Whelan Security

Whelan Security Employer Reviews

Decent job before I started school
Security Officer (Former Employee), Longmont, COFebruary 6, 2014
Conducted security patrols to assess the integrity of all Seagate installations.
Serious Workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: the pay is great. you get to travel and see celebrities.
Cons: one 20 minute break once a day on a 12 hour standing shift. very limited restroom breaks.
When I arrived to work at the Metrodome, I would report to the supervisor and sign out my walkie talkie and ear piece. I would then be stationed to either the Convention Center or around the dome to help secure the area for big events. I secured NFL games, Monster Truck shows, soccer games and other special events on the field and in the stands. I would – more... show people to their seats, enforce the fire marshals rules and make sure everyone was safe. I would preform pat downs and bag checks as well as scanning tickets and directing traffic.

This was my first security job so I learned a lot from this. I learned how to work for long hours without a break. I learned how to respond quickly to dangerous and threatening situations. I also learned how to watch many different people and things at once and how to respond to different and unusual situations. I learned how to act in the eyes of the media as well.

I never interacted much with management. They were scarcely around and when they were it was only to relieve us to use the restroom or to have a break. From what I saw of them, they were friendly.

The above statement goes for co-workers as well. I have never really interacted with them since this was a security job and we were never in the same place for the long shifts. Again, what I saw of my coworkers was seriousness and friendliness.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with very drunk men at the NFL games. They were a bit provocative, but I seemed to be able to handle them well for my lack of security experience.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to watch the NFL games and the Monster Truck conventions. – less
its just a job
Security Officer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: money, thats about it
Cons: no health care, not very stable, your experiance will depend on the post.
its just a job I'll be long winded but as non-biased as possible. This job is an ok job for a person in college/ needs flexible hours or someone in desperate need of a job, but this is not a career. Your experience will be depend on the post you are assigned to. My problems with the company are, There is no health insurance provided by the company, – more... your posts are not secure, you might be at a post for a few years busting your butt at a site and all of the sudden Whelan looses the client, because another security company is charging them less, Or your fellow officers are not doing their job and something big happens, and they blame Whelan. this means your hours and pay rate are not very secure. (Not a personal experience
) there is no 401k, or other benefits. The people who do scheduling are not the smartest, or the kindest bunch of people, and don't know really the rules of the site they send you too. You can't really call in sick without them threatening your job. Upper management has no clue what's really going on. If you have any issues with an employee or supervision, and would like some sort of mediation between yourself and the person you are butting heads with, from the office, instead of trying to solve a problem, the office will just move you to another sight and don't care about how the hours affects you, or your loss of money. One upside though, you may make more money, if you're lucky and they move you to another site that pays more. Though, more than likely you and you will loose hours, end up on a bad shift. – less
Twin Cities Area
Lead Security Officer (Current Employee), Twin CitiesJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: good accounts with some good people working with you.
Cons: branch management, lack of training, education, promotions, lack of ethics.
Not all accounts are the same... some are a little better than others but you have to take it all in stride.

The company in this area however, needs a good shake down from management on down. There is a lot of "good ole boy" and unethical practices going on. This is a company that, right now, is bleeding accounts and I can see why. And getting quality – more... accounts are slim.

Don't ask for training or education or even promotions... not going to happen. They will promise you a lot and show very little interest in keeping good officers around. If you want a job just for a pay check... this is a good start!!! Strictly, hands off and only observe and report... but watch out of what you observe and then report... it could just paint a big target painted on your back and you could be looking at a one way ticket out the door.

And you will find that the branch management and local HR (non-bias of course) will find every way to make it to where you will want to quit. That way they don't have to pay for unemployment. And this is what they do to officers that have top marks on performance reviews and that take the extra initiative to becoming a better officers.

If you are looking to move up in the company, you better be a really close friend or someone who is family that is higher up on the management ladder. Doing the right thing and taking it upon yourself to improve won't get you anywhere. – less
good security company
Security Officer (Former Employee), Secaucus, NJJanuary 28, 2014
relaxing calm,feel like you are at home,welcoming,stress free,
Flexible hours
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: benefits
unreliable coworkers little admin support

