Whitsons Culinary Group Employee Reviews

Productive work place
Server/ Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 3, 2017
worked here for a few months was a cool place to work best part was helping people out i did a lot of food prep here for elderly people and old drug addicts hours and pay was pretty good
If you are stern and focused, go for it.
Fullfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYFebruary 26, 2017
I never liked this job. Always hated it. The managers always have a bad attitude, communication is very difficult if you can't speak spanish because almost no one speaks english. You are expected to be superman, which means you will eventually be expected to do not only your own job, but others. Its all almost unbearable until that check comes in on friday. That fantastic check. Making 400+ dollars a week is a great feeling, and the only reason I would recommend this job to anyone. If you want overtime, its almost guarenteed to be there for you. There is money to be had in this stressful job.
Pros
Free lunches, and good pay per week.
Cons
Everything else.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTFebruary 9, 2017
Got hired after a new manager was hired Many employees quit, loved the job, uniform, atomsphere but after a while i quit as well the manager oh no she something else! Pay was okay they even had a union. Break was okay like 10-15 minutes. Would return just to a different location
Pros
Free lunch, extra hours
Cons
Managment
It was to cold wet because you r working with frozen food that has to stay cold
Auditor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Whitsons culinary group very cold wet and it feels like working in an icebox I would not work there again I got sick with the flu I had to go to the hospital it was horrible
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
terrible company to work for
cafeteria lead (Former Employee) –  Grafton, MADecember 5, 2016
Worked bat location at Grafton high school. Got pregnant. Was out due to complications for my pregnancy. Had doctors notes and everything. They fired me at 5 months pregnant ....terrible benifiets and pay. Don't waste your time with this company.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management...pay....benifiets...etc
Productive workplace
FOOD PREP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2016
Very productive workplace and a good overall place to work with. Heavy workload with little to no pay. i wouldn't recommend working in this company.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
short breaks
Terrible company! No concern for workers.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYAugust 26, 2016
Whitsons is a terrible place to work. The pay is extremely low and the workload is high. They do not provide you with the tools or resources to do your job. Management is dishonest. Several years ago, the company had to pay over $1M to the NYS Attorney General's Office for overcharging them for school lunches. If they're willing to steal from the government, they will be willing to steal from you.
Pros
None. Even free food was gross.
Cons
Lousy pay. Dirty environment. Poor management.
fun
fws (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYMarch 31, 2016
I enjoyed fsw.preping food just fun for me seein all the kids smiles onn threre faces they was good group of people to wok for
If you need a job... it's a job.
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMarch 2, 2016
The job itself is pretty easy once you've finished training and use some common sense. The pay is below what you would expect if you're applying as a driver with a CDL, but it's a couple dollars more than the regular van drivers (which is very low considering you're out in the elements with poorly conditioned vehicles). The vehicles are re-treads and are taken to the mechanic on the bare minimum. Management barely know what the other is doing and communication between the main warehouse in NY and ours were horrible - missing pallets of product, extremely late trailer deliveries, and incorrect product sent on a semi-regular basis. The co-workers and even the manager were fun to be around and since you're in a union you've got pretty good job security. Overall I'd say if you need a job then this is a job, but if you're looking for a career or to make good money then I'd keep looking.
Pros
Free lunches, no weekends, a lot of holidays off
Cons
Below average pay, no advancement, bad communication, old vehicles
I have a lot of fun with the people I work with I would just like to move out of NY. I want a slower pace
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYOctober 8, 2015
Processing Invoices, Entering Payroll weekly, Schedule Employees, Hire New employees. Learned how to be able to speak to my team members with the help of all of my staff. The hardest part of the job, I really don't have a hardest part. The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work.
Pros
Extra Personal Time off
Cons
No lunch Break. Have to eat on the move
good
Refrigerator Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYSeptember 9, 2015
free lunches for all employees
learned how to operate a powered industrial truck or forklift
learned how to prepare foods
Steady paced and friendly workplace.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 28, 2015
6am prepare and cook breakfast and serve breakfast at 7am, then i would prepare multiple trays of food for lunch at 10am and serve lunch all the way till 1 then i would clean up my station. The manager never seemed to be present but everyone knew their job and responsibilities. The job was not hard, it was fun and the people there where friendly.
Pros
Free lunches, two breaks, and friendly coworkers.
Cons
no cons
growing company
Food Service District Manager (Current Employee) –  islandia nyJuly 9, 2015
Well balanced but difficult to climb.
Whitsons still makes you feel needed and welcome.
Learned many things at this company.
Ownership is very involved.
Extremely Stressful Position
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Management had extremely unrealistic expectations. Not enough time in the day to absorb all that was required to do.
Great place to learn
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYSeptember 9, 2014
I learned alot within the 3 1/2 years that I have been with the company.
Pros
Health Benefits
All things food
an assistant to the the Executive Chefs (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 4, 2014
-Prepare the line to serve the clients
-Clean up after every meal
-Prepare food for lunch, dinner, and next days breakfast
-Assist the chefs
-Manage inventory
-Submit weekly product orders
Very productive and Fast pace
Assistant Director of Food Service (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 7, 2014
Very good environment.
Everyday brings to challenges and oportunities.
Management team was strong.
Working at the hotel
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 9, 2014
On a normal day , You go in and get your list of rooms. And make sure you clean your required rooms for that day.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
cleaning bathrooms, and the low wages
As a Food Service Worker - You Do NOT Matter
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 31, 2014
I worked for Whitsons for 6 months as a Food Service Worker for a Public School. I was hired to work five days per week for a total of 30 hours - the reason I took the job. On my first day, they immediately changed my schedule to four days per week and only 20 hours because they also reduced the amount of hours per day from 6 to 5. I was out ill for 2 weeks for emergency surgery. I was in the hospital with doctor notes, etc. and when I returned back to work, I received disciplinary action for being out of work so much. After that I was micro-managed by the Food District Manager. Management is a joke, and they just want a body in place to work non-stop without taking any breaks. My two co-workers were great and both worked very hard. Although the lead person took tons and tons and tons of food home with her every day, along with stealing trash bags, plastic gloves, and anything else she could get her hands on. I was told I could take home anything I wanted to, but I don't believe in stealing from my employer.
Pros
Free lunches and more food if I was willing to "steal"
Cons
No breaks, low pay, lousy benefits
bad company
cashier (Former Employee) –  roxburyDecember 15, 2013
Management is aweful. Constantly have to sign policys and procedures. When you need time off they never let you know if you get it. In 3 months if working there had 3 different supervisors. One worse then last. No one tells other what is going on. Main office takes forever to get back to you or do anythjng.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whitsons Culinary Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8