Whittier Hospital Medical Center Employee Reviews

Overall Review
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Whittier Hospital Medical CenterOctober 9, 2015
The nursing staff is given extenuating responsibilities that go beyond unsafe. Clinical Managers are incompetent and the culture of safety is compromised by administrative "constraints" on staffing policies. Despite having a ratio, we have been asked to "look" at incoming transfers or admissions at the end of shift so that clinical manager can claim that admission for their shift. The majority of the older doctors are not very nice. Administration does not back up nursing, regardless of the situation. Patient satisfaction is stressed over patient safety. Health insurance has no charge, but the owner of the hospital created a network of doctors that work with only his company. No option for PPO. CNO, CEO, and Department heads have quick turnover, resulting in the lack of leadership.
Pros
401k match up to 3%, self-schedule
Cons
POOR management at all levels.
Great place to recieve training.
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 27, 2015
Very tight knit family. I learned a lot from being here for five months. They have several different specialties and the other surgical techs there are very helpful and very knowledgeable. They go out of their way to make sure you learn everything the way you are supposed to know it.

The hardest part of the job, I would say, would have to be learning to anticipate the surgeon's needs during the case. It definitely takes some time to master.

The most enjoyable part of the job is everything. I love this career.
FAST PACE AND HECTIC SLIGHTLY UNPROFESIONAL
ER Admitting Counselor (Former Employee) –  WHITTIER CAMay 14, 2015
DEAL WITH RUDE PATIENTS AT THE WINDOW REGISTER PATIENTS TO BE SEEN BY DOCTOR RUN AND VERIFY INSURANCES UPDATE DEMO INFO ANSWER PHONES
Pros
GOOD PAY
Cons
LEAD WAS WEAK AND DID NOT KNOW HOW TO MANAGE AND DISCIPLINE EMPLOYEES
Mixed feelings about WHMC
RN (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAApril 30, 2015
Almost all the staff is very nice but the nursing directors don't seem to fix the equipment that is needed to do your job. Translation phones often times don't work, vital signs machines sometimes don't work or they sometimes can't be found when you need them which can be very dangerous. Nurse to patio ratios are kept within legal limit but there's not enough help to perform all the tasks. The mgmt needs to supply an LVN everyday, not just sometimes, to assist the RNs. Otherwise mgmnt shouldn't complain about overtime from nurses because they're all doing the best they can.
Pros
good compensation, mostly nice people
Cons
often no time for paid breaks, mgmnt not replacing malfunctioning equipment
Great company
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 16, 2015
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits for their full time employees. Caring staff and friendly administration.
Professional workplace and coworkers dedicated to serving the public as needed
Volunteer Leader (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 2, 2014
Dedicated staff, excellent service, and rewarding services
professional attitudes and great learning enviroment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 23, 2014
Great professional attitudes; interesting work with alot of opportunities to learn new things
Pros
great teaching enviroment with fun staff and interestind work
Cons
early workhours
Great Hospital
ER Tech (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 17, 2014
WHMC is a great place to work, great nurses, all very hard working. I was there for about a year and a half, had a great time. The staff is awesome. The CEO is a great person, and cares about his staff.
Pros
great staff
Cons
short breaks, very busy er
Great Co-Workers
Emergency Admission Specialist (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 12, 2014
I've made three very good friends who were very professional people when it came to their services. Their human resources and federal law compliance could use some work though.
RT department was very helpful
respiratory therapist (Former Employee) –  whittier, caMarch 4, 2014
this was my first clinical rotation. one of my best clinical sites. I got a lot of hands on experience. all the RT I worked with where very helpful.
Its a very homey work environment. Employees are friendly.
Coder-Outpatient (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAFebruary 7, 2014
I have joined Whittier Hospital for almost a year as a contract coder and I would say that I am so lucky to be assigned in an acute care environment with regular full time employees that were so hospitable and warm and they treat you like one of them.
nice place to work but the pay for cna's sucks
cna (Former Employee) –  whittier, caApril 10, 2013
This place is great to work. They very clean, strict about hospital attire, free healthcare benefits. However, they pay for even the most experience cna's is similar to a can starting off as a new grad. I didn't mind work the every other weekend and the patient to staff ratio was decent but they are very strict about attendance. They have no problem firing you if your late or absent more than 5 times per year.
Pros
benefits, clean enivronment, patient to staff ratio, ceu's
Cons
pay rate, no union for cnas or lvns, strict attendance
Good place to work with good people
Radiologic Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 14, 2013
Worked there many years. Good place to learn from and get experience.
Pros
good people
typical facility to above average
Full time ICU two 8 bed units (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 5, 2013
A typical night shift is 12 hours. No encouragement for further education (away from work). Two patients assignments. Close, friendly staff. Management not involved, rely on charge nurses.
Pros
close to home
Cons
frequent cancellations due to low census.
Not Bad But Not Great
RN - Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CADecember 17, 2012
What can I say about WHMC? It's not the greatest place that I've ever worked at, but it's somewhat descent. I think that the managers that work here are nice but have unrealistic expectations of what they want their staff to do simply because they lack the proper funds that they need to help the staff move forward to the technological era...For a BIG example: paper work, paper work, paper work, despite having an e-charting system in place, I find that there is STILL a lot of paper work! The electrical charting system (CPSI) that they have put in place is a JOKE! Sure it's computerized but it's a computerized version of the paper which the staff still needs to fill in (fill in the black) EACH and EVERY time a client walks in the door whether it's their first time there of their 25th visit to the hospital. There is ABSOLUTELY no continuity of care with the e-charting that they have chosen to use! Not user friendly...they push the staff to clock in and especially OUT on time...but this is a goal that is NOT realistic whatsoever. Too much redundancy with the work flow...inefficient...not cost effective!!
Pros
good/descent starting pay for new grad rn
Cons
short breaks/lunch, obsolete computerized charting system
Ok place to work. Not enough communication between managers and employees
Radiology Clerk (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 4, 2012
The hospital is going thru some changes. The work load is minimal.
Great place for interning.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 31, 2012
I loved intrerning at Whittier Hospital they thought me so much. I was able to work almost every department in the Hospital. Everyone is very nice and helpful.
Pros
great experience
Fast paced setting with friendly staff.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 24, 2012
I did my internship here for a month, the staff took me in right away i felt comfortable and enjoyed every moment. The staff show you everything you need to know in that short period of time it was fun i enjoyed it.