Willis-Knighton Health System

Willis-Knighton Health System Employer Reviews

Treat your employees how you would want to be treated
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Shreveport, LAApril 4, 2014
Pros: pay is decent, nice raises every couple years
Cons: not enough staff, patients suffer.
You definitely have to know someone to advance. More often than not there are not enough nurses. Patients have to wait for assistance when they call because their nurses are busy.
Too many new nurses, and they act like they don't want to touch their patients - getting into this career for the wrong reasons.
Pay is ok. You couldn't pay me enough to work – more... a medical unit at LSU/University Health. – less
RN
RN, Charge Nurse at Willis-Knighton Health System (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAFebruary 15, 2014
Cons: poor treatment of nurses
the very worst place that I've ever worked in a 30 year nursing career. Unless you "know" someone, don't ever expect to advance in this place. They treat their nurses horribly!
Excellent place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJanuary 8, 2014
Willis-Knighton Health System's main focus is the health and well-being of the patients they serve. Patients always come first; but their employees are a very close second. WKHS takes care of their employees with excellent benefits, incentives and employee appreciation making all of us feel like a family.
WKHS has over 100 physician clinics and all – more... clinics follow the same policies and procedures. The patients know what to expect when going to any clinic in the system and know they will be treated very well.
I worked in two clinics in the system; a family practice office and an ENT office. Both are very busy, fast-paced work environments. Working closely, day to day with patients and their families taught me patience and humility. I also learned to manage my time well. I had to get my job done while always being available to help my employees or the patients at any time.
A large part of my day involved billing and collections. The hardest part of that was not being able to help someone because of their financial situation. I always worked with them as much as I could or referred them to someone who might be able to help.
I enjoyed seeing a patient come in for a follow-up after treatment or surgery and feeling better, or being able to help our elderly patients afford hearing aids.
I loved all of the people with whom I worked; doctors, nurses, supervisors, and those from other departments who I only knew by their voice on the phone. My supervisors were very supportive and always had an open-door policy if I ever needed any help.
I loved going to work every day. – less
Department Director shows favoritism and nepotism runs wild!
Coordinator (Current Employee), NorthJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: getting paid
Cons: until the president and his favorites are gone, things will never change
Department Director is more concerned with hiring family members and making sure her "yes" people are taken care of than those of us that work hard. She promotes based on who are favorites are and not based on work performance. She does not keep things confidential and likes to have her employees fighting. She has run several really good employees out – more... of our dept. – less
All in all a nice place to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), LAMarch 28, 2013
Pros: employment
Cons: no place to advance unless you have a degree, capped after my first 18 months.
I enjoyed most of my years there how ever without a degre it is not a advancement friendly environment no matter how good you ar at your job.
Pleasant, fast pace environment
Coordinator (Current Employee), Shreveport, LAMarch 19, 2013
Pros: drug reps bringing lunch, our physicians buy lunch on their clinic day, healthcare benefits, work till 5pm only one day a week, 4 days a week off at 4:30pm
Cons: phones not on service during lunch, advancement into management is difficult, learning that a patient has past, rescheduling patients
A typical day at work involves many, many paper charts, numerous phone calls (incoming & outgoing), writing up hospital consults and handling them properly and multiple other general office duties. Each day, pathology reports, lab reports and other medical records are received via, fax or mail. Each of these items has to be placed on top the patient's – more... chart for the physician to sign. Charts could be found in numerous places which means it can take quite a bit of time to find each one. This office is a fast pace environment and requires stamina for a busy 8 hour day, proper time management and flexibility for change. It also consists of spending the day with co-workers that are a pleasure to work with, who can laugh, make jokes and have a genuine respect for each other. Also, a typical day would not be typical without our patients. Each one is as important as the next, however, they feel their need is priority and we handle our patients as such, to the best of our ability while taking into consideration the sense of urgency.
At Gynecologic-Oncology Associates, I have learned valuable information about women's health. Also, I have learned more patience and compassion for those in need of medical attention.
Management at this clinic is A+. Our manager trusts each of us to do our jobs correctly and efficiently without micromanaging. She is very pleasant and is a part of what makes our workplace a place that you can look forward to going to each day.
Co-workers at Gyn-Onc are also very pleasant and enjoyable to be around on a daily basis. Everyone is even tempered, shows support and professionalism with the patients as well as each other and employees at other clinics.
The hardest part of my job is multitasking. However, I am able to multitask by answering a multi-line phone and addressing the question or comment, while checking in a patient for their appointment, while collecting their co-pays, posting it and completing the check in process in our computer program. The task I enjoy least is verifying insurance online. The reason it is the least favorite part of my job is because many times, the web site is down that I use to verify it or the information on the card is different than the information online which then leads to verifying the amount paid at past visits. Can mean triple work for one result.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to contribute to a person's health and well being by making their lives a bit easier just going the extra mile or by even a small task that was completed on their behalf. Also, I do enjoy the computer process from adding a new patient to the system, posting monies collected for the day and posting charges when my manager asks. Lastly, I have to mention the little ole ladies that just want someone to listen and talk with them. I love the stories they tell and the how they begin their question with relevance to their situation and end up talking about something that happened 20 years ago.
Working in the public can be as demanding and taxing as it is rewarding and satisfying. As with any workplace, relationship or decision, with the bad comes the good. It is the good that keeps me where I am, healthcare. – less
good
Housekeeping, Rehab Tech, Transport Tech (Former Employee), Shreveport, LASeptember 14, 2012
love work there.good time. co-work.the management, and the benefits.
Excellent structure
Clinic Trouble-Shooter and Manager Trainer (Current Employee), Over 50 clinicsMay 31, 2012
My typical day at work was structured around the clinic environment. Each day was different in a different place each day.