Winthrop-University Hospital

Winthrop-University Hospital Employee Reviews

Challenging Workplace
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYAugust 2, 2016
I learned a lot working during my tenure at Winthrop. I started out as a per diem Registrar and ultimately ended my career at the organization as a Senior Systems Analyst. The work environment is very fast paced, and if you are a hard worker will provide you with challenges and opportunities to learn on a daily basis. One of the things I loved most about my job was learning new systems, policies and procedures. Also understanding how the behind the scenes processes and policies affected the patients. With this mindset I always strived to ensure that we were doing what was best for our patients and their families/friends.
Pros
Health benefits
Good Work Environment
Hospital Buyer (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYSeptember 1, 2016
Good work environment, friendly coworkers, but very difficult to get a raise. Each area is dependent upon the manager and their management style. Have been trying to get a raise for the past two years but have been denied due to the financial constraints.
Pros
Best coworkers
Cons
Difficult to get a raise
Warm friendly caring and learning environment
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYOctober 31, 2016
Winthrop Hospital has been one of the best working experiences I have ever had. I worked there since 2000 up until 2 years ago. I have to say that between the down to earth doctors, a CEO that remembers your name and always has a friendly greeting, the nurses are Amazing. Everyday for me was a day I looked forward to. I have memories I will cherish for life. typical day busy phones, coordinating schedules, meetings, keeping the doctors on track, a lot of paper work. Hardest part communicating with all the departments to make sure any last minute changes to any schedules were all across the board shared and updated as needed. Best part were all my colleagues just a good environment all around.
Pros
people very helpful friendly
Cons
pay rate could be stronger
Excellent
RN (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYSeptember 29, 2016
Great experience working there over 10 years. Co-workers make it a family, supportive.
Management supports staff.
Flexible work schedules.
Team work.
Excellent place for nurses of all career points, From entry level novice to experienced nurses.
Review of OTA position
patient care has a high burnout rate
high patient case load
unrealistic expectations of therapists
poor management
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Everything else
busy place to work.
Clerical Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJune 29, 2016
the management is okay. the day can be hectic or slow, that depends on patients flow. i learned few things here such as how to do admissions and discharges, how the patient flow works, amont other things as well.
benefits
Cons
short breaks/ short staffed
Productive and caring work environment
ED Technician (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NY 11501August 2, 2016
I work in the emergency room most days are very hectic and some days are calm. Co workers are awesome we work as a team to get over job done. Our management staff is very good. The hardest part of the job is seeing patients hurt. The most enjoyable is seeing how well we save the lives of every individual who walks through our doors.
Pros
great family and friendly environment
Cons
not enough working flexibility
Very Professional team of doctors and staff.
Clerical Support Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJuly 11, 2016
One of the best hospitals I've encountered. The patients come first and there was compassion shown to patients and their families. Very speedy and efficient staff. Management was fair and genuinely concerned about the staff and the well being if the staff.
Pros
lunch from Reps and patients, Employee appreciation events regularly
Great work enviornment
Sr. System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYApril 20, 2016
Productive and progressive work enviornment
great work life balance
strong job culture
Challenging tasks
Open communication envionment
Forwarding thinking approach
Emergency Room
Patient Access Rep. (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJuly 3, 2016
Your coworkers tend to make your day go by very quickly. Being that its the emergency room there isn't much down time so your constantly running around.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons

Want to know more about Winthrop-University Hospital?

Ask a question
Review of Winthrop University
Registered Nurse, Medical ICU/Critical Care (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYAugust 4, 2016
My typical day at worki is inclusive of caring for intubated(ventilator dependent) patient, cardiac arrest patient, and patients status post myocardial infarction requiring cardiac catheterization. I work in a fast pace environment that requires rapid decision making.

I learned how do continuous renal replacement therapy, artic sun, impella, chemotherapy desensitization and balloon pump. Winthrop has provided me with a strong educational support system via their nursing educators and continued opportunity to learn.
Physical therapist
understaffed
lack of supplies
poor pay
patient care has a high burnout rate
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
hard work, understaffed
Great company
Dialysis Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYJune 2, 2016
Love working at this hospital. The only reason why I'm leaving is because moving to Florida. The co-workers are amazing and management is top notch. Location is key for me and its perfect. The hardest part is the crazy hours but I manage.
Co-operative and supportive workplace
I.T Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJuly 6, 2015
Winthrop Hospital is a good place to work, if not a place where people become comfortable in their roles and don't move on/up very quickly if at all.

Management is usually very helpful and understanding, but again, their is little room for advancement for new employees because of the excellent benefits provided.

Co-workers, for the most part, are easy to work with, except in a hospital setting, there can be high-stress days/weeks depending on what's going on in the hospital.
Pros
good benefits, competitive compensation
Cons
high stress environment, little opportunity for advancement
New Opportunities filled with positive reinforcement
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Winthrop University Hospital is a great place to start a young career in healthcare. It is a great place to learn, even if you aren't proficient in a certain aspect of your job Winthrop will give you the proper training necessary to excel in your position and better yourself. With Winthrop always expanding with new buildings there are new career opportunities always available and they encourage growth within employees. It is nice where your supervisors/managers do all they can to see their employees excel in their desired field.
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYSeptember 14, 2016
Wonderful hospital staff. WUH provides a balance between work and personal life for best opportunities for quality of life. Excellent work environment.
Productive and Fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYAugust 8, 2016
Very active but very rewarding. Great co-workers. Learned a lot about keeping patient information on point. The hardest part is going from the 2nd floor to the basement to Central Supplies to get the needed equipment and bring it up. The best part of the job is receiving free lunch.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
A lot of walking around the Hospital
Great hospital that has recently made Magnet status.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYSeptember 17, 2016
Excellent hospital. Hospital works at people being team players. They listen to your concerns and work very hard to make sure staff is respected and happy.
Pros
Team players
Cons
No room for potential growth
Food Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Manager is open to any questions and available if needed or not
Coworkers are very friendly and helpful
Spent time to ensure I understood the steps in training
Practice good hand hygiene
Prepare and serve food in a clean enviornment
Wonderful staff
MEDICAL BILLING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Co-Worker's are amazing and supportive. Best part of the job is the hard working co-workers would do anything to help, educate and make the day easier.
Pros
Healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winthrop-University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2