Winder Farms Employee Reviews in United States

Great company, great products, great service
Sales/HR (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 9, 2016
Winder Farms is a great company and a great place to work.

Like any company, there are many different positions at Winder Farms. Some are more challenging than others.

Door to door sales is a hard job, no matter who you work for. Winder Farms has a guaranteed training pay and a very generous commission structure during training and after. Yes, like any job, there is a learning curve. If you are self-motivated and self-disciplined, you will thrive and make a very comfortable living, as several very long-term sales reps will testify.

The management are truly good, caring people who want good things for their employees and the company.

Winder Farms is big enough to be solid and small enough to feel like family.
Pros
Stable, benefits, rewarded for results, family feel, company you can be proud of
Horrible Employer
Employee (Former Employee) –  UtahSeptember 22, 2015
This company has no regard for the safety of it's employees. You will never have a reliable vehicle to perform your daily work duties. If you find anything wrong with your work vehicle, the company's answer will be "drive it until it breaks down."
Also, the company's "benefits" are some of the worst you will ever see but Winder will encourage you to buy in because it gives Winder Farms a discount on their coverage if everyone participates!
The pay compensation for employees is so complicated, you will never know the amount of your paycheck until it is in your bank account. There are multiple factors to the pay scale that you have absolutely NO control over. Not to mention a drop in pay every 6-8 months, all while working more hours along the way (average of 55 hours a week). Don't forget, you don't get holidays off at Winder Farms, or on the chance you do such as Christmas, Thanksgiving or New Years Day, you will work on Saturday to make up for the "time off."
Pros
Affordable Winder Farms products
Cons
Varying Pay, Unsafe Work Conditions, Extremely Long Hours, Work most major Holidays, Horible Benefits Package
Great job if thats all your looking for
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  WVCFebruary 8, 2016
I really enjoyed the work, I worked graveyards delivering milk and food products to the front porch of homes. The best part was that there was never anyone looking over your shoulder telling you what to do, you were to some degree your own boss.A bad part was that you would get docked pay if you didn't finish all of your deliveries by 8 am. and meet the required 15 stops per hour. My co-workers were friendly, there wasn't much gossip. The pay over the years has decreased and the work load has increased. all drivers get 10.00 per hour. but with all of the hours the over time really helps. I worked about 11-12 hours per day. 115-125 hours per pay period was common for my routes. There was a bonus based on several calculations, but I never understood how it worked. Some paydays the bonus was decent and others it wasn't. for me it was a shot in the dark. Your working outdoors so the temps in winter can be -5 degrees in winter and during summer it can be in the 80's at night, so you get to spend 50-60 hours a week in these conditions. fall and spring is the best and be prepared to drive in winter storms, chaining up your tires is common. Vacation pay is the only benefit they offered me, but it was at a reduced wage than I normally get, so taking vacation was hard financially, plus it was getting hard to get anyone to cover your route. so there were times they would say you can take the week off, but you have to be on "call back". meaning you couldn't go anywhere. They took the 401 k match away several years ago. and I have seen the customer count decrease and the driving area  more... increase making it harder to achieve the 15 stops per hour. there are also 2 sizes of trucks small and large, the small trucks are harder to work out of and make it hard to maintain the 15 stops per hour while the bigger trucks are more accommodating and the drivers who are lucky enough to get these can obtain the 15 stops much easier. These are a few reasons I left. I really wish this company the best, I have been grateful for the opportunity, right now it just doesn't meet my needs and I look forward to learning a new skill  less
Pros
Very active, this job will keep you healthy
Cons
No pay increases, benifits are not that great
Sales, this is really sales?
Salws (Former Employee) –  SlcAugust 7, 2015
Winder Farms needs to take a step back & get with the times. You can definitely make money with this company but you are at the mercy of every person you sign up. You can sign up a new customer & everything seems great up front but peoples needs & wants change & you get the negative end of that story no matter what. There is no procedure (SOP) in place for anything.

They charge you for samples (which are key in solidifiy a deal) & charge you to go to an "event or show" regardless of it's potential or past performance. They do not reimburse for mileage until your 10+ sign ups take 6 deliveries in 8 weeks. They require you to go to a meeting every morning which doesn't pay a dime & it is extremely unprofessional.

The training is by far the worst thing you can imagine & there is no structure or relevance whatsoever. The morning meetings are supposed to be educational & motivational but they are not. They are depressing.

When a customer quits before 6 deliveries & you bring it up they tell you "go sign up another one". There is a big discrimination factor (especially in Utah, if you are not LDS).

