Willow Valley Communities Employee Reviews

Very warm place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 15, 2017
A great place to work, very warm and comfortable atmosphere. Dealing with the retired redisdents is the best part of the whole job in itself. I worked here while in high school and it was an awesome place to work.
Productive and fun workplace
Hostess/Buffet Server (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 31, 2017
The only negative thing I can say about this place is that they employed a lot of young people (i.e. high schoolers and college students). Free meals and alright pay.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Short breaks, call offs
Overall
Pantry Aid (Former Employee) –  Willow Street, PAMay 3, 2017
There was always a lot of hours to pick up so if you needed extra money for that week it was easy to get. The staff was never a dull moment something was always happening. This position allowed you to interact with the kitchen as well as the residents that lived there.
Pros
Weekly pay
stable job
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Willow Street, PAApril 7, 2017
stable job, but the longer you work their the less you get paid in the long run. They will over work you and take advantage of you, and you will not see an increase in pay until your yearly review which you can only expect to receive a 3% or less increase in your wage no matter how hard you have worked. Many people are leaving this complany as they are not willing to pay their employee very well. You can work their for 20 years and still be under $20.00 an hr just to put in perspective. Most people will work here just to get the experience and leave,
lovely work environment, great coworkers, continuing education opportunities
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willow Street, PAApril 1, 2017
I enjoyed working at Willow Valley and learned alot there. Co-workers were great and departments were well equipped especially at the cultural fitness center, pool and o/p clinic. However, they could have been more competitive in regard to wages.
Pros
birthday recognition, cont.. education, bonus at Christmas from residents
Cons
not enough compensation for work experience
rewarding
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 14, 2017
The residents are great! nursing staff, wonderful! Training is great.You're kept busy the whole shift because you take care of all the needs of the residents. I loved it!
Pros
whole environment
Cons
pay
Beautiful place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 7, 2017
A day at work can be very up and down there are some very nice people that work here and making friends is easy but I don't suggest it. There are many cliques on different floors. The day work is very demanding, and very fast paced. The night work is not fast paced but the residents are very demanding. The culture is totally white upper class if you are not into being overly nice to people do not work here.
Pros
Free use of the gym and the pool
Cons
Residents are all white there are no multi cultures
Fun place to meet new people and also a great place to hear some awesome stories.
Cook 1 (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 14, 2017
I would give this place 4 out of 5. Not overall hard at any of the many positions that I have held at this establishment. Supervisors were typically easy going and understand. Also the other team members there made it a real group effort at times.
Pros
One free meal a day, paid half hour break
Cons
work every other weekend and holiday
Awesome job with flexible hours.
Menu Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Willow Street, PADecember 11, 2016
I love working at Willow Valley. I was a menu dining server and you become close with the residents and build trust with them. The managers are very flexible with shifts and will even hold your position is you have to go away to college.
Pros
Free dinners, flexible hours, benefits
Cons
Only 4 hour shifts, no piercings or visible tattoos
Great first job
Menu Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 22, 2016
This was my first job and it taught me a lot about working with people and handling money. The job had lots of friendly co-workers and it was fun to have scary props.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
if you are interested in job next year you may not have same manager, seasonal
A good place gone downhill
Culinary Server (Current Employee) –  Willow Street, PAApril 13, 2016
I use to look forward to going to work and working in a fun environment. Over the course of the last few years, this has changed drastically. The lazy are rewarded and promoted, while the hard workers get more assignments and no recognition. Management also doesn't seem to know what they are doing and are very "knee jerk" reactionary to any situation that arises. It is a job for in between stages of life, not a career.
Typical Nursing Job, however exceptional facility
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willow Street, PAMarch 24, 2016
Simply put, Willow Valley is a pretty mediocre place to work. The pay is far less than most nursing homes in the areas despite the fact that it is notorious for having residents in higher income bracket. Management was under experienced and not good at solving important problems.
Nice work place with great residents
Buffet Runner/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willow Street, PAMarch 14, 2016
Willow Valley is a good place to work if you enjoy a bit of a fast pace food service job. The work days that I experienced were fairly pleasant and rewarding. Some supervisors can be a bit overbearing when attempting to help but they mean well. The co workers are some of the best people I've worked with and it's never a dull day. Trying to keep up with the ever changing situations can be a bit stressful, like when the dishwasher broke down and we had to set bins all throughout the kitchen area, making it a hectic place to try to move safely through. The greatest part is knowing how much everyone there cares about you, from the supervisors to the residents and everyone in between.
