Wichita State University Employee Reviews

multiple responsibilities on the job with access to a variety of events
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 31, 2014
As with most any workplace, there are a variety of personalities and work ethics amongst my co-workers, but we do what we need to get the work done in a professional & timely manner. This also applies to the management.
A typical day for me starts at least a half hour before the actual clock-in time. I use this period to go over emails, check voice mail, get my computer, printers, and other assorted equipment up and running, and take care of anything else so that I may be at my desk to begin working by the appointed hour. In my position, I know what needs to be taken care of, how to accomplish the tasks, and which items are of most importance, thus I am capable of working independently. From the start of the day I perform a variety of responsibilities, some of which involve assisting other areas with their work loads.
I feel the hardest part of my job can be the "language" barrier when it comes to technical terms. As for the most enjoyable part of my job, I truly enjoy all the events and activities available to university employees and the community. The atmosphere on campus after a win at the big game, or hearing the beautiful strains of a composition from an accomplished musician can be such an uplifting experience.
After 19 years, I have learned many life lessons as well as gaining professional knowledge. I have acquired an understanding of computers and assorted office equipment, while conquering my fear of the unknown. I have made good friends, and said goodbye to a few of them. I have learned that changes are inevitable, and if you fight them, it only makes things harder.
  more... But, if you embrace the challenge of learning different things, a new and exciting world can be opened up to you.  less
Pros
weekends & holidays off, available opportunities
Cons
lack of adequate parking, poor communication
The same as for Friends University
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
My teaching experience has taught me that I can use different approaches to reach and help all students do their best, because each learns differently. Any good, sensitive teacher does so intuitively. I want to tailor my teaching to the needs of my students, while maintaining learning discipline with the help of a good basic structure from a good text book. I teach listening, speaking, writing, reading, and grammar. I teach the beginning class by explaining the structure in English. As the students progress, I switch to French and incorporate more and more of what they have learned as a reinforcement.
As I grew up in Switzerland, where four national languages are spoken, and in Italy (3+ spoken languages), I can incorporate every day my own first hand experience and cultures, besides the cultures of many other francophone countries. When I think of culture, I mean current and past lifestyles, topography, climate, art, architecture, music, food, traditions, and so much more. For this purpose, I hope to use all media available to me in the classroom, especially the internet.
I strive to instill the passion, the fun, and the joy of learning and communicating in another language. I want my students to recognize the advantages and endless possibilities, and to broaden their horizons.
As in their other classes, my students are learning that it takes commitment, hard work and endurance, with lasting results.

The hardest challenge: Trying to fit all I want to teach into the short time I get to spend time with my students.

What i learned: As I gather more experience, I also
  more... learn from mistakes and change my approaches at an ongoing basis, because the world changes continually, and we must go along with it and keep adapting and be part of the change, but also to keep my job interesting formy own continued learning every day.  less
Pros
Working with people and teaching them is very rearding job.
Cons
No health insurance or job security; subject to student enrollment
Fun atmosphere but no where to grow/ learn from
Shocker Hall Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 27, 2015
Short hours can't work more than 8- 9 hours at a time
How things get categorized with maintenance requests, programs they use for intramural and games and, how to communicate to get something done the way you would like it done
Coworkers can be flaky since its college and creates a lot of problems, pay is minimum wage and they will not pay more at entry level jobs
Hardest part is dealing with the college students because the hours for picking up stuff is to a regular day when the students live there 24/7
enjoyable part is meeting so many new people and getting to know their backgrounds
Pros
meeting people
Cons
to many problems for one person to get done
Fun Life
Member of Aerospace Senior Design (Former Employee) –  WichitaAugust 6, 2015
Working is a part of life, it comprises learning, emotion, and experience. Most of the time I will having a productive working day as I am learning new experience. Learning happens in every second, I learned how to work in group and individual because when you are working in group there are a lot of different ideas but we have to come in consensus, that is how I solve problems.

I always have a backup or thinking ahead in management as nothing is perfect in this world. That is one of the ways to reduce panic situation and prevent wasting too much time because time is gold. Money, Quality, and Time are very important to me and company.

