Whelan Security Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work
P/T Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 28, 2015
It is a great place to work. I learn how to deal with different type of people's behavior and I work with amazing co-workers.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Insurance
Great Company
H.R Recruiter/ Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 24, 2015
They are a Great company to work for great benefits management always willing to listen you can grow with the company if you are able to do the job
Pros
great company
Cons
need to advance
Wouldn't Recommend
Security Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 22, 2015
I worked for Whelan for 7 years, in that 7 years, I was never granted an opportunity to advance. I applied for a CSM position and was informed that my application was thrown out. I remained a Site Supervisor from 2009-2015 at 1 site, where we could not get any help. The Dallas branch office had what seemed like a monthly complete turnover of the Branch Personell. My site remained short handed for over a year, and Whelan ended up losing the contract.
Pros
Great sites
Cons
Poor upper management
fun place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IllinoisDecember 16, 2015
I enjoyed being a security officer for GSI in Assumption, IL. I enjoyed working with my coworkers as well as the employees at GSI.
Pros
great people to work with and for, good pay
Cons
driving distance
Productive and fun workplace
Gate Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2015
Working as a security officer with Whelan Security has been a great opportunity to work with an amazing company.
I will forever value this experience as I learned what it means to keep a property secure.
Pros
Secure property
Cons
short breaks
Great company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNDecember 14, 2015
Accounts are a lot of fun, overtime opportunities with events. Supervisors are great at making sure you have what you need, they are helpful.
Pros
management, working at accounts is fun
Cons
compensation is lacking, hours can be irregular
Good Start.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2015
Overall this company is a good place to start in the Security field, for younger persons interested in law enforcement.
Pros
Self directed
Cons
Yearly cost of living adjustment are few & far between.
Easiest job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSDecember 9, 2015
Great job but poor management. Equality is unheard of at this place. The managers show favoritism. If a problem arises sure you'll be able to set up a meeting but they don't try to fix the problem, it goes in one ear and out the other.
Excellent Security Company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 8, 2015
A company that always works with employee's and customers to ensure quality service. Whelan Security ensures the highest quality employees are hired to maximize the benefit to the customer.
stacy jackson
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 7, 2015
Whelan security was a security company that I really wanted to grow, I have learned the function of the job in a timely manner. I have good people skills so I dealt with all type of truck drivers ,because I worked at Miller Coors. The hardest part of the job was when the truck drivers load was not ready and the had to wait for hours. I still keep in touch with my co- workers.
Pros
sometimes free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Great Place to work
Security Professional (Current Employee) –  Centennial, CODecember 3, 2015
Amazing Place to be employed. They respect you, sometime the weather conditions can be challenging. The uniforms are issued to you new and team are willing to train you.
Front Desk Receptionist Security
Security Officer/ Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2015
A typical day at my job involves greeting and signing in registered visitors. What I have learned since being employed there is everyone likes to be remembered no matter how short the interaction. My co-workers are more like family. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people from all over the world.
Pros
I have a good schedule.
Cons
Not getting paid enough.
Very good company to work for.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 2, 2015
Good company and they work well with the employees. Had good choices of places to work and were always on time with correct payroll.
Bad company
Private Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 31, 2015
I've work for Whelan Security for 18 months. I have not receive 20 cents increase in pay. Pay for your own uniform, your own traing, and licenses. When you decide to return uniform, the company will not refund you your money. There is no advancement in the company, no payment increase.
interesting company to work for, it is however; what you make of it
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2015
This is a company that is pretty interesting to work for, depending on your placement and job position.

I worked my way from Special Response Officer, to Site Supervisor, finishing at Account Manager.

If you go here, you're sure to gain a lot of experience both career wise and in regards to life.

This is literally one of those companies where you get out of it what you put into it! Be yourself, be active, and chase your dreams.
terrible
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 27, 2015
i would not suggest anyone working here terrible place to work they dont work with you hands on and expect you to learn everything on your own
A typical day can often be monotonous.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 23, 2015
A typical day at work for me is often a little boring. My co-workers and I rotate between 3 different desks about once an hour. This is the only moving around we typically do on first shift except for our 30 minute lunch break. We sign in visitors and call their contact person to escort them, sett up WiFi codes, and issue badges to employees that forget to bring their regular badges into work. We also welcome employees coming into work and say goodbye to employees leaving for the day.
Pros
It is full time, overtime is sometimes available, benefits available
Cons
benefits are expensive and does not cover what I need.
Very Busy everyday
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 22, 2015
I help exit trucks and enjoy the truckers as well as training of new hires and assisting where needed. This is a very very busy site to work at and mostly pleasant as well..day starts at 0530am and ends at around 2pm.
Pros
have fun most of the time
Cons
not enough money or good benefits
Come to work
Merchant Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 22, 2015
Very self explanatory duties, great experience for new oncoming security guards, multiple job sites for guards, your co-workers are really your teammates
Pros
Sun exposure
Cons
Options of hours to work
Good experince to start
Armed security officer (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, MOOctober 22, 2015
The company is not bad. it offers you a lot of extra hours and some good pay locations. But you want to be armed if you are looking to be paid well.

2.7