Whitman College Employee Reviews

Friendly, Positive Environment
Business Office Annex Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAApril 15, 2017
My time at the business office has been (without exaggeration or hyperbole) an entirely positive experience. The entire team was always looking out for each other, and rooting for one another's success.
Great students and colleagues, little job security
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ETHNOMUSICOLOGY (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 8, 2017
It is not a good time to be looking for a tenure-track position at Whitman College. The current administration is fiscally conservative, so the college is heading toward cutting programs and leaning more heavily on contingent labor.
Supportive workplace with a manageable schedule.
Server for Bon Appetit (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 2, 2017
I work serving students in the dining halls. I arrive before the meal opens to students to eat, then spend 10 minutes setting up the meal, and serve. After serving is over, I help clean the dining hall, and return dishes to their places. I have enjoyed the supportive and helpful environment, both helping others and being encouraged to ask for help.
Pros
Free lunches, easy to manage schedule during classes
Wine Country
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 28, 2016
Pleasant place in a pleasant place, which is a rarity these days in academia. Housing is relatively nice and it's not rainy Seattle
Work study student
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 23, 2015
For on-campus employment as a student, Whitman has a great variety of opportunities. Not all are created equal. As a lifeguard for Whitman College, I received adequate training and enjoyed my work. A lifeguard, CPR and first aid certifications were required.

In the chemistry department as a lab assistant, I learned new skills and had a great manager. This job requires some previous education.

I hated my job as a production associate for the yearbook and newpaper, The Pioneer. I was asked to work odd hours, often 10pm-3am, was not consistently paid for my work. I felt that I was often disrespected by the editor and other employees.
Pros
job experience
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage
A busy and complex work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAApril 3, 2014
A typical day at work is a traditional Monday-Friday 8-5 pm of administrative challenges. I provide customer relations, departmental budget tracking and account payable management, prepare and send business documents, scheduling & travel arrangements, VIP transportation as well as other duties as needed.
Enjoyable work space and friendly faces
Baker Ferguson Fitness Center Worker (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJuly 17, 2013
Working at the Baker Ferguson Fitness Center has been both an enjoyable and teaching experience. One of the most important things that I have learned while working here is that every employees' effort counts towards achieving and maintaining the overall goal that has been set out.
Pros
Interaction with customers
Fast paced part-time job that enhanced organizational skills
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAOctober 9, 2012
Working backstage taught me to maintain composure in an often chaotic environment. The job required constant focus and rigorous attention to detail. Although the atmosphere was generally loose and fun, it fell on my shoulders to monitor egos and make snap decisions when things inevitably went wrong.
I loved my advisor and research group!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 20, 2012
Working for a professor at Whitman has been a wonderful way to learn more about the scientific process and my advisor has been a fantastic resource for a variety of things from thesis writing to job applications.

Want to know more about Whitman College?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whitman College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2