Williams-Sonoma, Inc.

Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Employer Reviews

Great brand, tough place to work
Buyer - Pottery Barn Catalog & Ecommerce (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: great brand
Cons: overworked
While this is a good place for career advancement and to put on your resume, the day to day is overwhelming. Benefits are not competitive and work-life balance is not considered.
productive place to advance to next level fast
Picker/Ics operator/lead (Former Employee), olive branch, msMarch 24, 2015
i starte doff at williams sonoma as a picker then in the next month or so i was moved to being a ics operator which was the person who order products for the pickers to pick for customers. then i became lead due to my attitude and proformance
The typical workplace. not a happy place, just come to work and work.
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee), Olive Branch, MSMarch 22, 2015
Pros: got off most of the time to get dinner ready for my family.
Cons: delima waking at 3 to be at work at 4
Very productive workplace where management demanded that if you were on the clock you need to be working.
I started working in management as a lead.
Coworkers were hardworking people.
The hardest part of the job was juggling work and family and going to sleep to be at work at 4am.
Best part of the job was that every day there was a new day always something different.
Work
Culinary Expert (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMarch 19, 2015
Williams-Sonoma is a great company to work for. If you have a passion for the culinary arts or even just enjoy retail work this is the place for you.
Very good place to work for
Loader/Picker (Former Employee), Olive Branch, MSMarch 17, 2015
Very professional and organized establishment. I learned the true meaning of teamwork here. My experience there sharpened my teamwork and work ethics.
Not a good place to work, especially if you are management.
Visual Manager ASM (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 14, 2015
Pros: excellent team, the best in retail
Cons: upper management will not hear your concerns.
The workload on a manager in this company is the worst I have ever experienced. The expectations are so high and the amount of hours given is so low. God forbid you should have a GM who is a little disorganized because your work life balance will be non existent. I was the Visual Manager at my store. My typical day was coming in seeing a store that was not closed properly the night before and having to push back all the tasks I had ready for my staff to do, iso that I could get the store ready for opening. While helping my crew recover the store, I had to stop about 20-25 min before opening to race through opening procedures reading emails and scanning through any recent price changes that might have occurred without warning. During the week there is a promo sheet in which you are supposed to not only change the prices on many items but also disassemble some displays to build new ones on the same payroll you would have during a normal opening. Twice sometimes three times a year you are required to repaint walls in the store with no added payroll. Here is the part about the GM being organized. The GM has to play with the regular hrs he is given to run the store to give you your floor set hrs. No extra hours are given for floor sets. Floor sets are to be done throughout maybe a week and a little before store opening and a little while the store is open so that the visual team can also help customers to save on payroll. The visual team most time includes just the Visual Manager and 2 visual team members. The visual manager is usually the opening manager when it comes to floor sets – more... so as soon as those doors open he or she is dedicated to running the store and helping with little tasks for the floor set. Usually one person is scheduled to open. God forbid again that there be more than 2 customers in the store asking for help because you will never be able to continue tasking the floor set. Then of course there is lunches and breaks. Did I also mention that during the week of the floor set closing managers feel the need not to close the store down properly. I can't blame them too much though because it was probably just the manager and one or two associates closing the store down. Stores that are huge. At least the ones in So. FL are. Expect maybe the Lincoln Road store. That one is half or even a quarter of the size the rest of the So. FL stores are. Did I forget to mention THERE ARE NO CASHIERS? The two sales people you have on the floor are supposed to help customers and then ring them up. If there is more than two customers in the store at the same time what is a manager to do?

1. Ring on another register (wrong)
2. Help customers in the store while leaving the front door unwatched. (wrong)
3. Stay in the front greeting customers while trying to explain and not to point from the front of the store where the item is (ugh...so wrong)
4. Bring out the one stock associate to ring (wrong). At times there was not a stock associate scheduled.

Before I started working there I would have easily picked number 4, but after having angry customers call the store asking for a manger from the pick up area so they can chew your ear off about the amount of time they have waited for their furniture, I know that is the wrong choice. Now you have an angry customer, and you have left the front of the store empty with no greeter and no theft deterrent.

There is no real answer to that question.

One person in the stock room lol. Mind you, at times this one poor unfortunate soul is loading a whole dining table, desk, more than one dining chair, 8x10 rugs into a car. While trying to organize and place similar pieces of furniture that came on the morning shipment into the correct place within the stockroom.

Did I also mention the store ships out lots of merchandise so the morning stock team has to, and I use the term "stock team" loosely because there was only two in my store (a male stock associate and a female shipper receiver), wrap then pack the ship out items into boxes at some point between truck and stocking the sales floor? I had a team of about 6 stock associates at the same time in a similar volume retail clothing store without the ship out process.

I don't know who these happy managers are that are writing glowing reviews, but they are either lying or chewing on some amazing happy pills.

