Winnebago County Health Department Employee Reviews

Great
In Person Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 21, 2017
This was a great place to work. I loved my boss and she was understanding about family issues. Most of the people were great to work with. There was people who thought they could push it and did get away with alot more then they should. all in all it was a great experience working with the community of Rockford and nearby towns.
Busy
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 26, 2017
Working for the Winnebago county health department was very exciting. I learned a lot and got to put thing I learned at school to use. It is a great place to learn and grow.
Family friendly and has great benfits
Family Health Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 3, 2017
Culture is very Family Friendly.
Benefits are great.
Used to be more family oriented and with money restraints, things have changed over the years.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
State and Federal Funded and sometimes money doesn't always come in on time
was a family friendly enviroment love working for the county
Case Manager/Bilingual/Spanish (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 30, 2016
kept busy from the time I arrived to the end of the day
love working with families and children
a great to place to work
co-workers and management are great
a place to grow
had a great 407 savings plan
Pros
had hour lunches
Cons
n/a
New administrator, several changes taking place.
Coordinator 1 (Former Employee) –  555 N. Court St., Rockford IL 61103March 22, 2016
Worked in the Family Case Management program for 20 years at Winnebago County Health Dept. Absolutely loved my job. Was laid off due to State of Illinois Budget problems/funding. Was a great place to work. Completed many Medicaid applications, enrollments and assessments. Distributed and discussed various health education issues regarding pregnant women and families.
Pros
Enjoyed working with pregnant women
Cons
Limited Community Resources
Current work environment.
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 17, 2015
Environment affect by the State of Illinois's inability to approve a budget for Fiscal Year 2016 caused uncertainty in some departments over future downsizing.
Job Culture is family oriented , great job/ work life balance.
Health Educator (AmeriCorps) (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 11, 2014
A typical day in a health department is collobarating with internal and external stakeholders to promote healthy lifestyle choices and deters substance abuse.

The management staff facillitates an interdependant work environment that supports matching academic talents and work experience with individual strengths and passions.

The hardest part of the job is that public health initiatives are always faced with funding challenges for fiscal support.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to set the stage for health iniatives that will enable folks to live a healthier life.
No two days were ever the same. Senior Management found ways to bring positive morale to the staff.
Administrative Specialist/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 20, 2014
There really wasn't a "typical" day at work, unless it was 'payroll Monday'. Otherwise, days were varied, depending on what immediate needs and priorities were. I learned that Teamwork is critical when trying to achieve large goals. Teamwork led to adapting to and accepting other's opinions, views. Diversity was critical and valued.

Management were supportive of employees and found ways to show them that they were valued, even when (especially when) the Organization went through a four-year wage freeze.

Co-workers were friendly, although at times unreceptive. There were many employees who had long-standing employment at the Organization and didn't know what the real work world was like. There were many, on the other hand, who genuinely cared about serving clients and meeting their needs.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with negativity. I was as a cheerleader-of-sorts most days and tried to bring encouragement to all I encountered. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping others (typically coworkers) and training them on methods, software, etc. I also really enjoyed the variety that my job offered and being involved in many aspects of the organization's planning and executive duties.
Pros
Benefits were exceptional
Cons
Being passed by for promotions due to the Organization's policy on credentialing
work with different cultures
Refugee Screening Aide and Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 8, 2013
Assist doctors and nurses with different kind of exams, interpret and translate for different languages , help with other departments such as WIC program, TB program, etc.