Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Found 2,838 reviews matching the search
All Team member's generally have a great personality.
Produce Team Member (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 1, 2016
Wholefoods is a good company to work for. The team leaders try
to do their best to work for you and I had a great relationship with all of the management team. My co-team member's were great we worked well together to get the most important jobs done first and had fun doing it even flipping a coin to do the worst to be fair.
Hardest part of the job I had was a roller coaster schedual.
Most enjoyable part THE CUSTOMER'S
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
The up and down schedual (But that's part of produce)
decent work place
Produce Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTNovember 6, 2016
i learned that you have to be constantly work at a fast pace, management was decent but there were some team leads that werent qualified to lead. Overall the team members were really friendly and always willing to help each other.the hardest part of the job was trying to do the job of of several people at times and the most enjoyable part is getting to know your coworkers
Pros
they look out for the employees
Cons
Team members sometimes have to do the work of five people
whole foods is a selfish company
Chef (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 18, 2016
Whole foods fired me for eating a few pieces of chicken . As a matter of fact I was there almost 6 months and on an average there fired 3 people aweek. They have no loyalty to there employees. Not only that they took my last paycheck because they said I owned them. They rather throw food away than let and employee eat. I never cooked anywhere that didn't allow you to eat. 8.99 a pound for food who can afford that
Pros
start off $12 an hr
Cons
takes $200 for insurance every pay period
Amazing artistic work atmosphere
Sign Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 4, 2016
A typical day at work for me at Whole Foods started out as me checking in with my administrative and marketing team to get promotions ready for food items. Id create graphic designs, floor art, wall art etc. for the entire store. I was the only person on staff working as a Sign grapic artist so i didn't have much help with my work loads. This meant I had to work long lonely hours at times but since I was creating artwork I felt right at home.
Pros
Delicious food, artistic atmosphere
Cons
Wasn't very satisfied with work compensation for the amount of duties I had
A company that drives innovation
Lead Buyer-Receiver (Former Employee) –  Ridgewood, NJNovember 7, 2016
This is a great place to work if you love the supermarket industry. They encourage personal growth and being part of the team.I genuinely enjoyed being with my co-workers and learning new things. Most people you work with are voted on and this makes the work situation way more comfortable as you get to pick your leadership. Gainsharing is wonderful and the perks are way better than any other grocery store I know about.
Pros
Team members feel appreciated
Cons
Tough job and crazy hours
Company vision is excellent in terms of saving the environment and practice healthy eating environment globally
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Venice, CANovember 7, 2016
typical work day would be assist customers and process their groceries in all functions such as scanning items,bagging groceries,suggestive and up selling products, customer service and help out on the guest service on occasions. Maintain attractive customer service displays while supporting regional promotions, such as Whole planet foundation, Whole trade, and give support to local community center for poor families with donated can food and shelter during the holiday season each year.
Pros
Benefits, medical, dental, vision, and 401k, stock options etc.
Cons
Lay offs...
A great company to work for!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 3, 2016
Definitely encourages growth and team member satisfaction. Love this company! They offer benefits: health insurance, 401K, time off, and have an employee assistance program (anonymous) that has been quite helpful. It is retail, so there are a number of customers who will inevitably want to share their bad day with you, but the overall mood is quite positive, and my coworkers have become my second family. Nothing but positive things to share about Whole Foods Market!
Pros
Yearly raises, gain sharing program, positive work environment
Cons
Retail hours, restricted time off dates around major holidays
fast paced work environment
GROCERY BUYER- TEAM MENTOR (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 16, 2016
Worked closely with the grocery team to help maintain store conditions; huge customer focus and attention to detail.
Management varies greatly from store to store; employee turnover rate very high at my particular location.
Easy to transfer, but can be very difficult to move up in the company.
Employees were friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Health care packages and 401K offered
Cons
advancement opportunties were very diffucult to come by
A good place
Team Member/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 22, 2016
I have been with this company for several years. I have had the opportunity to move around and work in San Antonio, Chicago, Houston and Austin. For the most part the people I have worked with and my Team Leaders are great. Some of store leadership that I have encountered have not been always been the greatest. There is a shift and a lot of things happening within the company. A downer is that with these changes it seems that there are fewer team members but more work to be done so it seems to spread teams thin.
Pros
Fair compensation, Great health insurance
Cons
Increasing expectations with few team memebers
Fun Place to Work With Great Benefits
Produce Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CA 94403November 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of working at Whole Foods is feeling that you are attending a school. At Whole Foods we attend classes where we will learn things about the department that we are working for. For example, I used to work in the produce section, so I would attend classes to learn about different kinds of fruits, etc. I was able to have knowledge about produce that I would share with our customers to help drive sales by recommending them to purchase certain fruits/vegetables.
