Whole Foods Market

1.6K reviews

Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Fast paced fun during the holidays.
Bakery Team Member (Current Employee), Huntersville, NCAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule if part time.
Cons: Little to no breaks, artistic freedom is lacking, and free up labor by firing employees instead of managing the hours.
In any given day, depending on the shift, I would set up the coffee bar, stock all the tables and isles for the bakery team. I would then begin packing, pricing, and replenishing the tables as needed. Tasking throughout the day, we would also help every individual that needed assistance. Very focused on numbers, during the slow season. The team I've worked with has taught me countless lessons, not only as an employee but also as an individual.
A Great Job for Beginners
Cashier, Baker, Specialty (Former Employee), St. PaulAugust 31, 2015
Pros: High Pay, 20% employee discount
Cons: Not competative with a BA/BS, Internal favotitism, Less focus on quality as the Company Grows
Whole Foods is a great place to work, especially if you are a student or just starting out. The work environment is great, and the compensation is very competitive. However, as a long term employment option it is not as attractive. The company is very much focused on developing internal potential based on seniority. Therefore, outside applicants need to be in the system for several years before serious advancement. Also, several of the departments have notoriously high turn over, and the "team leaders" tend to be over worked and underpaid. In conclusion, Whole Foods is a great option for people starting out, and especially those who do not have degrees, The emphasis on internal hiring means that a productive team member can go fairly high in the company within their first 5 years. However, pay is not competitive with a BA/BS degree in most cases, and external applicants may find that people less qualified than they are will be preferred for management positions.
"Hippies Selling Groceries"
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 31, 2015
Pros: good work enviroment, genuinely promotes health, amazing co-workers.
Cons: supervisors with not enough training, a lot of gossiping, favoritism.
I enjoyed working with such a diverse group of people, never know what your going to get on a day to day. I learned a ton about the Whole Foods culture. Its a lifestyle and my eyes have been opened up to a lot of exciting and delicious things through the Whole Foods culture. Good benefits.
Grocery team member (Former Employee), Miami, FloridaAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Management was very slothful
The company as a whole has a strong message and it is a good one. Promoting clean living and eating is an important message to the world. They're focused on putting clean, natural and organic substances into your body and on your skin, and the benefits of it brings the most out our minds and bodies.
a busy but fun place to wwork
lead Baker (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaAugust 31, 2015
A good place to work. The company was run in a manner that I would consider non traditional. but if you could deal witht the culture it ca be a fun place to work. eccentric is the word i would use to best describe the company. Not good or bad just different.
typical day
Asst. Team Leader (Former Employee), washington dcAugust 31, 2015
coming into work I like to greet my dept staff make sure everything alright ask what have they done in the time of there shift as im talking to them im walking the dept.i check store sells to see what the goal for today is. I start checking for signage check for product quality. talk to costumers walking through dept
Excellent company for the right person
Wine Buyer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Team Members
Cons: Fall from Conscious Capitalism
Whole Foods Market delivers a reliable job opportunity for person's amenable to the corporate mindset. They once offered recognition and appreciation for employee's unique personalities and positive contribution to the company. The present trend is toward a cookie-cutter customer experience, thus eliminating the signature and special nature particular to each location. The benefits package is above average, although, I witnessed it being trimmed down considerably over the years I worked with the company. The team members employed by Whole Foods Market are most certainly the cream of the crop in personality, work ethic, customer service, creativity, and altruism. The management was hit or miss in my experience. There are opportunities for advancement, but the money is not on the paycheck; it is nested in the benefits package until top tier management is achieved. Consideration for advancement is based on numbers, not ability, networking, not character.
The worst place you could possibly work
Buyer/Supervisor (Current Employee), VAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Pay is semi decent
Cons: If you can think of it, then it is probably true
Wholefoods is a company that profits off of fear mongering. You work everyday with the knowledge that you may be fired for almost no reason by the petty unprofessional management. Those who drink the organic fair trade kool-aid are rewarded and their infractions are overlooked, but if you don't agree with something or don't drink said kool-aid they will set you up to fail.
great company with excellent benefits
Charcuterie Specialist (Former Employee), Kailua, HIAugust 28, 2015
I enjoyed working with the team members and management, and gained great customer service experience. There is a lot of growing room within the company, for team members who are driven and creative.
Really nice job environment.
Cashier/Human Resources/Receptionist (Current Employee), Ridgewood, NJAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Long term jobs
Cons: So difficult to balance plan because of the schedule.
The only difficult point in WFM is to balance our personal life with the crazy schedules the stores handle.

