Wiley Employee Reviews

The people are great to work with but Wiley is no longer the "place to be".
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJOctober 13, 2016
Wiley use to be an excellent company to work for. In the past 3 1/2 years they have eliminated many positions and continue to lay off employees. They have hired new management during this period and then terminated them. They don't seem to really know exactly where they are going. They have eliminated some of their great benefits and continue to add workload to the employees remaining with the company.
Pros
Hoboken location is very nice. The office is near the Hudson River with beautiful views.
Cons
Job security, uncertainty in direction they are headed and quality in their products.
Small office, Big family
SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 22, 2016
Working with Wiley for the last 5 years, we have had a unique opportunity to work within a small office and watch it grow. During this time, we have created a small family that has been a pleasure to be a part of. We are supportive, fun and work hard daily towards achieving our goals.

During my tenure, I have learned how to use navigate reports in SalesForce, lead a team and support training initiatives. I enjoy the dynamic of phone sales and have excelled at this skill through my time here.

Working at Wiley has taught me many skills that are necessary in business and phone sales specifically.
Great People, Long Hours
Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLFebruary 22, 2017
The best part about Wiley is the people. Your co-workers are great, fun people to be around. However, there is no work life balance. Expect to routinely work into the wee hours of the morning, playing catch up.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Work life balance
Full of learning opportunities
Service Desk Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INOctober 17, 2016
Working here was the best place for me to have began my career. I learned a lot of how to work dynamically while on the phones. A big part of my position while at the company was researching whether the issue was with the material provided.
Pros
Free books for the technicians
Cons
good place to work - good benefits
Supervisor & Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJDecember 9, 2016
hard work - but good managers and workers. decent pay and benefits. Bonus was available to all that qualified. Job ended because management closed all warehouses and outsourced all the work.
Lay Offs expected
Publisher's Representative (Current Employee) –  Empire, CANovember 9, 2016
I like the company for its flexibility and intelligence. But I often feel isolated, and don't get an abundance of support.
Great place to build a career
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, COSeptember 16, 2016
Wiley is a great company to work for. 200 year old business that is expanding into the online education industry. Excellent hours and decent benefits.
Great Work Environment and Coworkers - but downsizing to minimal personnell
Acquisitions Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 28, 2016
I loved working there and I learn a lot of incredibly important and useful skills, but there was no room for advancement and management is cutting down department sizes left and right. Out of the other 30 desks around me, only 6 had people at them.
Pros
Lunch and learns, great work flexibility, health-conscious, amazing boss and teams
Cons
No room for advancement unless someone leaves, lots and lots of downsizing, and many editors having to become "sales people" rather than just doing their jobs
A Company still in Transition
Senior Production Editor (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 17, 2016
In the end, the company has a vision, and I'm sure they will eventually land right side up once the transformation has ceased or subsided to give their employees a sense of job security again if such a thing still exist.
Overall, the people who work there are hard working, dedicated, and at times fun. It's a great stepping stone for a college grad entering the workforce for the first time. Lots of smart people in one company. If you are looking to learn, seek them out. One thing for certain, you will leave with an wealth of knowledge.
Friendly Community feel
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJApril 30, 2016
The orders would come out in "waves". Me and my fellow material material handlers would each pick part of each wave, help others if needed. Over the years I learned more efficient ways of doing things. We had great managers there who would let us handle the details and just worry about the big picture. Great coworkers, even though the job ended I made a lot of lifelong friends. The only hard part for me, was back when we were real busy and the orders were huge, was getting a reach truck to pull down whole pallets. WE had three trucks and a dozen material handlers. Sometimes I would would have to pick the pallet one carton at a time, but this was rare. The most rewarding part of the job was leaving every day knowing everything was done. For me your job is part of your identity
Pros
picnics, parties, benefits
Cons
technology replaced the need for the work
ETL Informatica Developer (Current Employee) –  Hoboken-New JerseyJuly 21, 2016
I Lent new technology, \
support management, co-worker are with understanding,
enjoyed each and every work day in wally.
there is no typical in working
Great Culture; Plenty of Opportunities
Group Media Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 23, 2016
Great place to work.Good culture and fun people. Plenty of opportunities across the many, many offices. Management is great and truly has an open door policy. Our division is pretty flat and we all like to work hard, together.
Pros
Good pay, lots of opportunities
Cons
Can be siloed.
Wiley, LTD
Advertising and Promotions Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 24, 2015
Wiley was primarily a great place to work due to its creative business culture, personable co-workers, and growing employment opportunities. Design and branding standards were taken to a higher level to produce quality work for publications.
Pros
Near Washington Ave strip of restaurants and major transportation.
Cons
Work from home capabilities and software could have been more universal.
Committed Company
Exhibits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAApril 11, 2016
Wiley helps promote it's mission of Education. Within my position I help execute our presence at Exhibits across the country promoting our books, journals and services.
Nice colleagues, minimal opportunity to advance, constant restructuring in struggling industry
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 28, 2015
Wiley used to have the reputation as a great place to work. Over the past three to four years, that has changed. It has been constantly struggling to adapt to stay afloat in a changing industry, and has struggled to redefine itself and the shape of its structure. The almost annual restructuring has resulted in many colleagues being laid off, and the remaining ones working in a climate of uncertainty. Morale has struggled, though corporate has recently started to make some efforts to boost company culture. Promotions are difficult to come by, as are raises. Colleagues, however, are mostly all intelligent, kind, hard-working people and a pleasure to be around every day.
Pros
nice colleagues, 35 hr workweek, generous PTO, good benefits
Cons
little opportunity to advance, constant restructuring and layoffs, low employee morale
Enjoyable workplace
Clerk-1 (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJMarch 8, 2016
Learned my office skills and management gave me that opportunity. Communicating with customers,dispatchers and forwarders. Work good with everyone.
Pros
Paid time off. Holidays. Activities and Events.
FUN Work Place
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJNovember 14, 2015
The best Job I have had out my career. The young and driven leaders supported the staff by offering classes to excel in your career. The health advice and gym offers to the employees help motivated the staff and most enjoyable part of the job was the cafe.
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
Lay Offs
An evolving company
Project Manger (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJOctober 29, 2015
Wiley is a 200 year old company constantly adapting to a changing publishing landscape. The evolution into a knowledge services provider has been facilitated by recent acquisition in the knowledge and learning space. It is at an exciting transformative point in its life.
the hardest part of the job
Sr.Performance Tester (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2015
Getting out of bed in the morning.

Other than that, expectations and unrealistic objectives. I am slightly annoyed with work at the moment as they just delayed our pay rise by 4 months to achieve their profit objectives. Sure, they need the money more than me.
Management Confusion
Senior Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAMarch 30, 2015
Compensation is good. Great colleagues. Management staff seems to change seasonally and they're struggling to find their niche in the current market. No clear path to advancement. There is flexibility around hours and working from home which makes the work/life balance good. The tough part is the constant changing of direction of the company and the push to cut costs and time on every project. Where once quality of product was important, now fast and cheap win out. Much less job satisfaction.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management confusion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wiley. Our community is ready to answer.

73%