Whidbey General Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Comfortable work environment
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAMay 19, 2016
My daily tasks consisted of interpreting and entering physician orders as well as auditing patient's records. I very much enjoyed the interaction I had with patients and staff. As communication is important in every environment, lack of said communication is my only complaint about being employed as a Health Unit Coordinator.
Pros
Slow paced shift
Cons
Lack of communication
Very toxic environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  PharmacyApril 12, 2016
Very toxic environment with administration and management dysfunction.
If you bring forward any discrepancies in care, documentation and or billing or question any of their new policies set forth with the latest regime,I.e to include alcohol to wine and dine potential doctors (on tax payers dollars) you will be targeted,labeled and eventually terminated on trumped up claims.
Tremendous amount of cover-up dreadfully unethical.
Pros
Good cafeteria
Cons
No cohesive team work. Work is driven by fear factor of being terminated
Great staff and physicians, poorly managed
Full time Radiologic Technologist and CT per diem (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WAJanuary 22, 2016
I've worked at this hospital for over 5 years. I've enjoyed it until recently due to new management and policies that have changed it. The hospital is poorly funded for whatever reason. Equipment is old, the interior is outdated, and getting things fixed or replaced is near impossible despite the fact the hospital charges more for services than comparable hospitals in the area. If you live on Whidbey Island, this is the only game in town and is an ok place to work. If you live elsewhere, I wouldn't advise relocating for a job here as there are plenty of other hospitals that are managed better and have the capital to replace equipment.
Only hospital on Whidbey Island.
ER RN- CEN (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WAMarch 26, 2016
Very small Critical Access Hospital with many very good experienced nurses and also new nurses. The Patients' First Motto is rewarding. It is wonderful to care for the community.
Great community
CT/MRI/XR Tech (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WANovember 19, 2015
Whidbey Island is very beautiful. The staff are wonderful to work with but Whidbey is going through many changes in management. This causes change upon change. If you adapt to change well you will love it.
Pros
Decent equipment and technology
Cons
under staffed
Always have something to work on.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAJanuary 8, 2016
The co-workers were great to be around. Always willing to help if there was a issue or problem. Learned a lot and will be able to take that knowledge and use it anywhere.
Enjoyable work with exciting things to come for this hospital
Surgery/OR Department-Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WASeptember 27, 2015
Overall a great and supportive environment. Small but growing hospital in both size and knowledge to cutting edge, larger arena informatics.
Pros
Supportive administration and coworkers
Cons
Sometimes highly stressful
Does a good job for patients
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAJuly 22, 2015
Can be a difficult place to work for staff with an administration that is anti union. The RN and CNA staff do a great job with a great manager. The upper level administration is too heavy handed and does not communicate well with staff.
Pros
Very good staff
Cons
Administration and incompetant HR
I am always motivated to go to work every day.
Director of Practice Management (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WADecember 11, 2014
Overall good place to work. There are a lot of talented people that work at the hospital. We are a hospital that is on the move. We are continuing to grow and gain more market share.
Pros
great retirement plan
Cons
as with any position in health care sometimes long hours are required
Great experience - except that it was a temp position.
Clerk IV - DI (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAFebruary 11, 2014
This was a per-diem shift, so I helped in several departments. I greeted, registered, and ordered diagnostic tests for patients. I would print the mammogram schedules, pull the films, and make reminder phone calls.

I enjoyed everything about this job. I love my line of work. I am good with patients and office support positions.

My co-workers were friendly, and helpful.
Pros
had good role models.
Cons
difficult computer program.

Want to know more about Whidbey General Hospital?

