Wildlife Conservation Society

Wildlife Conservation Society Employee Reviews

Fun work place, New faces
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
I liked working with the Wildlife Society because you see different face from all different kind of people all over the world. The Central Park Zoo is a tourist spot for many. I just didn't like that the position I had there wasn't any growth, and I just felt I needed and wanted to try something new and towards my career path.
Pros
The benefits where good
Cons
Had to stay in the same position till i retired to enjoy my retirement
The team I worked with felt like a family
Associate Writer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 11, 2016
You won't get paid a lot, but you'll have plenty of time off and great mentors. WCS is also an amazing place to work because it makes you feel like you're working toward the greater good with a group of amazing, intelligent people.
Pros
12 paiod holidays a year (on top of vacation days)
Cons
You won't get paid a lot.
Productive & Interesting
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 19, 2016
On a typical work day I would procure an abundance of product & services. I would average spending $5-10,000 dollars a day. Constantly on the phone doing transactions or follow-ups or negotiating. Managed vendors & worked with staff. I was very busy and had no down time. The hardest part was keeping up with the workload. The most enjoyable part was that I was working at a zoo.
Pros
Always something new to do.
Cons
Very busy
2 days off... work 5 days only
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2016
In my short period working as a Shuttle Driver in the Wildlife Conservation Society dba Bronx Zoo is exciting and enjoyable.

Meeting people from all walks of life either Seniors, Adults, Children or even handicap people with al smiles and excitement.

The problem is that WCS does not employ full time except seasonal jobs. Thereby, as a bread winner in my family, I need to search for a full time permanent job.
Pros
Happy working for Good Management and Supervisor
Cons
Seasonal Jobs available only...
Wonderful Mission and experience
Revenue and Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 28, 2016
Working with WCS was my first long term career, it was very rewarding to know that the work I did helped saved wildlife and wild places.
Pros
Headquartered at the Bronx Zoo
fun workplace
Sales Associate - Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 17, 2016
working at the zoo is a job that requires much patience, however.. seeing the kids come in the store for toys and telling me about the animals that they saw was the best part of my day .
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 11, 2016
Easy going, but also challenging, definitely a place worth working with where employees are valued and given challenging tasks and projects daily.
Pros
Decent hours
Great frist job
Children Zoo Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10460April 21, 2016
Great people and great bosses. I learn how to detail with the public. How to multi-task at the work place. Also learned good team work skills. Stand on my feet for long periods of time, also watching people and animals at the same time.
Pros
good break times
Cons
little pay
Not just a job
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator/Dive Safety (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 25, 2016
How can you think it's work when you are around sea animals all day long. The hardest part of the job was going home. The most enjoyable part of it was diving in the tanks.
Greeter Visitors
Greeter/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 7, 2016
Greeting visitor that comes to the Bronx Zoo on a regular. Make sure they feel welcome and let them know about our specials for the Diner.
Fun place for someone who is just starting work
Site Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 22, 2015
I worked at the Bronx Zoo. I went from Admissions to Site Sales so I kinda did get a promotion just without a pay raise. It's a fun place to work if you like the same hours every single day. Management is very cool, easy to talk too and very outgoing. The pay is just min wage. It's the perfect summer job for teens.
Pros
Meeting different people from all over the world
Cons
Getting hours cut just because they felt like sending half the staff home.
A purpose
Office Manager at the Bronx Zoo (Former Employee) –  Bronx ZooOctober 26, 2015
Working for the Wildlife Conservation Society was a rewarding and challenging position. Each member works as a team and has a sincere desire to make a difference. All employees are engaged with the mission and work to be the best for the Society. Only those who have a high work ethic and enjoys working for the preservation of our planet and all animal should apply. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Work environment the best, flexible shedule
Cons
non-profit, financial rewards few, advancement difficult
It was a very warm and serene experience
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lundazi, Eastern Province, Zambia.October 5, 2015
I enjoyed working there because i felt at home, i had peers to look up to and the organisational skills of my superiors, whether on a work or personal level were admirable. it was like a home away from home. while i was there i harnessed a lot of skills because i was given a task and stuck to it until the best results were achieved.
Pros
Free Transport
Cons
It was in a remote part of my country
Productive and a place to gain experience
Admissions/Guest Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 26, 2015
I love working at the Bronx Zoo. I interact with millions of people from all over the world everyday. The job is fun and exciting! However, duties and collaborating with team members will help you grow as a employee!
Pros
Dicounts, Courtesy tickets, Great team memebers
Cons
Short breaks, hours of additional work in outdoor conditions
Great place to work but has problems within all of the departments.
Rides Operations & Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 22, 2015
The morning consist of the workers cleaning their work area before the zoo opens and making sure we have everything in working order. I have learned how to have great customer service and how to deal with different situations. Management in my department could be better. Most of my coworkers are fun to work with and we get along very well. The hardest part of the job is working with others who don't want to work with you. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet people from all over the world since the Bronx Zoo is the headquarters of the WCS and the largest zoo in North America.
Stress Factor
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Management just made it a bad work environment, the couldn't be truthful with their employees. Mainly the GM and the Assistant GM
Diverse Enviornment
Comissary Driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 14, 2016
Working at the zoo, a typical day would be starting at 6am, gathering things to load up the truck. Afterwards, I would get a task breakdown of what was delivered and where I would have to store those items within the park. Working here, I learned to have patience. Patience was key because I would have to drive through the park when it became open to the public to transport these items to their destination. It was always a high volume of guests which made it challenging to maneuver and get the job done before my shift was complete.

The team that I worked with was always enthused about doing their job and very helpful which made the workload a bit easier however, we also needed to have independency which I enforced half of my time working there. I would say there was no challenges within this job because I have a strong work ethic and there is nothing ever to hard for me. In addition, I collaborate well with others and if I ever needed help I know that I can always reach out to my team members.

The most enjoyable part was being able to take the initiative to interact with guest although my job required me to do a lot of backstage work.
Pros
free lunches and discounts
Cons
no time in a half
Excellent job to gain experience
Purchasing Dept Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 27, 2015
I was taught the ins and out of working in a corporate office. Performed very heavy data entry, placed orders, and a lot of follow up. Managers were very flexible and allowed us to work around our school schedule. My co-workers were great and we all took accountability in the office making the process as smooth as possible.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No room for growth
fun workplace
Merchandise Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 19, 2015
A typicla day at work , restocking and doing inventory. Since that it was first job, I learned how to handle cash properly, inventory and customer service. The management wasn't the best but overall I loved my job.
Assistant to the Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 20, 2016
A day starts with a morning announcement to zoo staff pertaining to openings and closing of different attractions and changes availability of certain team members of different departments. Then comes a day of relaying radio transmissions and directing issues to the appropriate teams, filing of reports and updating spreadsheets. I learned how to really deal with an office space outside of a bank and the more relaxed and far less aggressive space it provides.
Co-workers here, however, aren't too friendly too friendly to new-comers. My predecessor was my main source of information in how to get things done in the fashion with which business is done here usually. The office team is lackadaisical, unopen to new ideas, disorganised, and really without a sense of camaraderie. Management is helpful but again, really unopen to new ideas and change.
Really, the hardest part is getting past my own team in just expediting work that's being done. On the other hand, working with WCS and aiding a great organisation in achieving an admirable goal gives one a great feeling that they're contributing to something bigger.
Pros
You get to see all the animals!
Cons
Not terribly exciting work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wildlife Conservation Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Wildlife Conservation Society Reviews by Location