WinCo Foods

WinCo Foods Employer Reviews

The break room has flies in it
Cashier (Current Employee), West ValleyAugust 12, 2014
Pros: stock in the company after working for 6 years
Cons: disgusting break room, confusing rules, no one in management coordinates
They don't work too hard to make sure that the employee's are comfortable. The break room is dirty and has half a dozen flies buzzing around all the time. We aren't allowed to leave the store at break, so hanging out in the bathroom is what I've been doing to avoid the break room lately.

The customers are fun to work with, and make the day go by fast. – more... So that's good. – less
Productive and Comfortable Working Place
Variety Freight (Former Employee), Orem, UTAugust 9, 2014
The management is excellent as well as the co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers.
fast paced work inviroment
Deli worker frying chicken and customer service (Former Employee), Stockton, CAJuly 30, 2014
Pros: bennifets and raises
Cons: no advancment
start frying chicken, tend to customers, squeeze in prep work, then get ready to clean ant night
i learned how to manage customer service better
co-workers were nice people but would not want to help the front counter
the hardest part was maintain prep work and tend to customers
the best part was cleaning at night
good job
Customer-Service Clerk (Former Employee), Yuba City, CAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: loved going to my job
Cons: breaks are short
I loved go backs my favorite part of the day. Learned to be a better customer service worker and multi-tasker. Being cashier was a great job. Was able to meet alot of people in area and they recognize me constantly in town when I am out in public.
an ok work place with many issues.
freight clerk (Current Employee), Sparks, NVJuly 18, 2014
Pros: good crew, fun co-workers
Cons: over worked. too much stress. unfair management.
A normal day for me is clocking in and getting right to work. I learned how to deal with customers, and how to be neater than I was. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the management, and being over worked.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 18, 2014
Pros: the hours and benefits
Cons: the freezer
I worked in the freezer where I made sandwiches, pizza, and dinner entrees. I learned how to correctly santize surfaces and floors.
Customer Service and, lot of baking. Watching sales. Working as a team
Bakery Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: heatlh ins. is great
Cons: they make you fell like they own you
It is a great place to work if you do not have children. Before I had a family . It was the best place to work. Travel and, always learing. I enjoyed it. But once I was not able to move are travel as much. I was no longer need.
great place
Maintenance Manger (Former Employee), Hillsboro, ORJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good health care
Made the store was cleaned and worked with other departments
well
Daily life as a clerk
Deli/Seafood Clerk (Current Employee), Coeur d'Alene, IDJuly 11, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: point system that can hinder an advancing attitude, hard work
Busy and fast pace environment that is constantly on the go.

I have learned the ins and outs of both deli and seafood to operate within each department to satisfy a customer's needs.

I have been given an opportunity to learn management responsibilities and have been shown what an MIT or manager in training would be expected to know and learn before – more... becoming a manager for the company. I am not currently a member of management nor am I in the MIT program.

My co-worker in the deli/seafood department varies widely from young to old and from seasoned employees to first timers.

The hardest part of my job is trying to keep a balance of time divided between departments and working out supplies to both when needed. Trying to ensure the floor has items stocked for customers and keeping the departments stocked with supplies during any given day of the week.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to work with customers and learning new skills on a daily basis. Finding ways to improve towards being more efficient in customer service, operating the departments, expediting product to the floor, and organizing the storage room for easier access to supplies. – less
very busy store with hard working employees
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Woodruff, IDJuly 7, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, and e.s.o.p.
Cons: having to work late nights and holidays
stock dairy, end caps, sale merchandise & other fast moving merchandise. cashier when needed, price checking & clean-up spills.
run forklift & power jacks. place dairy orders using telxon scanner.
learned to run fork lift and place orders.
Manager was mostly professional, but some favoritism did happen.
Co workers were mostly hard working and friendly.
the – more... hardest part of job was working late shifts and holidays.
the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and helping customers. – less
Fun place with good people.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: knowing how to tell the difference between good and bad fruit and vegetables.
Cons: when the warehouse is low on the top selling fruits and vegetables.
Most days at work consist of a lot of customer service ,and making sure all inventory is stocked up for customers. My co-workers are very helpful when it gets busy and go the extra mile to help out. The most enjoyable part is being able to interact and help the customers.
Fun environment
All -Purpose Clerk (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: decent hours and steady work
Cons: mainly management and sometimes lack of communication between sections
Typical days were fast-paced and busy. I learned how to deal with produce and frozen foods by grocery store standards. Working with my co-workers was both very helpful and fun. It was very easy to make friends with fellow employees. Management, however, needed drastic improvement. They were very unorganized and had difficulties dealing with employees. – more... The hardest part of the job is just getting started. The most enjoyable part is that there is always a task to be completed. – less
Not a Good Place to Work
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 24, 2014
Pros: a job.
Cons: everything else.
WinCo is unfortunately not a very good place to work. This is despite the fact that the company goes out of its way to suppose otherwise. When I was hired the was a lot of hurrah about how great the company was and how they are dedicated to their employees' needs. I found the truth was to the contrary.

