Wimsatt Building Materials Employee Reviews

Sad company
Driver / Roof Loading Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MINovember 27, 2017
If you have nothing to go home to then this is the company for you. Trucks are always monitored with gps and all deliveries are timed based on computers, not realistic delivery times. They will hire 5 guys pay them like 6 and work them like 10.
Best job I've ever had
Roof loading specialist/Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIApril 25, 2017
Hands down, best job I've ever had. I can't speak for other branches, but Waterford was a great experience. Best boss I've ever had, really cares for his employees, even the ones out doing the grunt work. Had my back on many occasions. Management is great, including all the warehouse supervisors. Great work environment, everybody's a d1ck, but in the best possible way. Back breaking labor that's not too bad after a month or so, long summer hours, but no layoffs when the place is practically dead in the winter. They definitely care about their employees safety because I was let go after being caught once without my fall protection equipment, but it is what it is. Wear your gear. I will say the skills I gained there allowed me to find a new job within 45 minutes of being let go.
Pros
Good pay and large quarterly bonuses
Productive, fun, hardworking job
Roof loading specialist (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MIFebruary 28, 2017
Wimsatt is a great place to work. Money, management, and employees are all perks to the job. Fun, out in the sun summer work, but goes year round. The physical aspect of the job and treacherous rooftop loading made it a constant gut wrenching and fun job, kept you on your toes and always on the move.
Good company
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 24, 2017
It was a great company to work for. I didn't have any complaints. The management was good and it was a great atmosphere to work in. I never felt out of place.
Great company to work for except the hours one put's in
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MIDecember 22, 2016
Great company! They know what and how to support their sales people...always grooming the sales group with hands-on training, role playing and meetings. Management listened to concerns/issues from in the field.
Pros
Holiday turkeys and ham.
Cons
Hours required...6 days/wk every other week. Does not allow much for family.
Was a great employer until management turnover.
ROOFTOP DELIVERY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  MichiganDecember 13, 2016
This was wonderful place to work until there was quite a bit of management turnover. After that occurred, the culture changed.
Pros
Uniforms provided.
Cons
No work- life balance
Physically demanding but a great place to work.
Delivery Driver/roof loader (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MINovember 6, 2016
Not a lot of negatives to say about Wimsatt. They pay very well, offer benefits and there is room for advancement. You can't ask much more from a company to work for.
Great work environment
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  SaginawJuly 13, 2016
Good place to work. Hard work rewarded accordingly. Never work below 40 hours year round. Co-workers are great; great upper management.
Hard at times but rewarding for the right person
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 11, 2016
Secure full time work year round, which isn't common for labor up here in Traverse city. They want guys to move up but you have to be forward to them repeatedly to get it. Long hours in the summer and pretty hard on the body but it's a good place to start if your personal life isn't a large time commitment. They buy lunches for all the guys sometimes, too, and as long as you communicate with management here they are pretty easy to work with. Big improvements on pay/bonuses. Big differences between this branch and the ones downstate.
Pros
Free lunches, good training, lots of hours, decent health plan
Cons
10+ hour days often, little consistency in schedule, stressful
Fast paced office
Receptionist/Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MIMarch 6, 2015
I answered one of two main switchboards that came into the company. There were 25+ employees in this office and I had to figure out which department the caller needed to be transferred to in at very fast pace so the calls didn't back up. I learned a lot about building materials and how this business works. My co workers and management were great for the most part and I enjoyed going to work. I worked 10 hour days 5 days a week. I also did a lot of filing and small projects for different departments but my main job was switchboard. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to so many different people and having to be happy and friendly since I was the first person the callers dealt with. There really wasn't a hardest part but if I have to put something I would say having to keep pace with the fast pace of answering phone calls and completing the small projects I was given but I actually like the fast pace.
Pros
challenging fast paced office setting
Cons
there really weren't any cons to this job
N/a
Roof Loading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIFebruary 2, 2015
job security, lots of hours, good pay, must be able to lift 50 plus lbs. summer hours are sometimes crazy, winters are slow.
Awful Management, Overworked, Under Appreciated
Roof Top Loader + Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MIDecember 16, 2014
Inside Management vs Outside Drivers/Warehouse. If you like working in a divided company who blames each other for mistakes and errors Wimsatt is the company for you. They lure you in with promises of getting your CDL, advancement with the company, and roof top bonus etc but it is all a scam. They will work you to the bone all summer long 60-70hrs/week(I was forced to work every Saturday for 30+weeks) and then fire you right before they have to pay out bonuses. Don't count on breaks or lunches! They will just deduct 30mins of pay every day you work over 7 hours (which is every day) whether you take a lunch or not.

What kind of reputable company makes employees pay for mis-deliveries or shipping errors? It doesn't end their, you can also expect to get written up for it.

This company is beyond messed up. I am so ashamed to have worked here I list a gap of work history rather than adding it to my resume'.
Pros
Money, Healthcare
Cons
Long Days, Employee Turnover, No Lunch
Job
Inside sales / Product specialist (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 27, 2014
Good employees. Fast paced environment. Good ownership. Good industry.
Very Fast Paced
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 19, 2013
Over the Top customer service, company is very military feeling. Lots of yelling
Pros
good pay
Cons
no breaks, long hours, lots of yelling
This job is based on overtime and overtime only. If you don't get over time you don't get a good pay.
Driver & Warehouse Personnel (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJune 2, 2013
Job security is minimum with very little work/life balance. Culture is low with little values. Great management. This is a very hard working job that doesn't pay for the physical work you put in.
Pros
Overtime pay
Cons
Physical labor doesn't add up to pay, dispatcher isn't very good, Corperate management isn't good

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wimsatt Building Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5