White House Black Market

White House Black Market Employee Reviews

Fun, fast-paced work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 17, 2017
On a typical day we arrive and get ready to open the store. We review prior year's business and set daily goals based on that. The store will be maintained so that we are prepared for all promotions, new signs will be displayed.
Sales associates will be informed of any changes in promotions, their daily goals, and any supportive coaching will be provided.
The management of the store is supportive of work/life balance.
The hardest part of the job is managing hourly paperwork while maintaining high volume sales.
It is an enjoyable place to work, the clients are wonderful, co-workers are supportive (as is management). It's fun to help women create their wardrobe.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees
Company
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2017
I have always loved WHBM prompting me to apply for a sales position. Pay is very low based on the back breaking work you are expected to perform. Management is not aware to FLMA laws. Unrealistic expectations in that they want you to were their clothing. But based on your salary you cannot afford to buy them. Some managers are lazy and have the go back assistance doing all the work. When it's time to leave. They are finding work for you to do as if the day wasn't long enough and the work hard. It's like slave labour all over again.
Pros
Meet new prople
Cons
Bad management low pay
Great Place to Work
DESIGNER (Wovens) (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 12, 2017
. . . and not just because they had a "Great Place to Work" initiative while I was there! The Corporate Office was full of intelligent, hardworking and talented individuals in every department - people I had/have a lot of respect for. Work/Life balance was the best I've ever experienced in the industry, and (at least from my perspective) there was a great system in place to help you grow towards higher positions - as long as your product was performing well. I've never worked with a better group of people as co-workers, and management was approachable and respectful (I have no idea what kind of pressures a President or VP are under, but they never passed that on to me when in an interaction - which is one of the marks of great leadership) . . .
Cutthroat Rivalry (in a pretty package)
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 30, 2016
Only two full-time managers - the store manager & the assistant store managers. All other positions (including other managerial positions) are part-time, which means you can be expected to do much more work with very little pay & no substantial benefits.
All positions are required to meet high and unrealistic hourly sales goals. Managerial positions are required to make sure that the sales associates meet their goals while management is encouraged to utilize a technique called "step-in selling" (taking the sale from the associate & receiving the credit).
The commission is actually a bonus chart & bonuses start at an extremely low dollar amount per each hefty sale you're expected to make.
No sense of job security. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone - it's not worth the stress.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, no additional benefits, little pay, tense environment, high sales quota
Overall Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2016
This store at the Southlake location is wonderful and it has a great culture. The work/life balance is awesome and upper management is very flexible. Advancement is a little tough if you aren't a good sales rep, nevertheless, they provide great training.
Great management and great Company
Sales Lead/Visual Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 27, 2016
A great place for a retail job. Fun atmosphere and a great place to build client relationships but lack diversity in staff as far as gender goes. Also, due to being a small boutique, some workdays may feel a little longer due to a lack of customer foot traffic. A good place to gain experience in competitive sales but compensation may not be enough to make a living off of. High performance is acknowledged which is great when it comes to retail.
Pros
Great team atmosphere, fast growth within company, organized.
Cons
Short breaks, lack of diversity, low pay.
Exciting and Fun Workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2016
The excitement at White House Black Market comes from the diverse environment along with feeling like you are shopping with a friend. A typical work day is greeting our guests and getting to know what it is they are shopping with us today. Once you have the attention of your guest get their sizes so you can not only pick what they are in store for today but to also give them additional add-ons which will then boost sales. Management works alongside with associates to get the job done. This company is the prime example of no I in TEAM. We work together and we work hard to make sure our guests are satisfied. The store music is upbeat and fun for both the customers and clients. Everyday was one big party at work.
Pros
Great environment, Great people, Great customers, Free lunches occassionally
Cons
Advancement is hard
Good benefits, poor work life balance, poor opportunity for advancement
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 28, 2016
The management micromanages all employees. Employees are not trusted to do their jobs or empowered to make their own decisions. Depending on your job title, work life balance can be very poor. Morale is very poor due to low job security and the lack of empowerment.
Pros
health clinic, gym, on campus cafes
Cons
poor work life balance, poor job security, low opportunity for advancement
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAFebruary 26, 2017
I had been with White House Black Market for 4 years and it was a great a start in my career in retail. I enjoyed every minute of it and loved working with the people there. It helped me build a clientele and learn management skills.
Pros
commission on sales
Cons
Great retail company with many opportunites for advancment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCNovember 2, 2016
This company is great to work for. If you're in management the training is on point and you're constantly learning new tools. however if you're in management you will be on call all the time. You will get maybe 1 weekend off a month. Must work nights, weekends, holidays basic retail.
Pros
Pay
Cons
work-life balance
Great organization
Assiatant Manager and Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 20, 2016
Great organization, excellent place to start a career in retail as the company highly values talent and drive. Leaders truly do balance work and personal life, they lead with understanding while still driving the business. I have always been treated with respect and integrity. Their values are something they truly operate by day to day and expect their leadership and associates at all levels to demonstrate. Vibrant spirit and helping women feel beautiful, it's a great organization to work within day to day.
Pros
Challenging, Rewarding, Fast Paced, Great benefits, Good discount
Too Pushy
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 27, 2016
I believe the new president is pushing too much for a clientele that is unrealistic to what we sell. I dislike the way commission was based on each individual sale rather than total volume. It makes it not worth it to assist a customer you know will only buy one or two things and I feel it's unfair to the customer that their assistance is based on their expected purchase price. It's also unfair that you are expected and required to buy a new wardrobe with each new collection seeing as the discount is not much.
Pros
Decent Breaks
Cons
Employee Discount, commission, benefits
Enjoyable and family like work place
Cashier/Sales-Part (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 25, 2017
A typical at work is greeting and assisting customer with merchandise, and answering all questions asked. I learn that working with all type of customer and dealing with each of them I become more knowledgeable of different personal preference. Management:Hard worker, fair,and expect the best out all employee.
The hardest part is when customer leave without finding anythings to purchase.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when our goals have been made
Pros
Everyone work together
Cons
Slow days
Over Exaggerated Earning Potential
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 3, 2016
This company is like many other retail settings where they sign you on board with the lure of great earning potential. However, their bonus program is structured in an unfair way.

