WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Excellent working conditions
Teacher, U.S. History/Current Events (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 15, 2017
As a teacher I was given material utilizing technology and media long before other school districts followed suit. The culture was the best I have seen in over 30 years. The hardest part of the job was getting there in the snow. The most enjoyable part of the job was freedom of expression and positive feedback from other professionals.
Pros
Car pool for academic use
Cons
Snow and ice on the roadways.
Work building has nice walking areas.
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 2, 2017
The hardest part of the job is being the central hub for staff to call or submit requests for repairs. There are multiple lines to answer and there is a constant lack of communication to staff that needs to know information in order to provide excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of the jobs is the friendships that have been established and the interesting people you talk to everyday.
Pros
Walking areas, cafeteria, co-workers
Cons
healthcare, lack of advancement, summer hours, losing sick days, lack of yearly raises
Great people
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 2, 2017
Worked with some wonderful teachers. Loved seeing the smiling children each day while at the elementary school. Learned some good customer service skills working with parents and volunteers.
Pros
The people and time off during the summer
Cons
School bus issues
Overall not bad
HEAD CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 21, 2017
I would say that overall that Wichita Public Schools is a decent placed to be employed. Like any other workplace, there are a couple of minor imperfections. But the pay is usually pretty good for what people do as well as the benefits. The management is not that bad either.
Pros
Great benefits and leave time.
Cons
N/a
Overworked and undervalued
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  PreKSeptember 17, 2017
So much stress and responsibility and not enough pay. The kids are great, it is mostly district officials that make this job difficult.

I am barely making more than when i started over 10 years ago and i am struggling to support my family on this.

It is not worth the stress for the money.
Pros
Holidays off with my family
Cons
Lots of unpaid days (paras), unsupportive administration, still can't afford medical care because the deductibles and copays are so high.
Productive and caring work environment
Interrelated Benefited Para-eductator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 7, 2017
While working for Wichita Public Schools was my day job while I tried to advance my video production career, I did really enjoy my time there. I was a Para-educator who worked primarily with children with special needs ranging from developmental to behavioral disorders. My fellow employees were very patient with me as I learned the ropes and were very influential to the children.
Typical public school
Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 20, 2017
USD 259 Wichita public schools is your typical public school. The administration does not support the teachers, so you are pretty much on your own. As long as you know that going in, you are good to go.
Pros
summers off
Cons
lack of support
Stressful place to work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 2, 2017
Student and staff morale has definitely declined over the past 10 years which increases stressful conditions for students and staff. Several years ago, there were a couple of schools labeled with major disciplinary problems. Unfortunately, discipline problems have drastically increased to an unimaginable high at several elementary and middle schools.Hopefully, we can look forward to changes for improvement within the new school year.
Pros
Tutoring, Free Breakfast, Free Lunch, Healthy Snack Program
Cons
lack of productive options for uncontrolled behavior
Working with kids
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 27, 2017
If you enjoy helping people out then working as a tutor is very good. My adviser was really nice and let me set my hours that will work with my college schedule.
Great company overall
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 19, 2017
Allowed to work a schedule which matched my children's school schedule. I was given the opportunity to grow as a professional over the time I worked for the School District in Wichita, KS.
well balanced job
Para educator/ avid tutor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 10, 2017
I would recommend this position to anyone who was looking, i absolutely love not having to work weekends and getting holidays off as well. i hope to continue to work here through out my entire teaching career.
Pros
fun kids, great co workers
Cons
early mornings
Awesome place to work with job security.
School Social Worker - Middle School (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 9, 2017
I have worked for Wichita Public Schools for nearly 23 years and in various job placements. I have enjoyed my employment in most every aspect. The School district is a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Salary is a plus
Cons
health care is not the best but it is affordable.
Great Place to Work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 31, 2017
Public School System, Had great benefits; the opportunity to advance, Enjoyed the people that I worked with, and enjoyed working with school staff and students
Pros
Rewarding Work
Cons
Salary
Wichita Public Schools
Safety Technician/Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 13, 2017
Does not respect the safety culture. Preaches safety but does not back it up. Management asked people to stand down or overlook situations that could potentially cause harm.
Struggling School District
ISS Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton MSDecember 13, 2016
I would not recommend working for this school district. The Superintendent took a 7.5% raise while cutting pay for support staff. The priority of the school district are not the students but rather budgeting money to ensure the staff at the AMAC building still receive their salary.
Doesn't value employees
Curriculum Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita KSOctober 18, 2016
This organization doesn't value it's employees, regardless of if they are teachers, administrators, or coaches. To them, you are just a number and, if the wind changes, you will be out for no reason. Additionally, they value expensive programs over employee compensation. After 12 years, I only received 4 raises- even though I began with a Bachelors and earned both a Masters and Doctorate during my employment.
Good learning experience
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 25, 2016
Worked with great people. Obtained a great deal of knowledge in regards to my profession. Learned to collaborate as a team and adapt to situations under stressful situations.
As an lre
Temp-Aid LRE (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 3, 2016
Assist students and teachers in creating an effective learning environment. I've learned new tools of helping new students learn basic levels of education to prepare them for the next stages of their educational lives.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to effectively help the student. Thirty minutes with a child that has learning disabilities in a normal class setting is not enough to bring the student up to the appropriate/expected learning level.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the student actually comprehending what is being taught (the light bulb comes on).
Pros
able to teach the children of our future
Cons
Finacially not able to provide for my own family (under paid)
Very professional and pleasant environment with different levels of staff members.
Administrative Assistant Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2016
I work with a great team. It is a joy to work with middle school students. The school has a great climate/culture to work in.
Great part time
Literacy Curriculum Coach (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 4, 2016
Love being able to create and teach classes and this allows me to do just that! Friends University Education workshop department is east to work with and always answer all my questions.