Windstream Communications Employee Reviews

Great Company withe Good Management
Network Analysis Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 28, 2016
Great Company with good management. Good job security with benefits. Very flexible schedules. Great place to work at with good co-workers.
Disorganization is the name of this organization
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCJanuary 12, 2016
Windstream by far is one of the worst jobs I have ever had. In terms of management, processes and organization
Windstream is the worst. Management, from the upper to the lower management have no clue how to on how to get things done on a day to day basis. There is no structure or processes or procedures in place to carry out tasks. Training is non existent and you are thrown to the wolves and expected to competently do your job well.
The compensation is not competitive and you are expected to work long hours without complaint. The morale at the company is beyond low. If you ask 10 employees how they feel about working there, you will get the same answer.......it's a job and I get a check. Job security is non existent, as there is a re-org about every 3 months. The health benefits are horrible. You better not get sick or it will cost you.
The co-workers are the only thing that keeps most of the employees there. There are some really nice people there to work with and they do well in a team environment. There are some good managers there, but they get overshadowed by the red tape of upper management. You will not advance unless you are liked by upper management. It has nothing to do with your skills or competency.
All in all, I would not recommend Windstream as a place to work.
Pros
Great co-workers, team environment
Cons
Low Morale, low compensation, too many re-orgs, no support from upper management
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 16, 2015
Typical day - canvass for new logos and meet with clients

Learned alot about PBX equipment and managed services

Management was fair and open to any issues. Helpful in closing sales.

Co-workers were good to work with.

New company in Seattle did not have the brand recognition.

Open to call on all enterprise companies.
Pros
Open to call on all companies
Cons
Compensation was on the low end
A fun place to work with great people.
Customer Service Represenative (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCAugust 29, 2015
A typical day you answer inbound calls and assist customers with services while switching between different screens on the computer; at the same time of which you try to up sell additional products. I learned proper phone etiquette as well as how to work in a call center environment. Management was kind, hardworking, and knowledgeable. Co-workers were kind and fun to work with, but very competitive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upset customers while trying to sell additional products. The most enjoyable part of my job was the work environment and my co-workers.
Pros
set schedules, lunch breaks, commission plus salary compensation.
Cons
no leeway on tardiness, competitive enviroment
I do not have faith in this company
engineer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2016
There is no structure and the benefits are horrible for such a large company. The morale is the office is low and everyone seems concerned about the future of the company.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Unstructured, low morale, company doesn't treat employees like they want to keep them
On the go to various jobs
Bus Svc Tech & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 20, 2015
I was constantly on the go to various jobs. Ran into problems on just about every job. Most problems were solved but not before running into overtime which was not paid. We worked a straight 8 hour day no matter if we put more hours in to finish certain jobs.
Pros
Home Garaged
Cons
Health benefits cost too much
Avoid this place like the plague...
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 14, 2016
The work I performed is not the problem there and I like what I did work wise. I have never worked for a company that is this hostile and toxic as far as the work environment. For a telecommunication company, there is no communication whatsoever. I have personally observed managers throw their entire team "under the bus." The only good part about this place is their employees who are so devoted and talented. It's sad to see these talented folks micro-managed and treated unfairly. The turnover rate in Greenville is high. We have filled out employee surveys and nothing has happened despite all the promises made. Our health benefits were good until last year. Many employees are looking for another job.
Pros
my co-workers
Cons
management is inept, no training, toxic culture
This place is a JOKE
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAAugust 18, 2016
This is the most dishonest company that I have ever seen. I left the company because I didn't agree with lying to customers and "do whatever it takes" to get a sale. It's ironic that they call the position customer service, but that is far from the truth. The majority of the management is a joke. I worked in the telephony industry for over 10 years and would not recommend my worst enemy to work at this place. There is nothing like going from working for a good company (Iowa Telecom) for 10 years and that company being sold to the worst company (Windstream). You are not recognized by name here, you are just a number. Gotta love that corporate world. You mean nothing to them. If you have anything higher than a GED, do not work here.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Too many to list
Depends who you work for I had a nurturing and excellent leader there
Network Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 22, 2015
Depends who you work for I had a nurturing and excellent leader there, Fun work place with one manager that was supportive however her peers and supervisors seemed ignorant of basic management leader skills. No project management, communication plans, no operations management awareness, not trained on scheduling, planning and how to conduct staff meetings. I was able to grow and develop my leadership skills and do wonderful things to advance the companies objective, which was very fullfilling. They would listen you and your ideas. Colleagues and Learning was great.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
poor compensation and development
Here today, gone tomorrow.
Account Executive Integrated Solutions Group (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 22, 2016
Worked at Windstream for (14) months. Had three (3) different managers due to downsizing, "re-alignment" and changing structure. When your manager is located in a different state, all he/she knows about you is what is reported in CRM software, the occasional conference call and monthly metrics. Seemed like every three months, new corporate directive on what to sell, where to sell and to whom. Lost a good manager with over 8 years with the company simply because someone else in a different state decided on what he/she saw on paper. Either sell or you're gone.
Pros
Good workers. Medical coverage.
Cons
Detached Corporate leadership. Need solid direction.
Never work for them again
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 4, 2016
Being offered the job a windstream I was excited at first because I felt like I finally had a company that I would be able to have growth and accomplishments. Then I saw reality. I was advanced during my interview that I would not have to sell that much and selling was not a major part of the job. I was also told the the role was customer service more so then selling. that is totally not the case. the team sups and upper management push the point of making sells down your throat. They care more about sells then the actual customer or customer serv. And it not like windstream serv is so great. I can't even count on how many times a day a customer would call and complain about their serv is always out or that their internet would stop working in the middle of them doing something. But yet they wanted us to sell customers more stuff; if thats not backwards I dont know what is. I will never work for another company like this.
Decent place/environment to work.
Windows Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHMarch 16, 2016
Under the curve with technology and resources. Usually on the bubble with pulling the trigger on high end projects. They don't have the proper people in the right places of their expertise's to help them get over the curve that would help them achieve appropriate standards and goals. The work culture and people are very easy to get along with that are not inflicted by the (behind the scenes) managerial rhetoric's and big brother community schemes. Management is "usually" NOT appreciative towards (the true) employee efforts. Overall, the company is not that bad to work for. They seem like they have a stable business which appears to be growing and keeping it's customers. However, customer service and department management could use a face-lift as they have great employees and customers that are overlooked and un-appreciated. They seemed to have forgotten their initial motto and what has been behind their great customers and employees all of these years which is simple "viral loyalty".
Pros
Stable company.
Cons
Management (big brother community)
Don't recommended
Internet Service Technician 1 (Tier2) (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHAugust 16, 2016
Pay is decent but management only cares about saving money, not putting enough people on the actual 'work' to help the customer and employees. This so call quality is nothing but to keep their jobs and nitpicking. If you use sick days they take out points. Management let too many people take day off, so rest of other employees have to do overtime. Blaming people for not doing tickets when we are understaffed and we have 15 to 20 calls in the queues.

