Wilbur-Ellis Company Employee Reviews

Great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Blissfield, MIAugust 22, 2016
Great company to work for. One of the few companies that are still family owned, and it shows in their dedication to employees. Like most Ag industries, there will be long days, especially during the spring and summer months, but they always put their employees first.

I find it interesting reading the other reviews on here, because in my opinion, they are not representative. As long as you are responsible and do what is requested, you will not have any issues.

Knowing the situation with the former employee above, you can only screw up so many times before being terminated. Their gross negliance was their downfall, plain and simple.
Pros
Work atmosphere, growth potential.
Cons
Work-life balance
Worst place on earth
Former member (Former Employee) –  Leroy, TXMarch 30, 2016
First thing that concerned me was the branch manager he was the absolute worse. Never in the office had no control over anyone at all. Employees just did whatever they wanted showed up and left as they pleased. The other issue is that his nephew worked there. They mainly said they were working in the field but you would find them at a bar drinking instead. Then the warehouse manager decided to hire his little brother. So basically those four ran the show and ran all the good help off. Then the secretary drinks on the job takes more pills than I have ever seen and has a gun in her desk drawer. She also has mental break downs and just leaves and somehow she still has a job because the branch manager is scared of her. Also people that are higher up in the company are aware of these things and never acknowledge the issues. So if this sounds like things you would enjoy hope on board.
Very poor management
Commercial Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Blissfield, MIDecember 22, 2015
The branch manager had no idea what it takes to run a commercial spray operation and do a good job doing it. They definitely take care of their friends that they hire. The company talks big but other than the insurance benefits I wouldn't have worked there.
Pros
Great Insurance
Cons
Incopitante management
Company grew fast and didn't seem to care about employees.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Prosser, NEFebruary 26, 2015
Answered phones, worked on A/R, and A/P. Also took care of payroll once a week. I learned their bookkeeping program which was a very advanced system due to the size of the company. Management on a branch level was very poor. They seemed to like to hire their friends and cater to them keeping them on even when they were not able to do the job they were hired for. Co-Workers for the most part were good people.
The hardest part of the job was keeping things done in a timely manner when you weren't given all the information you needed to complete the task.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and working with all the farmers that would stop by.
Pros
Good insurance benefits
Cons
Needs better management
Hard work but had perks.
Field services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Potlatch, IDOctober 29, 2013
Each day had new and different challenges. I could be fixing equipment, transporting hazardous material, swapping trucks/equipment, safety officer work, training, computer work, cleaning, answering phones, etc. The hardest part of the job was 90 hour weeks in peak season. The most enjoyable part of the job driving around the area to different farms and enjoying the beautiful countryside.
Pros
Good benefiits
Cons
Hard manual labor, smelly, extreme overtime
Loved my job!
Purchasing Northwest Division (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2012
Typical day at work was taking orders from the branch offices in the northern division, these orders would be place with vendors and shipped in most cases the same day. Vendor invoices came to me and I matched them to the purchase orders and made sure that pricing etc. was correct then approved the invoices for payment. These were sent to our corporate office in Seattle for processing.

My co-workers were wonderful, only had two, my boss was the VP of Purchasing for Wilbur Ellis Company. He was very fair, very funny and strict.

Doing the newsletter was the hardest part of my position, trying to find something of interest to everyone in agricultural and turf & ornamental industry can be tough.
Pros
401k, healthcare, dental, vision
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Merrill, MIOctober 7, 2013
Although I had to leave my employment with Wilbur Ellis I would have to say that they are a great company to work for. They are growing as a company and I expect in the near future they will be gaining market share and becoming one of the leaders in the agricultural field.

I regret that I had to leave my employment with them as quickly as I did, but I learned a great deal in the short time I was with them.

I found that I was able to lead a team of employees, that I selected, to operate a new location and was able to provide our growers with the service that they had been accustomed to receiving. I was able to bring my knowledge that I had gained from previous employment and help establish a new location that was completely functional within just a few short months.
A great company. Room for advancement
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Sparta, MIJanuary 31, 2013
I worked here for almost six seasons. It is an agricultural company and I was only there during growing season. I learned many things about the crops we were helping farmers with. I worked a lot with forklifts, Semi-trailers, Microsoft Excel, Logistics, and professionalism over the phone with other branches.
Farm Products and commodities brokering
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 11, 2015
I managed all logistics and sales for by-products feed from a very large local brewery. I also sold feed commodities to local dairy customers. I worked on new product development as well as new territory development.
Pros
compensaition and benefits
Cons
work life balance
Productive fun place to work
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJuly 16, 2012
Great place to work. Great learning environment, Management was helpful and good. Balancing multiple time critical tasks was a constant challenge.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
starting at 5am and shift changes, handling multiple time critical tasks
Wilbur-Ellis Summary
Administrative Assistant / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmore, MIJune 6, 2014
It is a great place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I am just ready for a new opportunity.
Inventory Manager and Office Administration (Former Employee) –  Odessa, WAJanuary 8, 2015
I would recommend anyone to work for this company. They take very good care of you.