Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Found 2,713 reviews matching the search
You get what you put in
Facility Systems Integrator (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTApril 1, 2016
Effort is rewarded and so is patience. Show up on time, do your job in an efficient and timely manner and you'll do well here. There are many opportunities for advancement, and the company offers competitive wages and benefits.

I started out working 2nd shift selecting food items in various conditions (cold, wet, etc.) and put in the effort over several years to become proficient at numerous positions within the building. I ended up fulfilling my dream of working IT, learning many of the skills I still use today.

The work is not easy, but it is rewarding if you put in an effort.
Pros
Competitive wages, good benefits, profit sharing (gainsharing), good work culture
Cons
Sometimes falls short of the mission by social promotions and the like, and the work is very hard.
A company that takes pride in their core values
Grocery Associate Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTApril 6, 2016
Whole Foods Market is a company that prides it's self on their contributions to society. They contribute to their own foundations such as, Whole Planet, and Whole Kids, as well as more known like the Whole Trade Foundation.
When it comes to employment, Whole Foods is part of fortunes top 100 company's to work for, and has been for many years. Employees are treated with kindness, and respect on an unprecedented level. Upper leadership (management), is beyond supportive, in efforts to ensure satisfaction among the team.
Daily anguish is unfortunately unavoidable, due to the nature of the business. You will occasionally have an uncomfortable confrontation with a customer, or team member, but will not impede on your overall satisfaction with the job.
Pros
As a leader, we have catered lunches for out meetings, Team members can sample product to familiarize themselves with the product, Very relaxed workdays, little stress presented from upper leadership.
Cons
Benefits are comparable, retirement plan could be better.
Productive Workplace with Fun and Friendly Employees
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work starts with just coming in and getting ready and are greeted by your co-workers in a friendly manner, at Whole Foods the employees become best friends and everyone in their department become like a family. The hardest part of the job his having to stand for one hours and having to deal with difficult customers who complain for small things. The most enjoyable part of the job is coming into work and seeing your second family who all greet you with a smile on their face, happy to see you. Management although do their job they are approachable and are friendly to talk to.
Pros
Benefits, Employee Discounts, Samples
Cons
Pain because of standing for long periods of time, dealing with customers that ask redicuous questions and are being difficult
Fun, supportive work environment with numerous career opportunities.
PAYROLL & BENEFITS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 5, 2016
Overall a fun and supportive working environment where every team member is valued. There's plenty of opportunities to develop your career in a number of disciplines. The environment is fast paced and very customer service focused. But I've never worked in an environment surrounded by as many friendly and supportive people as in Whole Foods Market.

They value innovation and strive for work/life balance within the constraints of a retail/grocer environment. They stick by their core values in all things they do and have been very active in the communities in which they serve.
Pros
Plenty of career opportunities
Cons
Got to work holidays
This is a pause button on life.
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2016
clock in, do the same job you did yesterday, clock out. Remember high school? Kinda like that.

some cooking skills, meat cutting, not a huge amount of personal development here.

management is split between people who are cool and kind of do their jobs, people who sometimes do their jobs and exist is a limited sense, people who have checked out on life and do the bare minimum. You'll learn to despise the out of touch regional people

Co-workers are great people who I frequently hang out with outside of work. They are by far the best aspect of this job.

The hardest part is dealing with the soul crushing boredom. If you dont want to be a manager, you can do the same job until you get fired on a technicality because you make too much money.