Management is typically inconsistent and communication is inefficient between upper and lower levels. Also, for part time associates the hours available are very low. Often times I would see associates with three hours a week on a regular basis.

All in all, I would not label this as a company with which to build a career.
Pros
Great Product.
Cons
Few Hours, Low Earning potential, Inconsistent Management.
Great Manager, friendly and supportive
Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 10, 2017
I learned how to conduct sales without being 'pushy'.
The culture was friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was minimal breaks and being on your feet for hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the opportunity to talk to different people/customers as they came into the store, and to assist them in feeling good when they walked out.
Pros
positive environment, staff
Cons
short, or no breaks
Good company
Sales Representative / Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2017
The company and management are good, the only problem is that they don't offer weekly hours. If you are looking for a part time job just to increase paycheck is a great store with great employee discount. Amazing cloths.
Pros
good employee discount and good management
Cons
not enough work hour
Opportunity to grow
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 7, 2017
A lot of pressure with an unrealistic time frame. Company doesn't provide you with the right tools to succeed in oporations. District manager threatens and doesn't motivate. Absolutely no work life balance.
Pros
Opportunity to grow
Cons
Managment gets one weekend off a month, no work life balance, very demanding for the pay you recieve
A great retail place to work and shop
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Frontenac, MOJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed working retail at White House Black Market. I love helping ladies chose clothing based on their body type and preferences and helping them to feel their best. My co workers were a joy to work with and for me, the hardest part of my job was long hours on my feet.
Pros
discount on amazing clothing
Cons
long hours on my feet
Fun, and great learning experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 29, 2017
I learned a lot at this job, i was given the opportunity to help create women's wardrobes for them and give them all the options thy didn't know they had. Management encouraged me to learn about the business as much as they could and helped my meet my sales goals with useful advise.
Ability to dress in the latest fashions and a discount
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 28, 2017
Depending on the existing store manager the job could be rewarding with a good work life balance. Certain managers would or could not manage and didn't feel the need to support the store
Pros
Stability
Cons
Other staff was part time and not committed to success

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White House Black Market. Our community is ready to answer.

White House Black Market Reviews by Location