Sr. Systems Engineer
Windy Gap Communications – San Francisco, CA
Our client, a well known, San Francisco-based global retail company with several subsidiaries seeks a Sr. Systems Engineer (Open Source).
This position is for a lead technical role in the deploying business applications by designing, automating and deploying applications from bare metal to running application container on deployed infrastructure. Systems engineers should have a strong background in configuration management enabling standard configurations for systems, network, and storage components. This is a hands-on role working collaboratively with development and operations to enable quick builds in parallel project driven Agile development environment. Deep focus and breadth of open source knowledge is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in a team responsible for the design, implementation, and automate deployments of systems, network, and storage hardware and software
- Expected to deliver innovation through automation to enable standard deployable units of infrastructure through multiple environments into production
- Point of contact for projects responsible to identify, design and deliver project infrastructure needs
- Partners with Project Managers, Technical Architects, Technical Managers, DBAs, Developers, QA, Operations to ensure infrastructure deliverables has been deployed, validated and operational guidelines and documentation has been handed over.
- Willing to assume any role within infrastructure or in the assigned project to drive delivery of the project within the standards set in infrastructure
- Influence others through presentations to the architecture group to drive initiatives and technical project designs
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism and mentorship as cross-training, knowledge sharing, and presentations are required
- Can organize, assemble and lead teams from multiple IT groups, and in some instances, may supervise daily work activities of assigned team(s)
- Focus on security best practices to ensure currency of our systems providing solutions and assistance in security and compliance activities.
5-7+ years of Unix/Linux experience
Experience in managing system configurations with tools like Puppet, Chef or Cfengine
Strong knowledge of Cisco IOS, Firewalls, load balancers
Strong knowledge Java / Tomcat and Apache
Solid experience In-depth Ruby, Ant expertise
Solid experience with storage networks and NAS/SAN hardware
Experience with VMware, KVM, XEN
Experience with AIX VIO LPAR a plus
Experience with open source monitoring tool chains such as Nagios, Cacti, MRTG, SNMP, collectd, rrd,
Familiarity with some or all of the following: Apache, tomcat, mysql, memcached, Oracle and database clustering, etc.
Excellent team player, including the ability to work cross functionally in a fast paced environment
Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and ability to concurrently manage multiple deadline-driven tasks and projects; self-starter
Experience working in an agile development environment
Additional Job Details: duration - 6 mos to a year Need Engineeer with wide variety of depth: Linux 7+years, strong VM ware, or storage engineer with VMX. ( this will be 90 % Linux/ Unix) . Need configuaration and applicatiions knowledge, scripting, networking. Chef/ Puppet = automation tools . We are an Oracle + enterprise shop. person will handle multiple projects ( 5 to 8 projects at various stages. must have strong communication skills, be comfortable in Agile environment. Selling points: stable environment , multiple projects that offer variety, opportu ity to grow skills. Please ask resources: what have you built from scratch? What is capacity of platform they have been using
Indeed - 8 months ago
copy to clipboard
At Windy Gap Communications, we work with our clients to significantly improve productivity and reduce costs. We offer a wide range of IT...