Williams Scotsman Employee Reviews

Management continues to make the same mistakes over and over..
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 24, 2017
I started work at WS in 2007 as a lead Tech. Every 2 years like clockwork the area business model will change and layoffs ultimately come soon after.
At the branch level you could not ask for a better group of people to work with but at the executive level its pure chaos. The business model shift every second of every day with no defined process in place.
Executives do not make effective decisions as they only concern themselves with climbing the ladder and impressing whoever will be responsible for their next promotion.
When developing new procedures, management never collaborates with the personnel that the procedure affects causing severe breakdowns.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Corporate politics
Applier beware
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  North Eastern USFebruary 15, 2017
The management knows very little on how to effectively manage, no micro managing is not the answer. Constantly getting rid of the wrong people. Under paying employees for what's expected and over paying for Temps. There is a huge lack in professional training especially in HVAC and electrical. Work life balance is non existent. Treated like your a child. Company preaches safety and yet still makes employees work in unsafe environments unnecessarily. Leadership is more apt to write you up or get you fired than to help you. No give or take just take, and what have you done for me lately. Won't hire new people to keep up with production. I will say though the people you work right next to everyday become family and help each other out in anyway.
Pros
Mostly english speaking, learn alot (what to do and what not to)
Cons
Pay, management, over safety orriented, wont take advice and hire more people to keep up with production, lack of proper training
Good company to work for
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Medford, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Overall good company to work for but the management is lacking and unprofessional. They are merging and there is a great deal of uncertainty. They also reduced the commission plan a great deal!
Great company
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJSeptember 6, 2016
Great place to learn new skills about carpentry and assembalening good hours fast paist job good location close to public transportation but some of the workers are rude and lazy who will disrespect you in another langude
Pros
good pay
Cons
not enough english speakers
Chaos Headquarters
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Henderson, COJuly 13, 2016
It's not what you know, it's who you know around there. Supervisors supervising people on jobs that they don't know how to do themselves. Management telling employees that they have to share hotel rooms to save the company money so they can blow hundreds and hundreds of dollars partying. Supervisors telling employees to haul illegal and dangerous loads, stating that they done it a thousand times in other locations so it must be o.k. Being fired for refusing to participate in such activities. Worst place I've ever worked with the absolute least qualified management I've ever seen!
Pros
Money
Cons
Way too many to list
unsafe place
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 23, 2016
worked with out of date machines that were unsafe and had issues every day. very unclean and racist coworkers. management was never around to resolve any issues that needed to be taken care of.
Pros
Cons
unsafe work environment
This is a wonderful Site
Design Manager (Former Employee) –  Dacula, GAMay 22, 2016
Develop and negotiate contracts and fee proposals with clients and consultants.
Develop space and needs studies, site designs, and develop preliminary project concepts and master plans. Residential Design Concept to Construction Doc’s Coordinate, manage design and construction documents.
Coordinate work of project teams, administer/observe construction, track production costs, and perform job site inspections.
Manage multiple deadlines, attend client meetings and presentations.
Pros
Great Place
Cons
there are no Cons
Challenging, Fun
Fleet Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Perris, CAMarch 5, 2016
Day at work; Get in early make sure production lines and material were ready for the work day, inspect units, pick out and bring units to production line, estimate costs, time and materials needed.

What Learned; Safety, Lean Practices, think outside the box on projects.

Management: The Area and Service managers were supportive.

Co-Workers; Got along with them no problems, they understood where I stood on company policies.

Hardest Part of the Job; Letting temporary employees go.

Enjoyable part of the job; Being at work.
Pros
Employee incentives to do better.
Cons
nothing comes to mind.
good place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 2, 2016
Very good job to work at. Not temperature controlled.You are mostly outside, so if its cold your cold.If its hot your hot.
Good Company / Inept Management
SERVICE MANAGER/DISPATCHER/AREA LEAD ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 9, 2015
While the company as a whole is very strong, there were several policies and practices in place from upper management that did not benefit the company at certain branch levels.

I really enjoyed my time at Williams Scotsman. My job was good, the people I worked with were okay, and the benefits could not be beat.

However, there is short fuse when it comes to terminating the wrong people. Managers would visit the branch maybe twice a year and would make poor judgement calls based on loose information.
Pros
Great benefits
n/a
Lead Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 17, 2015
I enjoyed working there, each day was filled with different things to learn and experience. I learned more customer service skills, the training was very beneficial
Good work place
Service Technician, Electrician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 17, 2015
I learned a lot from Williams Scotsman, good working environment and very safe. I was a electrician but, i was not limited to electric work. learned how to modify buildings to a customers requests.
Pros
safe working environment
Cons
short breaks
Very tense working environment
Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJAugust 6, 2015
This company has potential to be a very good company to work for and although I have encountered some very nice people while working there, management as well as higher ups could be very rude to the employees which cause a tense working environment that reminded employees of no sense of job security.
Benefits
Cons
Ongoing ethic issues
Strict company
technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX.August 5, 2015
Daily safety and production meetings, a high pace environment. For the most part the production and sales teams are great but the lack of leadership affects the work place. There's a high turn over rate for managers.
Yard tech (Former Employee) –  orlandoJuly 9, 2015
a typical day at work was fun love my job
Did a lot of demolition
got a lot of building experience
have to be able to work without supervision
management
Productive fun team.
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  OrlandoJune 22, 2015
For the most part,inside sales is a close and productive group.
We try to have as much fun as possible while still maintaining a productive work day.
I really enjoy communicating with my customers but wish I had more face to face interaction with them.
My co-workers are incredible and willing to share any knowledge that has been passed down to them.
I wouldn't call it a secure work environment as there have been a lot of cuts made in the past couple of weeks. It is a great company to work for and learn from. I have been very fortunate to have such a strong team behind me.
Pros
Uncapped Commission
Cons
unorganized training process.
Very busy Branch
Service Coordinator / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 18, 2015
Very busy branch, fast paced, ever changing situations, One of the largest branches in the Company. Keeps you on your toes.
steady/ safe work place
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Christiana, TNJune 12, 2015
busy, fun, productive, physically demanding, somewhat organized, and a good people friendly job. loved the crew, just wasn't for me, too far of a drive and too far away from home.
run
Lead Service Technician (Former Employee) –  kearny njApril 6, 2015
just run, micro management and poor leadership is a daily reminder that no one takes responsibility for their actions and pushes the blame to lower management thus setting them up for failure
Pros
people
Cons
upper management
High Paced and Rewarding Work environment.
Outside Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2015
Great people who work closely together to achieve a common goal. Learned a lot about being a consultative sales executive.

Most enjoyable aspect of the job is the number of different individuals whom you would meet along the way, from an array of different industries and market segments.

Hardest part of the job would be the consistent turnover of co-workers.