Whitsons Culinary Group Employee Reviews

terrible company to work for
cafeteria lead (Former Employee) –  Grafton, MADecember 5, 2016
Worked bat location at Grafton high school. Got pregnant. Was out due to complications for my pregnancy. Had doctors notes and everything. They fired me at 5 months pregnant ....terrible benifiets and pay. Don't waste your time with this company.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management...pay....benifiets...etc
Terrible company! No concern for workers.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYAugust 26, 2016
Whitsons is a terrible place to work. The pay is extremely low and the workload is high. They do not provide you with the tools or resources to do your job. Management is dishonest. Several years ago, the company had to pay over $1M to the NYS Attorney General's Office for overcharging them for school lunches. If they're willing to steal from the government, they will be willing to steal from you.
Pros
None. Even free food was gross.
Cons
Lousy pay. Dirty environment. Poor management.
If you need a job... it's a job.
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMarch 2, 2016
The job itself is pretty easy once you've finished training and use some common sense. The pay is below what you would expect if you're applying as a driver with a CDL, but it's a couple dollars more than the regular van drivers (which is very low considering you're out in the elements with poorly conditioned vehicles). The vehicles are re-treads and are taken to the mechanic on the bare minimum. Management barely know what the other is doing and communication between the main warehouse in NY and ours were horrible - missing pallets of product, extremely late trailer deliveries, and incorrect product sent on a semi-regular basis. The co-workers and even the manager were fun to be around and since you're in a union you've got pretty good job security. Overall I'd say if you need a job then this is a job, but if you're looking for a career or to make good money then I'd keep looking.
Pros
Free lunches, no weekends, a lot of holidays off
Cons
Below average pay, no advancement, bad communication, old vehicles
It was to cold wet because you r working with frozen food that has to stay cold
Auditor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Whitsons culinary group very cold wet and it feels like working in an icebox I would not work there again I got sick with the flu I had to go to the hospital it was horrible
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Productive workplace
FOOD PREP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2016
Very productive workplace and a good overall place to work with. Heavy workload with little to no pay. i wouldn't recommend working in this company.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
short breaks
fun
fws (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYMarch 31, 2016
I enjoyed fsw.preping food just fun for me seein all the kids smiles onn threre faces they was good group of people to wok for
I enjoy to satisified my costumers with great customer care
Assistant Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 21, 2013
I had to manage over 6 schools and 50 staffs. I've learned that as long as we work as a team we shall succeed with great progress. I've always loved to supervise and being promoted to manage over six schools gave me the biggest challenge to take on and I enjoyed.What was so challenging is when you have your fellow coworkers that wants or trys to take advantage of there positions or etc. and when I had to write them up or possibly let them go. The best part of my job was satisfying my customers, loving what I do and with great pride I succeed with every challenge that comes my way..
Pros
Providing great food to my customers with great quality
Benefits
Terrible company had to repay alot of $ for bilking accounts
Lead position (Former Employee) –  Canton, CTJune 13, 2012
Google Whitsons and see what you come up with. Management is terrible. They actually LIE when it is convenient for them. They hired a guy with anger management problems with court dates pending and he couldnt pass the background check but was hired simply because his Mommy is secretary to the superintendent.

The employee turnover is like a revolving door.I am so glad to be away from that group.
Pros
it was close to my home
Cons
you need to have no morals to work for them
I have a lot of fun with the people I work with I would just like to move out of NY. I want a slower pace
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYOctober 8, 2015
Processing Invoices, Entering Payroll weekly, Schedule Employees, Hire New employees. Learned how to be able to speak to my team members with the help of all of my staff. The hardest part of the job, I really don't have a hardest part. The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work.
Pros
Extra Personal Time off
Cons
No lunch Break. Have to eat on the move
Steady paced and friendly workplace.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 28, 2015
6am prepare and cook breakfast and serve breakfast at 7am, then i would prepare multiple trays of food for lunch at 10am and serve lunch all the way till 1 then i would clean up my station. The manager never seemed to be present but everyone knew their job and responsibilities. The job was not hard, it was fun and the people there where friendly.
Pros
Free lunches, two breaks, and friendly coworkers.
Cons
no cons
Not a place to make a career
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 22, 2013
The union sucks and management is no better, this company continuously hires people who really cannot speak English nor count past 10!
Pros
for drivers: minimal over the shoulder supervision
Cons
healthcare, pay increases, miscommunication between management and staff. there is no real quality control going on.
bad company
cashier (Former Employee) –  roxburyDecember 15, 2013
Management is aweful. Constantly have to sign policys and procedures. When you need time off they never let you know if you get it. In 3 months if working there had 3 different supervisors. One worse then last. No one tells other what is going on. Main office takes forever to get back to you or do anythjng.
Overall good and Fair Company to be assosciated with
DIRECTOR OF FOOD SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 13, 2013
Oversee Manufactured for Varying Distrutions. Learned a vast amount as whitsons is a growing compamy that distributes Nation wide. Good Upper Management and Support. Hardest part would have to be Mechanical Brewakdowns.
Very productive and Fast pace
Assistant Director of Food Service (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 7, 2014
Very good environment.
Everyday brings to challenges and oportunities.
Management team was strong.
My understanding
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 19, 2012
Advancement has not been obtained even through hardwork. Gained valuable driving experience as well as increased my customer service skills.
Pros
experience
Cons
pay increases are minimal
Extremely Stressful Position
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Management had extremely unrealistic expectations. Not enough time in the day to absorb all that was required to do.
Great place to learn
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYSeptember 9, 2014
I learned alot within the 3 1/2 years that I have been with the company.
Pros
Health Benefits
good
Refrigerator Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYSeptember 9, 2015
free lunches for all employees
learned how to operate a powered industrial truck or forklift
learned how to prepare foods
growing company
Food Service District Manager (Current Employee) –  islandia nyJuly 9, 2015
Well balanced but difficult to climb.
Whitsons still makes you feel needed and welcome.
Learned many things at this company.
Ownership is very involved.
great hours, fun atmosphere
FSW (Current Employee) –  Winchester, MAMay 13, 2012
Good company. Great values. People are nice. Upper management works with .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whitsons Culinary Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6