pay lower for work expected and done
Great work enviroment with great coworkers
Security officer at ALLTEL call center (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJanuary 24, 2014
I normally would work a 12 hour shift; 5 days a week. My job consisted of alot of perimeter patrols and package handling around noon time. My co-workers and management were great people and even the employess at the call center were friendly.
Security at Pennzoil
Security Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2014
I clock in at 7:00 am. The loading dock is normally not too busy that early in the morning. The hardest part of the job is keeping myself busy while there isn't anyone coming in or out of the docking area. My coworkers don't posses the same organizational skills as I do. When I am relieved for my breaks they don't typically manage the dock as I do. – more... I clock out at 6:00 pm. – less
A good environment
Security Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2014
My day began with my patrol in the tunnel under my building. While there I've learned fire drill procedure for a high rise building. My coworker are good to work with and know there jobs and the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people
Control entry and exiting in a foreign trade zone
Security Officer (Current Employee), Georgetown, KYJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: guaranteed employment
Cons: have to call for relief and have to wait until relief arrives, no pay raises
Hardest part of the job is working all the holidays and being away from family. Job is enjoyable and work alone. Typical day starts very early.
Challenging
Security Officer (Former Employee), Saint Louis , MissouriJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: double standards
Hardest part of the job was dealing with the elements outside and inconsistent disciplinary actions taken against officers. Some officers fired immediately, some were given 10-20 write-ups and multiple suspensions before they were fired.
Fun place to work, management is very helpful and personable.
Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 9, 2014
I love working for Whelan. They are a great organization to work for. The job is very demanding and can be tedious, but standing post and making sure that you are vigilant to all times, is a must. Anyone with military background or the like would love Whelan!!
Fun Place to Work
Security Guard (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: good working environments
Cons: benefits are not good
Very good company, well managed, I enjoy my current assignment which is an automobile Technical Center. I enjoy the interaction and exposure to other segments rather than just security.
Productive and nice setting working at Shops At Canal Place
Captain (Current Employee), New OrleansJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: free parking, downtown access
Cons: short breaks, limited eateries
A typical day at work is making sure all employees are doing their task required and to make sure all patrons feel safe and secure that security is around to assist them with any questions or concerns. As a Captain at Shops and Canal Place I've learned that patrons are always right and no matter what kind of day you are having you must always be positive – more... and able to assist tourist and patrons with a smile. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with interesting people and meeting different people. The hardest part of my job is dealing with employees attitudes. – less
Good environment with numerous interaction with different people
Security Officer (Former Employee), Saint Louis, MODecember 31, 2013
Secure worksite from any threats. The hardest part of my job was having to contact police when needed if I couldn't handle a situation. I got to see many different people of different cultures.
This Company Stinks
Security Officer (Former Employee), St Louis, Hanley officeDecember 28, 2013
Long time employees get poor posts or are cut to part time to force them out. Have seen one security officer leave his post for hours and be rehired to that post, but stable officers harassed. Management is a joke and cares nothing for their employees. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY
Multiple sites
Security Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2013
Pros: constant change
Cons: management constant changing
Depending on the site depended on what was required of me. Some sites required all employees/visitors to sign in and out with security. I would monitor all the camera's and monitor anyone coming or going from the main gate. Every hour patrol both inside and outside of property. Answer the phone, write daily reports, fax, file, and inform shipping or – more... receiving when a truck came on grounds. Other sites I would have to patrol grounds every 30 minutes checking in with manager/s and keeping an eye on parking lot for any trouble. Most of the time I would work alone and a few of the sites I would be relieving or be relieved by other Security Officers. – less
A good job to have
Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 18, 2013
I would monitor the front desk and sign in any visitors and patrol the premises on an hourly basis. The hardest part of the job was having to constantly remind people of the rules and guidelines and the most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers.
Hard work for little pay.
Security Supervisor (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 11, 2013
Pros: always get my 40 hours every week
Cons: not paid enough
security officer supervisor makes sure all the officers have reported to work and are assigned duties. He also organizes the work schedule, including the officers' rotations and breaks. At the beginning of the shift, the security officer supervisor inspects the team to ensure they are wearing their uniforms properly and have all of their equipment. – more... He briefs the security team at the beginning of a new shift to update them on developments since the last shift and shares information about any security concerns. – less
security officer
Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2013
Pros: free parking
*typical day at work was complete a daily log, lock doors, and assist vistors
*i learned how to operate elevators, turn off water in restrooms, and how to operate fire panel
*my co workers was nice and easy to work with
*the hardest thing about my job was having to stay pass my time because of a person being late
*the most enjoyable part of my job was – more... having the tenants thank me and tell me how good of a worker i was – less

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Photos