Wildlife Conservation Society Employee Reviews in United States

2 days off... work 5 days only
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2016
In my short period working as a Shuttle Driver in the Wildlife Conservation Society dba Bronx Zoo is exciting and enjoyable.

Meeting people from all walks of life either Seniors, Adults, Children or even handicap people with al smiles and excitement.

The problem is that WCS does not employ full time except seasonal jobs. Thereby, as a bread winner in my family, I need to search for a full time permanent job.
Pros
Happy working for Good Management and Supervisor
Cons
Seasonal Jobs available only...
Not just a job
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator/Dive Safety (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 25, 2016
How can you think it's work when you are around sea animals all day long. The hardest part of the job was going home. The most enjoyable part of it was diving in the tanks.
Great frist job
Children Zoo Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10460April 21, 2016
Great people and great bosses. I learn how to detail with the public. How to multi-task at the work place. Also learned good team work skills. Stand on my feet for long periods of time, also watching people and animals at the same time.
Pros
good break times
Cons
little pay
Greeter Visitors
Greeter/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 7, 2016
Greeting visitor that comes to the Bronx Zoo on a regular. Make sure they feel welcome and let them know about our specials for the Diner.
Diverse Enviornment
Comissary Driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 14, 2016
Working at the zoo, a typical day would be starting at 6am, gathering things to load up the truck. Afterwards, I would get a task breakdown of what was delivered and where I would have to store those items within the park. Working here, I learned to have patience. Patience was key because I would have to drive through the park when it became open to the public to transport these items to their destination. It was always a high volume of guests which made it challenging to maneuver and get the job done before my shift was complete.

The team that I worked with was always enthused about doing their job and very helpful which made the workload a bit easier however, we also needed to have independency which I enforced half of my time working there. I would say there was no challenges within this job because I have a strong work ethic and there is nothing ever to hard for me. In addition, I collaborate well with others and if I ever needed help I know that I can always reach out to my team members.

