Winthrop-University Hospital

Winthrop-University Hospital Employee Reviews

productive, busy, multitasking, organized workplace
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 16, 2014
A typical day of work starts off with checking messages, answering phones, making outgoing phone calls to patients and filling out appropriate patient information. Constant answering of phones as well as attending to family members of patients inquiring about their family member who is a patient at the facility. Constant multitasking occurs on a daily basis. I have learned plenty new skills, developed interpersonal skills and great work ethic. I have acquired stronger organizational skills as well as perfected my multitasking skills ensuring that work is still completely efficiently. Co-workers can be difficult at times, but my patience and personable character allows for me to get along and work well with everyone. Management can be difficult at times, not understanding, and non appreciative of overly hardworking employees who go above and beyond their responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is the ensure that work is being done efficiently due to constant multitasking. The most enjoyable part of the job is having my own workspace.
Pros
free lunches, individual workspace, feasible location
Cons
stresstful workload, sensitive family members/patients
you need to know someone to advance
Reimbursement Associate (Biller) (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 7, 2014
It does not matter how hard you work if you don't know someone to help you advance in this company. I see people that work a lot less and are always protected by someone and then even promoted. People being hire that do not know how to do their job but still passing probation time and any other employee always overlook and the excuse " because you are good at what you do we always give you more" but when times comes we are not good enough, not even to transfer to do the same job we are already doing but maybe trying a different department.
It is sad because a lot of people are leaving the company, and the new medical students, as soon as they get their degree and experience, look for a job in a better paying company.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
no real job advancement
wonderful organization,ec
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 5, 2012
Professionalism perfected,yet every employee is approachable. I enjoyed my time working in the operating room. I was allowed to assist in retrieving patients to the operating room ( when needed) ,run blood gases to the lab during open heart surgeries, carry all sorts of specimens to pathology and watch the pathologist dissect and explain all my questions. Aside from the interesting things I've learned, I also enjoyed being a unit secretary there. It is fast moving ,the days would fly. Every evening returning home always feeling very satisfied. It truly is a learning hospital and given the opportunity to work there again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Pros
advancements available
Cons
keep a positive attitude and you'll find none.
Co-operative and supportive workplace
I.T Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJuly 6, 2015
Winthrop Hospital is a good place to work, if not a place where people become comfortable in their roles and don't move on/up very quickly if at all.

Management is usually very helpful and understanding, but again, their is little room for advancement for new employees because of the excellent benefits provided.

