Whitsons Culinary Group Employee Reviews in United States

fun
fws (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYMarch 31, 2016
I enjoyed fsw.preping food just fun for me seein all the kids smiles onn threre faces they was good group of people to wok for
If you need a job... it's a job.
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMarch 2, 2016
The job itself is pretty easy once you've finished training and use some common sense. The pay is below what you would expect if you're applying as a driver with a CDL, but it's a couple dollars more than the regular van drivers (which is very low considering you're out in the elements with poorly conditioned vehicles). The vehicles are re-treads and are taken to the mechanic on the bare minimum. Management barely know what the other is doing and communication between the main warehouse in NY and ours were horrible - missing pallets of product, extremely late trailer deliveries, and incorrect product sent on a semi-regular basis. The co-workers and even the manager were fun to be around and since you're in a union you've got pretty good job security. Overall I'd say if you need a job then this is a job, but if you're looking for a career or to make good money then I'd keep looking.
Pros
Free lunches, no weekends, a lot of holidays off
Cons
Below average pay, no advancement, bad communication, old vehicles
I have a lot of fun with the people I work with I would just like to move out of NY. I want a slower pace
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYOctober 8, 2015
Processing Invoices, Entering Payroll weekly, Schedule Employees, Hire New employees. Learned how to be able to speak to my team members with the help of all of my staff. The hardest part of the job, I really don't have a hardest part. The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work.
Pros
Extra Personal Time off
Cons
No lunch Break. Have to eat on the move
good
Refrigerator Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYSeptember 9, 2015
free lunches for all employees
learned how to operate a powered industrial truck or forklift
learned how to prepare foods
Steady paced and friendly workplace.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 28, 2015
6am prepare and cook breakfast and serve breakfast at 7am, then i would prepare multiple trays of food for lunch at 10am and serve lunch all the way till 1 then i would clean up my station. The manager never seemed to be present but everyone knew their job and responsibilities. The job was not hard, it was fun and the people there where friendly.
Pros
Free lunches, two breaks, and friendly coworkers.
Cons
no cons
growing company
Food Service District Manager (Current Employee) –  islandia nyJuly 9, 2015
Well balanced but difficult to climb.
Whitsons still makes you feel needed and welcome.
Learned many things at this company.
Ownership is very involved.
Extremely Stressful Position
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Management had extremely unrealistic expectations. Not enough time in the day to absorb all that was required to do.
Great place to learn
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYSeptember 9, 2014
I learned alot within the 3 1/2 years that I have been with the company.
Pros
health benefits
All things food
an assistant to the the Executive Chefs (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 4, 2014
-Prepare the line to serve the clients
-Clean up after every meal
-Prepare food for lunch, dinner, and next days breakfast
-Assist the chefs
-Manage inventory
-Submit weekly product orders
Very productive and Fast pace
Assistant Director of Food Service (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 7, 2014
Very good environment.
Everyday brings to challenges and oportunities.
Management team was strong.
Working at the hotel
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 9, 2014
On a normal day , You go in and get your list of rooms. And make sure you clean your required rooms for that day.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
cleaning bathrooms, and the low wages
As a Food Service Worker - You Do NOT Matter
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 31, 2014
I worked for Whitsons for 6 months as a Food Service Worker for a Public School. I was hired to work five days per week for a total of 30 hours - the reason I took the job. On my first day, they immediately changed my schedule to four days per week and only 20 hours because they also reduced the amount of hours per day from 6 to 5. I was out ill for 2 weeks for emergency surgery. I was in the hospital with doctor notes, etc. and when I returned back to work, I received disciplinary action for being out of work so much. After that I was micro-managed by the Food District Manager. Management is a joke, and they just want a body in place to work non-stop without taking any breaks. My two co-workers were great and both worked very hard. Although the lead person took tons and tons and tons of food home with her every day, along with stealing trash bags, plastic gloves, and anything else she could get her hands on. I was told I could take home anything I wanted to, but I don't believe in stealing from my employer.
Pros
free lunches and more food if i was willing to "steal"
Cons
no breaks, low pay, lousy benefits
bad company
cashier (Former Employee) –  roxburyDecember 15, 2013
Management is aweful. Constantly have to sign policys and procedures. When you need time off they never let you know if you get it. In 3 months if working there had 3 different supervisors. One worse then last. No one tells other what is going on. Main office takes forever to get back to you or do anythjng.
N/a
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2013
I have worked with them at there New York office and I am currently working at there Boston Depot.
I enjoy to satisified my costumers with great customer care
Assistant Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 21, 2013
I had to manage over 6 schools and 50 staffs. I've learned that as long as we work as a team we shall succeed with great progress. I've always loved to supervise and being promoted to manage over six schools gave me the biggest challenge to take on and I enjoyed.What was so challenging is when you have your fellow coworkers that wants or trys to take advantage of there positions or etc. and when I had to write them up or possibly let them go. The best part of my job was satisfying my customers, loving what I do and with great pride I succeed with every challenge that comes my way..
Pros
providing great food to my customers with great quality
benefits
Overall good and Fair Company to be assosciated with
DIRECTOR OF FOOD SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 13, 2013
Oversee Manufactured for Varying Distrutions. Learned a vast amount as whitsons is a growing compamy that distributes Nation wide. Good Upper Management and Support. Hardest part would have to be Mechanical Brewakdowns.
fun work envirnoment i learned a lot working at this job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 7, 2012
A typical day at work consist of the same thing everyday preparing food and working with kids. the hardest part was doing paperwork but i got the hang of it. i loved my co workers and the breaks are great

Comment – September 24, 2012

RIP OFFS THIS COMPANY PRIMISSES PAY THEN PAYS YOU CHEAPER RIP OFFS!!!!!!!!!!

Terrible company had to repay alot of $ for bilking accounts
Lead position (Former Employee) –  Canton, CTJune 13, 2012
Google Whitsons and see what you come up with. Management is terrible. They actually LIE when it is convenient for them. They hired a guy with anger management problems with court dates pending and he couldnt pass the background check but was hired simply because his Mommy is secretary to the superintendent.

The employee turnover is like a revolving door.I am so glad to be away from that group.
Pros
it was close to my home
Cons
you need to have no morals to work for them
My understanding
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 19, 2012
Advancement has not been obtained even through hardwork. Gained valuable driving experience as well as increased my customer service skills.
Pros
experience
Cons
pay increases are minimal
great hours, fun atmosphere
FSW (Current Employee) –  Winchester, MAMay 13, 2012
Good company. Great values. People are nice. Upper management works with .