Wilbur-Ellis Company Employee Reviews

Excellent Company, great benefits
Loader/Pilot (Former Employee) –  Huron, SDNovember 14, 2017
Working with Wilbur Ellis has been an overall great experience. The company really cares about its employees. The benefits were fantastic, plenty of room for advancement and opportunities were always rising.
Productive and great place to work for
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 18, 2017
Overall I loved working for the company and the management team. Only left bc my family relocated & it was necessary to move. The work environment was most enjoyable.
Pros
Great management / executive team
Great company!!
Administrative Assistant/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  IndianaAugust 22, 2017
This is a great family owned company! Loved working in the ag field but raising young kids while working crazy hours was too hard. There are tons of learning opportunities too!
Pros
Great company, advancing.
Cons
Hours
Strong Company with decent benefits
Field Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Troy, IDJuly 28, 2017
Working at Wilbur Ellis will require a strong work ethic, and the ability to work hard. It can be flexible, and they're willing to work with you when you need it.
Pros
Flexible, Customer Focus
n/a
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hart, MIMay 24, 2017
I really have nothing nice to say about Wilbur-Ellis. The management is very unfair and partial to certain employees. The workplace culture is very cold and unfriendly. A typical day is very long due to lack of interaction with coworkers and being shoved back in a corner with no windows. I absolutely hate what they have done to me!!
Good place to work.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rosebud, TXApril 17, 2017
This company delivers chemicals and seeds in bulk to farmers, sometimes the work can be demanding and at others slow depending on the weather and the time of the season ( planting season) but you will learn a lot.
Pros
You will learn and experience a lot of different chemicals and seeds.
Cons
The pay could be more competitive.
Great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Blissfield, MIAugust 22, 2016
Great company to work for. One of the few companies that are still family owned, and it shows in their dedication to employees. Like most Ag industries, there will be long days, especially during the spring and summer months, but they always put their employees first.

I find it interesting reading the other reviews on here, because in my opinion, they are not representative. As long as you are responsible and do what is requested, you will not have any issues.

Knowing the situation with the former employee above, you can only screw up so many times before being terminated. Their gross negliance was their downfall, plain and simple.
Pros
Work atmosphere, growth potential.
Cons
Work-life balance
fun
Laborer (Current Employee) –  OregonApril 29, 2016
I believe you don't quit companies but you do quit bosses, supervisors,leads. And I like the company but love working for my bosses.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
to many clicks, not enough teamwork
Very poor management
Commercial Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Blissfield, MIDecember 22, 2015
The branch manager had no idea what it takes to run a commercial spray operation and do a good job doing it. They definitely take care of their friends that they hire. The company talks big but other than the insurance benefits I wouldn't have worked there.
Pros
Great Insurance
Cons
Incopitante management
Company grew fast and didn't seem to care about employees.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Prosser, NEFebruary 26, 2015
Answered phones, worked on A/R, and A/P. Also took care of payroll once a week. I learned their bookkeeping program which was a very advanced system due to the size of the company. Management on a branch level was very poor. They seemed to like to hire their friends and cater to them keeping them on even when they were not able to do the job they were hired for. Co-Workers for the most part were good people.
The hardest part of the job was keeping things done in a timely manner when you weren't given all the information you needed to complete the task.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and working with all the farmers that would stop by.
Pros
Good insurance benefits
Cons
Needs better management
Farm Products and commodities brokering
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 11, 2015
I managed all logistics and sales for by-products feed from a very large local brewery. I also sold feed commodities to local dairy customers. I worked on new product development as well as new territory development.
Pros
compensaition and benefits
Cons
work life balance
Inventory Manager and Office Administration (Former Employee) –  Odessa, WAJanuary 8, 2015
I would recommend anyone to work for this company. They take very good care of you.
Wilbur-Ellis Summary
Administrative Assistant / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmore, MIJune 6, 2014
It is a great place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I am just ready for a new opportunity.
Hard work but had perks.
Field services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Potlatch, IDOctober 29, 2013
Each day had new and different challenges. I could be fixing equipment, transporting hazardous material, swapping trucks/equipment, safety officer work, training, computer work, cleaning, answering phones, etc. The hardest part of the job was 90 hour weeks in peak season. The most enjoyable part of the job driving around the area to different farms and enjoying the beautiful countryside.
Pros
Good benefiits
Cons
Hard manual labor, smelly, extreme overtime
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Merrill, MIOctober 7, 2013
Although I had to leave my employment with Wilbur Ellis I would have to say that they are a great company to work for. They are growing as a company and I expect in the near future they will be gaining market share and becoming one of the leaders in the agricultural field.

I regret that I had to leave my employment with them as quickly as I did, but I learned a great deal in the short time I was with them.

I found that I was able to lead a team of employees, that I selected, to operate a new location and was able to provide our growers with the service that they had been accustomed to receiving. I was able to bring my knowledge that I had gained from previous employment and help establish a new location that was completely functional within just a few short months.
A great company. Room for advancement
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Sparta, MIJanuary 31, 2013
I worked here for almost six seasons. It is an agricultural company and I was only there during growing season. I learned many things about the crops we were helping farmers with. I worked a lot with forklifts, Semi-trailers, Microsoft Excel, Logistics, and professionalism over the phone with other branches.
Productive fun place to work
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJuly 16, 2012
Great place to work. Great learning environment, Management was helpful and good. Balancing multiple time critical tasks was a constant challenge.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
starting at 5am and shift changes, handling multiple time critical tasks
Loved my job!
Purchasing Northwest Division (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2012
Typical day at work was taking orders from the branch offices in the northern division, these orders would be place with vendors and shipped in most cases the same day. Vendor invoices came to me and I matched them to the purchase orders and made sure that pricing etc. was correct then approved the invoices for payment. These were sent to our corporate office in Seattle for processing.

My co-workers were wonderful, only had two, my boss was the VP of Purchasing for Wilbur Ellis Company. He was very fair, very funny and strict.

Doing the newsletter was the hardest part of my position, trying to find something of interest to everyone in agricultural and turf & ornamental industry can be tough.
Pros
401k, healthcare, dental, vision