Pros
Free Samples, Bonus Every Month
Great products fun work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Harbor East, BaltimoreNovember 24, 2016
Biased management. If you are not buddy buddy with the team leader you are on your way out, not fair, to individuals trying to movie up. I spoke with Walter Robb, VP of whole foods, and he asked me how I was finding things in my department. I answered in confidence and told him our department was not doing well and our team leader was not doing his job. Somehow my team leader got word of this and ever since then he has been looking to get rid of me. I was one of the hardest working employees there, my department can vouch for me, and other leaders in the store can recommend me for this job. I am very qualified.
Pros
Great produce
Working With Whole Foods
Customer Service/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 24, 2016
A typical day at work is never typical it's always new and exciting due to the fact that we get all kinds of customers from around the world. It's always fun to learn new cultures and the things they consume on a daily basis, interesting. Management is great, although they seem to get over-whelmed when it's busy times. Co-workers are amazing and we all get along, like brothers and sisters. Hardest part of the job is learning new products you've never eaten, while trying to learn the benefits you receive from eating healthy food. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers and people I work with on a daily basis.
A place to network and learn tons.
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 25, 2016
Wholefoods market midtown is a place to vibe with like minded people and pick up on new ideas and facts about nutrition and lifestyle. clean well kept store that's big on customer service. Management gives continuous feedback on service. I learned a plant based diet keeps many ailments at bay. my co workers are like a handful of snowflakes all so different but the same. The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the high demand of customer service.
Pros
team member meals. gain sharing
Cons
point system, parking
Outdated Policies and Poor Communication.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNNovember 27, 2016
Management was shoddy at best. Asked for work "off the clock." Promotions were scarce and they didn't care what your experience was and instead followed their "vibe." The culture was toxic and most employees were dissatisfied. Communication was terrible and outdated information was still posted in the break rooms. They changed policies while I was there resulting in a $400 a month paycut, instead redistributing that money back into the company and pretending it was going to other employees. Coworkers were pretty great and made the experience worthwhile.
Pros
Some free products here and there. decent health insurance.
Cons
Poorly trained management, understaffed, pay cuts.
creative workplace with amazing employees.
chef / cook (Current Employee) –  Westwood, CANovember 29, 2016
I have been at Whole Foods for 6 years now and I have a very unique job with the company. I started a raw vegan venue in the Venice location, which included hiring a 5 person team, creating a menu and keeping track of sales. After three years at that store I wanted to expand what I currently I was building, so I built a raw vegan program at my current location. Here I create a menu every Thursday for the local Farmers Market, create catering menus and any specail projects my store manager as me do.
I have been very lucky to have creative freedom with this company and owe a lot to the people that have helped me along the way.
A good fit, for the right person.
Meat/Seafood Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2016
I had been warned that Whole Foods was a different company to work for. What they believe in, how they operate, and the style of management is not like most companies that I have worked for. They are very hands off, if you need help, go to your peers, because upper management will look at you as a weak manager if you seek them out. It is a very "clickish" company, if you don't make friends with your upper management you aren't a part of the group, and cast off as an outsider.
Pros
40 hour work week, even for a manager.
Cons
40 hour work week, even for a manager (not enough time to handle your business)
Walmart With A Green Face
Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 27, 2016
Management is cordial but strict. Pay is low and company is anti-union. You get points for being late or calling in sick. Advancement is nil. Everyone who works there seems sad and unhappy. It is no longer possible for most workers to get full time hours, because "we can't afford the health care costs". Job openings are flown but given to outsiders. You will get counseled if you talk too much. All in all, much like Walmart, but with a "green" facade: in other words, a minimum wage, dead end job, with no future.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Unhappy workers, short staffed, no advancement
Most enjoyable people to work with, good core values, and the best food
Customer Service Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 24, 2016
Working with this company is fun but also professional. It has given me the foundation to be successful in many areas. Most of the management is great and respectful. The team I work with now is the best and most talented I have ever worked with. Recently, there have been some job reconstructions that have rattled some employees. They are still a company that cares about its employees, the environment, and its partners though.
Pros
great employees, amazing benefits
This company truly cares about the environment, its customers and the people it employs.
Customer Service Staff (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 17, 2016
Whole Foods is focused on their customers, employees and sustainability of the environment. This company participates in fundraising for schools and the community, 100% of proceeds go to these programs. Many times throughout the year, employee appreciation acts take place: cookouts, on-site massage therapists, as well as opportunities to win prizes. This is a great company to work for.
Pros
Giving back to the community, customers and employees
Cons
Customer entitlement
Great company with great people.
Produce Team Member (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 18, 2016
This isn't your normal grocery store. Here, you feel like you are actually part of a team. My tasks during a shift didn't really feel too much like work. It felt like the team was building to create a better place. Tasks vary from shift to shift, so it stays interesting.
My coworkers became friends, and some even family. Hardly was there any conflict.
The hardest part of the job may be dealing with an angry customers. You never know how they'll behave and if they will be difficult. It was always satisfying to help them with their issues and see them walk out happy. Having that feeling that I helped somebody made everything worth it.