Wilkes-Barre General Hospital

Wilkes-Barre General Hospital Employee Reviews

An excellent facility to work for
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, PANovember 3, 2016
My job was to help cardiac patients who had some type of heart procedure, (open heart surgery, angio,etc) to get back in shape physically and mentally.
Pros
To see the improvement in health, especially mentally
Cons
Felt sad for the patients who are having difficult times with their health
good first time job.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 15, 2016
working at wilkes-barre general hospital was fun and the day went by fast, i met many new life long friends and my expience was very present.
Pros
free lunches.
Cons
no breaks for part timers
High Pressure/Low Return
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAAugust 22, 2016
Stay away from all of CHS - all that matters is $$!

Cut everyone and everything.

Hide, don't fix any problems.

Run far, far away.
Loved my job, but overall company and head of HR are heartless
Mental health worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston PaFebruary 8, 2013
Community Health Systems is a company that does not value their employees at all. They took so much away when they took over. The only thing that was good were the benefits. Upper management acted like they cared but they really don't. Their policies are terrible. I was 100% dedicated to my job only to get a slap in the face in the end. They said they valued me but in the end had no regard.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor upper management
Employees nice to work with
Registrat (Former Employee) –  Wilkes BarreJanuary 28, 2015
Some employees can take FMLA leave for months and can still can keep their jobs. An employee take a nap under a surveillance camera and still keep their job. Management terrible.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
favoritism
Wilkes-Barre General Hospital is a leader in local healthcare with loyal employees and a family work environment.
Executive Secretary to the CEO and CMO (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA 18764August 27, 2014
A typical day at work includes so many different aspects of a career. It is a fast paced environment where anything can happen at anytime. Senior management can be found circulating throughout the building engaging employees and patients in an attempt to make every experience the best it can be.
A Day In Surgical ICU
SICU RN (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 26, 2012
At the beginning of my evening shift working in the surgical ICU, I would start by getting report from the previous shift and doing bedside reporting to introduce myself, prior to the previous shift leaving. I would typically have one to two patients, depending on acuity, who would require frequent assessments on cardiac, neuro, & complicated surgical patients, including administration of many cardiac and pain management medications.
I learned how to better critically assess a patient and be able to recognize when something is getting ready to go wrong. Working in ICU, not only management, but my other co-workers all came together during a crisis to help each other. The hardest part of the job was seeing patients die, despite working so hard to save them. On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing patients who were able to be discharged, due to getting better.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
no lunch breaks due to patient acuity
Excellent experiences by working throughtout the hospital.
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 30, 2014
Patient care, med pass, teaching, IV therapy.
Learned from many seasoned nurses over the years on their experiences.
Management was tough but fair.
Co-workers, for the most part were all team players.
The hardest part was being short staffed.
The most enjoyable was that I made friends for a lifetime and we all learned and grew from one another's knowledge.
Pros
great group of nurses wherever I worked
Cons
Short staffed/nurse:patient ratio
Okay place to work if you are a robot
Physical therapist (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-barre, PennsylvaniaDecember 28, 2012
Not much room here to expand your professional wings. Director values checklists and rules instead of good patient care. No flexibility in hours. Have to work weekends and holidays. Very little continuing education.
Pros
decent health insurance, hours always available
Cons
management are robots, no room for creativity or ideas, pay below industry standard, was forced to give our manager high reviews
Ridiculous Policies ..hired and let go right before start date!
Prep Tech (Former Employee) –  Wilkes BarreJanuary 9, 2015
I was hired by Wilkes Barre General Hospital. Did all my paperwork,drug test, background check...all good. Gave my current employer a 2 week notice, bought $50 worth of scrubs that I cant even take back.
Got a call right before my start date from HR stating that they saw I was a previous employee 3 years ago ...WBGH said I worked there for 5 days...(I was there for 1 overnight shift and decided it was not for me) immediately told the supervisor my reason for not staying. HR claimed I needed to give a 2 week notice and on my application that stated I lied about never being an employee. I have applied for many positions at WBGH and always put down on my application that I worked there. When you already have an account,and apply to jobs at WBGH, the application process is already filled out. So I did not realize that the question asking if I was a previous employee said "NO". All this was ...was an accidental error. They told me I "FALSIFIED" my application and made me feel like a liar. Now I have no job at all. Considering legal action.
Pros
Horrible HR Department, Ridiculous Policy
Representative/Imaging Service Department (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 19, 2013
A typical day at work generally begins with checking the call with report and making sure the doctors, the nursing stations, and Emergency Department received the essential test results from patients. After this task is complete I write up releases or manage outside releases and film manage all essential CD's, films, and reports that need to be either; mailed, couriered, patient hand carried to the proper patient, doctor, or miscellaneous hospital. generally after lunch I move to the front desk where i monitor the patient flow of the radiology department.
Pros
Dealing directly with the patients and monitoring the flow of the hospital
Cons
sometimes having to work through breaks or lunches
Very fast paced environment
Unit Secretary Clinical Services/ Med-Surgical (Former Employee) –  throughout hospitalFebruary 12, 2014
A very productive and fast paced environment. Worked between In-patient and Out-patient services. Worked with all departments with in facility and outside facility. Worked along side: Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, Techs all the way through the list to Environmental services. Customer Service was key at this facility. Worked with patients and family members on daily basis. Computers, software and phones were highly used for a means of communication. Charting and filing are some other aspects of what I did there as an employee. I have learned how to manage my time efficiently and learned to prioritize my work in a excellent manner during all types of situations, such as: Post op patients coming back from major surgeries, codes, pt family visiting times, "STAT" calls etc. My co-workers is what built a team. We all worked together, communicated to each other and got the job done by working together as a unit/team.
Wilkes Barre General
PACS Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes Barre General HospitalJune 7, 2013
Organizationally this for profit organization operates a 400 bed hospital. This is a fast paced environment in which time and organization management are much needed skills.

