Wichita State University Employee Reviews in United States

great overall job culture, some hidden problems
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 20, 2016
The university is a good place to work in general. The pay is not very high. The President is new since I left so I do not know how the culture has changed. Some supervisors are great and some are really not.
Pros
Positive job culture as a general place
Cons
lower pay, not much recourse if you have a problem
Volunteer Teacher Supervisor Postion
Supervising librarian (Former Employee) –  Off SiteMarch 17, 2016
I served as a teacher supervisor for the library media certification program at Wichita State University. This entailed completing paperwork, overseeing students teaching progress and evaluating their performance over a number of weeks.
Pros
Service to the profession
Cons
Extra work load
It was great working as proctor as I got opportunity to visit different classes
Student (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 16, 2016
It was a bit tough to get part time jobs for international students but once if we get job there it was joyful working there part time while studying
good
Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 17, 2016
It was a good experience overall. I learned a lot about managing inventory, taking work orders, forecasting and scheduling purchase orders.
Pros
Good hands on experience
Cons
less working hours
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 15, 2016
Research facilities are good. Enriched Library. Well maintained campus. Free lunches provided sometimes. Learned a lot from this renowned university.
Pros
Free Staionary Stuffs
Cons
Ride
The same as for Friends University
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
My teaching experience has taught me that I can use different approaches to reach and help all students do their best, because each learns differently. Any good, sensitive teacher does so intuitively. I want to tailor my teaching to the needs of my students, while maintaining learning discipline with the help of a good basic structure from a good text book. I teach listening, speaking, writing, reading, and grammar. I teach the beginning class by explaining the structure in English. As the students progress, I switch to French and incorporate more and more of what they have learned as a reinforcement.
As I grew up in Switzerland, where four national languages are spoken, and in Italy (3+ spoken languages), I can incorporate every day my own first hand experience and cultures, besides the cultures of many other francophone countries. When I think of culture, I mean current and past lifestyles, topography, climate, art, architecture, music, food, traditions, and so much more. For this purpose, I hope to use all media available to me in the classroom, especially the internet.
I strive to instill the passion, the fun, and the joy of learning and communicating in another language. I want my students to recognize the advantages and endless possibilities, and to broaden their horizons.
As in their other classes, my students are learning that it takes commitment, hard work and endurance, with lasting results.

The hardest challenge: Trying to fit all I want to teach into the short time I get to spend time with my students.

What i learned: As I gather more experience, I also
  more... learn from mistakes and change my approaches at an ongoing basis, because the world changes continually, and we must go along with it and keep adapting and be part of the change, but also to keep my job interesting formy own continued learning every day.  less
Pros
Working with people and teaching them is very rearding job.
Cons
No health insurance or job security; subject to student enrollment
Fun atmosphere but no where to grow/ learn from
Shocker Hall Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 27, 2015
Short hours can't work more than 8- 9 hours at a time
How things get categorized with maintenance requests, programs they use for intramural and games and, how to communicate to get something done the way you would like it done
Coworkers can be flaky since its college and creates a lot of problems, pay is minimum wage and they will not pay more at entry level jobs
Hardest part is dealing with the college students because the hours for picking up stuff is to a regular day when the students live there 24/7
enjoyable part is meeting so many new people and getting to know their backgrounds
Pros
meeting people
Cons
to many problems for one person to get done
feels like you never left school
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2015
it feels like you never left school so its not that interesting but if you want a slow job go for it. You might as well enjoy sitting around and not doing much work
Freedom to learn from experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 16, 2015
As a graduate teaching assistant at Wichita State University I have learned a lot about myself and about geology by presenting lectures and helping with labs. The freedom to put all of this together on my own and the way that i prefer has really allowed me to learn and grow as a geologists.
Great Opportunity for Students
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 16, 2015
Professor helped a lot to learn new things which made me more confident as an engineer. Got 60% off tuition fees. Attended meetings with people from industry.
A good place to enjoy a work-family balanced life.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 3, 2015
Wichita State University is one of the largest school in Kansas. The work environment is really nice here. People are very cooperative and social. Because of the enormity of giant aerospace companies like Spirit, Cessna, Bombardier etc., most of the job opportunities are based on aircraft parts manufacturing and assembling.
Pros
Less work pressure, Good benefits, Helpful colleagues
Cons
Payment is low compare to other schools
Productive and able to help improve students learning of subjects
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 2, 2015
A typical days involved meeting a student and helping the understand the subject they were trying to learn on a one on one atmosphere. I learned that there are a lot of different people out there some are better at some subjects then other but all have a desire to improve themselves and want to remember more from their classes.
Pros
meet a lot of new people
Fun workplace
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  libraryOctober 23, 2015
Very nice hands on experience at Wichita State university as a graduate student. Thrived to learn more. Got to learn about networks, LAN and operating systems
The Office of Student Success was good.
Student Assistant - Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 13, 2015
It is a program that helps students succeed in the college years. The mission is excellent, however, since the service is totally free for students, it is difficult to get them engaged. That makes the job insecure, I had to leave because there wasn't enough demand for the curses I tutored. Another downside is that I like to have some structure in my daily activities, and found it inconvenient to have students call me the day before they needed tutoring. I wasn't able to truly plan my activities.
Office Manager, 1 person office
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 3, 2015
I communicated with individuals in a professional manner. I loved my position/people at WSU, each day was a learning experience.
Pros
Professional Atmosphere
Wichita State University is a great place to work and learn.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 28, 2015
I learned what an office is all about and about the great students. I think the most enjoyable part was being able to meet so many of the students and the university people.
Pros
a free class a semester that was connected to my job.
Cons
sometimes getting away for a break would be difficult.
good local college, but no big help for your future career
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita,KSSeptember 20, 2015
It is a good local university, but if you stuck here for four years, you will lose a lot of resources comparing to others from big city
Did research in a microfluidics/biosensor lab at Wichita State University
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita StateSeptember 1, 2015
While here, I gained a lot of experience doing cell cultures of eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, imaged them using fluorescent microscopy, learned biosafety lab protocols and aseptic techniques, soft-lithography for producing microfluidic chips, performed viability assays, and developed technical writing skills.
Great Experience
Composite Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 26, 2015
This is was basic hand on training in the composite manufacturing process. I learned the properties of composite materials how they are processed and applied in different industries such as air craft , automobile, home appliance ,...
The new professor was great at demonstrating the procedure such as wet lay up and testing for defects.
Overall , it was not hard, it was technical. Watching and listening , then trying to work on it by myself was the key .
It was enjoyable to learn many great things about composite.
professional lab environment
Design Engineer, lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Biomechanics labAugust 21, 2015
I work with student and faculty to run biomechanical experiment's using motion capture, force plates, and EMG systems. I also use cad software to develop customized parts for power wheel chairs.

4.3