There is always a happy time especially when you solve a trouble, as you can see people around you can finally calm down and relax.
very fullfilling job
Kansas Kids@GEARUP College Access Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 24, 2014
I love working at WSU, however I am currently looking towards moving in the next few months and seeking employment closer to the location I will be moving to.
WSU is an amazing place to work for. The program that I work for is a Federally funded grant in which WSU is the grant holder of. I work with low income and foster care students preparing them for a post secondary education.
Working for WSU these past 4 years is both rewarding and exciting. It's a wonderful place to work. I will continue my employment unless an opportunity comes my way that will be closer to my new location.
The Office of Student Success was good.
Student Assistant - Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 13, 2015
It is a program that helps students succeed in the college years. The mission is excellent, however, since the service is totally free for students, it is difficult to get them engaged. That makes the job insecure, I had to leave because there wasn't enough demand for the curses I tutored. Another downside is that I like to have some structure in my daily activities, and found it inconvenient to have students call me the day before they needed tutoring. I wasn't able to truly plan my activities.
Great Experience
Composite Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 26, 2015
This is was basic hand on training in the composite manufacturing process. I learned the properties of composite materials how they are processed and applied in different industries such as air craft , automobile, home appliance ,...
The new professor was great at demonstrating the procedure such as wet lay up and testing for defects.
Overall , it was not hard, it was technical. Watching and listening , then trying to work on it by myself was the key .
It was enjoyable to learn many great things about composite.
A good place to enjoy a work-family balanced life.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 3, 2015
Wichita State University is one of the largest school in Kansas. The work environment is really nice here. People are very cooperative and social. Because of the enormity of giant aerospace companies like Spirit, Cessna, Bombardier etc., most of the job opportunities are based on aircraft parts manufacturing and assembling.
Pros
Less work pressure, Good benefits, Helpful colleagues
Cons
Payment is low compare to other schools
Wichita State University
graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 11, 2012
I served as a graduate research assistant, on the evaluation end of a HRSA training grant designed to increase cultural competency in graduating Physician Assistants. The grant was structured to implement and evaluate a novel curriculum component to address cultural competency in the professional phase, but also was intended to recruit and retain minority faculty, preceptors, students, and to help mitigate barriers that many under-represented minorities face in becoming competitive for admission to the program.
Exceptional environment to work in providing great services to the student/athletes of the university.
Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 13, 2014
A typical day at work as a bowling coach for the Wichita State University's Shocker Bowling Program is very rewarding. Each day is met with the desire to better the student athlete in all areas of player development and academic success. It is a great feeling bringing together students from all over the world and guiding them on the same path to reach the ultimate goal of team bonding and success.
Productive, growing and teaching workplace
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 30, 2012
Every day is a day of growth and opportunity. An opportunity to make another young woman better as a player and a person. Working with others and collaborating new ideas was a great experience and the lessons learned will stay with me. The best part of the job is the growth of my players!
Pros
travel, adventure, adrenaline, teaching
Cons
no time for self and not enough time to teach all you would like
Productive and multicultural
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 16, 2012
I used to work from 8am to 6pm. From my job I learned how to handle the difficult situations and meet deadlines.My team members were cooperative. The most enjoyable part is that when we were under pressure to meet some deadline then we worked and helped each other like a family. Another thing is that since I worked in various projects so I got opportunity to do work in multicultural environment.
Productive and able to help improve students learning of subjects
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 2, 2015
A typical days involved meeting a student and helping the understand the subject they were trying to learn on a one on one atmosphere. I learned that there are a lot of different people out there some are better at some subjects then other but all have a desire to improve themselves and want to remember more from their classes.
Pros
meet a lot of new people
Did research in a microfluidics/biosensor lab at Wichita State University
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita StateSeptember 1, 2015
While here, I gained a lot of experience doing cell cultures of eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, imaged them using fluorescent microscopy, learned biosafety lab protocols and aseptic techniques, soft-lithography for producing microfluidic chips, performed viability assays, and developed technical writing skills.
Productive and Well Organized working enviroment
SPTE Proctor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 5, 2014
The management of the location i worked at was very conductive, always providing working schedules that fit all the need of the employers. The co-workers were very friendly and always willing to clear any doubts that you had. The job was very enjoyable as i could meet new people on a job to job basis.
Pros
good working schedule, convenient location.
productive and fun workplace
Graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 27, 2012
• Strong team collaboration skills. Work closely with team members to achieve goals
• Mechanical aptitude and knowledge and problem solving skills
• Hands-on experience with manufacturing of composites and material testing, (pre-preg layup, composite sandwich with foam
• Advanced organizational skills
• Highly accomplished quick learner
• Hard working and dedicated and able to work well under pressure
Wichita State University is a great place to work and learn.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 28, 2015
I learned what an office is all about and about the great students. I think the most enjoyable part was being able to meet so many of the students and the university people.
Pros
a free class a semester that was connected to my job.
Cons
sometimes getting away for a break would be difficult.
Freedom to learn from experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 16, 2015
As a graduate teaching assistant at Wichita State University I have learned a lot about myself and about geology by presenting lectures and helping with labs. The freedom to put all of this together on my own and the way that i prefer has really allowed me to learn and grow as a geologists.
Great management/Team leading experience
Captain of Men's Track and Field (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 25, 2014
I absolutely loved being a team leader and the experience. You had a new situation everyday, whether it be preparing people for practice, a meet, or just getting there lives less stressful to be able to focus on the job at hand.
Pros
team management and leading skills
Reasonable place to work for a college student, zero advancement opportunity.
Veteran Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KansasAugust 5, 2013
While this job served it's purpose, there is zero advancement opportunity for 95% of the workforce. Employees consistantly complain about the lack of support from leaders, low pay and redundant work.
Pros
state employee so benefits are reasonable
Cons
poor leadership

4.3