WILLIAM W. BACKUS HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Patient Financial Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTDecember 1, 2016
Not much room for growth but the employees are friendly and the benefits are good. It was a little better before Hartford Healthcare bought us out.
Interactive, challenging work place with energetic and positive environment
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 17, 2016
William Backus Hospital is a mission driven organization that provides best healthcare facilities and services to the patients they serve. A typical day required relationship building with patients and taking charge of the laboratory for specimen processing. . As a member of the laboratory team, required daily interaction with the MD, Nurses, and other hospital staff to provide updates on patient. . I learned a great deal about organizing, staying ahead of the game, prioritizing, multitasking with accuracy and good work ethic. My co-workers and the management were all very supportive and knowledgeable which helped us clearly understand the overall direction the company needed to go. The toughest part of the job was the ever changing healthcare market and our ability to adapt to this market quickly and effectively. I enjoyed the creativity of working Backus Hospital.
Hometwon Hospital
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 5, 2016
Wondefull work staff and patient centered environment. Evidence based decisionmaking with patient care encouraged at all levels of employment. Great work enviro0nment and friendly staff and leadership who addresss all needs expressd in a timely manner.
Different required daily functions
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTMarch 10, 2016
Secure all hospital grounds. Assist with intoxicated patient. Secure patient valuables. Transport employees to their vehicles.
Great place to work.
RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Norwich,CTSeptember 25, 2015
I love my job and the people I work with. There are very busy days and not so busy days. Team work is what gets us through not only in the department but inter departments.
Mental health work is intriguing and quickly progressing.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTMay 11, 2015
I enjoy working with the public. The hospital has great benefits and I am never worried about my job security. I work with the same people almost every day so we have a strong team chemistry. My management team is enthusiastic and helpful. The hardest part of my job is seeing the patients that I am unable to help and realizing that I have very little room for advancement. The most enjoyable part of my day consists of meeting and relating to all people with different backgrounds.
Decent employer
Cannot give publicly (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTOctober 17, 2014
Not a bad place to work. I was sorry when my position was eliminated during the restructuring as part of Hartford Healthcare (and not just because of the difficulties finding a new position in the current job market).
Pros
Pay
Cons
Time clocks with three minute windows for punching in.
My first position after graduating, so was exciting
X-ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 20, 2014
performed routine radiology exams on second shift. The staff was great. The managers were fair. the hardest part was you worked alone. patient care has always been my favorite aspect of the job
Wrong time to go into healthcare
medical technologist (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 7, 2014
I dont recommend entering the Medical field as long as health care laws are in flux.
Productive and fast paced place to be
Emergency Room Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, CTOctober 8, 2013
The ER is fast paced and you have to be ready for anything at all times. The supervisors are all great and work with us as a team.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 8, 2013
Very busy with many patients coming in to the emergency department. Worked very closely with coworkers.
Pros
Flexible shifts for family issues
Cons
Lack of communication
Very productive and family oriented atmosphere
Staffing Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTJune 20, 2013
A typical day there was greeting the new shifts as they came in for their schedules. I learned the Kronos Database. The management there was very curteous and helpful, as well as my co-workers. I didn't find a particular hard part of the position but the most enjoyable aspect of the position was the team work as a group.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement within the company
Great place while in school, but somewhat negative atmosphere
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTMay 29, 2012
This is a good job to have while working through schooling however, the management can play favorites and take advantage of workers. Co-workers are not particularly pleasant to be around and complain a lot. I do not enjoy this job lately but it was a good place to work while in college because of the money, benefits, and hours. One thing I can say positive about management is that they were willing to work around my school schedule which was a huge benefit.
For Profit Institution
Former Staff Nurse (Med-Surgical) (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Ct.May 12, 2012
The new administration that has no respect for long term employees. There is no respect for experienced nurses or other types of employees. The new culture is primarily self promotion. An image campaign done through marketing. In the past the facility was a reflection of it's employees. Now it is a picture painted by extensive advertisement. An unending barrage of self promotion through all media outlets. The picture painted is not the actual experience at that hospital. In defense of the hospital, this is the sign of our times. Genuine caring and genuine human experience is lost. At every level of management there is concentration on acquiring every health care dollar available.
Pros
helping patients.
Cons
work load and expectations are unreasonable, much like an assembly line.

4.3