Wildlife Conservation Society Employee Reviews

Productive, fun and lots of learning
Global Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2017
I loved working with the staff, learning about the different conservation and educational programs and seeing different animals during different seasonal periods.
Pros
Non-profit organization
Cons
Long commute, location
A nice and laid back work environment
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 29, 2017
from my own experience, everything goes at a smooth pace and the people are over all nice. Every job has its moments but it is a pleasure to work here.
Pros
discounts at the dinner located inside the park
Cons
depending on the job, a lot of walking
it was a cool place to work at
Parking Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 18, 2017
It was never nothing hard to do. I liked the people I was working with. management was ok, never had a problem with them. The best part of my job was able 2 see the animals.
Had a great time.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 1, 2017
Working at the Bronx Zoo taught me how to open up to people more. It was always such a fun day working at the zoo. I got to really see the Bronx zoo for the beauty it is. The amazing animals and the wonderful people that work together to keep the zoo as one family. I had an amazing experience.
Animals are great.
Wild Animal Keeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2017
Working with the animals was great but there is limited room for advancement and the morale is not as high as it should be.
Horrible work place
Admissions and Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 15, 2017
You never know what location of the zoo you are going to be at. every day its a different locations so you dont know if your going to be standing all day in the sun or siting down inside with the AC.
Pros
free admission
Cons
very little pay
Fun and enriching experience
Zoo Quest (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 29, 2016
A typical day would start with the cleaning of the equipment and making sure there was enough supplies for the day. Next there was meeting to go over anything unique for the day. The day would consist of me being posted at various stations around the zoo providing education for the public and guidance for the teen volunteers on quest topics.
At the end of the day there would be cleanup and then a wrap-up meeting to discuss if anything of note came up during the day.

Provided learning experience as teaching techniques improved from day to day.

Excellent co-workers.

Hardest part of the job was balancing education for a very wrong crowd and an older crowd, trying to make the information enriching for both.

The most enjoyable was the many interactions with guests who understood things and had very fun questions.
Pros
Fun environment and helpful attitudes.
Cons
As a commission style job there is very little job advancement opportunities.
safe and fun workplace
Restaurant Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 10, 2016
Wonderful place to work also a safe and fun enviroment one favortie things abour working here was meeting greeting the custmos and all the fun event we had and share at thr bronx zoo it really a loving caring place
Pros
free lunch, bronx zoo tickets, discounts
Cons
short breaks standing long period time
Weather makes it difficult
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 29, 2016
Driving the shuttle during the summer with no a/c or fan in the tractor was torture. Sometimes the shuttle service would shut down and we were sent home with short work hours.
Fun work place, New faces
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
I liked working with the Wildlife Society because you see different face from all different kind of people all over the world. The Central Park Zoo is a tourist spot for many. I just didn't like that the position I had there wasn't any growth, and I just felt I needed and wanted to try something new and towards my career path.
Pros
The benefits where good
Cons
Had to stay in the same position till i retired to enjoy my retirement
The team I worked with felt like a family
Associate Writer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 11, 2016
You won't get paid a lot, but you'll have plenty of time off and great mentors. WCS is also an amazing place to work because it makes you feel like you're working toward the greater good with a group of amazing, intelligent people.
Pros
12 paiod holidays a year (on top of vacation days)
Cons
You won't get paid a lot.
Wonderful Mission and experience
Revenue and Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 28, 2016
Working with WCS was my first long term career, it was very rewarding to know that the work I did helped saved wildlife and wild places.
Pros
Headquartered at the Bronx Zoo
Productive & Interesting
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 19, 2016
On a typical work day I would procure an abundance of product & services. I would average spending $5-10,000 dollars a day. Constantly on the phone doing transactions or follow-ups or negotiating. Managed vendors & worked with staff. I was very busy and had no down time. The hardest part was keeping up with the workload. The most enjoyable part was that I was working at a zoo.
Pros
Always something new to do.
Cons
Very busy
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 11, 2016
Easy going, but also challenging, definitely a place worth working with where employees are valued and given challenging tasks and projects daily.
Pros
Decent hours
fun workplace
Sales Associate - Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 17, 2016
working at the zoo is a job that requires much patience, however.. seeing the kids come in the store for toys and telling me about the animals that they saw was the best part of my day .
2 days off... work 5 days only
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2016
In my short period working as a Shuttle Driver in the Wildlife Conservation Society dba Bronx Zoo is exciting and enjoyable.

Meeting people from all walks of life either Seniors, Adults, Children or even handicap people with al smiles and excitement.

The problem is that WCS does not employ full time except seasonal jobs. Thereby, as a bread winner in my family, I need to search for a full time permanent job.
Pros
Happy working for Good Management and Supervisor
Cons
Seasonal Jobs available only...
Not just a job
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator/Dive Safety (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 25, 2016
How can you think it's work when you are around sea animals all day long. The hardest part of the job was going home. The most enjoyable part of it was diving in the tanks.
Great frist job
Children Zoo Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10460April 21, 2016
Great people and great bosses. I learn how to detail with the public. How to multi-task at the work place. Also learned good team work skills. Stand on my feet for long periods of time, also watching people and animals at the same time.
Pros
good break times
Cons
little pay
Greeter Visitors
Greeter/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 7, 2016
Greeting visitor that comes to the Bronx Zoo on a regular. Make sure they feel welcome and let them know about our specials for the Diner.
Diverse Enviornment
Comissary Driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 14, 2016
Working at the zoo, a typical day would be starting at 6am, gathering things to load up the truck. Afterwards, I would get a task breakdown of what was delivered and where I would have to store those items within the park. Working here, I learned to have patience. Patience was key because I would have to drive through the park when it became open to the public to transport these items to their destination. It was always a high volume of guests which made it challenging to maneuver and get the job done before my shift was complete.

The team that I worked with was always enthused about doing their job and very helpful which made the workload a bit easier however, we also needed to have independency which I enforced half of my time working there. I would say there was no challenges within this job because I have a strong work ethic and there is nothing ever to hard for me. In addition, I collaborate well with others and if I ever needed help I know that I can always reach out to my team members.

The most enjoyable part was being able to take the initiative to interact with guest although my job required me to do a lot of backstage work.
Pros
free lunches and discounts
Cons
no time in a half

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wildlife Conservation Society. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval