you will be working 7 days a week 12 hour shifts. They wont respect you and you dont have any chance of advancement
STAY CLEAR
Pros
wages
Cons
EVERYTHING
Work Place
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2017
Not bad place to work for good people good company.

A typical day at work is busy you get alot of deliveries food and etc and you have to stay alert. Majority of the people are kind calm place to work. The hardest part is not letting people get the best of you and throw you off of your A-game.
Truck Gate
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 6, 2017
My work day is very busy, I exit between 40 and 100 trucks a day and I enjoy the people contact as well as dealing with anything that may arise. For the most part my team mates are great we get along very well as a group and stand together. Management needs to communicate better with employees and really listen to their ideas and put a plan into action to make things work better. The hardest part of my day is when there is a never ending line of trucks and some of the clients get mad because of time constraints. I am most happy talking with the truckers I work with on a daily basis as well as Millercoors employees
Pros
30 min lunch break
Cons
Not enough supplies or availability of supervisors
Decent Pay but horrible turnover rate
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOApril 5, 2017
The job is easy but the site I work at is nothing but drama. We are now so short staffed that we don't even have a site supervisor nor do we have an Account Manager. The turnover rate is ridiculous and Whelan will not hire anybody so we get stuck working our days off. I like 2 days off that was my requirement but on the days I'm scheduled I told them I would work however much. Good luck getting days off or moving up in the company it will not happen
Pros
Decent Pay, Easy
Cons
Management, Short Staff, Drama, No days off
main issue is management
security officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2017
7 no call no shows is a lot before someone eventually is terminated. This is a just a prime example of how Whelan is starting to fall.. I wish management would be more mindful like it use to be
Pros
easy, $12 biweekly charge for health ins
Cons
management
Two thumbs down
Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 3, 2017
Complete daily activity reports, incident reports and patrols. Lack of communication, other employees do what they want. Low pay, high turnaround, no sick days. Hardest part of the job is dealing with unintelligent people. The most enjoyable part is getting off work.
pretty good place to work
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2017
Had no issues with management they are willing to work around your schedule. i started part time ended full time within a couple months good benefits good work envoriment
Pros
good pay
Cons
non
Great Company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2017
Great company to work for. They show all their employees the appreciation for the work you do and nothing goes unnoticed. Great benefits within the company as well as a great management team. Very family orientated company.
Usually small office with CCTV system.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 22, 2017
This company is a great stepping stone to finding better opportunities in security.

The teams are very team oriented, and very professional.

I enjoyed working with this company, and would recommend anyone else to apply.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
low pay, short breaks.
The most enjoyable
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 22, 2017
The most enjoyable part about the job is meeting new people from all over the world. The hardest is dealing with the weather. Its cold half the year and hot the other half. A typical day at work is basically giving instructions on what to do after drivers reach our facility.
Pros
No immediate supervisor on shift
Cons
weather
meet new people
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 20, 2017
arrive on site in the morning for two hours, check the sites floors and monitor the front of the building until the receptionist arrives. go back to the site in the evening for six hours and get the work vehicle from other building and drive back to site. after a while check the floors then bring the product to the other building. at the end of shift return the vehicle back to other building and then clock off.
Horrible pay
Security Officer/Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMarch 19, 2017
This company does not pay well. You get your hours but may get held over without warning. There is not much room for advancement. I was hired as a firefighter and really only worked as a security guard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7