Overall, if you are looking for advancement and well organized group , this is not for you, at least wasn't for me.
Pros
Decent pay
It used to be great
Inside Account Executive/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2016
It's a job. Sadly once they brought the destroyer in the sales department is slowly being dismantled. Individuals are being held back for promotion because the head count is low but the person over the sales department will not hire anyone else. It is obvious that he has n axe to grind. We were told that we made too much in commission then then capped us. If you are looking for career growth, do not bother to work here.
Pros
Co-workers are awesome
Cons
Upper management does not care about the sales team who builds revenue
Windstream
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHMarch 27, 2016
I have grown to understand the urgency of emergency tasks and overall the sense of urgency associated with high level customer service. My typical day consist of following up with technicians and assisting them with daily task to insure they complete there daily task effectively. The management does nothing to further the development of the company by becoming actively involved in the growth of the company positively. My coworkers are very willing to assist and they stay positive. The hardest part of the job is the lack of training given or provided to all departments. I enjoy my hours.
A good company to work for
Enterprise Repair Answer, Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Fairport, NYOctober 7, 2015
Overall, I learned a lot in the telecommunications industry. Management could have been better in a sense they were not as knowledgeable as they should have been. Benefits could have been better.
Pros
good environment and people
Cons
raises, management
Prductive, Great people and enviroment to work with.
Sales Support/Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMay 20, 2016
Windstream was a great place to work for. My Mgr was an awesome leader who constantly looked for ways to make our jobs enjoyable regardless of the constant changes. I learned to adjust to changes constantly and the importance of working together as a team. What I loved the most about my job at Windstream was the team dynamic and the togetherness we had. My Mgr Bobby Kendall was an excellent leader who wanted nothing but the best success for the team, amazing!!

The hardest part of my job was the constant changes of processes and systems we had to work with but we constantly managed to adjust and learn quickly.
Great People Great Location
Wide Area Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 8, 2015
Windstream is a wonderful place to work. Salary may be on the low end but it's still a nice place to work. The location is perfect for the Upstate. Good opportunity for relevant experience in telecommunications and networking.
Pros
central location, great people, fun place
Cons
low pay
Wonderful place with lots of benefits and advancement opportunities
Call Center CARE Agent (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCNovember 6, 2015
Nice hours
Very clear instructions on how to do job functions
Help available whenever needed
Generous benefits
Respectful managers and coworkers
Wonderful place overall
Pros
hour lunch, paid training, good pay
Cons
tethered to phone all day
They dont use thier peopl;e and facility to its full potential
Senior Business Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJuly 13, 2016
I worked 14 years with this company trying to move them forward to stay competitive and they keep looking back to slow down to reduce there size and customer base to stay in the black. The health insurance slowly got less and less and more expensive. My manager was great and he told us under him that upper management has their way of doing business and that is that.
Pros
Cons
Health Insurance you have to pay the first 5K before bennifits kick in.

2.9