This company would double in size & profit if they took the time to figure out what the real world of sales is all about. The new hire " training" is a joke & 90% of new hires are pre-destined to fail.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, stability, piece of mind, benefits, pride
Awful place to work unless your just slamming a paycheck.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 16, 2015
Management is awful and or incompetent. The only thing they care about is their bonuses. Your co-workers are miserable to work with and nobody really cares about their job here. Drivers make the most but they changed the pay scale at the beginning of the year. Some employees attitudes are terrible making the work environment nearly toxic to be in. The near constant changing of employees makes it difficult to know anybody and causes the older employees to pick up the slack. Trucks are in horrendous shape due to years of neglect and shoddy repair work. Almost all of the food items aren't properly sealed which allows for tampering of the items, including the milk. Some items flat out DONT have any labels period. The ice packs that they use ARE NOT washed. Most ice packs have MOLD on them and are then used to keep orders cold. If your just looking to slam a terrible paycheck and not have any responsibilities in life, this job is for you. Otherwise, I would steer clear of this company.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Just about everything
Grind........
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Las VegasApril 13, 2014
This job is a total grind. They require you to make at least 6 sales per week, or they let you go.

When you start up, the training is TOUGH.
They require a LOT of time reading their training books, doing quizzes and homework.

Money earned is solely based on making sales. You are at the mercy of the customer, because if they cancel the service, you pay for it.

You have to pay for samples, and for going to events.

It's not a great job if you want to have a life outside of work. I don't recommend it at all.
Pros
fun co-workers, manager has great attitude
Cons
horrible compensation, obamacare benefits, a lot of homework during training
Fun!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West ValleyJune 14, 2015
I loved working at Winder Farms. For me I worked as a Customer Service Rep, and spent my time on the phones. However, take out all of your thoughts of a call center environment because that will never exist here. In my team we had a max of 15 employees on the phones. I worked morning at 8 AM and got off in the afternoon. During this time I helped customers with their accounts or other complications. Winder Farms genuinely wants you to make connections with the customers, and help them in every way you can. I loved how close the company was with the employees and it really made me feel like part of the family. The only issue was it that they are a business who cares too much about people. The rest of the world is not like Winder Farms, and because of this they are suffering for it. The management can be confusing, but really what else can you expect from a family owned business.
Pros
Great Place to work!
Cons
Inconsistent Management
Fun and fast paced company with a family feel.
Customer Service Team Lead (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 16, 2015
I have worked at Winder Farms for almost 5 years and have loved every minute of it. It is a fun and fast paced work environment. The management is great, and the environment around the office is like a small company family feel.
I worked in customer service which would entail taking phone calls about change orders, skipping deliveries, issues with products, and billing inquiries. I would definitely recommend this job to anyone.
Great Business Where a self driven employee can thrive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 18, 2014
Preparing order sheets, ordering samples, Working with driven employees in the door to door work. Best part of the job was actually getting paid for how much work was put out.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
no benefits
Productive and fun work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 26, 2015
Winder Farms is a full of fun and caring individuals that love to have fun. The fact that the whole team is able to interact easily with each other while being productive in our work makes it seem like we aren't working at all. I've learned to multitask efficiently working at Winder Farms more than I have been able to in the past. Having to toggle between 8-10 different windows or programs during a call gives you quite the experience that you need in a fast paced environment. The best thing I'd say about this company is that they're like a family who takes care of each other. They make sure that everyone is alright all the time and do their best to help out when you need it. Absolutely love working with these amazing people and this great company.
Pros
Free drinks, Great team, Lots of fun, Amazing management
Cons
Noise levels
Great overnite job
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 27, 2015
I always felt welcome and comfortable work here. I liked the responsibility of managing a route and dealing with customer related issues. I developed great relationships with my customers and enjoyed providing them new services and products.
Pros
Overnite work "NO Traffic"
Cons
sleeping all day
You will be knocking on doors somedays and make no money
Events Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 27, 2012
I worked for this company for 5 years. I showed Winder Farms a different way to obtained customers in Las Vegas. I obtained over 2,500 new customers for them. I averaged 40 sales per month.

I started events in Vegas. I set up over 200 events in 5 years which helped put Winder Farms name out in Las Vegas,Pahrump,Boulder city and Henderson.

I arranged and organized events for the reps in Las Vegas and I was never paid for this job. I asked the VP of sales for a salary or to get paid for the events I was bringing in every year. I was told no salary rise. I was told that I was given a van to drive.

The van was used to carry equipment for all the events. I found out that they just made a rep the Event Coordinator for Las Vegas and are paying him for the same job that I did for 5 years. I also paid for the gas and never got reimbursed for it. They tell you will get 401K but thats not true. They stopped this.

I was the second top selling sales rep in Las Vegas. I was salesman of the month 5 times. While Working for them, I lost my house
and my car. When I was hired they told me I would make a certain amount of money. That was not true.

They are the only company I know who makes their sales reps pay for the company's Advertising and Marketing. They do this by making you pay for all events that the company does. They will also take back money back from the reps when a customer quits service before 5 deliveries. If the customer quits because of bad products or bad service from the drivers. The sales reps still get charged for someone elses mistakes. When it gets hot in the summer
  more... or cold in the winter you might get one or two sales a day if your lucky.

They will require you to knock on doors for 8 hours a day. If you get no sales that day, thats to bad. I have seen reps worked 40 hours a week and with all the money they take out of your check for events and customer quits. You will not be able to take care of your family or not get a check that week.

They will require you to come to meetings, but you don't get paid for them. You will be required to work 8 hour days and pay you only commission. They have gone thru hundreds of new reps in 5 years since I have been there. You could make as much money as you want. They charge you for samples and for all events you participate in and customer quits. They will train you to sell but not everybody sells the same.

