WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS

WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employer Reviews

Worked with a phenomenal team of teachers.
Third Grade Educator, USD 259 (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJuly 14, 2014
Pros: my third grade team
Cons: long hours and long drive
This was a very rewarding and enlightening experience for my first year of teaching.
Not horrible, but NO advancement opportunities
Peon (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: many days off throughout the year, weekends off, nights off
Cons: no chances for advancement. it's a 'job'...definitely not a career.
Not the worst place to work, but if you're young and energetic, this might not be for you. You'll get a job here and more than likely start spinning your wheels in a dead-end job. If you're career oriented, strive to get a job in the private sector where your hard work can be rewarded with advancement opportunities.
fun place to work
Assistant Supervisor of Transportation (Former Employee), wichita, ksNovember 12, 2012
Duties included but not limited to staffing of employees, budget creation and monitoring, bus route creation and monitoring, facility management, vehicle purchasing and maintenance, student discipline, computer software purchasing/development, and staff development.
Fun enviroment, hard work.
Custodian (Former Employee), Wichita, KSAugust 5, 2012
Pros: pros would be great benefit plan, flexible schedule, weekends off, paid holidays
Cons: cons would be working with staff that have low morale, and a low work ethic.
A typical daya at work with Wichita Public Schools (WPS)would be arriving early enough to gather materials needed for work-day. Cleaning through assigned run, checking with Teachers/classrooms in the interim to see if any additional touch-ups need to be completed. I've learned how to use various equipment that I may have needed a refresher on - stripping/waxing, – more... ordering supplies, keeping budget. Co-workers for the most part all had the same agenda; to keep the schools as clean as possible for our kids and staff members. Hardest part of the job was keeping morale up in a high turnover enviroment, and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids and being a productive part of an organization. – less
Collabortation and teen mentoring.
Paraeducator- Secondary Ed.; Track & Field Coach (Current Employee), Wichita, KSApril 29, 2012
Pros: student success rate
Within the five years I have been employed at Southeast High School I have learned the true meaning of patience. Working with teens is a challenge in itself, but teaching teens with special needs is another avenue most working adults do not face. You are taught that your presence may be the most valuable part of their day, teaching them life skills – more... and showing them how to be productive in a society that may not be accepting of them. These children brought a smile to my face every day. Their joy in life showed me how to appreciate smaller things often over looked.

The hardest part of the job is seeing your students graduate. It is truly a bitter sweet moment. You never know where their journey will lead them.

Collaborating with teachers on lesson plans is vital to the growth of each individual student. This portion of the job was most challenging due to the rigor placed in the lessons. You do not want to hinder a student from succeeding academically or socially.

These things named above combined with staff interaction, written and oral correspondence with supervisors, and following Board of Education Paraeducator job descriptions, to name a few, are typical in a day as a Paraeducator at Southeast High School. – less