Ask a question
Friendly coworkers and growth driven management
Community Relations Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAFebruary 1, 2013
My time at WGH was wonderful (1998-2000). Executives were very in tune with keeping employees happy. I was blessed to have a very motivating supervisor, who I continue to look up to. Cafe had wonderful meals! Before I left, the CEO was resigning and they were headed towards a patients first vision.
Pros
cafe, short commute if you live on island, support continuing educatiob
Cons
in small town...different mentality if you are from the city
Take the good with the bad
Health Care Assistant Certification (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WAMay 23, 2013
Whidbey General has been a good place to work, it's been good to me over the years but it is time to move on. The culture is not what it used to be and is declining in support for employees. Administration does not have employees best interest at heart, they will stab you in the back in a second. My advice to you if you were looking for a job here is to keep looking, you will be unhappy after a while and there is no real chance for growth within.
Pros
good benefits however really look at the fine print
Cons
no successful management teams, disrespectful attitude toward one another, always breaking federal guidelines
Student Radiographer (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WADecember 5, 2012
While working at Whidbey General Hospital I have learned all of the things necessary to become a successful radiologic technician. My day usually consists of several outpatient exams in the morning along with flouroscopic examinations. The evening shifts consist of more emergency department exams. Throughout my time working here the co-workers have been professional and courteous in their work.
IS Technician
IS Technician (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAOctober 29, 2014
Functioned as an Operator, Desktop Support, and Help Desk Support, Performed data entry of charges, payments and adjustments. Processed Payroll, entered new employees into the system. Distributed daily reports and printed and distributed special forms.
Pros
great place to work.
Cons
the change to a different employer.
Staff is constantly chastised
Medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  CoupevilleOctober 14, 2012
Administration by intimidation. Current CEO is not in touch with community. Place is falling apart and is old. Think long and hard before applying here. They never pay OT consistently. Outsourced transcriptionists in most unprofessional way - where were their standards of behavior then? Lab staff leaving and fed up.
Pros
union wages - otherwise you'd be paid peanuts
Cons
top heavy in admin
100%
Self Pay COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAOctober 1, 2012
The Mediical Professional's are exactly that,top notch and the care they give to the patients is outstanding.
While employed at Whidbey General there was 3 different CEO'S, the 1st CEO was the original when the Hospital first opened he and the 2nd were devoted to all fascets of operating,expanded growth and creating a valuable and reputable institution on Whidbey Island. With the hiring of the 3rd however this has truly been the demise and distruction of Whidbey General. The Management team and the many Directors should be ashamed and disgusted with themselves for the manner in which they have HANDLED BUSINESS it is a travasty and will take more then words to formulate any kind of admission of failure on their part to correct all the wrong doings they have inflected on their employees.
inflected on their employees
Money isn't everything
support (Former Employee) –  CoupevilleJanuary 28, 2013
While the pay and benefits were very adequate, the management has gone downhill steadily, and currently is on a mission to remove or drive away full time and union staff. Dishonest and unsupportive. My advice would be to stay clear of WGH until there is a major overturn in middle and upper management.
Pros
not enough pros to warrant working there
Cons
terrible morale
Very friendly people to work with.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WANovember 29, 2012
I enjoyed working at WGH. All of the employees that worked there were very friendly and always willing to help each other. The hardest part of my job was when it got really busy at night because I worked alone.
Pros
small hospital. job included many different areas of respiratory.
Cons
driving to work in the snow, but i still enjoyed even that.
Want to be a slave to the system and work for a company that can care less about problems you may have?
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coupeville, WAJune 27, 2014
During orientation I accidentally fell asleep, I had been up for over 24 hours by then. Then there was a problem with me wearing sneakers when I told one of the hr girls I was gonna wear what I normally do for my previous job since I was going straight there to work my last day. Had she said no I would have gladly put them in my car until I was done. When I was reprimanded for being tired I was told shape up or ship out. No concern to any unforseen circumstances going on at the time. I shaped up, I conformed but they already had it set to get rid of me and I am not eligible to apply with them ever again. They make a big deal during orientation how they chose us as employees.
Pros
on call positions get bonus pay in lieu of paying over $200 for their medical.
Cons
absolutely no concern for anything going on in your life. if you are an employee, you are nothing more than a slave.
An organizaiton in the midst of a transformational culture change.
Learning and Performance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Coupeville, WAFebruary 24, 2013
The organization continues its journey; going from a good hospital to a great hospital. Action, alignment and accountability are the three tools in the tool box to execute such a profound change to its culture. It is a great place to work.

2.8