The two things I enjoyed more than anything else was my team and my coworkers because despite everything we still had smiles on our faces. We muscled through it.

If you don't believe this review ask for the associate opinion survey in your interview and watch your future DM's face melt into a puddle of embarrassment on the floor or wait and pick it up on your first day. – less
Excellent products and concepts
Chef / Instructor (Former Employee), The WoodlandsMarch 12, 2015
Lots of work for the compensation. Loved the customers though they made it everything fun. Cooking classes were stressful =, but had a lot of fun with clients.
Productive place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: 40% off products, good people
Cons: limited help
A typical day at work is not bad. You place orders and make returns. I learned how to place different types of orders. Management was good at keeping the employees up to date on changes. Co-workers were nice. The hardest part of the job is trying to fix someone else's mistakes. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Prodictive and Easy going work place
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), Katy, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: free breaks and long lunches
Cons: no room for advancement
I work very long hours to make sure everything stays a flow. I love my manager he his one of the best I have had yet. My co-worker are also awesome. The hardest part of the job is working so many hours and knowing you will not get a promotion in even 2 yrs. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we have a good time at work.
Great place to work.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: the knowledge, great staff, excellent products.
Cons: not enough hours.
Everyone there is very friendly and knowledgeable. I believe it is because of that fact that it is hard to advance in the company. No one wants to leave. So, if you are not in the management field, you are part-time.
productive
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Farmington, CTFebruary 21, 2015
always satified the costumer.love working with a diverse crowd.pays well.learn how to problem solve and fast thinking
Long into the AM hours
Quality Assurance Clerk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: pay, incentives, weekends off
Cons: the hours
The position was seasonal, the job wasn't challenging or physically stressful. The hardest part was standing in one spot for 12 or more hours. The highlight for me was the ability to cross-train.
Great employee discount
Full Service Rep (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: free lunch on special days
Cons: no support from leads
The job wasn't so bad, but you got little to no support from the
"leads" they were impossible to get on the phone, and don't ever walk up to there desk,!! The response I got more than once was I know you didn't just walk up here.
They all acted so friendly during training but boy did that change.
My position was seasonal and I was glad it ended.
Money is ok if you work the split shift, and lots of over time during the peak times if you want it.
I don't think the money was worth getting yelled at on the phone and
getting called all kinds of nasty names.
Fun Place for inspiration.
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Manhattan Beach, CAFebruary 14, 2015
If you're one who loves to cook, this place is definitely a good start. I enjoyed working around all of the cooking supplies and bake ware. I found myself inspired often, whenever it came to just working within the relaxed and very homely atmosphere. It was a comfortable environment with friendly faces.
The work is fairly easy, and the pay is descent.
Full time worker (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 12, 2015
A typical work day for me is usually about ten hours. While working here i have learned a few things. i have learned how to be more of a peoples person from dealing with all of the different races. i also learned how to be autonomous. i had a team of guys that i had to micro manage from time to time. Usually if i give clear directions, they follow them accordingly. The hardest part sometimes, is for me is to have to drive so far to get to work.The part i enjoy the most is getting the job done correctly the first time.
Fun Place for Culinarily Inclined
Stock Associate (Former Employee), White Plains, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits, long breaks
Cons: hard to advance due to corporate
With high-end cooking appliances and a somewhat knowledgeable cooking clientele, you need to make sure your facts are straight when talking to the customers but the rest staff is more than helpful in showing you the ropes
Great Product Great Discount
Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 10, 2015
The most memorable part of the job was having the opportunity to meet and have my picture taken with Chuck Williams on my 10 work anniversary!
Tense and high strung then boring and lifeless with yelling added in.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: 40% off employee discount
Cons: no benefits, short breaks, long hours, managers yelling
When I first got to Williams sonoma they didn't show me the ropes of anything and I was constantly confused and needed to learn everything on my own. While in the process of learning all the new things around me and how I get around I would get yelled at a lot by the managers on the floor, even if I was helping out a customer.
Working For Williams Sonoma
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: shopping, extra hours
Cons: short breaks
Coming in, I would make sure my station was clean, I have all the Williams-Sonoma brand magazines next to me, and by the time it was time to clock in, I was answering phone calls. As a sales associate, I helped the customer shop around the sites or in the catalog, then when they were ready to check out, I created an order for them, placed it, and gave them an order number to call back on if they had any questions. The hardest part of the job was using my customer service skills to deescalate a call, the enjoyable part was being able to shop with the customers and be excited right along with them.
Sales (Current Employee), Palm Desert, CAFebruary 3, 2015
I work here during the holiday season and keep the shelves stocked. It's quite a challenge to do that and keep up with the customers' requests and the daily shipments.

1 2 3 4 5

About Williams-Sonoma, Inc.

Epicureans are at home at Williams-Sonoma, a leading multi-channel retailer of high-end goods for well-appointed kitchens, bedrooms, – Read more

Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Salaries