Whelan Security Employee Reviews in United States

A typical day can often be monotonous.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 23, 2015
A typical day at work for me is often a little boring. My co-workers and I rotate between 3 different desks about once an hour. This is the only moving around we typically do on first shift except for our 30 minute lunch break. We sign in visitors and call their contact person to escort them, sett up WiFi codes, and issue badges to employees that forget to bring their regular badges into work. We also welcome employees coming into work and say goodbye to employees leaving for the day.
Pros
It is full time, overtime is sometimes available, benefits available
Cons
benefits are expensive and does not cover what I need.
Terrible company to work for
Lead EMT/ Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2016
Terrible company to work for. horrible benefits. Management is a joke. Pay is terrible with no room for advancement. If anywhere else were hiring I wouldn't be working here
Recommendable
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2016
I liked this company because they placed you in positions that were close to your place of residence as a means of convenience. The hours were flexible and worked well with me being a full time student and a single mother.
Good corporate culture, poor local support
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 4, 2016
It seems that the Corporate Culture of Whelan is among the best in the Security business. The executive level management has a real connection to the staff. Whelan takes a bottom up approach to leadership where the lowest man on the ladder has a voice and the office of the CEO is open to suggestions. This is refreshing in the Security Industry which is refreshing. I have had excellent interactions with executive level management. My poor experience has to do with poor leadership at the local branch level leadership. Over the past 3 years there have been a total of 5 branch managers. The micromanaging style, the questioning of every decision, the turnover, and the failure to interact and communicate on a timely basis makes this company difficult to work for in my region. There is also something about the finance department which can't seem to get paychecks right. In the past 6 months there have been 3-4 payroll errors.
Pros
Good corporate culture on the Executive level
Cons
little management support on the local level, poor payroll accuracy.
Plenty of Advancement Opportunities
CLIENT SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2016
Great company to work for, great leaders. Advanced from a regular Security Officer in Houston to a Client Service Manager is Austin within 4 years.
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAOctober 8, 2015
Monitors and authorizes entrance and departure of vehicles, cargo trucks and visitors.
Monitors and authorizes entrance and departure of employees and visitors.
Detects suspicious activities and watches for criminal acts and rule infractions.
Writes and inputs reports on property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons and unusual
occurrences using Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel and Power Point.
had fun driving around Wal-mart parking lot
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 14, 2016
had the fun talking to people at wal-mart. helping the elderly with there stuff. helping people find there cars or truck.
Pros
work by yourself
Cons
no healthcare
Productive and fun workplace
Gate Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2015
Working as a security officer with Whelan Security has been a great opportunity to work with an amazing company.
I will forever value this experience as I learned what it means to keep a property secure.
Pros
Secure property
Cons
short breaks
Great company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNDecember 14, 2015
Accounts are a lot of fun, overtime opportunities with events. Supervisors are great at making sure you have what you need, they are helpful.
Pros
management, working at accounts is fun
Cons
compensation is lacking, hours can be irregular
great place to work
Security officer/ Customer service associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 1, 2016
very productive and they always look out for their employees, they have good benefits, hours and vacation pay and good management team
Pros
free lunch
Great Company
Employee Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  KentuckyApril 4, 2016
Family owned company so it feels small but lots of experience. Day to day learning opportunities. Very supportive management team.
Bad company
Private Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 31, 2015
I've work for Whelan Security for 18 months. I have not receive 20 cents increase in pay. Pay for your own uniform, your own traing, and licenses. When you decide to return uniform, the company will not refund you your money. There is no advancement in the company, no payment increase.
Job security
security officer (Former Employee) –  Saint louis, MOSeptember 11, 2015
This is a place to gain secure employment, however their is no chances of advancement and it is a routine job. It would be nice to be able to negotiate the schedule and the hours at least once a year, and it would help to know that you have a chance to get more money. The management is pretty laid back but I don't see any compassion for the employees. The hardest part of the job was being a way from my kids from 2-10 especially every weekend. I did not like the fact that we could not rotate the schedule to accommodate all employees.
Pros
job security
Cons
no breaks, high health coverage, work every weekend
Unorganized!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 7, 2016
I just started working for Whelan but unfortunately I quit today. I was scheduled to work at a location but couldn't find the place. I called every field supervisors and nobody could answer my calls. It wasn't until almost two hours later after my shift started and I was late people decided to call me to see what was wrong. To me this is very unprofessional and unorganized! Then for the top supervisor to say you should have called me, even when I did just made me mad. He proceeded to tell me the other supervisors phones were dead that's why they did not answer. What I think just made it even more bad was I even called two hours a head of time to see where I was suppose to go exactly, yet no answer. I ended up driving around for 20 minutes trying to find the location. After they finally called me they wanted to me to drive all the way back so I could relive the current officer. I just said "No, I am done. Thanks for the chance." Me being a new employee calling them all multiple times should have been a red flag to answer. Something was obviously wrong and I needed help.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management and very unorganized!
Easiest job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSDecember 9, 2015
Great job but poor management. Equality is unheard of at this place. The managers show favoritism. If a problem arises sure you'll be able to set up a meeting but they don't try to fix the problem, it goes in one ear and out the other.
Abba Truck Repairs
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJanuary 22, 2016
I loved working here with my uncle being the owner of this wonderful company i learned a bunch about how to run a business and well i built more of my customer service skills
Not enough opportunities
Security officer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 4, 2015
A typical day starts with receiving pass on information from the previous shift and then conducting patrols. We respond to emergency call and customer assistance requests.

As far as management goes, they have proven to be a good group of people. Most of my co-workers are reliable and helpful.

The hardest part of the job is little chance for advancement and the pay dies not compensate for all of the work we provide.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I worked hard and made someones day a little bit better.
Whelan Security
Security Officer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 10, 2015
Afternoon shift (3PM to 11PM). worked with two other employees to monitor and secure a 1,300 employee building using cameras and walking patrols. I learned how to operate various security systems with computers and cameras. If you don't keep on point you become complacent which leads to mistakes being made.
Pros
Decent paycheck
Cons
Not a lot of room to expand ones self in the security world
Great Company
H.R Recruiter/ Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 24, 2015
They are a Great company to work for great benefits management always willing to listen you can grow with the company if you are able to do the job
Pros
great company
Cons
need to advance
Very Busy everyday
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 22, 2015
I help exit trucks and enjoy the truckers as well as training of new hires and assisting where needed. This is a very very busy site to work at and mostly pleasant as well..day starts at 0530am and ends at around 2pm.
Pros
have fun most of the time
Cons
not enough money or good benefits