Wildlife Conservation Society Employee Reviews

Difficult Environment
Withheld (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 6, 2017
WCS is a compelling place to work because of the location and the mission, but the office politics ruin it over time. All levels of the organization have big egos and personalities which control what can happen. Pay is below average even for such a large nonprofit. There is little encouragement and lots of stress. All advancements come at the expense of hardworking employees. Only join this organization if you're up for a challenge and land in the right team with some protection from the drama.
Pros
Great work environment, unique mission
Cons
Office politics, low pay, poor insurance plans, egos, stressful workplace
Does great work
Graduate Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2017
People working there care deeply about the animals they advocate for and work in the zoo! They have a great attitude and are on the front lines of protecting the world
good team works
cook, Restaurant (Former Employee) –  bronx New YorkJuly 22, 2017
is a good place to work you make good friends and hot to now a lot of people from different culture . and you don't really got the change to know about this place cause you always busy working.
Fun and enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 18, 2017
I loved working at the Bronx zoo due to its fun atmosphere and friendly staff. The managers worked well with their employees and always motivated us to make sales
easy to learn and well balanced work place
Admissions, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2017
employees are very kind, friendly and inviting with each other, so are some managers. overall a good experience, and would recommend to others. this is a very good starter job for students, looking to get cashier experience.
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 12, 2017
I had to work with customers on purchasing tickets and upsale. Explaining information and joining them on tours for present and future visits. Also work at ticket taking at attractions
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work environment, job itself
Good starting job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Central Park, NYJune 7, 2017
A very enjoyable job and very easy to do. Requires patience but it is very rewarding to see people happy. Learned point of sales systems, developed communication skills.
Very busy
Admission Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 1, 2017
Collected or sold tickets after receiving morning duties. Most days it was hot but the supervisors were very considerate an gave us a break whenever we needed it.
Lovedddddddd ittttttt
GUEST RELATIONS/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 1, 2017
my favorite job EVER so much fun energy to be around yet professional.. the setting was perfect the management was AMAZING.. Great team building skills always kept each other on our toes.. never a dull moment working at the zoo & the cherry on top is that i get to be around 2 things i love... Children & animals
Great place for animal lovers!
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 26, 2017
WCS has a great work environment. Many of the employees are there longtime which gives the work environment a very unique friendly atmosphere. Lunchtime is great to get out and walk the park to visit all the animals.
Pros
Free entrance to the Zoo
Cons
crowded during summer months
Productive, fun and lots of learning
Global Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2017
I loved working with the staff, learning about the different conservation and educational programs and seeing different animals during different seasonal periods.
Pros
Non-profit organization
Cons
Long commute, location
A nice and laid back work environment
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 29, 2017
from my own experience, everything goes at a smooth pace and the people are over all nice. Every job has its moments but it is a pleasure to work here.
Pros
discounts at the dinner located inside the park
Cons
depending on the job, a lot of walking
it was a cool place to work at
Parking Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 18, 2017
It was never nothing hard to do. I liked the people I was working with. management was ok, never had a problem with them. The best part of my job was able 2 see the animals.
Had a great time.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 1, 2017
Working at the Bronx Zoo taught me how to open up to people more. It was always such a fun day working at the zoo. I got to really see the Bronx zoo for the beauty it is. The amazing animals and the wonderful people that work together to keep the zoo as one family. I had an amazing experience.
Animals are great.
Wild Animal Keeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2017
Working with the animals was great but there is limited room for advancement and the morale is not as high as it should be.
Horrible work place
Admissions and Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 15, 2017
You never know what location of the zoo you are going to be at. every day its a different locations so you dont know if your going to be standing all day in the sun or siting down inside with the AC.
Pros
free admission
Cons
very little pay
Fun and enriching experience
Zoo Quest (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 29, 2016
A typical day would start with the cleaning of the equipment and making sure there was enough supplies for the day. Next there was meeting to go over anything unique for the day. The day would consist of me being posted at various stations around the zoo providing education for the public and guidance for the teen volunteers on quest topics.
At the end of the day there would be cleanup and then a wrap-up meeting to discuss if anything of note came up during the day.

Provided learning experience as teaching techniques improved from day to day.

Excellent co-workers.

Hardest part of the job was balancing education for a very wrong crowd and an older crowd, trying to make the information enriching for both.

The most enjoyable was the many interactions with guests who understood things and had very fun questions.
Pros
Fun environment and helpful attitudes.
Cons
As a commission style job there is very little job advancement opportunities.
safe and fun workplace
Restaurant Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 10, 2016
Wonderful place to work also a safe and fun enviroment one favortie things abour working here was meeting greeting the custmos and all the fun event we had and share at thr bronx zoo it really a loving caring place
Pros
free lunch, bronx zoo tickets, discounts
Cons
short breaks standing long period time
Weather makes it difficult
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 29, 2016
Driving the shuttle during the summer with no a/c or fan in the tractor was torture. Sometimes the shuttle service would shut down and we were sent home with short work hours.
Fun work place, New faces
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
I liked working with the Wildlife Society because you see different face from all different kind of people all over the world. The Central Park Zoo is a tourist spot for many. I just didn't like that the position I had there wasn't any growth, and I just felt I needed and wanted to try something new and towards my career path.
Pros
The benefits where good
Cons
Had to stay in the same position till i retired to enjoy my retirement