Willamette University Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to meet incoming students and to form a close team with peers
Steppin Out Leader (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 28, 2017
Would recommend this job for anyone who enjoys the outdoors and meeting new people. It is a great opportunity to work closely with peers from all grades at the university and to meet a large portion of the incoming class. The Steppin Out program is a unique chance for incoming students to meet each other in a fun environment which helps break the ice and create common experiences to bridge the distance between students. It is an outdoor leadership position which focuses on the outdoors mainly as a vehicle in which to create relationships and form bonds rather than as a challenge to reach the top of a mountain. However this job does require large amounts of risk management due to the high levels of driving and percentage of time spend in wilderness locations. The culture of this program is the best part of the job. It is a high energy, fun position in which you see incoming students come out of their shells and form connections with each other. It is also a very trusting community where participants and leaders feel comfortable to share their fears and experiences about college life in order to learn and grow as individuals and as a collective.
Life changing experience whether you are a participant, new leader or seasoned returning leader.
Pros
great community, chance to explore the outdoors, free meals, camp accomidations
Cons
you graduate college and can't be a leader anymore
Great school and place to work
PACE Team Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 29, 2017
Working as a Teaching Assistant for Willamette University's Atkinson Graduate School of Management PACE Program was an incredibly rewarding experience!
Good Place to Work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 21, 2017
-Excellent Professors
-Supportive and Helpful staff and management
-The professor I assisted was an excellent teacher
-Great learning experience overall
Serious management concerns
Director (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 14, 2016
I have never worked at a school with more administrative disfunction. While the students are very bright and the faculty excellent and mostly engaged, there is a lack of cohesiveness in the administrative leadership. Old entrenched ways of doing things collide with new organization, restructuring and red tape. The upper echelons seem particularly out of touch and staff turnover in some areas is alarming. While the president is a good and well intentioned person, clear leadership and ownership seem lacking with various other high level administrators pursuing their own agendas and power moves.
Pros
Intelligent students. Beautiful campus. Kind colleagues.
Cons
Top level disarray, opaque decision making, financial concerns.
Collegial and academic
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 13, 2016
The faculty at Willamette is collegial and growth oriented. I was able to hone my teaching skills there with substantial and meaningful guidance. I always felt appreciated and valued by my academic peers.
An institution that emphasized a healthy and balanced lifestyle between work, academics and community.
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 29, 2016
I very much enjoyed working as an Undergraduate Researcher for Willamette University. The community, especially my project's advisor and coworkers, really made the experience. Everyone in my immediate work environment were friendly, cooperative and overall enjoyable to work with. The most challenging aspect of the job was encountering low morale during periods of time when research hit dead ends. However, the lab work specific to our project was both very rewarding and engaging and we never worked in a slump for too long.
Pros
Great Community
Willamette University.
Former professor (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 30, 2015
A lot of coddling going on at WU. The students are spoiled, smart---but spoiled---and in their defense, the education (the real education, literally) they strive for and advocate for, doesn't take place exactly. Covert racism and politics rule the administration (upper level, of course), coworkers are both cool and narcissistic.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Covert racism
Willamette University
Portfolio Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 29, 2015
There was a very competitive work environment that encouraged all students to be as efficient as possible. Colleagues were all well educated and knowledge. team work were the main emphasizes of the organization.
An interesting mix of people.
PROSPECTIVE STUDENT HOST (Former Employee) –  Admissions OfficeMay 5, 2015
Willamette is cool. There are some issues, but employees are generally treated well. A number of unique opportunities exist here.
Productive and fast paced yet enjoyable work environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 8, 2014
Working for Willamette during my time as a student was great!
They were very understanding of the changing schedules of students and willing to work with us.
I learned a lot over my time there.
Excellent work environment
Director of Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 31, 2014
Opportunity to re-organize the campus security policies at a time when the department had been seriously at odds with faculty and student body. Using community policing strategies, I was able to forge close working relationships with student leaders, Greek houses and key faculty to develop campus involvement in security.
Pros
Great boss and co-workers
Cons
Flexible work hours and the ability to be employed while focusing on school
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 20, 2013
My typical day as an office assistant consisted of sorting mail for the departmental staff, making copies for staff and/or students, typing documents for the Administrative Assistant, and possibly delivering documents to other university offices.

While in this position, I learned how to multi-task and how to work around interruptions. I learned that although I may be working on a task, it was important to stop and help staff and students who came in needing assistance, then return to my own task.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the variety of tasks that I had to complete. Also the ability to work while attending school was very appreciated. This was possible through the flexible hours, and the recognition by management that academics were a priority.
University Employment
QUAD Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 7, 2013
Working for the University as both a QUAD Center employee and research assistant for professors has allowed me gain valuable skills in organization and working with others.
Great and useful program teaching future managers of Oregon's public organizations
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 8, 2012
Great program where I taught and managed the program, including admissions to the program.
Pros
very useful work.
Cons
limited hours