My days revolve around daily maintenance and planning surrounding the Picture Archive and Communication Systems.
Pros
Stable position
Cons
Single person support organization
Poor management and lack of staff
Nursing Assistant - Telemetry Unit (Former Employee) –  Wilkes Barre, PaApril 2, 2013
The major problems within the hospital is lack of staff to handle the workload. Too much pressure is placed on one nursing assistant to handle a workload that should be handled by no less than 2 assistants. Nursing staff become frustrated with the nursing assistants because it is impossible for the assistants to do everything that is requested within a work day. Because of this the nursing staff is constantly filing complaints against the nursing assistant staff which in turns causes the managers to reprimand the nursing assistants while overlooking the fact that more help is needed. Most enjoyable part of the job was giving comfort to the elderly patients because it's a scary thing to be in the hospital especially when it's a cardiac related issue. It always made me feel good when I brought that needed comfort to the patients. From working there I have learned that I wish to pursue getting a Registered Nurse Degree because it's my passion to help others as much as I can.
Pros
helping the patients and bringing them comfort.
Cons
some days no lunch or breaks
Enjoyable and Functional Workplace
X-ray Clinical Experience (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 30, 2014
X-ray Clinicals-
Come in and be assigned to an imaging room,
There on take any patients through their imaging study for that room,
If that room is not busy, assist other employees in other rooms.
Get a detailed history and track all patients.
Clean rooms as needed as well as stock.
I learned to work together with others and assist where assistance is needed.
great nurse teamwork
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  river street, wilkes-barre paSeptember 6, 2012
medical surgical nurse experienced in float position.
floors worked include oncology, neuro, respiratory, gastro and surgical.
A very rewarding job with an enriching environment.
co-workers are awesome. we all work well together.
hardest part of the job is time constraints.
most enjoyable part of my job is that i am always learning from co-workers, patients, doctors, etc...
Good
Cytotechnologist (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 25, 2012
A more laid back type work environment with good quality time spent on the patient possible.
Pros
not fast paced as other areas
Cons
not as much advancement as other areas
Productive and professional workplace
Cardiac Monitor Tech / Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 2, 2012
I enjoy working at this hospital mainly because of the dedicated staff.
Pros
overtime is available, free lunches available for working overtime
A stepping stone
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 3, 2014
This job prepared me for my future nursing career.

See previous review.
Maintains poor performers
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 29, 2014
Work volume and requirements are manageable. Not a very challenging job. Many poor performers who maintain their jobs, there is little turn over. This is problem for me.
I need more challenging work and co-workers that have the skills to perform at a higher level. You do not have this there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8