The most enjoyable part was being able to take the initiative to interact with guest although my job required me to do a lot of backstage work.
Pros
free lunches and discounts
Cons
no time in a half
Stress Factor
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Management just made it a bad work environment, the couldn't be truthful with their employees. Mainly the GM and the Assistant GM
Assistant to the Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 20, 2016
A day starts with a morning announcement to zoo staff pertaining to openings and closing of different attractions and changes availability of certain team members of different departments. Then comes a day of relaying radio transmissions and directing issues to the appropriate teams, filing of reports and updating spreadsheets. I learned how to really deal with an office space outside of a bank and the more relaxed and far less aggressive space it provides.
Co-workers here, however, aren't too friendly too friendly to new-comers. My predecessor was my main source of information in how to get things done in the fashion with which business is done here usually. The office team is lackadaisical, unopen to new ideas, disorganised, and really without a sense of camaraderie. Management is helpful but again, really unopen to new ideas and change.
Really, the hardest part is getting past my own team in just expediting work that's being done. On the other hand, working with WCS and aiding a great organisation in achieving an admirable goal gives one a great feeling that they're contributing to something bigger.
Pros
You get to see all the animals!
Cons
Not terribly exciting work.
Fun place for someone who is just starting work
Site Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 22, 2015
I worked at the Bronx Zoo. I went from Admissions to Site Sales so I kinda did get a promotion just without a pay raise. It's a fun place to work if you like the same hours every single day. Management is very cool, easy to talk too and very outgoing. The pay is just min wage. It's the perfect summer job for teens.
Pros
Meeting different people from all over the world
Cons
Getting hours cut just because they felt like sending half the staff home.
A purpose
Office Manager at the Bronx Zoo (Former Employee) –  Bronx ZooOctober 26, 2015
Working for the Wildlife Conservation Society was a rewarding and challenging position. Each member works as a team and has a sincere desire to make a difference. All employees are engaged with the mission and work to be the best for the Society. Only those who have a high work ethic and enjoys working for the preservation of our planet and all animal should apply. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Work environment the best, flexible shedule
Cons
non-profit, financial rewards few, advancement difficult
fun workplace
Merchandise Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 19, 2015
A typicla day at work , restocking and doing inventory. Since that it was first job, I learned how to handle cash properly, inventory and customer service. The management wasn't the best but overall I loved my job.
It was a very warm and serene experience
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lundazi, Eastern Province, Zambia.October 5, 2015
I enjoyed working there because i felt at home, i had peers to look up to and the organisational skills of my superiors, whether on a work or personal level were admirable. it was like a home away from home. while i was there i harnessed a lot of skills because i was given a task and stuck to it until the best results were achieved.
Pros
Free Transport
Cons
It was in a remote part of my country
Best job I ever has
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 4, 2015
Loved the zoo. I learned a lot. Educational and fun place to work. Loved management and my co-workers. I still keep in touch with them. Wish I could go back.
Pros
free tickets to give to family members
Cons
no cons at all
Fun and energetic atmosphere to work in.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 29, 2015
The W.C.S. is a great place to work if u enjoy meeting new people, serving guest, creating memories, and leaving smiles on faces.
Productive and a place to gain experience
Admissions/Guest Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 26, 2015
I love working at the Bronx Zoo. I interact with millions of people from all over the world everyday. The job is fun and exciting! However, duties and collaborating with team members will help you grow as a employee!
Pros
Dicounts, Courtesy tickets, Great team memebers
Cons
Short breaks, hours of additional work in outdoor conditions
N/a
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 22, 2015
This is a good company to work for, the employer makes sure all employees are taken care of. The work environment can get hectic during the summer but the best times are in the fall and winter.
I enjoyed it
Tour guide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 27, 2015
It was long way from home, I worked in the Bronx and live in Brooklyn. But that long way from home the job was good I got to talk to people and entertainment for the people.
Pros
Talking to people, the coworkers
Cons
It was an outside job and summer was hot and rainy
Okay first job
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 23, 2015
Go in, have ,lunch at 10am. Customer service is important, management did their best to make it comfortable. Coworkers were nice. Hardest part was having lunch at 10am. Enjoyable, i would say lots of freebies.
Great place to work but has problems within all of the departments.
Rides Operations & Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 22, 2015
The morning consist of the workers cleaning their work area before the zoo opens and making sure we have everything in working order. I have learned how to have great customer service and how to deal with different situations. Management in my department could be better. Most of my coworkers are fun to work with and we get along very well. The hardest part of the job is working with others who don't want to work with you. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet people from all over the world since the Bronx Zoo is the headquarters of the WCS and the largest zoo in North America.
Old School Non Profit, Resistant to Change
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2015
WCS is an organization that has a long history and is deeply connected with the NYC Parks Department. Central operations (HR, Payroll, Payables, etc.) are run from the Bronx Zoo offices. This review is from my time working at the Central Park Zoo office, but all the city zoos are basically run the same, with Central Park and Bronx Zoo offices being used for meetings.

The work environment and most coworkers are pleasant, but there is a group at the Bronx Zoo that is resistant to using more efficient technology for scheduling, etc. WCS are just getting onboard with SAP and still submit paper timesheets to payroll! The offices are antiquated, with sections renovated here and there. There is a silo effect in that each city zoo, including the NY Aquarium, is an outpost of its own, with no team-building efforts to bring a sense of unity between the workers in different offices, who can get at odds with each other.

The hardest part of the job was the difficulty faced to implement technology practices that are commonplace in the private sector. Most are long-time workers that have been there 10 years or more and they are resistant to change.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to visit the zoo animals every day at lunchtime!
Pros
Great if you like to visit the zoo
Cons
Feeling disconnected between offices and resistance to more effective use of technology
Excellent job to gain experience
Purchasing Dept Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 27, 2015
I was taught the ins and out of working in a corporate office. Performed very heavy data entry, placed orders, and a lot of follow up. Managers were very flexible and allowed us to work around our school schedule. My co-workers were great and we all took accountability in the office making the process as smooth as possible.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No room for growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wildlife Conservation Society. Our community is ready to answer.