The most enjoyable is having 200 friends and an endless supply of women to go after.
Pros
insurance is great if you rarely use it.
Cons
Can you survive paycheck to paycheck for the rest of your life?
Used to be a great workplace... not so sure anymore, sadly.
WHOLE BODY BUYER (Former Employee) –  WAApril 3, 2016
It was wonderful at first, but after they started cutting jobs and laying people off, I was required to do the work that 3 full time and one part time person did a year before, but now I had to do it by myself. They have no plans to replace the other staff as long as I continue to "get by ok" doing to work. No increase in pay was offered, just a hearty slap on the back and a "just be glad you still have a job". I never felt like I was able to complete anything to the degree that I was able to before, due to the new overloaded work load.
My management team spent most of their time off the sales floor chatting in an office. They liked to micro manage and I felt they wasted so much time having "huddles" (meetings) trying to get caught up on what the team on the sales floor were doing while they were off the floor.... a lot of times I just couldn't wait for them to shut up so I could go back to work.
Pros
decent benefits, good perks at my location... free food once a pay week, BBQs, snacks in break room, they don't bother you once you're off work which I loved
Cons
management can be tyrants, cutting staff, expect more work but no more pay
retailer with a healthy lifestyle
Store Scan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 23, 2016
work hard to get everything ready for customers before the opening, you learn about healthy alternatives and lifestyle, the management try to help you to advance and has an open door policy, co-workers are fun, you have to enjoy working with customers.
Pros
healthy culture, oportunities to grow.
Cons
some position are not well balance between personal life and work
I have second thoughts on Whole Foods
Grocery Stocker Team Member (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 25, 2016
I have been a Vegetarian for over 7+ years and love the lifestyle. I thought it would be great to find a job at a store that has the same values as I do. When I started working for whole foods it was wonderful. Great pay benefits and best of all quality and availability of foods. I would be able to provide products to customers which relied on these. Changes happened where whole foods would not tell us why we did not carry these products or if we will get products like it. A shift also happened in the way they treat employees as well as giving raises. A lot of great people left the store because of loss of jobs do to labor cut and wanting to keep more money to themselves.The teams you work on are small so you have a high physical expetensy. The sad thing is they give terrible benefits and do not have a union so employees do not have a say in what we can elect and not. If you get injured be prepared for a work nightmare and having to deal with the humiliations of it. You can not work until you have been cleared by a doctor and you have to go through every level of management of the store about it. What happened to light duty work? IT is a whole different experience when you work for the company
Pros
good food
Cons
medical dental hoursmanagement
If you are okay with a crazy schedule and never having time to have a life whole foods is for you.
Clerk, buyer, stocker (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MADecember 28, 2015
When I first started at whole foods I loved it! The company, the culture, all of the training and development of team members. It seems great and wonderful, but unless you throw your personal life away so you can succeed, and move painfully slow up the corporate ladder , you will never do anything here. Management says that they encourage you to grow and move up thru the company but if you have one comment or thought that isn't on the same page as management (such as I can't believe that new policy etc) you might as well quit. I worked there for 7 years and all I tried to do was get ahead and all I got was shot down, told no, and kicked to the curb so many times about speaking up that leaving the company was on par with getting out of an abusive relationship. I was so glad it was over. So trust me and don't even bother unless you are ready to become the whipping post in this relationship
Pros
Team member discount and benefits
Cons
The whole company is going down hill, no consistency in scheduling
fun place to work, especially fro college students
Associate Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaMarch 5, 2016
whole foods market is a typical grocery store with its own very unique culture, I learned much of the grocery business, including but not limited to: grocery, produce, bakery, beer & wine, customer service, etc. The management is great but prone to inexperienced managers due to hiring from within. Co-workers or "team members" are great and many long lasting relationships have been made for me and many others. The hardest part of the job is the scheduling. The most enjoyable part was the people interactions both team member and customers
Pros
discount
Cons
tough scheduling
High paced mostly friendly work environment. Compensation and benefits are better than most competitors.
GRAPHIC ARTIST (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioMarch 21, 2016
Whole Foods is a great place to work. It is not always easy, the retail world, especially a grocery store is demanding. Weekends and holidays are usually part of the game. The compensation and benefits are above their competition. It is easy to become part of the team. WFM strongly encourages growth and career opportunity. Almost everyone is a foodie and you will receive and education in multiple facets.
Pros
Food, People, Learning
Cons
Scheduling, Salary
No ping-pong table at all, really.
BAKER AND BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCFebruary 10, 2016
"Insecurely" run location of Whole Foods Market, for lack of a better way to describe it. The influences of the overall Whole Foods corporate culture are employee friendly, but this location milks its employees all it can. Limited advancement opportunities following company-wide restructuring.
Pros
Healthcare, "green' policies, discount
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement, hostile lower management
organic food store
Full-time Grocery team member (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 15, 2016
The typical day at wholefoods consistent of healthy customers. From working at wholefoods i have learned the difference between a corporation and non-profit organization. The management at wholefoods was historical and unprofessional at times. My team of co-workers at whole foods where very different did not really want to see you move up. To be honest there really was not a hard part of the job for me being at wholefoods customers and certain co-workers and managers liked working with me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers with there exhilarating personalities.
Pros
free lunches on big days
Cons
no benefits till a year
Just Difficult Enough, Mildy Enjoyable, Good Pay for Entry Level
Produce Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  Jenkintown, PAFebruary 17, 2016
The work load at Whole Foods is best summarized by the common saying, "little things add up." We are given many tasks to complete that on their own are not difficult. The difficulty comes when we must learn to prioritize these tasks based upon time efficiency and necessity. These tasks include, but are not limited to, cleaning food surfaces, loading/unloading pallets, stocking the sales floor, updating logs, assisting customers, and disposing of waste in the appropriate manner. Customers can be rather dependent on workers for assistance, but that is essentially the niche of clientele we attract based upon our store culture. The team members are very easy to get along with and management is fairly considerate of your needs as a worker. The most enjoyable part of produce that applies to all locations is the encouraged sampling of our products for knowledge purposes.
Pros
Convenient Tasty Food
Cons
Customers Can Be Rude
Not what it used to be
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 8, 2015
The company's stock has plummeted, so the higher-ups are taking steps to save the company money by cutting jobs, salaries, and benefits. They recently cut a bunch of mid-management jobs and offered those people another job at a much-lower pay, but for some reason those same arbiters of "reasonable spending" don't seem eager to slash their own wages.

No chance of advancement while company is trying to rebound from a string a fines it incurred for essentially overcharging the customer, but that's actually okay since, in order to rise in the company, you have to become a mindless Whole Foods robot and spend your days spouting the company's ideological and usually insincere values.

Company would rather ignore the leaky roof in order to justify a regional person's inflated salary. I lasted eight years. Now I boycott the place.
Pros
Used to get free shoes, opportunties for trips, and health assessments, but no more. PTO is generous, though.
Cons
Continues to get worse with each passing day
it was a productive environment.. I was on my feet the whole time which was fast pace and i enjoyed it
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day was very fast paced and very productive. I learned great customer service skills and management was not to bad. The employers were not bad but they also were not good.. most of them had negative attitudes which made the environment a little hostel. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the employees. The most enjoyable part was meeting the new customers and being able to work in a fast paced environment.
Pros
benefits 401k plan discount on food shopping
Cons
no free lunch, waiting to be rung up for our lunch, could barley use the bathroom
Assistant Store Manager
ASSISTANT STORE LEADER (Former Employee) –  mid westJanuary 20, 2016
This was a great position to learn the ins and outs of retail management from financials to merchandizing. Team member issues were rife and the process by which you disciplined was drawn out and fraught with danger (they involve lawyers out of Texas). Store Leader was absent much of the time and being away from mid-Atlantic regional offices meant he could get away with it. He got away with a lot. As each store has much freedom, the quality of the individuals running it can determine how things are. We were a highly profitable store but as the 2nd in command I had to witness some abhorrent stuff go on including inappropriate dealings with female team members. When reports were made about thefts it just depended on who the person stealing was, and whether any thing was done. The company as a whole was great although you better be prepared to play the politics game, however that is most companies. I have to say I loved my time at the company except for the last few years. A lot depends on your immediate manager. I worked under 5-6 different leadership teams and only one was truly horrible. The rest I was able to learn valuable retail, customer serivce, and people skills
Pros
pay, bonuses, 20% discount, health benefits were great at the time
Cons
work/life balance, dealing with lawyers, store leader who was a maniac
Orderly Fashion & Ordanized
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CAJanuary 28, 2016
Wholefoods Market is a highly estimed place for healthy eaters, and I enjoyed being given the opportunity to work there and go out of the way to help a customer and suite there need. Compensation & Benefits were amazing, the stars would not let me gage them. Job Security was difficult, they expected you to only clock in at the exact time you were scheduled if you clock in to early or late you get points added up and this could lead to loss of employment. This was not realistic, because if you stayed over hours to finish work, they docked you for this as well.
Pros
Awesome Experience & Knowldge of food
Cons
Consistancy
Toxic Environment
STAFF MENTOR & TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 13, 2015
I do not know where to begin with the issues at Whole Foods. It is a great company that is founded on great values; however, it is nothing if there is no management to back it up. The standards / expectations / rules only apply to those leadership wants them to; if they agree they do not like someone, leadership will go to great lengths to push that individual out; the weight of each department is often placed on the 2-3 good employees that department has; males receive higher raises than females regardless of work ethic; etc. I dot not mind what I do and my team leader is awesome; however, the behavior I witness almost on a daily basis of our leadership is absolutely disgusting. The hardest part of the job is when we are given unrealistic expectations when dealing with a lack of team members.
Pros
20% discount, Team Member Tuesday, PTO
Cons
Poor insurance, unrealistic expectations, poor treatment from management
It's a good place
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMarch 22, 2016
The vibe is pretty nice and all the people I work with are really nice. What Whole Foods stands for is something I appreciate and respect. I wished they gave out benefits for their part-time employees but the management there is nice and I really enjoy working there.
Pros
They do give free lunches sometimes, very flexible scheduel, free things from time to time
Cons
No real benefits for part time, hours get cut, work shoes aren't very comy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whole Foods Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Whole Foods Market Reviews by Location