Wiley Employee Reviews in United States

Great Work Environment and Coworkers - but downsizing to minimal personnell
Acquisitions Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 28, 2016
I loved working there and I learn a lot of incredibly important and useful skills, but there was no room for advancement and management is cutting down department sizes left and right. Out of the other 30 desks around me, only 6 had people at them.
Pros
Lunch and learns, great work flexibility, health-conscious, amazing boss and teams
Cons
No room for advancement unless someone leaves, lots and lots of downsizing, and many editors having to become "sales people" rather than just doing their jobs
Friendly Community feel
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJApril 30, 2016
The orders would come out in "waves". Me and my fellow material material handlers would each pick part of each wave, help others if needed. Over the years I learned more efficient ways of doing things. We had great managers there who would let us handle the details and just worry about the big picture. Great coworkers, even though the job ended I made a lot of lifelong friends. The only hard part for me, was back when we were real busy and the orders were huge, was getting a reach truck to pull down whole pallets. WE had three trucks and a dozen material handlers. Sometimes I would would have to pick the pallet one carton at a time, but this was rare. The most rewarding part of the job was leaving every day knowing everything was done. For me your job is part of your identity
Pros
picnics, parties, benefits
Cons
technology replaced the need for the work
Great Culture; Plenty of Opportunities
Group Media Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 23, 2016
Great place to work.Good culture and fun people. Plenty of opportunities across the many, many offices. Management is great and truly has an open door policy. Our division is pretty flat and we all like to work hard, together.
Pros
Good pay, lots of opportunities
Cons
Can be siloed.
Wiley, LTD
Advertising and Promotions Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 24, 2015
Wiley was primarily a great place to work due to its creative business culture, personable co-workers, and growing employment opportunities. Design and branding standards were taken to a higher level to produce quality work for publications.
Pros
Near Washington Ave strip of restaurants and major transportation.
Cons
Work from home capabilities and software could have been more universal.
ETL Informatica Developer (Current Employee) –  Hoboken-New JerseyJuly 21, 2016
I Lent new technology, \
support management, co-worker are with understanding,
enjoyed each and every work day in wally.
there is no typical in working
Committed Company
Exhibits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAApril 11, 2016
Wiley helps promote it's mission of Education. Within my position I help execute our presence at Exhibits across the country promoting our books, journals and services.
Nice colleagues, minimal opportunity to advance, constant restructuring in struggling industry
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 28, 2015
Wiley used to have the reputation as a great place to work. Over the past three to four years, that has changed. It has been constantly struggling to adapt to stay afloat in a changing industry, and has struggled to redefine itself and the shape of its structure. The almost annual restructuring has resulted in many colleagues being laid off, and the remaining ones working in a climate of uncertainty. Morale has struggled, though corporate has recently started to make some efforts to boost company culture. Promotions are difficult to come by, as are raises. Colleagues, however, are mostly all intelligent, kind, hard-working people and a pleasure to be around every day.
Pros
nice colleagues, 35 hr workweek, generous PTO, good benefits
Cons
little opportunity to advance, constant restructuring and layoffs, low employee morale
Enjoyable workplace
Clerk-1 (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJMarch 8, 2016
Learned my office skills and management gave me that opportunity. Communicating with customers,dispatchers and forwarders. Work good with everyone.
Pros
Paid time off. Holidays. Activities and Events.
FUN Work Place
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJNovember 14, 2015
The best Job I have had out my career. The young and driven leaders supported the staff by offering classes to excel in your career. The health advice and gym offers to the employees help motivated the staff and most enjoyable part of the job was the cafe.
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
Lay Offs
An evolving company
Project Manger (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJOctober 29, 2015
Wiley is a 200 year old company constantly adapting to a changing publishing landscape. The evolution into a knowledge services provider has been facilitated by recent acquisition in the knowledge and learning space. It is at an exciting transformative point in its life.
Great First Job
Exhibits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 29, 2015
Hoboken is a great area to work in. Great atmosphere at Wiley- everyone is very hardworking and easy to get along with. Learned how to manage multiple projects at once.
the hardest part of the job
Sr.Performance Tester (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2015
Getting out of bed in the morning.

Other than that, expectations and unrealistic objectives. I am slightly annoyed with work at the moment as they just delayed our pay rise by 4 months to achieve their profit objectives. Sure, they need the money more than me.
work in fear every day
Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJSeptember 1, 2015
Great work/life balance, but it's all about office politics there. They went on a firing spree in 2013 & 2014 & gave all those positions to offshore vendors. Very negative, dismal atmosphere. You feared losing your job every day.
Pros
work/life balance; vacation
Cons
everything else
good place to work but publishing industry is changing rapidly
accounts receivable representative (Former Employee) –  indianapolis, indianaSeptember 15, 2015
Enjoyed working there. Competitive benefit packages and lots of paid-time off. Not much room for advancement. 35 hour work week but still full time.
Productive and fun workplace. Great people.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 13, 2015
Busy, fast paced, productive and fun.
Many Wiley systems. And a great deal about book publicity.
Efficient.
People were smart, worked hard and enjoyed coming to work. Juggling 25 different personalities (but enjoyed doing it)
Interesting work loved dealing with many of the authors and their book tours. Meeting creative people.
Pros
Great hours and working conditions
Cons
Office politics
Great company but changing
Senior Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJune 24, 2015
Wiley is a great company to work for, but the marketplace has changed tremendously. The leadership is in flux, and they are cutting back on resources/merging different divisions of the company.
Pros
Great historic culture
Cons
Undergoing cuts
Management Confusion
Senior Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAMarch 30, 2015
Compensation is good. Great colleagues. Management staff seems to change seasonally and they're struggling to find their niche in the current market. No clear path to advancement. There is flexibility around hours and working from home which makes the work/life balance good. The tough part is the constant changing of direction of the company and the push to cut costs and time on every project. Where once quality of product was important, now fast and cheap win out. Much less job satisfaction.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management confusion
Traditional industry meeting transformational challenges
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 10, 2015
The company recently decided to move into a digital first future and the series of transformational reorganizations has been profound. Core value of fiscal responsibility remains strong and underpins new emphasis on new revenue-driven strategies that guarantee immediate results. An excellent opportunity for younger executives looking to establish their first milestones.
Very good job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 6, 2015
What can I say?

This company was family owned and ran by good hearted people who actually cared about their employees.

The coworkers were fun and the pay was amazing. One could retire with this company.

Sad thing is they closed during the economic crisis.

Seems all the good places get killed off and we are left working for these money hungry organizations who don't take care of their employees.
Pros
everything
Cons
the company is now closed.
Great Place to Work, Little in the Way of Advancement
Sales Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Wiley is a great place to work, especially if you're younger and looking to get a start in the publishing business and have grown accustomed to the idea that you will not be making a lot of money from the getgo, or you're older and have a family and want to spend more time with them. If you are inbetween those two stations in life there is not alot for you in the way of advancement or compensation.
There are not a lot of rungs in the middle of the corporate ladder.

Supervisors and bosses are very understanding and supportive. I should note that people often come back to Wiley after leaving because the people and environment are very warm and kind.
Pros
best work to life balance in the new york metro area
Cons
what you get in life benefits, you lack in compensation.