The biggest problem is the management. The majority – more... of my co-workers were great people that I genuinely enjoyed being around. Managers, however, are cold, distant and often times rude. It's difficult to do your job correctly when you have three different people telling you three different way of doing a job.

Departments are chronically understaffed and overworked. The managers use the fact that there are occasional down weeks–in terms of customers–to justify keeping all the departments to the smallest number of people humanly possible. This means you will be working at break neck speeds for your entire shift just trying to keep up with the basic demands of your job. But this leaves no time for the extra-curricular work that management expects you to complete.

In other words, imagine the scene about "Flair" from the movie Office Space; that's basically what working at WinCo is like. If you do your job and clock in and clock out on time you're just doing the "bare minimum," which, even though it's your job description, is somehow unacceptable to management.

I worked at WinCo for a little over a year and found myself dreading it every day I went in. I knew was going to have to practically kill myself to meet the unrealistic demands they lord over you. Maybe some people enjoy that: going in and working every day till they almost die. I don't. I need the occasional "slow" day just to keep my sanity and not feel like a mindless automaton.

Additionally:

- hours are terrible, all over the place and so unpredictable you cannot go to school or maintain a social life; case in point, after getting 40+ hours a week for eight months I changed my schedule around to better accommodate some classes at the local community college and was dropped down to 15-20.

- managers don't seem to care if you live or die; there's no personal connection to you whatsoever.

- security watches you like a hawk, waiting for you to mess some little thing up so they can fire you for it.

- in general the company culture and policy seems to be one that favors quick turnover; they do not want employees sticking around and obviously look for ways to eliminate them.

The way that the "point" system functions seems to be a method towards this goal. You earn points even if you're sick and get a valid note from a doctor–two for a tardy, three for an absence. Nine points in a three month period is grounds for dismissal. Meaning that if you get a serious, unexpected illness of any kind you're done for, no matter how long you've worked there or what kind of worker you are.

Also, some of the managers seemed to purposefully foster dislike between departments. My department, grocery, was often pitted against the freight crew, who were told by one of the assistant managers that we (the grocery crew) were basically lazy idiots. While we in the grocery crew were told by one of the LC's from another store that the freight crew at our store was so bad that a lot of what we were responsible for was supposed to be done by freight.

Essentially WinCo is not an honest company that tries to squeeze every last drop of blood from their employees for the absolute minimum amount of money possible.

My advice to anyone interested in working there is to look at it as a temporary gig. Do your best because it will help with references, but continuously look for employment elsewhere while employed by them. – less
good pay and benfits friendly enviorment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJune 23, 2014
Pros: good pay and benfits friendly enviorment
Cons: too much pressure on completing assignments
Palletize orders, stock inventory, House keeping, organize orders, load trucks.
Very fun place to work.
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee), Puyallup, WAJune 21, 2014
I loved the atmosphere. The customers were very friendly and talkative. Everyone I worked with was very nice and into there job.
My experience at WinCo Foods
Cashier (Current Employee), Fontana, CAJune 16, 2014
Pros: great employees, clean workplace, great experience
Cons: short breaks, not enough hours
Normally busy on the weekends, holidays, and the beginning of the month. Dealing with Food-Stamps every beginning of the month bringing in customers with large quantities of groceries. Hardest part of the job is trying not look at the clock and trying to get into scanning groceries. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling a little bit in control, – more... and meeting new people. – less
Great work enviornment
Frieght (Former Employee), Independence, ORJune 16, 2014
It was a great place to work. The environment was fast pace energetic place. Co-workers were welcoming and outgoing.
a great place to work
All Purpose Clerk (Current Employee), Springfield, ORJune 16, 2014
Pros: alot of good people work there
Cons: few great people work there
Winco provided me with a lot of opportunities for advancement and i was sad to leave it
managment
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Kent, WAJune 15, 2014
not enough hours and absolutely no opportunity for advancement
work palce
Pizza Clerk (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJune 13, 2014
Pros: helping customes
Cons: attitude in the workplace
always good with customers very energetic team player i'm very flexible and im always keeping a smile on customers face and i feel like any job where you have to help others they always come first.

1 2 3 4 5

About WinCo Foods

WinCo Foods isn't just big on self-service -- it's giant. Inside the immense stores (average size is 92,000 sq. ft.) of this mostly – Read more