However people really care about others no matter if they are employees or customers.
Focuses on team member happiness and advancement.
Catering Liason (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Positive management, feeling like you are heard
Cons: Usually understaffed, benefits aren't that great
At Whole Foods, I felt I really learned a lot of management skills and was fortunate enough to do so with a great staff of managers and team members who always worked hard to create a great atmosphere for both employees and customers. Whole Foods also encourages all team members to learn new skills in order to cultivate advancement in their own careers and I definitely benefited from this.
Helpful learning environment
Cook (Current Employee), Coral Springs, FlAugust 26, 2015
Whole Foods is an organized company with great opportunities and they provide learning through out the work place. My co-workers are kind and understanding people. My team leaders are hard working individuals that push you and help you strive to be better and faster than when you first start working.
My Experience
Executive Chef (Former Employee), Wellesley, MAAugust 25, 2015
I had no complaints with Whole Foods. I love their products and use them all the time to cook at home when not working. The employee discount was great and saved me tons of money each month. The building was a lot larger than I anticipated just from the outside view, but there were 3 separate sub-levels for either trucking deliveries or specialized kitchens to prevent cross-contamination.
perfect t job
Customer service supervisor (Former Employee), Madison, NJAugust 25, 2015
Whole foods was a very faced paced work place which I loved. I ENJOYED THE FAST PACE TRAINING 40+ TEAM Memebers. The compensation was outstanding and t was alot of room to grow within the company.
seapood prep
Seafood Processor (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 25, 2015
Cons: out of business
Good company till it was bought out. You park at Am tech and then go out to the site till the end of the day. It was decent money for the work we needed to put out each day.
Be a part of a health and sustainability conscious grocery store chain
Guest Services (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 25, 2015
Individuality is encouraged. Great benefits and wonderful training system. Opportunity for growth within the company.
Very fast paced days working with a diverse customer fan base.
Meat/Seafood Dept. (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed working with customers. The work environment was full of good co-workers. The evening shift was a challenge for my personal life.Never saw anyone advance to better positions.
Positive environment with a lot of growth opportunity
Prepared Foods Team Member (Former Employee), Torrance, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: much room for professional growth
Cons: healthcare benefits.
A retail job with flexible scheduling, great and supportive management team. Many opportunities to move up in the company. Friendly employees/coworkers, positive atmosphere.
Can be a truly great company if it can learn the difference between entitlement and empowerment
Grocery Team Leader (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great compensation for the industry, constant growth gives opportunity for advancement, Great flexibility to make your store and team your own, Excellent store team leaders
Cons: Entrenched TMs can make the job unnecessarily complicated, Lots of meaningless and overpromoted regional level posts, Often forgets that it is a grocery store
Over my tenure with the company held a variety of positions in a variety of locations. The compensation and work environments are generally some of the best in a sometimes very unpleasant industry. The decentralized nature of the company gives you a tremendous amount of freedom to succeed or fail roughly proportional to your contributions. The flip-side is that decentralization creates an ever-increasing amount of inefficiencies and redundancies. Positions become silos and some employees have a ivy-league professor-level tenure, regardless of their actual ability and contribution.
Interesting atmosphere.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Portland, MEAugust 23, 2015
Pros: You meet neat humans.
Cons: You meet mean humans.
Go in, stand at your register for your shift, cash humans out. Sometimes you get to bag, do side duties, or help out in other departments.
Headquarters