They have their favorite sales reps. Some of them are given special deals to get sales from the Sales Manager. Others don't get the same treatment. I felt this was not fair. I saw new salesmen who never had sold Winder before made Managers after one month and they had a house rented for them. I saw a young college student made a manger in training who had no experience.

His team quit and then he was put in a B2B team. He didn't even sell 30 sales while he was there. They then made him the office manager to input sales, but he wasn't fast enough at that. They then promoted him to a Marketing Manager which he really didn't make any money for Winder Farms. I am not sure why a company would keep promoting a person who couldn't sell. Must be a religion thing. Wasn't based on experience.

I was terminated and never given reason. They said I didn't fit. I guess I didn't fit for 5 years. I think the reason is that I knew to much of what they were doing to their reps. They didn't want the new reps to know what I knew. Most reps at Winder work pay check to pay check. They last maybe a year there if they can sell. They paint a pretty picture for you. You will have motivational meetings everyday.

I was asked not to say bad things about them. They wanted me to keep things professional. You could make good money if you have alot of events or given special deals to sell.There is no advancement possibilties at this company. They do not give any salesman a salary. They don't care if you can pay your bills or not. They will give you an excuse and tell you that you have to sell more. I am not saying anything bad about them. I may sound like I am bitter. I am a little disappointed in management. They wll ask you for new ideas. If it doesn't come from mnagement. Chances are you won't get paid. They will come up with a reason not to pay you Winder always told us that we were all family.

I thought that I could maybe someday retire from there. I am just telling you the truth of how things really are at this company. You
can go apply. At least you will know what your getting into.
Pros
discounts on your own home service
Cons
you don't know from week to week what your getting paid
Great people running a good company with solid intentions and products.
Director of Sales (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTSeptember 14, 2014
The Executive Team makes an honest effort every day to make the best decisions for the right reasons.

The Sales Managers truly care about their reps and are doing the best they can to make an inherently tough job not only bearable but fun and rewarding.

Overall, the management is just a bunch of really good, capable hard workers doing a respectable job working toward big goals.

There are a few sales reps working here that are some of the best you could ever hope to work with. And a whole bunch more looking at their examples and following in their tracks to be just as good with time and experience.
hours of tireless knocking house door to house door. If you don't make a sale you don't get a paycheck
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Anaheim CaMay 1, 2015
I worked there for 3 months it was terrible!! Door to door in areas that are not even permitted. If you don't sell you don't make money. They don't tell you up front what you have to do to be compensated during your training period so you except the job under false pretenses. You can work 40 hours a week and not make a penny
Pros
non
Great Small Business
driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 31, 2014
great first job to work to pay the bills and such. driving a lot , and long hours.
Pros
the environment and the culture is refreshing
Cons
no future advancements.
great place to work
Delivery driver/Warehouse rep (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTJanuary 2, 2015
Day starts at 8pm to start loading my truck with produce and milk. Route usually starts shortly after. Deliveries must meet a minimum of 10 deliveries per hour with no mistakes. Ever customer must get everything they ordered in a organized and efficient fashion. All routes must be done by 8am.

i learned better organization and efficiency skills

most of the day your by yourself on the route

very physical hard working fast pace.
Pros
free drink
Cons
very hard work with little to no breaks
Door To Door Sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 4, 2013
1st, if you don't like door to door sales this is not for you, you will feel demoralized due that if you don't sell you don't get paid regardless of time and effort.
They offer training bonus of 2k (2 months lapse), but its hard for newbies, due that they have pages of checklists in order to qualify for those, if you don't meet ALL the criteria for the bonus, you pretty much get ZERO money, its all or nothing. Select the base pay instead, which is that you'll get at least 240 a week even if you don't sell, and for newbies, you don't have to worry if you don't get any money in training bonus.
Turn over is high. Motivation or being willing to try matters little, if you are not into door to door sales, you are wasting your time. 6 sales minimum per week to keep your job, otherwise the company can terminate you for any reason at any time (employment is at will).
Everybody its nice in there, but employees are afraid of disclosing how much they earn, it may not be much, due that you'll notice what they drive, or how cheap some are, having "successful sales" and unable to fix their own teeth. You have to be money motivated to survive in here.
Pros
daytime job, weekdays only.
Cons
no sale? no money. working for free.
Very fun environment and rewarding.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 9, 2013
This was a really fun job. I was able to balance my kids needs with work and the management was very easy going and understanding.
Pros
employee discount.
Cons
labor intensive.
good
Sales (Former Employee) –  st george utOctober 7, 2013
I didnt like full commision , very difficult to manage finances and the work life balance wasnt good , worked 7 days a week sometimes due to events.
my work day
Sales (Former Employee) –  Eagle Mountain, UTSeptember 14, 2013
I will be up early, taking care of four children, because I am a single father, then off to work. Then arrive 15 minutes early. Then prepare to look at the project that was not finished the night before, look for the days list and attend to it with my crew of men that would be working with me or under me. Then myself in with the supervisor to start making up the next days list.

2.8