Wildlife Conservation Society

Wildlife Conservation Society Employer Reviews

Unnessisarily high pressure environmnet
Wild Animal Keeper (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: benefits package, location
Cons: ignorant and proud management that make a hostile work environment
I can only speak of Central Park Zoo, where I spend 6 months as a Wild Animal Keeper. I am an experience reptile keeper who has had the benefit of working and training with some of the best names in the business. Given my background in reptiles, management put me in that section first. When I started they were all very excited about the skill I could bring to the table. As I began to show those skills it became clear that behaving like a trained keeper over stepped my bounds and made my seniors and management very uncomfortable. Actions I made, that have brought me praise in the past, only brought me formal reviews and threats. I was consistently compared to other keepers and seniors. In one review I was told if I wanted to keep my job I needed to be perfect. By the time I left,I had been told that I was to not so much as look at a reptile. I was afraid to make any decisions on my own, for fear of reprimand and loosing my job. Managers have little knowledge and little interest in learning about reptiles specifically, therefore make uninformed and ignorant calls about the collection. There are animals in that collection that are actively ignored by the curator and collections manager because they are not of priority. As a result these animals are stuck with no hope of being sent to a different facility where they could have a ore fulfilling life. This clearly leads to animal care that WCS and AZA should be ashamed of. It was a weight off of my shoulders when they told me they decided to terminate after my probationary period, because I know I would have tried to stick it out there for too long. The keeper staff is made up of good people, but they are all being held back from their full potential.
Long days in the sun
Greeter (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2015
This job is great if you have nothing better to do in the summer time and you don't mind the long hours in the sun on your feet. I like animals but I hardly got to interact or see them
Seasonal Employment
Restaurant Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: seasonal employment
Loved the fact that I interacted with and met new people everyday. My co-workers were awesome, great attitudes overall. The hardest part was working in the hot hot sun in the summer time. The most enjoyable part was being able to enjoy the New York Aquarium for free.
Fun and busy workplace
Park Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 24, 2014
Pros: location, friendly atmosphere, ease in learning
Cons: seasonal
The job was productive, the people were friendly however; I would have liked to have secured the position full time
great job
Driver/Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 11, 2014
the bronx zoo was a fun place to work at. my supervisor was fair and understanding. i worked with a great bunch of people. i made pick ups and deliveries of food and other items to restaurants and food carts throughout the zoo.
coworkers make the job worthwhile and supervisors super sweet
Parking Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 28, 2014
the job was fun filled all the time just work hard and do what you have to do and there are no problems
great place
Children's Zoo Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 12, 2014
It was a really good place to work. I learned as I worked which is what I like. The other seasonal workers and the keepers were great to work with. So were the supervisors, it was like one big family.
Productive place to work
Group Sales Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 9, 2014
• Understand the importance of maintaining excellent customer satisfaction. Customer service strength’s include communication, outreach and customer resolutions.
• Organizational: well organized with the ability to multi-task in a fast pace environment;
• Proficient in Galaxy order entry and ticketing, payment processing, multi-line telephone systems and office administrative filing. Microsoft word and Excel.
The Wildlife Conservation Society has the friendliest staff I've ever worked with
Seasonal Event Greeter (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2014
The staff were always positive and supportive. Part of it comes from the work that WCS does around to improve our connection to our environments. My immediate manager was so helpful and supportive of my job search after my seasonal employment.
Great learning opportunity for customer service.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 4, 2014
A typical work day included interacting with guests constantly. There is little room for boredom because there is always someone you can help find an item, or find their way through the exhibits.
I learned that sometimes just a smile and a good attitude can brighten someone's day.
Management was diligent in pointing out areas for improvement.
Co-workers were amazing to work with.
The hardest part of the job was staying on your feet for the entire day.
The most enjoyable part was having fun with the customers while demonstrating products.
not a bad job to start with
Admissions Supervisor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 7, 2014
a great stepping stone for teenagers or kids in general to start at
WCS
Education (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 19, 2014
Pros: creating wildlife enrichment and supporting the keepers
Cons: not enough off-season activities
Review requirements for the days' activities; assigning duties to team followed by a briefing and special announcements.
Communicate with staff from other departments concerning special events or tours. Verifying cart availability for guest transport.
Sending team on their appointent rounds by 10am.
Public speaking is required and you learn to tailor your talks and tours to a different audience based on the toopic and age of the group.
Co-workiers have specific areas where they prefer to work so an attempt to accommodate them can be a challenge if we need coverage in other areas.
Making sure everyone is in compliance of park protocol.
The most rewarding aspect of working at the WCS is knowing you made a positive difference in the visitor experience. Also, providing the wildlife staff with the support they need, whether it is bringing attention to WCS concervation efforts or providing assistance in monitoring and reporting wildlife response to enrichment stimuli.
Fast pace inviornment.
Prep/Catering Supervisor/Event Planner (Former Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: lack of communication by management.
Team player staff. Overwhelming customer service. Need to acknowledge all he needs of customers.
Productive and fun with a lot of animals
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: free lunch & tickets to visit the places with family.
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work for me was in enjoyable. I've learn a lot about animals, food, and much more. My coworkers was energetic nice an polite. i dont think there was any thing hard about the job. the part of the job i enjoyed the most was meeting new people making customers happy and having fun while doing those things.
Hard work and interesting
Office Intern (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: great experience
All zoo and aquarium employees have the opportunity to educate the public about the critical need for the conservation of wildlife and wild lands. This responsibility assures an interesting and rewarding career, but the profession requires more than a commitment to conservation - it requires hard work.
fun work place
Trouble-shoot employee (Current Employee), bronx nyJanuary 4, 2014
a typical day at work can be very busy sometimes or sometimes slow. location was bronx zoo
Monorail
Monorail Mechanic (Former Employee), Bronx New YorkDecember 24, 2013
Pros: free zoo access
Cons: no compensation for comparable work.
Maintained monorail system at the Bronx Zoo, also performed electrical maintenance on various systems. Poor pay,because this was seasonal work.
Fun place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 8, 2013
Pros: free admission to zoos and rides, discounts on food and merchandise
Process wire transfers, prepare checks, database input, process invoices for payment, answer calls, file, copy.

Learned many assignments in different departments.

Management was great.

I enjoyed the daily interaction with my co-workers.

Hardest part of the job was ending of fiscal year with overflow of work,

I mostly enjoyed the day to day interaction with clients, employees and co-workers.
fantastic environment. we're saving wildlife!
Executive Assistant Finance and Administration (Current Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 2, 2013
Pros: you work at the zoo....it's beautiful
Cons: long hours, lunch at your desk, little advancement if you're an admin
I thoroughly enjoy working at WCS, I do however have a different career path in mind. While I love the bottom line, administrative work is no longer my passion. Education is. I want to make a difference and my current position does not allow me to do so. therefore, I have to move on.
Fun, Very Productive
Admission&Guest Relations (Former Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 26, 2013
Helping Guest, Entertaining kids very Productive each day. Selling tickets and giving Guest the best experience they can have during their visit.

1 2 3