WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Doesn't value employees
Curriculum Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita KSOctober 18, 2016
This organization doesn't value it's employees, regardless of if they are teachers, administrators, or coaches. To them, you are just a number and, if the wind changes, you will be out for no reason. Additionally, they value expensive programs over employee compensation. After 12 years, I only received 4 raises- even though I began with a Bachelors and earned both a Masters and Doctorate during my employment.
Good learning experience
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 25, 2016
Worked with great people. Obtained a great deal of knowledge in regards to my profession. Learned to collaborate as a team and adapt to situations under stressful situations.
As an lre
Temp-Aid LRE (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 3, 2016
Assist students and teachers in creating an effective learning environment. I've learned new tools of helping new students learn basic levels of education to prepare them for the next stages of their educational lives.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to effectively help the student. Thirty minutes with a child that has learning disabilities in a normal class setting is not enough to bring the student up to the appropriate/expected learning level.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the student actually comprehending what is being taught (the light bulb comes on).
Pros
able to teach the children of our future
Cons
Finacially not able to provide for my own family (under paid)
Very professional and pleasant environment with different levels of staff members.
Administrative Assistant Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2016
I work with a great team. It is a joy to work with middle school students. The school has a great climate/culture to work in.
Great part time
Literacy Curriculum Coach (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 4, 2016
Love being able to create and teach classes and this allows me to do just that! Friends University Education workshop department is east to work with and always answer all my questions.
Review of Daily Activities
Ramp Up Literacy Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooks Middle SchoolApril 12, 2016
Currently I teach 7th grade Language Arts and reading intervention.
I teach from 7:00 a.m.-2:10 p.m.
I work daily with the Student Celebration Panther Pack and the 7th grade team.
Each day I prepare and teach lessons, make adjustments to lessons when needed, post and record grades, communicate with parents and staff, participate in professional development and collaborate with teachers.
Pros
the ability to make an impact in a learner's life
Cons
work overload: gradeing papers
great place to work
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 23, 2016
I only wish that Para educators were respected more. However being able to work with the children and see the smiles make it all worth while.
I enjoy working for WFISD. The overall rating is good.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXSeptember 26, 2015
I enjoy working for WFISD.
The hours and salary are good.
The teachers are nice and good at their jobs.
A typical day at work begins at 7:30 a,m.
A typical day at work ends around 3:30 or 4:00 p.m.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
When some of the students don't nap with the other students.
Depend upon your inner strength.
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 29, 2015
All-in-all I would say that teaching at Wichita South was challenging and fun. I enjoyed my students tremendously. They are critical thinkers that challenge authority, and teachers have to prove countless times that they will treat youngsters fairly and will teach them with a bag full of magic tricks. Once students know that you will do this, they turn on their charm and you can behold the beauty of their love.

I think that any school should attempt to match teachers that are new to the school with teachers that have acquired experience working within the school during the first year. This school did not do that for me. Nevertheless, teachers were helpful, and mostly positive.

In general, kids required an incredible amount of time to establish trust. I felt an overwhelming need to connect with the students and parents in order to conjure up necessary behavior and performance from students. I think it would be helpful for teachers to have students for multiple years since the time invested in building relationships is so great.

I was able to conduct a project which placed students in active civic and environmental leadership roles. There were other projects for which I solicited support from administration to no avail. I think that administration is overburdened with discipline issues and may need additional support. The school I work in has a student body of about 1,500. I think it would help to have students divided into manageable physical communities for which specific administrators are responsible.

Wichita schools have channeled funds into building
  more... new gyms and related recreational facilities. I believe this will have a positive impact on students. However, other areas are lacking. One of the impetuses that pushed me into the job market was being moved to a room that is inadequate for teaching science. Large enough only to add desks for students, there are no lab tables, storage cabinets, and there is not even a window. The inadequate space for moving around is not conducive to the physical movement that teachers are supposed to be promoting.

Administrators have locked up spaces in the new recreation areas to be used only for specific activities and are reluctant to opening them up for classroom space. Children are packed into classrooms, so that as many as 32 students are found sitting at desks and at stools at lab stations even when a different seating arrangement would be better-suited for the activity.

I think the availability of technology at Wichita South is better than any school I have taught at in the past. My technology needs were always met. Problems were always fixed within the day.

I believe that Wichita South is moving forward and addressing the educational, emotional, and physical needs of students. It leaves much to be desired, but the highly qualified and motivated teaching staff is making remarkable gains in enriching minds, bodies, and spirits.
The school system
Intern (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 26, 2015
at times it is hard to get on with the school system unless you know somebody or have the proper degree. I waited several months to get a call back after I applied
Dedicated Administrators, Staff & Students
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 2, 2015
Teaching for the Wichita School District is still one of the highlights of my life. I worked with awesome students from several schools & learned from & mentored many dedicated administrators/educators/facilitators.
Edit review
Pros
Administrators/Educators/Students
A good workplace to work
Special Education Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 10, 2014
Good, I enjoy educating my student. The hardest part of my job is the culture of teachers with in the district.
Pros
Plan Time
Cons
Health care
Friendly folks and consistent work
Lawn Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 14, 2014
All crew members meet in the morning. Prepare the mowers, Equipment, Gas, etc. Prepare work orders and drive to various school through out the day.
Worked with a phenomenal team of teachers.
Third Grade Educator, USD 259 (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 14, 2014
This was a very rewarding and enlightening experience for my first year of teaching.
Pros
My Third Grade Team
Cons
Long Hours and Long Drive
Not horrible, but NO advancement opportunities
Peon (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 8, 2013
Not the worst place to work, but if you're young and energetic, this might not be for you. You'll get a job here and more than likely start spinning your wheels in a dead-end job. If you're career oriented, strive to get a job in the private sector where your hard work can be rewarded with advancement opportunities.
Pros
many days off throughout the year, weekends off, nights off
Cons
no chances for advancement. it's a 'job'...definitely not a career.
Fun enviroment, hard work.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 5, 2012
A typical daya at work with Wichita Public Schools (WPS)would be arriving early enough to gather materials needed for work-day. Cleaning through assigned run, checking with Teachers/classrooms in the interim to see if any additional touch-ups need to be completed. I've learned how to use various equipment that I may have needed a refresher on - stripping/waxing, ordering supplies, keeping budget. Co-workers for the most part all had the same agenda; to keep the schools as clean as possible for our kids and staff members. Hardest part of the job was keeping morale up in a high turnover enviroment, and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids and being a productive part of an organization.
Pros
pros would be great benefit plan, flexible schedule, weekends off, paid holidays
Cons
cons would be working with staff that have low morale, and a low work ethic.
Collabortation and teen mentoring.
Paraeducator- Secondary Ed.; Track & Field Coach (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 29, 2012
Within the five years I have been employed at Southeast High School I have learned the true meaning of patience. Working with teens is a challenge in itself, but teaching teens with special needs is another avenue most working adults do not face. You are taught that your presence may be the most valuable part of their day, teaching them life skills and showing them how to be productive in a society that may not be accepting of them. These children brought a smile to my face every day. Their joy in life showed me how to appreciate smaller things often over looked.

The hardest part of the job is seeing your students graduate. It is truly a bitter sweet moment. You never know where their journey will lead them.

Collaborating with teachers on lesson plans is vital to the growth of each individual student. This portion of the job was most challenging due to the rigor placed in the lessons. You do not want to hinder a student from succeeding academically or socially.

These things named above combined with staff interaction, written and oral correspondence with supervisors, and following Board of Education Paraeducator job descriptions, to name a few, are typical in a day as a Paraeducator at Southeast High School.
Pros
student success rate

2.8