Whittier College Employee Reviews

Student Account Counselor (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 4, 2016
College setting working with students and families to assist with their cost related to educational needs. Heavy contact over phones and counter.

Best Part of job working with families and students to answer concerns and questions they have

Worst Part was having to send accounts to collection agencies
Whittier College
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 16, 2016
I worked as both a language tutor and a Resident Advisor at Whittier College. I found both positions to be very rewarding.
Pros
Work-study pay, compensation for room & board.
Great Place to work and go to School
Assistant - Office of International Programs (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 15, 2016
Whittier College is a great place located in Southern California with great diversity and cultural awarness on campus. All the jobs on campus are great.
professional atmosphere where education was valued
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 15, 2016
Environment rich in opportunities to collaborate and grow professionally.

Typical teaching load was 3-4 courses per semester with some supervision of student teachers.

The students were motivated and interested in becoming teachers, which made the job enjoyable.
Pros
atmosphere that valued education
See previous review
Academic Coach (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CANovember 28, 2015
Overall positive experience working as an Academic Coach. It is a privilege working one-on-one with students while being a student myself. Maintaining confidentiality is an absolute must.
Pros
Gaining Interpersonal skills
Cons
Minimum wage work
A good place to start your career
Systems Librarian (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAOctober 10, 2015
Whittier is a great place to get some early-mid level experience in your career path, but there are few opportunities for advancement or professional growth. The people are friendly and the work environment is rather relaxed but most departments lack strong management and professionalism.
Pros
Free lunches, decent benefits
Cons
professional advancement, compensation
Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 20, 2015
This was my first job. It was difficult at first but the directors were more than happy to assist with workload and took the time to train me personally.
Terrific university with much diversity and leadership opportunities.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 25, 2015
Worked to plan programs to give peers a great experience. area Coordinators were available for guidance.
Many independent working opportunities as well as opportunities working with others.
Friendly and productive environment
Assistant Softball Coach (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CaJune 19, 2015
Typical Day would consist of checking emails from prospective athletes, helping with compliance, organizing practice plans, providing skills to the players to help improve their abilities to play at a high level, interacting with other coaches from different sport, and attending monthly staff meetings. Also, working with young women as well as young girls during softball camps and helping them grow into well mannered and educated women. The hardest part of the job is being so young and earning respect from the players who were only three years younger than I am. From the beginning, I was able to make sure they knew I was not their friend but their coach who can provide guidance or advice to them about their life after college and softball. The most enjoyable part of the job is impacting these young women in a positive way and helping them grow into respectful women. Although I am a softball coach, I am also a substitute teacher for the local high school district and a student working on her master's degree which should be completed by May of 2016.
The environment is great.
Technical Manager/Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 13, 2015
The environment is great. I love my student workers and most of the staff. It is a very friendly environment that is fun to work at. Upper management isn't tip top. They underpay the staff that gets most of the work done and miss spend money left and right. The upper management is over paid while many key players are vastly underpaid, leading to a high turn around. Catering meetings is more important then hiring a well trained staff to support the existing infrastructure.
Pros
Fun environment. Independence.
Cons
Poor leadership, High turn around, Terrible compensation.
Excellent staff, excellent environment to prosper
Student Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAOctober 1, 2014
Although it was a fast paced environment, it was definitely a much need experience. The management was excellent, there were no complications because everyone was on task, there were no mix-ups about duties, schedule, or pay. The most difficult portion of this job was the high demand for service.
Stressful during rush hour
Gym Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 12, 2014
Only worked here for a little while. Great job to learn how to handle money
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CANovember 27, 2013
I had this job because i had a work study doing the time i was attending Whittier College. I only worked few hours a day during that time i would enter invoices and file them away. I also would do clerical responsibilities.
Pros
Easy
Cons
It wasnt a full time
Competent,efficient, and has a magnethic personality
Campus Safety Senior Sergeant /Instructor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 17, 2013
I feel extremely comfortable writing this ragarding my management skills. I usually set high standards for myself and exceptional leadership. My peer would say great things about me. The hardest part about any job is not staying focus what your job is (Drama). I am a team player and a leader.
Pros
Always willing to stay for OT
Always on cutting edge of technology.
Secretary of Residential Life (Former Employee) –  13406 E. Philadelphia St. Whittier, CA 90601August 22, 2013
The day started with morning correspondence, delegate assignments for work study students. Best part of any day was accomplishing a project a head of the time allotted. Sharing new information with co-workers and visa versa was always the highlight of my day. Hardest part of the job was limited access to campus facilities because of limited scheduling.
Pros
Small campus.
Cons
Never a down time.
work study
Student Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 29, 2013
Not bad working as a student. Work isn't very hard and you can get your homework done. Campus Safety is the BEST
Fun and hard working
Newspaper Section Editor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 16, 2013
- Edited articles and designed the Campus Life section of the school newspaper
- Used graphic design software to create the layout of the pages and edit photos and articles
Pros
doing what i love, writing, graphic design and editing
Cons
late hours
Excellent, positive, and creative work environment
Instructor/Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 7, 2013
Students and staff both positive and inspirational. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my students and getting them excited about learning the material.
Challenging and rewarding
Development (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 3, 2012
A demanding environment, but great co-workers and a place where you can be successful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whittier College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2