Pros
Free breakfasts while on the clock, caring residents, team member appreciation week with snacks and fun activities
A nice work place to work at
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 20, 2016
Working at willow valley was a great time and I learned a lot about how to talk to people and practice my people skills. A typical day would be getting there and setting up the rooms for the night time. I worked with a good group of employees and it was good teamwork. The hardest part of the job was working with not enough people because employees would call off. The best part of the job is being with my residents and spending time with them.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Staffing issues
Rewarding place to work, let me tell you why....
Clinical Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 19, 2016
Willow Valley Communities is an excellent place to work. I have experienced many opportunities for personal and professional growth in my 6 years of employment as a Registered Nurse. I have been encouraged to work in areas that utilize my talents. I work as the Clinical Nurse Manager for our busy 58 bed rehabilitation and skilled care environment. The team challenges, which we welcome, are: frequent admissions, discharges, high medical aquity, and diverse nursing skills required depending on the needs of those we serve. Teamwork and servanthood is key and I witness this, at its best, regularly. Resident care and customer service standards are excellent. Willow Valley Communities often celebrate their team members with events and offer amenities for team members to enjoy with their families. The level of appreciation I feel at my job has surpassed all other employers in my 25 years in the medical feild. I feel honored to be part of the nursing team at Willow Valley Communities.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities, great working environment
Cons
Dealing with insurance company restrictions for resident care/needs
going out after work , very fun people.
Dishwasher/ Server (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 28, 2015
a typical day at willow will be me and others coming in at the same time , deciding who was gonna do what for the night. I learned how to keep every item with its own item and keeping things organize . Making sure every utensil was clean and spotless was very important aswell. I worked with a lot of people that was disable and I loved it . teaching them excited them . it took patients but it was very worth building good relationships.
Pros
Free Lunches .
Cons
Not enought hours avalible
Horrible place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  Willow Street, PAOctober 24, 2015
After reviewing the faciltiy, applying and orientation, I thought I hit the jackpot with Willow Valley. This having been my first nursing job out of school, I was thrilled about the benefits and facility in general despite the less than sub-par reality. Come to find out, this facility is a horrible work environment. The management overlooks tons of serious issues due to short staffing (a constant), but will hound you for something so ridiculous and minute you can't believe it's actually a problem. Not only are they short staffed every day, but employees are underpaid. The administration is selfish with their money and takes the employees for granted. They would rather have fresh paint on the walls (that were painted last month) than raise their employees pay/offer better benefits. Management is extremely unprofessional and they don't play by the rules (PENNSYLVANIA LAWS) in regards to conduct. Co-workers all seem to go behind your back just to get ahead, which, surely is the same anywhere you go, but the management listens to the hear-say of those co-workers rather than actually confronting a problem head on. Completely, and utterly disgusted with this facility and the people running it. Glad to be gone.
Work and Fun at Willow Valley Communities
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 10, 2015
Working at Willow Valley has been such a great experience for me. I've meet such great residents that have impacted my life in such a big way. A typical day for me involves coming in and prepping the food for the night. After that I prepare and serve the food to the servers who then take the food to the residents. The co workers and I all get along well. The hardest part of my job losing some of the residents. The best part of my job is getting to know the residents and being able to put a smile on their faces.
Productive and positive atmosphere
Menu Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Willow Valley, PAAugust 10, 2015
A typical day for me would be working in what we call the "Country Kitchen." From there, I would read menus to the residents and get them their drink and appetizers. The cook then gives them their entrees and I wait until they're finished to get them their desserts. Then I take away their dishes and clean them.
Pros
Free dinners, free lunches
Cons
Residents can often be rude
Poor Management
CNA (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 17, 2015
This company has a really nice facade. Once you work there, you find out that the residents are mistreated as well as the staff. Not only do the residents overpay for subpar accommodations, the staff is overworked and underpaid. Aside from that, the benefits are terrible. What kind of healthcare facility doesn't offer sick time? Reports of neglect and other types of abuse are overlooked because staffing is really that bad. It's no wonder though, because they want to keep all of the money they make for the higher ups and to pay off people so that the bad things about the company aren't published in the newspapers. (And yes, this has happened on a few occasions) Also, don't expect to get the money that you earned. They will come up with any reason to short you on your paycheck or just not pay you at all.
Pros
There is nothing good about this place.
Cons
Underpaid, Overworked, Disrespectful Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Willow Valley Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

Willow Valley Communities Reviews by Location