Whittier Union High School District Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Snack Shack
Volunteer/Community Involvement (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CADecember 19, 2015
A typical day at work would be starting off by signing then usually going straight to the window in which I sold the food. The entire shift would consist of grabbing the food that the customer ordered then selling it, unless the supervisor told me to wash the counters, dishes, or restock shelves. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude customers but I learned how to deal with them as well as a wide array of people. The most enjoyable was talking with fellow co-workers.
Pros
free food
Cons
rude customers
Didn't have a prement teacher.
Insturctional Asst. S.H. IV (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 9, 2015
I had two different teachers while I worked there but they mostly called out or worked in other classrooms. This helped me develop my teaching skills and leadership skills since the teach was out for most of the day.
Pros
Good health benifits.
Cons
Teacher would be out most of the time.
An eye-opening experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAFebruary 11, 2015
So being a very quite student in high school, it definitely took me out of my safety bubble when I decided to work as a high school substitute teacher. Though depending on how mature my class was, it was surprisingly natural as to how easy it was to conduct a class. The scariest part of the job was coming into a class first thin the in the morning and finding a note left by the absent teacher that I had the right to call school security if this or that student causes any trouble...
Pros
payed well, was very fun when teaching a class on a subject i personally enjoy
Cons
on-call, very seniority dominated job
Enjoyable Work Experience
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  California High SchoolMay 6, 2015
Great working with staff and students. My co-workers were friendly and also enjoyed working with WUHSD. The hours are perfect for work-life balance.
Fun workplace to begin as first time worker
Food Service (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 12, 2014
On a typical day I would serve food to the students during breakfast and lunch. I would also help clean all the dishes that were dirty after serving the food. I learned how to deal with people on registers and what food they would like specifically. It was easy to manage since it was before and during school breaks. My co-workers were very helpful and cooperative. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the cafeteria appliances. The most enjoyable part of working was being able to work with fellow students and also being able to help students by giving them food.
Pros
free food
Cons
short breaks and short hours
Enjoy when working on assignments
Clerk II On-Call (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAOctober 8, 2013
While working at the district I've experienced a lot of every department; Guidance, Curriculum, Attendance, Facilities, Expanded Horizons, Adult Education and Independant Studies for High School students.

The best part of my job is that I work with Administrators, Counselors, Teachers, Public and Students.

The hardest part of my job is leaving an assignment. Most of my assignments have been long term so I tend to bond with employees and I'm sad to leave. The most enjoyable is when I receive cards of thank you notes from the staff, flowers, waffle breakfast and appreciation of my best and hard work.
Pros
fun to work with the staff, public, students and teachers.
Cons
not permanent and no benefits
High School job, easy money
Student Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAOctober 8, 2012
On a typical day, I would meet my lunch cart for breaks and lunch 10 minutes before they would start. I would help set up the carts with the food, and wheel them out to the right locations on campus, and sell the food to students during the breaks and lunch. Afterwards, I would help wheel them back, count the till, return it to management, and get my snacks and go to class.
Pros
free food, work only during school hours
Cons
very few hours
Great working enviorment
Assistant Auditorium Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 23, 2012
Working as a assistant technical director you have lots of fun building sets and setting up the auditorium for a wide variety of educational events as well as outside events including plays, musicals, graduation and many more.
Very rewarding working with children
Campus Security Officer/Insturctional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 28, 2012
Most of the time, very rewarding, naturally some of the fellow employees fell short and slacked off.
Schools Ins. Aide
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 18, 2015
Worked with special ED, walked to different classes to assist students in their class, worked as a one and one but with 3 students at a time, assisted teachers in their classrooms, helped students with class work and projects, graded papers, was a in room aid for a science class, created projects for students, helped the teacher with IEP's, attended parent meetings, filing, input grades in grade books, took attendance, wrote up referrals when needed, went on field trips, made copies when needed, helped out with football games, talked to parents when needed, set up classroom at the beginning of the year and during holidays, helped teach class while the teacher was in meetings or there were subs.

I learned that I love this job with all my heart.

Management was awesome! My boss's made my jobs easy.

Co-workers were amazing.

When students wouldn't listen to the teacher, fights breaking out, being on lock down in the schools, when parents didn't want to hear negative about their child behavior in class, sending students to in house detention, when the teacher would put down students in front of other students, being put in the middle of student and teacher arguments, having pepper spray being sprayed in the air at a assembly and causing injuries to students and staff including myself while I was pregnant. Leaving my position to move out of state was the hardest.

Knowing I helped change some students for the good. Having them look up to me as a role model, students/parents come to me to say they appreciate all what I have done for them, having a former student write
  more... a college report about me.  less
Pros
Knowing I helped special ed students gain confedence in themselves.
Cons
Student on student fights, having troubled students, teachers bullying students in front of other students.

4.5