Winona Health Employee Reviews

Good company
Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNDecember 15, 2016
Great place to work, growth potential. Compensation, pay increases were stagnant. Enjoyed what I did there. Worked with nice people
Intimidating work environment
Office (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNMarch 30, 2016
A lot of upper level management are bullies (and get away with it) and very intimidating, so staff live in fear of being let go even when they are doing a great job. The board apparently doesn't care about the employees either. It is a hostile work environment, benefits are expensive and don't cover as much as they should. Winona Health has a bad reputation with other employers in the area, Mayo and Gundersen are happy to take the good staff that WH screws over. Good employees are leaving constantly whether by choice or not, and the remaining staff are left to absorb all the work.
Management is horrible
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNMarch 9, 2017
If you need to discuss anything with your supervisor or director, you are better off talking to a wall. After giving my two week notice, the people I worked with rude. Including supervisors. I would suggest going to HR if you ever have an issue. They seem to be the only ones who will listen. Not a great work environment. Though, some departments seemed to be fine. Word travels very fast in this small hospital/ clinic as well.
Poor managment. High turnover.
Travel Nurse (Former Employee) –  HospitalJanuary 8, 2017
Co-workers are hard working people who are not valued. Management only ever talk about saving money. They do not value employees concerns.
Pros
Good coworkers, like familyn. Hires travel nurses often.
Cons
Management doesn't care about employees or patients
Awful
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Msp/fbcJanuary 19, 2017
The other nursing assistants are bullies, the nurses are bullies except a few. Upper management will tear you down and bury you. Worst place of employment
First Chaplain
Hospice Chaplain and Bereavement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 17, 2017
I was the very first chaplain they had so it was extremely fulfilling. They staff was very understanding of the patients and they problems family members had dealing with a serious illness.
Great Experience!
RN (Current Employee) –  Winona ClinicDecember 3, 2015
I've had a great experience working for Winona Clinic. It has been a great place to work and my supervisors and co-workers have been wonderful to work with! My hours and vacation time have been flexible which is an awesome perk! Overall, I am very happy a chose to further my career at Winona Health!
Pros
Job Security, Flexibility, friendly staff, compensation
Benefits
I loved caring for my patients.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNSeptember 16, 2016
Winona Health was a wonderful place to work. I loved caring for the elderly who couldn't do their own activities of daily living. I also enjoyed being there for terminal patients who's only family was me. It was a privileged to be allowed to spend their last moments with them.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
no/short breaks
Great staff and residents but difficult environment.
Assistant Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 7, 2013
My co workers and the residents were wonderful. But in the time I was employed there I saw many culture changes and unfortunately most were not good. LEAN management is being implemented and although there are some benefits from this style of business not all parts of it work in healthcare because it was designed for manufacturing. There has been lots of turn over of staff. The LEAN thought process is to empower the staff but the staff were not being listened to and the changes created increased work in an area where there was too much to do already. It is a very rewarding job and as I said the staff and residents are amazing but my overall opinion is not a positive one at this time. This role has way too many responsibilities to be completed in an average 40 hour work week and often required taking work home or working OT for free since it was in the past a salaried role.
Pros
great staff who truly care about what they do everyday, residents who brighten your life everyday.
Cons
culture changes with focus being pulled away from healthcare.
Decent workplace to work at.
Environmental Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 29, 2016
As an environmental assistant or also known as a housekeeper, your job is pretty straight forward. Cleaning from the beginning of your shift to the end of your shift. Depending on where you're maintaining, you might have to do a bit of customer servicing too.

The management there isn't too bad. At first it was a bit hard to keep up with what has to be done with the amount of time given but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and your shift supervisor isn't always on your case. Just do your job and do it well. Also, your co-workers are awesome.

The hardest part is getting use to working alone in an area. If you're a chicken like me, this position is not for you.
Pros
Good wages at that time.
Cons
Short breaks.
enjoyable place to work with fun people
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 27, 2016
gathering menus for each patient. each patient always taught me something new everyday. management you could always get along with along with the co workers. i would say the hardest part is after working a whole 8 hour shift getting asked to stay to work a double. the most enjoyable part was getting to talk with each patient
difficult place to thrive
undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNDecember 3, 2015
The best thing about Winona Health is my co-workers. Most of them care for you as if you were family doing what they can to help you in any aspect of your life. If Winona Health was willing to pay at a rate equal to my contemporaries at other organizations I would be willing to put up with managements secrecy and lack of movement just so I could continue to work with my co-workers. Unfortunately most of us get the feeling management feels we are expendable, which causes us to be on edge fearing for our jobs. Innovative ideas coming from the bottom up are most often dead ended with little to no explanation coming from above.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
Pay, insurance, hours
Well rounded place of employment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNMay 3, 2016
While working there I experienced a lot of enthusiasm from the employees while on the job even of rough days everyone was excited to be working.
Good benefits
Receptionist/scheduler 22 years winona health. (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 9, 2016
22 years enjoying my job and additional opportunities. Love helping people.Many yeard working with good doctors and nurses.Great education. Left to go back to school.Answered phones,made appontments,filed ins. helped nurses take messages.
Cons
respectful work place
Updates
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 14, 2016
I really enjoyed my job and all the duties required to perform my job. I got along well with everyone and only left to work full time instead of part time. Winona Health did not have any full time position when I needed the hours.
The Management is Judgmental
Food and Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNFebruary 22, 2015
I worked in this area and loved my job and the other employees but the management rules unfairly and is quick to judge.
I was accused of a disgraceful act so I proceeded to talk to management to clear my name but instead was told in a longer email, and I quote, " where there is smoke there is fire." After that experience I left since I wasn't going to work under someone who would not listen to my side of the store and could not trust me.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
bad management
Loved coworkers, management not so much
Jack of all trades (Former Employee) –  Urgent CareMay 9, 2014
Loved my job,the patients and coworkers...fun department with a lot of team playing. That being said the general atmosphere was poor, management does not manage they rule, poor communication your input is not appreciated, always concentrates on the negative. No personality pretty sure I never saw my manager smile. She couldn't even stop by just to see how your doing...made you feel unappreciated.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Horrible management
Productive workplace with busy and slow periods
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNMarch 25, 2013
A typical day at work started with cleaning and stocking patient rooms, filling oxygen tanks, escorting patients to the bathroom, educating patients on the proper UA procedure, sending the UA to the lab and charting characteristics of the urine. Some days I would perform CPR on patients and I would perform crutch training. I had nice coworkers. The hardest part of my job at Winona Heath was dealing with death of patients. The most enjoyable part of my job was the feeling you get when you save somebody's life.
Staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 11, 2015
Great doctors and nurses to work with. Many management positions in the middle and upper end. Enjoy taking care of a variety of patients. Shift's are normally moderate to heavy in patient flow. Shift's pass by fast. Health insurance is costly and not very good. Pay does not compete with other hospitals in the area.
A failing organization
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNMay 29, 2014
The job was enjoyable because I had great co-worker's. We worked great as a team. Some staff in management rule by bullying and it's tolerated which is unfortunate. Performance reviews went away several years ago so now the only news staff get in writing is bad news (write ups or lay off notices).
Pros
Cafe on site
Cons
Wage increase are unlikely

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winona Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9