Winston Retail Employee Reviews

Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 5, 2017
everything about the job was great loved it. great work environment, great team. I loved working out of different locations every week it was awesome
No perks & you are called a Contractor! And you are treated as though you're incompetent.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2017
Their training is below standard for what they expect. No one really knows anything to answer questions you have. And pay periods are too long.
Pros
Open to do other work elsewhere.
Cons
Bad training for the type of work
Great team!
Field Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Winston is a great place to work! Management does their best to take of their employees. There is freedom to create your own schedule based on certain parameters. They have contracts with big brands.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Hrs can fluctuate
Don't Put You All Into This Company WASTE OF TIME
Visual Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 5, 2017
Worked for this company for almost 5 years and it's been time wasted indeed. All of my accounts supposively got closed. Asked for extra assignments even volunteered to go out of state or town if necessary. It's been months and the managers are not helpful at all if your are looking for assignments or work. Been with this company and I have only spoke to the manager twice. Never has trained with me and never felt like they needed to. If you want questions asked tou would have to contact 3 or 4 other people before getting some type of correct answer. They are forever posting about jobs or the referral program instead giving you the job.
Pros
Travel when it's good.
Cons
Not a longtime career, overworked and underpaid. Bad communication per management.
Self motivated work
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10018January 11, 2017
Good company to work for, must be self motivated work. Work at multiple locations, gain great contacts at different locations. Must be able to self taught from online training.
Flexible workplace
Field Training Associate / Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2016
Winston is great for someone that is looking to make a little extra money. They are very flexible and once your relationship is built more opportunities are given. Compared to other 3rd party companies they have the best reputation out in the field. They have high expectations from their contractors. One negative is that hours fluctuate and difficult to have any kind of stability.
Pros
flexible
Cons
hours fluctuate
Interesting work but not always available
Merchandising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 26, 2016
Work in different retail stores setting up displays, moving freight, installing signs, teaching associates about the product. Daytime work and no weekends so far.
Small company that needs improvement
Visual Merchandiser and Visuals (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 27, 2016
The brands are great to work with but the company has a lot of learning to do as far as being organized and treating their employees well. Their is no room for advancement with this company and your accomplishments are rarely noticed.
This position great if you have a FT job or like flexible hours.
Brand Merchandise Representative (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXAugust 7, 2016
This position is a brand merchandiser for different brands within the retail industry. You are responsible for the display, stocking and training for the brand of a specific line of merchandise.
Pros
Flexable hours
Bizarre
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 15, 2016
Had the strangest experience here. I was hired as a part-time mc over a month ago and was never given any accounts. I completed new hire paperwork along with a few online quizzes, mostly on procedure and policies, how to's for taking photos, etc. also participated in a conference call, they sent a name tag but that's it. I haven't heard anything from Winston since. When I emailed to follow up I was told that they would look into it and get back to me (no one did of course). If this was a slow period or there was no work, I thought that could simply be communicated via email. While I understand merchandising may be inconsistent I expected at least one or two shifts a week. Just seems strange to go through the trouble of hiring somebody then....nothing?

Want to know more about Winston Retail?

Ask a question
Fun job with excellent communication!
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandJune 2, 2016
As a merchandise coordinator, Winston Retail contracts you to service a variety of clients for merchandising floor sets and fixtures according to brand standards. The position includes installing graphics and window displays, styling mannequins, and training store staff and customers on product knowledge. Before and After photos are required when submitting a store visit report at the end of the day. Staffing managers and Field Training Managers are always available to assist in any scheduling or merchandising concerns. In addition to highlighting merchandise accomplishments, the company also hosts fun contests to foster an enjoyable work community. Contact with Winston Retail Corporate is done through email and their website, so although I have never met any of my managers in person, I still feel valued as a contractor with this company.
Pros
Communication, Creativity, Positive Feedback
Cons
Inconsistent Hours
Employees are disposable, terrible management.
N/A (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10010April 15, 2016
Been there for a little while and when I started out, there was a more employee-friendly work environment. As company expands, it seems to forget about its employees and focuses more on revenue-obtaining, aggressive tactics. High turnover in upper management, rampant favoritism and no appreciation for loyalty. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Relaxed dress code
Cons
Poor choices of people in management. Toxic employees. Unethical work environment.... List goes on.
Flexible Schedule and Competitive Pay
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 31, 2016
Friendly and associative staff willing to coach and partner on projects. Primary functions as a contracting company for retail sales merchandising. Must be self-motivated and communicative to all levels to advance and thrive.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 24, 2016
I didn't not enjoy working for this company. At all. There were a lot of issues. For the ability of a flexible schedule, no milage is paid, as well as no insurance.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling
Cons
The company is a great company. I am still learning about the management.
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 6, 2015
A typical day in my world involves talking with store management regarding my visit's purpose. We discuss business procedures, success, failures and what we can do to better represent the brand involved. Once my merchandising is completed I review the end result with them to obtain feedback.

I take before and after pictures to include in my report as well as any competitor picture that I feel can influence my decision making.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
work is not consistant.
Great company to work for. Management is always available.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  San Francisco.September 24, 2015
I enjoy working with Winston Retail. The assignments are great. They represents brands that are popular. I enjoy merchandising and the training has been convenient.
Cons
not enough hours.
Not very happy with this company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2015
going to Macy's to reset junior jeans. I didn't really learn anything at this job. Management was bad, I could never get in touch with anyone.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
management
definitely not what it seems when you get hired
merchandiser (Former Employee) –  northeastJuly 23, 2015
this company is like a sorority house with little girls working in it and if you don't fit in you will get fired the managers have no idea what's going on in the stores that you are servicing they expect you to spend hours uploading photos and then the photos that they say you need to take are different than the ones that they want you to upload
Pros
Cons
micromanaging no benefits
An Okay job to gain experience. Worked as a contractor in another state
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 21, 2015
Little support & direction from field managers and account managers. Work wasn't difficult but requires one to be a self starter and stores were very open to services and helpful. Often times the paper work provided by account managers didn't match with the products and items in the stores and could be confusing.
You are not a contractor, you are treated as an employee
Merchandising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mid AtlanticJune 16, 2015
You are treated as an employee, not a contractor, especially with the amount of micromanagement that is required. They avoid paying taxes or covering your injury should you get hurt by stating you are a contractor which is a joke. Winston pays a little more than other companies but it isn't worth the BS you deal with in the end. It is a sorority house, and you better fit in or you will not be on their go to list, which defines the amount of money you make. You are never sent into jobs with the correct information or tools you need to be successful, even on the bigger brands you could work with like Under Armour, Nike, The North Face. The Account Training Managers don't know what they are doing most of the time and that is who you are supposed to rely on for key information. Your FTM most likely will never call you back or know what is going on either. They set you up for failure. They give you a paid 30 mins for each report. That is hysterical when the reports take over an hour or longer depending on the brand. The Management never gets back to you in a timely fashion but expects you to drop everything if they need something from you. You only hear from the Management if you have messed something up. Good job is not in their vocabulary. FTA's who review the reports are their pets so if they say you stink, guess what, you stink. This company is not fair at all and is not the same company I worked for 8 years ago. I am so sad at where it has landed in the end when I had such high hopes.
Pros
Pay, Brands
Cons
Treated as Employee, No Internal Growth, Plays Favorites, Lack of Information

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winston Retail. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4