Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Very Fun
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2017
Productivity and fun environment to work. Very great co- workers at all time. Hope to work with this company as long as possible. I would recommend anyone to thus company.
Horrible Company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMarch 10, 2017
This company has no respect for students that work for them... They are not very employee friendly... If you are in school and working for this company, do not tell them your plans after you graduate, they will hold it against you..
No growth
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNMarch 8, 2017
Worked the overnights with no equipment supplied and was suppose to by my own. Management was not around to help when you needed any training. Manager who was there was rude and not helpful.
Pros
Cons
Pay no benifits
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Security Guard-Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 7, 2017
Management and my other coworkers are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. I enjoy working at my post, which is a receptionist area. It is nice to interact with a variety of people each day.
great pay and benefits
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 4, 2017
My personal boss was amazing! The company paid well where I was located. The only problem I had was people not showing up for work and you have to stay until someone else comes to relieve you from your post.
Pros
pays well, works with your personal schedual, easy job
Cons
uncomfortable uniforms that do NOT fit well, when someone calls in you have to cover
may be a good place at other locations, but not in the Midwest
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSMarch 1, 2017
in my interview i told my account manager i can not do overnights, 4 months later im on overnights and i haven't slept in 3 days. people are constantly being fired or quitting. it is miss managed and they view the guards as expendable
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no paid sick leave
You have the opportunity to catch a sporting event or concert while working
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 28, 2017
Unorganized and no training provided. They tell you you will be working for the sports team and not them, bait and switch. Actually voiced that I was there for a sales position with the Chiefs and the Royals not a security job. They make it impossible for you to be hired by the sports teams as there is a non compete clause. Once you start with them, you have to be unemployed from them for a year before submitting a resume to any arena they work.
Great place and culture to work in staff and manegement are great
Firefighter/EMT (Current Employee) –  Stanfield, AZFebruary 28, 2017
Everyday I go to my job I am thankful to have a place like this to call my workplace. Everyone is very nice and helpful, the job itself is very laid back but also very professional its a good balance.
Good work enviroment, sometimes lots of overtime
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNFebruary 25, 2017
The people you work with are capable and cooperative, management is run rather nicely given the circumstances. The job is a bit strenuous as it involves long hours on your feet, with little breaks.
Pros
Ocassionally free food
Cons
short breaks
Fairly decent place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 24, 2017
I have no personal complaints with the company, however I will say that it is occasional miscommunication that occurs and some employees morale isn't the greatest. But usually if you request something it's done in a timely fashion.
Strict workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 23, 2017
A lot of protocols. management is willing to work with you
Pros
management is very helpful
Cons
typically no breaks.
wouldn't recommend
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Delano, CAFebruary 22, 2017
They say they will do this and that for their workers and they don't they always mess up on pay and upper management has no idea about what goes on at the work site they lied to us! I will not refer anyone here
Productive workplace
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Whelan is a good company to start with or begin a career. They have room for growth, and a lot of things to teach you. Although a client can be difficult, Whelan always protects their employees.
Employee driven work environment
Security Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 20, 2017
Whelan Security is an employee driven work environment where Management's #1 goal is to support and develop great talent. This well balanced approach provides the highest quality product for the client.
Pros
great management.
Cons
pay is on the low end
Not to hard but annoying
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 20, 2017
Nice place to work hard to get management to do stuff when you are short on people. My boss is awesome he tries to take care of is employees the best he can.
Pros
Fun job every is nice
Cons
No pay raise and hard to move up
just like any other security company
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 17, 2017
Whelan does not separate themselves from any other contract security companies. Low pay and very poor benefits. Very little advancement and growth.
Overall Good Company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIFebruary 16, 2017
Not bad for a large security firm. Work is a bit boring sitting around watching a door but its easy money. Ideal job for an older person 60+. Management is rarely around. Nice place if you like to do your own thing and not be micromanaged. Company doesn't yell about OT.
Pros
Overtime, Relaxed work condition, Fair pay, Easy job
Cons
No armed work, Management needs more involvement. Uniforms could use an upgrade
This company runs from contract to contract.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2017
Because I lost my job I have kind of a jaded opinion of the company. But for the most part I had good work assignments and supervisors. I was able to work at AT&T, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Kansas City Life Insurance Co. and for the most part I enjoyed my job.
Pros
In most cases security can be a life long job.
Cons
For me after many years of employment I got laid off because the job ended for me .
Not the Worst Place to work but better than what I am hearing about others
Security Officer (part-time)--Wknds (Current Employee) –  Nashville TNFebruary 13, 2017
My experience is that contract security in general is a low pay, too many hours--but keep the overtime down-- job. Whelan in particular is not much different.

The culture of security in general is very similar to working for a staffing agency in that you may or may not get a good job out of it.
Whelan Security has a good reputation though and their name looks good on a resume if you want to keep a career in security because they do seem to have a bit higher standards.
Pros
Company with a good reputation, Depending on the site and if you can work 3rd shift--OT available, Not physical Labor
Cons
Low Rate Paying type of Job
Needed a company vehicle to feel safe doing my job.
Field Inspector Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2017
A great company to work for except I had no company car to complete my daily inspections. And I needed more hours.
I only worked 25 hours per week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7