Wichita State University Employee Reviews

Great Company
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 7, 2016
while working there I noticed that training was everything. Paid to take tests that you needed to advance. Management was as busy as the rest.
Pros
paid training, good benefits
Cons
short breaks.
Great Job for Full-Time Students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 29, 2016
I loved working at WSU and I wish that I could still be working there, however the positions fill up fast for students. There are no compensation/benefits and the department that I worked for had a small job security issue.
Pros
free time for homework, very laid back environment
Cons
work days seemed to be a little long due to lack of work
great place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 27, 2016
it was a great place to work had alot of experince
working with people
it was a place to have fun with students, parents and teachers
faulcaties and other
Great and more Interesting
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 2, 2016
Manageable time limit and nice pay
Lot of opportunities to Learn and challenge ourself
co-workers and supervisor were more supportive
Teaching experience
Research Assistant for the Structural Lab (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 1, 2016
The hardest part was first time teaching in my career. I really enjoyed teaching and the management was excellent. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a teacher.
Productive and fun
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 22, 2016
Balance of school and work was made easier by only working 20 hours a week. Professors work with you and give you insight as well as connections for future careers.
Program Assistant
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 22, 2016
TRIO-Educational Opportunity Centers Program Provide assistance to adults using the Technology Resource Center and Lab Provide Intake assistance for adults who walk-in or call-ins for EOC services. Assist adults with FAFSA and College application on-line submission. Facilitate various computer based learning labs and open labs. Assist with front desk reception duties. Assist with general office duties as assigned.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KansasJune 15, 2016
good place to works. job facilities are pretty good, excellent lab facilities, nice management system. Payments and other facilities are not bad.
I worked there as a graduate student assistant. Nice work environment.
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 9, 2016
I worked there as a graduate student assistant. Nice work environment.Welcoming campus for International Student.Co-workers are very supportive.So many scope for learning.
Wsu
Associate Director of Facilities and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 31, 2016
Responsible for daily operations of the Office of Housing and Residence Life facilities and serves as a resource for the students, faculty, staff, and administration of the University and surrounding community. Supervises professional, support, and paraprofessional staff. Work effectively with a wide range of constituents within a diverse community. Manage the day-to-day housekeeping and maintenance of all housing facilities along with managing facilities projects, renovation and construction responsibilities to include: planning, bidding, specification preparations, oversight, and renovation budget management. Oversee security cameras, key inventory, shuttle bus program, and participate in staff training and student recruitment events. Oversee payroll and other personnel matters for facilities areas. Responsible for staff recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of up to 15 full-time, classified housekeeping and maintenance staff, two part-time staff, classified shuttle bus drivers and over 10 student assistants. Work collaboratively with staff to develop annual goals, preventative maintenance schedules, and capital replacement schedules. On-call 24/7 for crisis management; participates with campus committees, makes presentations, handles department assessments and report writing for University Database. Handles other duties assigned by the Director of Housing and Residence Life as needed.
Great Mentor
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 27, 2016
I was fortunate to have a patient adviser who guided me through the whole process of learning.

I learned a lot , since there are many things to learn in coding. But I came out of it with better knowledge in Matlab and coding.

Mechanical Engineering Department at Wichita State University is awesome.
Challenging
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 19, 2016
A day would start at the lab and ends at the same lab. i have learned the approach to a project, troubleshooting the problems and tabulating the results and analyzing the results. after the experiment was done i have to submit the results to my professor and have to get a feedback from him. getting the resources is the hardest part in my job. it was always fun to know the new topic and new technology which u were never aware of.
Pros
flexible timing
great overall job culture, some hidden problems
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 20, 2016
The university is a good place to work in general. The pay is not very high. The President is new since I left so I do not know how the culture has changed. Some supervisors are great and some are really not.
Pros
Positive job culture as a general place
Cons
lower pay, not much recourse if you have a problem
Volunteer Teacher Supervisor Postion
Supervising librarian (Former Employee) –  Off SiteMarch 17, 2016
I served as a teacher supervisor for the library media certification program at Wichita State University. This entailed completing paperwork, overseeing students teaching progress and evaluating their performance over a number of weeks.
Pros
Service to the profession
Cons
Extra work load
It was great working as proctor as I got opportunity to visit different classes
Student (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 16, 2016
It was a bit tough to get part time jobs for international students but once if we get job there it was joyful working there part time while studying
good
Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 17, 2016
It was a good experience overall. I learned a lot about managing inventory, taking work orders, forecasting and scheduling purchase orders.
Pros
Good hands on experience
Cons
less working hours
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 15, 2016
Research facilities are good. Enriched Library. Well maintained campus. Free lunches provided sometimes. Learned a lot from this renowned university.
Pros
Free Staionary Stuffs
Cons
Ride
The same as for Friends University
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
My teaching experience has taught me that I can use different approaches to reach and help all students do their best, because each learns differently. Any good, sensitive teacher does so intuitively. I want to tailor my teaching to the needs of my students, while maintaining learning discipline with the help of a good basic structure from a good text book. I teach listening, speaking, writing, reading, and grammar. I teach the beginning class by explaining the structure in English. As the students progress, I switch to French and incorporate more and more of what they have learned as a reinforcement.
As I grew up in Switzerland, where four national languages are spoken, and in Italy (3+ spoken languages), I can incorporate every day my own first hand experience and cultures, besides the cultures of many other francophone countries. When I think of culture, I mean current and past lifestyles, topography, climate, art, architecture, music, food, traditions, and so much more. For this purpose, I hope to use all media available to me in the classroom, especially the internet.
I strive to instill the passion, the fun, and the joy of learning and communicating in another language. I want my students to recognize the advantages and endless possibilities, and to broaden their horizons.
As in their other classes, my students are learning that it takes commitment, hard work and endurance, with lasting results.

The hardest challenge: Trying to fit all I want to teach into the short time I get to spend time with my students.

What i learned: As I gather more experience, I also
  more... learn from mistakes and change my approaches at an ongoing basis, because the world changes continually, and we must go along with it and keep adapting and be part of the change, but also to keep my job interesting formy own continued learning every day.  less
Pros
Working with people and teaching them is very rearding job.
Cons
No health insurance or job security; subject to student enrollment
Fun atmosphere but no where to grow/ learn from
Shocker Hall Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 27, 2015
Short hours can't work more than 8- 9 hours at a time
How things get categorized with maintenance requests, programs they use for intramural and games and, how to communicate to get something done the way you would like it done
Coworkers can be flaky since its college and creates a lot of problems, pay is minimum wage and they will not pay more at entry level jobs
Hardest part is dealing with the college students because the hours for picking up stuff is to a regular day when the students live there 24/7
enjoyable part is meeting so many new people and getting to know their backgrounds
Pros
meeting people
Cons
to many problems for one person to get done
feels like you never left school
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2015
it feels like you never left school so its not that interesting but if you want a slow job go for it. You might as well enjoy sitting around and not doing much work

4.4