WILEY Employee Reviews in United States

Friendly Community feel
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJApril 30, 2016
The orders would come out in "waves". Me and my fellow material material handlers would each pick part of each wave, help others if needed. Over the years I learned more efficient ways of doing things. We had great managers there who would let us handle the details and just worry about the big picture. Great coworkers, even though the job ended I made a lot of lifelong friends. The only hard part for me, was back when we were real busy and the orders were huge, was getting a reach truck to pull down whole pallets. WE had three trucks and a dozen material handlers. Sometimes I would would have to pick the pallet one carton at a time, but this was rare. The most rewarding part of the job was leaving every day knowing everything was done. For me your job is part of your identity
Pros
picnics, parties, benefits
Cons
technology replaced the need for the work
Great Work Environment and Coworkers - but downsizing to minimal personnell
Acquisitions Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 28, 2016
I loved working there and I learn a lot of incredibly important and useful skills, but there was no room for advancement and management is cutting down department sizes left and right. Out of the other 30 desks around me, only 6 had people at them.
Pros
Lunch and learns, great work flexibility, health-conscious, amazing boss and teams
Cons
No room for advancement unless someone leaves, lots and lots of downsizing, and many editors having to become "sales people" rather than just doing their jobs
Committed Company
Exhibits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAApril 11, 2016
Wiley helps promote it's mission of Education. Within my position I help execute our presence at Exhibits across the country promoting our books, journals and services.
Enjoyable workplace
Clerk-1 (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJMarch 8, 2016
Learned my office skills and management gave me that opportunity. Communicating with customers,dispatchers and forwarders. Work good with everyone.
Pros
Paid time off. Holidays. Activities and Events.
Great Culture; Plenty of Opportunities
Group Media Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 23, 2016
Great place to work.Good culture and fun people. Plenty of opportunities across the many, many offices. Management is great and truly has an open door policy. Our division is pretty flat and we all like to work hard, together.
Pros
Good pay, lots of opportunities
Cons
Can be siloed.
Great First Job
Exhibits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 29, 2015
Hoboken is a great area to work in. Great atmosphere at Wiley- everyone is very hardworking and easy to get along with. Learned how to manage multiple projects at once.
Wiley, LTD
Advertising and Promotions Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 24, 2015
Wiley was primarily a great place to work due to its creative business culture, personable co-workers, and growing employment opportunities. Design and branding standards were taken to a higher level to produce quality work for publications.
Pros
Near Washington Ave strip of restaurants and major transportation.
Cons
Work from home capabilities and software could have been more universal.
FUN Work Place
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJNovember 14, 2015
The best Job I have had out my career. The young and driven leaders supported the staff by offering classes to excel in your career. The health advice and gym offers to the employees help motivated the staff and most enjoyable part of the job was the cafe.
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
Lay Offs
An evolving company
Project Manger (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJOctober 29, 2015
Wiley is a 200 year old company constantly adapting to a changing publishing landscape. The evolution into a knowledge services provider has been facilitated by recent acquisition in the knowledge and learning space. It is at an exciting transformative point in its life.
the hardest part of the job
Sr.Performance Tester (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2015
Getting out of bed in the morning.

Other than that, expectations and unrealistic objectives. I am slightly annoyed with work at the moment as they just delayed our pay rise by 4 months to achieve their profit objectives. Sure, they need the money more than me.
good place to work but publishing industry is changing rapidly
accounts receivable representative (Former Employee) –  indianapolis, indianaSeptember 15, 2015
Enjoyed working there. Competitive benefit packages and lots of paid-time off. Not much room for advancement. 35 hour work week but still full time.
work in fear every day
Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJSeptember 1, 2015
Great work/life balance, but it's all about office politics there. They went on a firing spree in 2013 & 2014 & gave all those positions to offshore vendors. Very negative, dismal atmosphere. You feared losing your job every day.
Pros
work/life balance; vacation
Cons
everything else
Good Company
Marketing Person (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJune 17, 2015
I good company that has an international presence and is growing. I encourage you to seek employment. Working hard to improve this company.
Benefits
Cons
Too big
Each client received 100% accuracy.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLJune 15, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting deadlines, being a part of each client's business and seeing the business grow.
Pros
Completing jobs.
Cons
Working too many hours.
It was okay
Mail & Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2015
Filing, sorting mail, making copies, distributing mail throughout the company. Answering phones setting up conference rooms.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Odd hours
Productive and fun workplace. Great people.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 13, 2015
Busy, fast paced, productive and fun.
Many Wiley systems. And a great deal about book publicity.
Efficient.
People were smart, worked hard and enjoyed coming to work. Juggling 25 different personalities (but enjoyed doing it)
Interesting work loved dealing with many of the authors and their book tours. Meeting creative people.
Pros
Great hours and working conditions
Cons
Office politics
Great people, shifting culture, unclear future
Journals Editorial (Current Employee) –  MAApril 6, 2015
I should start by saying the vast majority of employees across Wiley are competent, collegial, and driven. There's so much knowledge among the offices, but a lot of it's being driven away by constant shifts in focus and a general loss of culture.

Wiley's in the past called itself "the place to be," but it's not even clear what that means these days, with massive layoffs/cost efficiencies, and shifts back and forth between publisher, digital services provider, technology wannabe...lather, rinse, repeat.

To their credit, senior leadership is becoming much more vocal and clear, but I'm not sure how the majority of those leaders can be in place through restructure after restructure. Are these folks really the best equipped to lead us into the future?

Now, all that said, work/life balance is excellent. Pay is probably about what you'd expect. Organic advancement can be slow, although if you're willing to hustle and create opportunities, they're usually there.
Pros
Great work/life balance, good mid-management, friendly people
Cons
Unclear future, lots of layoffs, shifting culture
Management Confusion
Senior Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAMarch 30, 2015
Compensation is good. Great colleagues. Management staff seems to change seasonally and they're struggling to find their niche in the current market. No clear path to advancement. There is flexibility around hours and working from home which makes the work/life balance good. The tough part is the constant changing of direction of the company and the push to cut costs and time on every project. Where once quality of product was important, now fast and cheap win out. Much less job satisfaction.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management confusion
Traditional industry meeting transformational challenges
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 10, 2015
The company recently decided to move into a digital first future and the series of transformational reorganizations has been profound. Core value of fiscal responsibility remains strong and underpins new emphasis on new revenue-driven strategies that guarantee immediate results. An excellent opportunity for younger executives looking to establish their first milestones.
The place to be
Senior Production Assitant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 10, 2015
The typical day at work was very busy. I learned how to multi-task.
Management was patient.
Co-workers were like family.
When co-workers left the job.
Spending time with co-workers at lunch time
Pros
free lunches
Cons
too many meetings