Whelan Security

Whelan Security Employer Reviews

Poor Organization
Lead Officer (Current Employee), Landover, MDApril 8, 2014
Pros: breaks
Cons: no professional development, pay discrepancies, no sick leave unprofessional organization
This company is horrible.Corporate is unprofessional they cheat you out your money if you dont pay attention. If you dont contact them via email to have proof of the conversation they lie to make themselves look good. Officers have went 3 months at a time without seeing or hearing from corporate numerous of times.
Very fun place to work.
Security Officer (Current Employee), MOApril 5, 2014
A typical day at work for me is fun. Sometimes it can be very demanding and stressful but I enjoy my job. I have learned a lot about different things. The owners of the site I work at expect a lot from me. Most security officers job is to observe and report. Mine is too but I have learned how to monitor a fire alarm system, how to reset elevators, how – more... to check HVAC systems, and so much more. The hardest part of my job is the pay. The most enjoyable part is knowing these people depend on me to be the eyes and ears of their company. – less
Good Place
Supervisor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2014
One of the best companies I have ever worked for. The insurance was excellent, as well as the job itself.
challenging
Sgt. Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 26, 2014
The different posts that you are placed at requires a person to have much patience,because you're dealing with all types of officers as well as customers.
Horrible place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2014
Cons: horrible management, very poorly run company
I was originally told that I would have a supervisor position then they pulled a bait and switch and told me the day of orientation that the person that had that position previously is coming back and they are giving him his job back (which was not true) then after being there a year they told me that they do not give raises (something they failed to – more... mention when I was interviewing). A horrible company to work for which is why they have a high turnover rate....extremely bad management as well. – less
GREAT JOB!
Security Officer (Current Employee), Metairie, LaMarch 23, 2014
I absolutely love working for Whelan Security the supervisors are wonderful and they are always showing compassion and friendliness to all of their employees.
Extremely stressful job with poor management
Safety and Security Officer (Current Employee), Martinsville, VAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: get 40 hours a week, good co-workers
Cons: terrible benefits, poor management, no breaks, no room for promotion
I have only found two good things about this job is you can get your 40 hours a week if you're willing to work and the co-workers are decent. Other than that, I do not recommend this company to anyone. Most days are boring depending on the shift you work but everything this job entails is not worth the pay in my opinion and there is no room for advancement – more... whatsoever. It doesn't matter if you half-way work or go above and beyond, everyone is making the same pay. – less
Dont work for this place, if you want to make money (good place to work for you if your retired, dont need this job for money)
Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis MOMarch 16, 2014
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: terriable management, low pay
Gave one star because there is no option for zero stars...Terrible management! I was treated like a child before I started working, he told me "You better be at your location or I will be coming after you" Before getting hired I invested lots of time and money for training. Then found out I would get paid .50 cents higher then minimum wage.
A good place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee), Erlanger, KYMarch 10, 2014
A good place to work if you don't care about low hourly pay and working weekends and nights. Security is a big responsibility and you have to be cut out for it. Also the job can boring at times.
security
Floater Security Guard (Former Employee), Southfield, MIMarch 8, 2014
Pros: nun
Cons: no real life
the treated me horable and made me drive all over the state with my own vehicle and own money and didn't pay enough to pay for the gas. so when i did get paid i never had money for food or even fun
No drama involved
Security Officer (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 5, 2014
Calm company if you stay out of the office politics. It is a job, not a career path.
A great family-ran company to work for!
Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: great training
Cons: depends on the site you are stationed
This company has great training and a thoughtful staff to make your security job one to remember. They will spend time to match you to a job site, and if you do your part, they will back you 100%
Reliable employees
Security officer (Former Employee), Toone TNFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: always has down time.
Cons: no incentives.
Part of every shift is down time where you can eat or just relax
Horrible place
Security Officer (Current Employee), Louisville Ky.February 9, 2014
Pros: easy work.
Cons: incompetent management
I work for this company and the turnover rate is extremely high. They can't keep guards because they treat the ones they have so bad. There is no room for advancement when they hire people from the outside to be management type positions. You don't get raises or paid sick days. I have been here for over a year and have seen 60 officers, supervisors, – more... and managers hired and fired. Not the family friendly company it portrays to be. – less
Decent job before I started school
Security Officer (Former Employee), Longmont, COFebruary 6, 2014
Conducted security patrols to assess the integrity of all Seagate installations.
Serious Workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: the pay is great. you get to travel and see celebrities.
Cons: one 20 minute break once a day on a 12 hour standing shift. very limited restroom breaks.
When I arrived to work at the Metrodome, I would report to the supervisor and sign out my walkie talkie and ear piece. I would then be stationed to either the Convention Center or around the dome to help secure the area for big events. I secured NFL games, Monster Truck shows, soccer games and other special events on the field and in the stands. I would – more... show people to their seats, enforce the fire marshals rules and make sure everyone was safe. I would preform pat downs and bag checks as well as scanning tickets and directing traffic.

