WILSON TOOL Employee Reviews

Progressive and influential work environment
Manufacturing Intern (Former Employee) –  Hugo, MNSeptember 1, 2016
Working at Wilson Tool was an all around good experience. They provided a quality and comforting work place. Through my experience with Wilson Tool I always felt like I was doing something to help push the company forward and maintain the precision ideals in my division. All in all I felt well managed and enthused to make a difference during my experience.
Pros
Inviting, conversational, laid back, well managed
Cons
I feel as if it may be hard to personally progress up through the company
Very great place to work
Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2017
Wilson Tool is one of the last great companies. Very great place to work. Pay is appropriate and coworkers are fantastic.
Great company
Janitor (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNFebruary 23, 2013
The benefits are outstanding. The support staff and coworkers are pleasant with a good work ethic.
Pros
good pay
Cons
work long hours.
Great work environment, few opportunities
Manager (Former Employee) –  White Bear LakeJuly 13, 2012
Wilson tool treats their people very well and very fairly. The work/life balance is excellent. Where they fail is in their lack of opportunities for advancement. It's a good old boys network from the VP's up and no real desire exists to let anyone join that group.
Pros
great and fair work environment
Cons
limited opportunities in management and no real vision for the company's future
Mid level managment is a mess.
Multipe titles, floor to office (Former Employee) –  Specials and standards, everywhereJune 26, 2015
This is a family owned company and as other reviews have stated many of the promotions are directly related to family. This is to be expected to a point but this company does not know when to admit they made a mistake. Some people are not leaders and people will not follow them and the group cannot come to grips with that. Worked there for over 15 years and had to leave due to the poor leadership. Many outstanding employees and not given the oppertunity to step up due to the internal management game. Great lean program due to the commitment and solid employee base. Pay is decent but you better be ready to show up and earn it. Poor vacation policy. You are forced to use vaction time when you are out sick and miss work. Promotions and moves are locked down tight. Must be in a specific position for a minimum of two years before you can transfer ( unless you are family). History of layoffs and they do have a large turn around rate. Mr Wilson has done allot for me and my family and am very greatfull but since he has walked away it is not about the emplyees anymore.
Pros
Head phones allowed on the work floor. Clean organized shop
Cons
Poor management, Poor vacation, Starting pay is low, money focus
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at Wilson Tool. I learned a ton and was given the opportunity to make an impact.
Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJanuary 4, 2016
I completed 5 main projects during my summer internship ranging from modeling parts to auditing manufacturing processes. I learned a lot about lean manufacturing practices and how a manufacturing environment operates from tracking parts in SAP to rearranging work stations to improve work flow.
Demanding yet good company to work for
Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNDecember 30, 2015
They offer a person the chance to thrive however they are very black and white about how they run the business. They have their set way to do business and insist that you be the same way.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Do not allow room for error
The best Company I Ever Worked For
Machinist (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MN 55110May 6, 2012
Wilson Tool is as good as it gets. From the day you enter the life as a Wilson Toolie, the opportunities are endless. The Managers at Wilson Tool treat you like a family; down to the supervisors that work with you in all capacities. If your lucky enough to have what it takes to work for this organisation, you won,t be disappointed.
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
none that i can think of
good company
Deburrer/driver/reciever (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 3, 2012
A good company to work for just at the time not enough work.I learned alot about deburring. management was good.my co-workers were good.
Horrible company with toxic culture going nowhere fast
Sales Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNOctober 21, 2014
This is by far the worst place I've ever worked. Managment from the top to the bottom was comically poor from almost every angle. Most of them have been with the company for decades and were promoted simply because someone was needed to fill their chair and they were next in line and because they were somebody's kid or friend, making most of them ridiculously unaware of business culture in the world at large, management best practices, philosophy, etc. Since most managers from the CEO down are nepotism/cronyism hires, there is little real accountability in the management structure, and a lot of people in made-up positions that don't really add any value to the company's operations. And even a lot of people filling essential positions are staggeringly dim and lazy, again obviously chosen for their loyalty instead of their competence.

The compnay's LEAN initiative has resulted in the use of Standard Work, a LEAN efficiency tool, being used to micromanage every last movement the employee makes, from grinding a part to getting coffee (not even kidding). This infantalization of the employee varies by department; mine was one of the worst and had a reputation for it. Many days I felt as though I were in kindergarten or something.

As mentioned by other reviewers, there is no real opportunity for advancement or growth, neither in position or knowledge. The founder's in-laws and grandkids are well-distributed throughout the company and always get promoted first. The company is not growing robustly, so new opportunities are not being created, unless you're one of the "chosen ones"
  more... and they want to create a position for you, which won't happen unless you're there for at least a decade. You won't learn much beyond the bare minimum required to do your job, because the people you work with are so lazy, uneducated, and in some cases blatantly incompetent that they can barely do their own jobs, much less teach others anything.

If you just need a job and can tolerate being micromanaged and having no potential for advancement, this place is probably OK for you. If you care about your career, steer clear of this place.
Pros
Generous pay for lower-level positions
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Good place brings good future and satisfied retirement
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNDecember 10, 2012
Good chance to work with variaties of machines.
Never out of work , tons of overtime is one thing that makes
workerholics happy always
very layed back workplace
CNC Micron grinder (Former Employee) –  Hugo, MNNovember 8, 2012
Very good supervisor and leadman. Allows you to learn different machines. Coworkers were very respectable and easy to get along with. Hardest part of the job was making sure all orders were complete on time.
A great "family business" with good all around benefits
Machinist (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNSeptember 9, 2012
I enjoyed the 13 years I worked there, just very sorry 3rd shift didn't work out for me and my family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WILSON TOOL. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8