William Blair & Company

William Blair & Company Employer Reviews

First-class firm
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: financially stable, sound management, many very intelligent hard-working employees
Cons: as tough to make it in private wealth management here as anywhere
The private wealth management part of the firm is fairly unstructured, and there was no formal training program like the large firms. "We work in ideas" is what I was told, and I found it to be true. There were no sales contests, and none of the breathless talk of younger advisors about the size of someone's book that I heard at another larger firm. – more... A typical lunch or afternoon meeting featured either a William Blair analyst expounding on the financial parameters of an industry and the companies he or she covered, or the CEO/CFO of a covered company explaining their business model, challenges and strategy. Advisors are truly independent and not close with mutual fund wholesalers, though they do rely on the firm's analysts. Many employees, even admin and support staff, have worked at the firm for many years. The top principals of the firm were very down-to-earth and would make time for any employee. – less
Not the same place it used to be
Project Manager (Former Employee), chicagoAugust 27, 2012
Pros: good work-life balance, hours
Cons: no advancement
WBC has lost all the good people that knew the culture and kept true to Mr. Blairs - our people are our greatest asset. New managers from local financial firms come in and change the dynamic due to their own insecurities. Money is spent outside, leaving internal people to worry about their jobs and lose them to bring in their own people.

More than – more... 55% of workforce has been there 5 years or less compared to 5% years ago. – less
Enjoyable place to work
Project Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 10, 2012
It is a great work environment with an open-door policy. It is one of the strongest names in the Chicagoland financial community and it deserves its reputation, both in the talent that it attracts and the work product they produce.