Wilkes-Barre General Hospital Employee Reviews

Miserable and stressful work place
Cook (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 27, 2017
Management is not what I would say sufficient. They do not care for their employees, once so ever. Continuously short staffed, and underappreciated. The amount of ignorance in employees, and visitors is absurd.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No guaranteed breaks, scheduled changed minutes prior to leaving
You can and will be replaced mentality
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 25, 2017
The co-works are great, but the job is sub-par.
You opinions don't matter, job description doesn't matter. Most of your entire job is doing anything put your job description.
Pros
Co-workers are nice
Cons
Pay
good benefits but every year they cut people because of budget cuts
Mechanic Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJune 4, 2017
good benefits but your constantly on edge about if they are going to lay you off because of budget cuts. The maintenance staff is pretty good but they are just undermaned and dont get approved to hire people permanantly much.
Overall a good experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Emergency RoomMay 31, 2017
Over the past 2 and half years, there have been many good and not so good experiences. This is normal in any workplace. Co-workers are mostly amazing but there are some management concerns.
Good starting place
Registered Nurse, Obstetrics /NICU Level I (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMay 26, 2017
Short staffing is an issue, occasional mandating. However, I feel that they paid fairly , more than other hospitals within in the area. I would like to have seen 12hr shifts offered in my department, but to my knowledge that is currently a work in progress.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long work weeks
Too worried about maximizing profits over patient care
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 20, 2017
Short staffed
Not enough equipment
The amount of work to do does not equate to a fair wage
Management is invisible at times
Strong sense that leadership doesn't care
Great co-workers
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 20, 2016
Under staff, overworked, underpaid.

The hospital is for profit and they mean business when it comes down to saving a penny.
good first time job.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 15, 2016
working at wilkes-barre general hospital was fun and the day went by fast, i met many new life long friends and my expience was very present.
Pros
free lunches.
Cons
no breaks for part timers
An excellent facility to work for
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, PANovember 3, 2016
My job was to help cardiac patients who had some type of heart procedure, (open heart surgery, angio,etc) to get back in shape physically and mentally.
Pros
To see the improvement in health, especially mentally
Cons
Felt sad for the patients who are having difficult times with their health
High Pressure/Low Return
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAAugust 22, 2016
Stay away from all of CHS - all that matters is $$!

Cut everyone and everything.

Hide, don't fix any problems.

Run far, far away.

Want to know more about Wilkes-Barre General Hospital?

Ask a question
Employees nice to work with
Registrat (Former Employee) –  Wilkes BarreJanuary 28, 2015
Some employees can take FMLA leave for months and can still can keep their jobs. An employee take a nap under a surveillance camera and still keep their job. Management terrible.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
favoritism
Ridiculous Policies ..hired and let go right before start date!
Prep Tech (Former Employee) –  Wilkes BarreJanuary 9, 2015
I was hired by Wilkes Barre General Hospital. Did all my paperwork,drug test, background check...all good. Gave my current employer a 2 week notice, bought $50 worth of scrubs that I cant even take back.
Got a call right before my start date from HR stating that they saw I was a previous employee 3 years ago ...WBGH said I worked there for 5 days...(I was there for 1 overnight shift and decided it was not for me) immediately told the supervisor my reason for not staying. HR claimed I needed to give a 2 week notice and on my application that stated I lied about never being an employee. I have applied for many positions at WBGH and always put down on my application that I worked there. When you already have an account,and apply to jobs at WBGH, the application process is already filled out. So I did not realize that the question asking if I was a previous employee said "NO". All this was ...was an accidental error. They told me I "FALSIFIED" my application and made me feel like a liar. Now I have no job at all. Considering legal action.
Pros
Horrible HR Department, Ridiculous Policy
Excellent experiences by working throughtout the hospital.
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 30, 2014
Patient care, med pass, teaching, IV therapy.
Learned from many seasoned nurses over the years on their experiences.
Management was tough but fair.
Co-workers, for the most part were all team players.
The hardest part was being short staffed.
The most enjoyable was that I made friends for a lifetime and we all learned and grew from one another's knowledge.
Pros
great group of nurses wherever I worked
Cons
Short staffed/nurse:patient ratio
Maintains poor performers
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 29, 2014
Work volume and requirements are manageable. Not a very challenging job. Many poor performers who maintain their jobs, there is little turn over. This is problem for me.
I need more challenging work and co-workers that have the skills to perform at a higher level. You do not have this there.
great place
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 29, 2014
friendly atmosphere, helped with my education and learned a lot. hardest part was leaving
A stepping stone
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 3, 2014
This job prepared me for my future nursing career.

See previous review.
Wilkes-Barre General Hospital is a leader in local healthcare with loyal employees and a family work environment.
Executive Secretary to the CEO and CMO (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA 18764August 27, 2014
A typical day at work includes so many different aspects of a career. It is a fast paced environment where anything can happen at anytime. Senior management can be found circulating throughout the building engaging employees and patients in an attempt to make every experience the best it can be.
Fast paced working environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 27, 2014
team work is a must. Very fast paced. Company should take more pride in the qualified staff they have. Very fast turn overs.
Very busy place to work for
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wilkes Barre, PaMarch 4, 2014
The people I work with are like my second family, we have been though births, deaths, wedding and even cancer. They will be missed
Pros
Insurance
Cons
They are closing our office
Very fast paced environment
Unit Secretary Clinical Services/ Med-Surgical (Former Employee) –  throughout hospitalFebruary 12, 2014
A very productive and fast paced environment. Worked between In-patient and Out-patient services. Worked with all departments with in facility and outside facility. Worked along side: Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, Techs all the way through the list to Environmental services. Customer Service was key at this facility. Worked with patients and family members on daily basis. Computers, software and phones were highly used for a means of communication. Charting and filing are some other aspects of what I did there as an employee. I have learned how to manage my time efficiently and learned to prioritize my work in a excellent manner during all types of situations, such as: Post op patients coming back from major surgeries, codes, pt family visiting times, "STAT" calls etc. My co-workers is what built a team. We all worked together, communicated to each other and got the job done by working together as a unit/team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7