Winston-Salem State University Employee Reviews

High form of education level.
A. Accounting Technician III (Former Employee) –  MLK Dr. Winston-Salem, NCAugust 23, 2017
Very rewarding in working with the Staff and Students. My job there was so good. I had a chance to meet so many good people and very nice and students, which made my working there very pleasant.
Pros
Education was great.
Cons
Better Management needed.
N/a
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 21, 2017
It was a great place to work at. We had a lot of freedom. You didn't need to follow a protocol, it was more about getting the answers the university needed.
RA Life
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 11, 2017
I enjoyed being an RA. It gave me a chance to hold a leadership role on campus. The hardest part was creating the boards and walking all the way across campus to get materials. I like the sense of community too among the buildings. Being a RA could be difficult at times but I enjoyed it at times.
Decent place to start
University Associate (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 6, 2017
WSSU is like any other job. Keep your head low and do what you have been paid to do. There is an abundance of workplace politics that hinder progression for students and faculty/staff alike. Management will depend on your department. I've seen some departments flourishing while others remain stagnant under old regimes. Make this a 3-5 year stop before you land your dream job. You'll learn how to work in a hostile environment, with impossibly tight deadlines, and superiors who are halfway competent at their own jobs. The benefits are wonderful for a single 20-30 something with no children (I can only speak for my situation here).
Pros
Great healthcare, 401K, Paid Vacation
Cons
hostile workplace environment
This workplace provided access to the fitness rooms
staff offices and classrooms (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 21, 2017
A typical day at work for this company would be cleaning the staff's offices and classrooms. Cleaning the restrooms and stocking restroom toiletries when needed.
Pros
Receiving great benefits
Cons
Having to work for the company for 4 years or more before offered fulltime status
Tutor - Know Java Basics
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 5, 2017
A typical day consists of sitting in the tutor lab waiting for someone to show up who needs help. Students tend to come more often near the end of the semester to try and prepare for proficiency exams. Tutors are typically knowledgeable to some extent in Java but there tend to be tutors who do little to no tutoring, pushing students on other tutors.
Flexible hours fit around your schedule. We don't get students that need tutoring every day so we can study and do homework during this time.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Free Time
Enter to Learn, Depart to Serve
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 19, 2017
"Enter to Learn, depart to serve" is the motto of this prestigious institution. Students are taught skills that will carry them on for a lifetime, while building lifelong relationships. Professors are always willing to go the extra mile to ensure students' success.
Good Company
Program Associate (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 18, 2017
Good place to work if you're looking for a job with benefits and a regular once a month pay check. If you are seeking an upgrade within your position there are normally no room in the departments for growth. In order to grow within this company you will have to apply and get hired for another job within the same company. There are normally not any pay raises as a State Employee. If you're lucky your supervisor could possibly get you an in-range salary adjustment but only if there are monies available in the budget. The in-range salary adjustment would give you a pay raise. The work environment is constantly changing. If you like change every other year within the same department whether that means you being moved to a different office for the same department, being moved to a different department, or change of supervisor this company will work for you. If you desire consistency this may not be the company for you.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Inconsistency
Recreation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NC 27110April 8, 2017
Although this was a work-study job and was considered part-time, it was a great experience, provided wonderful work experience and taught more about customer service and working in a public environment than later jobs did. Supervisors were great and very good at teaching.
Math tutor
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 28, 2017
I enjoy teaching to other students about math. As a math major, I am great at explaining how to solve the problem and how they got a certain question wrong.
Fun Fun
Legacy Leader (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 16, 2017
This was a very intense training but it has prepared me for many different thing in life that is to come. I learned to take to lead in situations. I enjoyed the fun that we had during training..Management was good to me..
Student Employee
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 8, 2017
Internships do not get paid well. Great place to work though. Management is great to work with. They are understanding about classes. The most enjoyable is the people I work with.
Pros
get experience
Cons
pay is poor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  WinMarch 6, 2017
It is an awesome place to work and great people to work with. I was able to work in a great department that afforded me to be able to assist external and internal clients.
Cohesive environment with a great atmosphere
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 28, 2017
I really enjoy the interaction with athletes and coaches. The staff at WSSU are so welcoming and are willing to provide learning tools to help progress your experience. Great place to work!!!
Interaction with co-workers
Student Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 16, 2017
I love the experience and knowledge I gain from working in the office. The culture of this company fits me as a person, which helps me to enjoy what I do.
Overall
Divisional Budget/Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NC 27101February 10, 2017
Worked there for 9 years. Developed great connections that I will always cherish. Transparency was difficult. Upper management was not always supportive.
Pros
Love the culture and history of the university
Cons
Salaries need to be competitive; promtions are favored
Very versatile mind set needed in accomplishing task from day to day. Everyday was different as far related experiences went.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 1, 2017
A typical work started and ended just about the same each day. Once at work check the computer for work orders, if non are held over from the day before. Once the work order if selected and location if found. I would simply take my electric driver to the location, access the situation. if further tool.s are needed or latter etc... I would then return to shop and get the necessary tools needed to complete the job, then go to the next available work order.
Stable workplace with good benefits
Building Environmental Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 11, 2017
Started as a general laborer and over time moved up into leadership.
As time progressed the work environment turned into a close knit family. As the position changed with greater responsibility, more challenges came due to dealing with multiple personalities.
Enjoyed working there, but the pay was under what many other similar institutions pay.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Pay should be better for the type of work
Fun Workplace
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 22, 2016
Working with different people everyday was fun, and i consistently learned a lot from each and every one of my residents. Making their lives easier was something i was good at.
Experience Will Be Department Dependent
Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 15, 2016
As a university, you can expect departments to have different enviroments and work expectations. The Department of Life Sciences was a pleasure to work with, but it should be noted that they went out of their way to create a culture of student interest in research, which might not have been applicable elsewhere.
Pros
Fantastic boss
Cons
no benefits with this position, pay is grant/stipend dependent