This was my first security job so I learned a lot from this. I learned how to work for long hours without a break. I learned how to respond quickly to dangerous and threatening situations. I also learned how to watch many different people and things at once and how to respond to different and unusual situations. I learned how to act in the eyes of the media as well.

I never interacted much with management. They were scarcely around and when they were it was only to relieve us to use the restroom or to have a break. From what I saw of them, they were friendly.

The above statement goes for co-workers as well. I have never really interacted with them since this was a security job and we were never in the same place for the long shifts. Again, what I saw of my coworkers was seriousness and friendliness.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with very drunk men at the NFL games. They were a bit provocative, but I seemed to be able to handle them well for my lack of security experience.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to watch the NFL games and the Monster Truck conventions. – less
its just a job
Security Officer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: money, thats about it
Cons: no health care, not very stable, your experiance will depend on the post.
its just a job I'll be long winded but as non-biased as possible. This job is an ok job for a person in college/ needs flexible hours or someone in desperate need of a job, but this is not a career. Your experience will be depend on the post you are assigned to. My problems with the company are, There is no health insurance provided by the company, – more... your posts are not secure, you might be at a post for a few years busting your butt at a site and all of the sudden Whelan looses the client, because another security company is charging them less, Or your fellow officers are not doing their job and something big happens, and they blame Whelan. this means your hours and pay rate are not very secure. (Not a personal experience
) there is no 401k, or other benefits. The people who do scheduling are not the smartest, or the kindest bunch of people, and don't know really the rules of the site they send you too. You can't really call in sick without them threatening your job. Upper management has no clue what's really going on. If you have any issues with an employee or supervision, and would like some sort of mediation between yourself and the person you are butting heads with, from the office, instead of trying to solve a problem, the office will just move you to another sight and don't care about how the hours affects you, or your loss of money. One upside though, you may make more money, if you're lucky and they move you to another site that pays more. Though, more than likely you and you will loose hours, end up on a bad shift. – less
Twin Cities Area
Lead Security Officer (Current Employee), Twin CitiesJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: good accounts with some good people working with you.
Cons: branch management, lack of training, education, promotions, lack of ethics.
Not all accounts are the same... some are a little better than others but you have to take it all in stride.

The company in this area however, needs a good shake down from management on down. There is a lot of "good ole boy" and unethical practices going on. This is a company that, right now, is bleeding accounts and I can see why. And getting quality – more... accounts are slim.

Don't ask for training or education or even promotions... not going to happen. They will promise you a lot and show very little interest in keeping good officers around. If you want a job just for a pay check... this is a good start!!! Strictly, hands off and only observe and report... but watch out of what you observe and then report... it could just paint a big target painted on your back and you could be looking at a one way ticket out the door.

And you will find that the branch management and local HR (non-bias of course) will find every way to make it to where you will want to quit. That way they don't have to pay for unemployment. And this is what they do to officers that have top marks on performance reviews and that take the extra initiative to becoming a better officers.

If you are looking to move up in the company, you better be a really close friend or someone who is family that is higher up on the management ladder. Doing the right thing and taking it upon yourself to improve won't get you anywhere. – less
good security company
Security Officer (Former Employee), Secaucus, NJJanuary 28, 2014
relaxing calm,feel like you are at home,welcoming,stress free,
Flexible hours
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: benefits
unreliable coworkers little admin support

pay lower for work expected and done

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Photos