William Paterson University

William Paterson University Employer Reviews

24 Hour/ 7 Days a Week
Residents Assistant (Former Employee), Wayne, NJ 07470January 2, 2015
Pros: free room and board
Cons: not much free time
With this job, there is no typical day. As an RA we are required to be "On Duty" only a certain number of days so that the others have a day off. So while I am "On Duty" I would pick up the duty keys, phone, and binder at 4:30pm during the week (12pm on the weekend). I would get a dinner break from 5:30-6pm where I could go to the dining hall on campus. From 8-10pm I would have office hours, which consisted of approving overnights for residents and being available for residents to come and express their concerns to me even if I was not their direct RA, or their RA was not around. I was required to to 3-4 "rounds" a night; where I would walk the entire building(s) that I was assigned to look for maintenance issues, residential issues, check in with the guards in the front of the building, and to have my presence shown on each floor. I would also have to respond to any and all disturbances in the middle of the night; and work hand-in-hand with Campus Police. I would have to return the keys, binder, and phone by 8:30am back to the office for my supervisor.

The hardest part of the job would have been the fact that I was also a full-time student at the same time; I had to manage my time. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the reward of helping my residents. I had transfers which meant that this was their first time to the university. They had no prior experience at a university like William Paterson, and I was there to help guide them through their college semesters.
Best student job I ever had.
Career Development and Advisement (Former Employee), Wayne, NJDecember 18, 2014
Pros: my co-workers
Cons: no benefits
I enjoyed working at William Paterson University as a student worker. I learned how to work with a diverse population of students and faculty. My co-workers became long lasting friendships. I can not recall and hard time.
Student
Teacher of the Handicapped Certification (Former Employee), Wayne, NJDecember 18, 2014
Pros: great experiences
Cons: salary
Enjoyed being a student at WPU. I was also a student athlete and had many great experiences.
Willyp
Media Technician, Hospitality Services (Current Employee), Wayne, NJNovember 10, 2014
The management here can be a whole lot better. It takes a long time for you to get a raise.
Nice People
Favilities (Current Employee), Wayne, NJOctober 24, 2014
There are many great people tat work ere and care about students. It's a greta place to work and go to school.
hectic
Campus Violence Prevention Program Assistant (Current Employee), Wayne, NJOctober 16, 2014
this position required less data analysis, but great organization skills to complete tasks in a timely manner
A fine academic environment
Adjunct Professor of English (Former Employee), North Haledon, NJOctober 7, 2014
Teaching freshman English was a great challenge because many students straight out of high school were woefully illiterate.
In classroom experience.
Visiting Professor - Dept. Management (Current Employee), Montclair, NJAugust 25, 2014
Instructed 25+ college students in advance "capstone" course.
Awseome Gym Atmoshpere
Student Rec Assistant (Former Employee), Wayne, NJAugust 14, 2014
Fits perfectly with a freshman in college looking to make extra income. moderately paced work place with lively co-workers and management.
A dynamic, interactive, fun work environment
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Wayne, NJAugust 6, 2014
Responsible to monitor the main entrance, lobbies, and other public areas in the building.
Checked the identification of everyone who entered the residence hall and compute times.
Provided general assistance to students, parents, and guests who enter the building.
Assisted in emergency situations if/when they arise.
Variety of clerical task.
Communicated with students in a daily routine.
Wiliam Paterson
Member of 2014 ENACTUS Competitive Team (Former Employee), wayne, njAugust 4, 2014
It was a school job, and it was just like any other entry level job
Productive and great place to work for
Yearbook Editor (Former Employee), Wayne, NJJuly 8, 2014
Working in all of the various different departments in William Paterson University has been the best time of my life. I have learned so much and gained so many different skills sets.
Productive and it helps one grow in many areas of their life.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Wayne, NJJune 26, 2014
Pros: i get to be a resource to students and free room and board.
Cons: i can't go home as much as i would like too.
Being an RA can be very challenging at times, but it is a great job to help you grow as a person. A typical day as an RA is getting to know the residents that live on the floor that you are in charge of, being a resource to them, and bringing a sense of community within the floor. When we are on Duty and have office hours, we are in charge of handling paper work such as overnights and we are responsible for everything that happens in the building that we live in.
I have learned a lot by being an RA. I learned to think quickly on my feet when an unexpected situation arises and I learned what works and doesn't work when enforcing policy. I have gained so much experience from this job because we deal with so much. Something as small as putting up creative bulletin boards, to dealing with students that are suicidal and providing resources for them to better themselves.
This job can be a little draining and time consuming, but it is all worth it when you see your residents grow personally, academically, and socially. It is rewarding when we are able to see them grow and mature throughout the year and begin able to develop new friendships with them. I love that I am able to be a part of someones life and to be the person that they go to when they need help. My heart is to help people and this job gives me the opportunity to do that.
Friendly Environment
Hospitality Services Representative (Former Employee), Wayne, NJJune 4, 2014
Co-workers are energetic and helpful whenever possible. There is always room for advancement.
My Summary of WPU
Special Events / Activities Director (Former Employee), Wayne, NJMay 8, 2014
Pros: i loved my job 30 yrs experience total
Cons: the director
I used to enjoy going to work but when a new Director came - the whole atmosphere changed & she belittled me, and my co-workers.
We learned to tolerate it but we needed to call the union at some point. You can only take so much. My favorite part of the job was coordinating the trips & seminars and dealing with all my vendors who were wonderful. I also loved the Chamber of Commerce events.
I met many wonderful people that I hired for my seminars to speak.

I ran a Thanksgiving Dinner for 10 yrs. for 450 Sr. Citizens & got them all gifts, & gift certificates donated thru all my contacts. I organized the entire event. - contacted my political friends to attend.
Productive Enviornment
Asian Language Tutor (Current Employee), Wayne, NJMay 4, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, eating area, free snacks on occasion
Organized facility with space for all types of tutoring; friendly staff.
Very enjoyable
Cheerleading Coach (Former Employee), Wayne, NJApril 10, 2014
Great environment and great people to work with. There is a lot of support throughout the school
Productive and fun work place
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Wayne, NJMarch 17, 2014
Pros: housing fee is wavied, priority registration.
Cons: indcredibly demanding position.
A challenging and rewarding position for an undergraduate student residing in the resident halls. Responsibilities of a resident assistant include administrative tasks, providing resources, coordinating programs, working with the Residence Life staff, counseling and enforcing policies. During a duty shift, the resident assistant fulfills office hours where they validate overnight request forms and work orders. We are expected to make rounds in the building three or four times during the night to make sure that residents are abiding by quiet hours. Resident assistants are trained to professionally approach residents acting outside of conduct. Creating programs for residents to attend and building community among such diverse residents is the hardest and most enjoyable part of this position. Time management plays a critical role because resident assistants are also full time students and have other jobs and priorities.
Requires good time management skills
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Wayne, NJFebruary 17, 2014
Requires good time management skills, but the faculty is polite and is accommodating to the demands of being a graduate student. Often, the work hours are flexible with advance notice.
Quiet, Productive Atmosphere
Asian Language Tutor (Current Employee), Wayne, NJFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: quiet, spacious
Easy to communicate with supervisors on any assistance needed.
Friendly atmosphere with room for resources.

1 2 3