Co-workers, for the most part, are easy to work with, except in a hospital setting, there can be high-stress days/weeks depending on what's going on in the hospital.
Pros
good benefits, competitive compensation
Cons
high stress environment, little opportunity for advancement
Excellent environment to work in and offers great learning experiences.
Transpoter/ Emergency Room technician (Former Employee) –  Mineola, New YorkFebruary 27, 2012
Working for this company has given me the insight and drive to pursue many options that the medical field offers. I started in the transportation department and worked my way into the emergency department as an emergency room technician. We saw a lot patients, performed many ekg's and often worked past the standard eight hour shift. I enjoyed my time there and learned so much from my superiors and co workers.
Pros
tremendous service and well experienced staff.
Cons
poor visitor management, and not enough overtime availability.
challenging, ever changing.
Registered Nurse, Staff (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYFebruary 14, 2015
Winthrop University Hospital was a small community base hospital when I arrived there. It grew quickly to enjoy a confidence rating which was very high in the area. This is a culturally diverse area, and Winthrop kept up with the changes. Nurses typically worked 12 hr. shifts, and had ongoing communication with management. The hardest part of the job was giving compassionate end of life care to those patients too ill to survive. The most enjoyable part was watching new graduates practice skills, observations, and implement organization that the more senior staff taught them.
No growth and no appreciation
Reimbursement Associate (Biller) (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 21, 2014
....it's very hard to advance here because between managers and human resources you don't have a chance and you can't even transfer to another department. Employees have been "blacklisted" from transferring to other departments within the hospital. A lot of favoritism and you need to know somebody to be able to get some where even if you don't know anything.
Not a great place to work, very difficult to prove yourself.
a lot of people might tell you how good you are at what you do , but that doesn't help you to grow.
Pros
decent health benefits
Cons
no advancement opportunity
Productive Work Enviornment
Financial Control Representative/Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 20, 2012
From morning to evening my schedule is busy i learn to manage my time from start to finish and get the work completed even under stress.my coworkers are very helpful when it comes to work and are willing to explain if a job is not done correctly. The hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed because there is only six of us in the department it becomes a bit challenging when we are down more than one person. The most enjoyable part of my job is that my day goes by so fast time flys when you are busy.
Pros
effort recognition by managers
my office mamager was wonderful and always fare with her employees
Registrar/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 10, 2013
I love workingl for Winthrop Hospital, I just wish my position had room for advancement. I became very close with my co-workers. overall I dont think the system was very fare for their employees.The hardest part of the job is getting to know your patient and then they pass away or the Dr gives them really bad news. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients get better.
Pros
you are given a raise every year
Cons
if you are 1 min late, you would be doc 15 min of vacation time
Registrar/Insurance Verifier (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYNovember 13, 2014
Performed bed board, insurance verification, and legal certificate functions in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures. Registered inpatient, outpatient, and ambulatory surgery patients. Responsible for the assignment of beds to all patients being admitted to the hospital, completion of the census and other reports, tracked discharges and transfers. Verified insurance of patients prior to and post admission and made payment arrangements.
Pros
relaxing environment
Cons
long commute
very good place to work
Registered Nurse, NICU (Former Employee) –  Long Island, New YorkJuly 11, 2014
Worked in the NICU. Assignment was fair. I worked in the tertiaty care unit using all the major equipments that were nenessary for the patient's survival, eg respirator, cpap machines etc.Management was no nonsensel, workers were expected to follow protocol. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers, we all were very helpful to each other. The hardest part of the job was when you are in charge and making up the assignments. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment.
Pros
cohesive environment to work.
Telemetry/internal medicine PA
Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 12, 2013
My typical day at work starts at 7am where I am signed out 10-12 critically ill patients. During the course of the day I monitor their vital signs, interpret diagnostic tests and, along with their attending physicians, discuss goals of care and facilitate additional tests and/or procedures. I call consults if they are warranted and alert the attending physician if patients are deteriorating or new data changes management.
Pros
patient diversity and expanding clinical knowledge
Cons
at time too broad
Secure place to work with good benefits.
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 18, 2012
A typical work day consists of account management and fixing errors. I have learned multi-tasking skills and customer service skills. My coworkers and have a great relationship professionally and personally. The hardest part of my job is maintaining the heavy workflow with old accounts and ever-increasing new accounts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of helping a person in need of financial or insurance assistance.
Wonderful workplace and people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYMay 3, 2015
This was a volunteer position. I worked on Saturdays, midday for three hours. A typical day at work consisted of picking up the phones, directing visitors, as well as delivering gifts to patients' rooms. My co-workers were very friendly and it was always a joy to work alongside of them. The hardest part of this job was that before entering, I would usually have softball practice. The most enjoyable part was seeing the patients when we delivered gifts and how their faces would light up.
Educational environment
Diet Technician, Dietary Department (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYDecember 30, 2013
Winthrop is a great place to work for. Management is often encouraging all employees to expand their knowledge with inservices and updated nutrition information. At Winthrop, I put what I learned in college into great use on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my day, is when I frequently help patients with their food preferences. Food at a hospital is often the center of the patients' day, so to receive an enjoyable meal is rewarding.
Pros
free lunches
Winthrop
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 21, 2014
Winthrop University Hospital is a great place to work for. The amount of education and support they provide their nurses is exceptional. Management is very supportive and ensure that the nurses have what they need. The hardest part of the job is managing to get every patient what they need at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a friendly environment and being able to make patients stay in the hospital as easy and relaxing as possible.
Growing and productive workplace
Medical Secretary/ Medical Assistant Peds surgery (Current Employee) –  Mineola NYAugust 28, 2015
A very productive, energetic and caring facility. Our patients and their families are very valuable to the institution we povide quality health care all patients are treated with dignity and respect. The most enjoyable moment are when my patients come in for post op follw ups and they have made great healing progress. Management is very supportive and willing to health out in any way possible.
Busy, productive, interactive, and a good educational experience
SLP Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYSeptember 6, 2014
This rehabilitation center was a very busy facility with a high volume of patients. Here I learned to manage my time with patients during and after therapy sessions. I was responsible for soap notes, progress notes, treatment plans, and diagnostic reports as well as putting in the appropriate billing codes.

The most enjoyable part of this job was working with diverse age groups and populations.
Enjoyable place of business
Patient Care Associate/Clerical Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYDecember 5, 2014
Helping the patients to prepare for their day as far as getting ready for surgery or getting ready to be discharged. The importance of teamwork in caring for those in need. Management was very flexible when work hours and time needed for personal issues. Having to deal with the emotions that occur when you are taking care of someone for a great amount of time. Seeing the patients leaving healthy.
A great place to work.
Clerical Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYSeptember 28, 2014
A typical day at work for me starts at 7 a.m making sure the units has everything it needs to function throughout the day. I have learned that multi-tasking is a skill that is very important in a hospital environment. The hardest part of the job is being pulled from one task to the next, but the best part is the employees. Winthrop has the best co-workers anyone could have, there is a team spirit that keeps everyone going.

4.2