Winthrop University Employee Reviews

Peaceful and tranquil workplace at Winthrop's Social and Behavorial Research Lab
Phone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCAugust 8, 2013
I earned minimum wage and no benefits, but that is to be expected for a temporary work-study job. For similar reasons, I do not have much to say for job security or opportunities for advancement. So, I have no complaints.

I performed the exact same function for each shift. I showed up at the appointed time, sat at my desk, plugged in my headphones and microphone, made the phone calls (phone numbers were randomly generated by the computer), asked the interview questions, recorded the answers, and then repeated the process. At the end of each shift I cleaned and sterilized the keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc., and left. Then, I logged my hours onto their website.

During my time at this job, I learned how to persuade reluctant interviewees to take the interview.

I gave the management an above average rating because I remember two times when he could tell that the staff was getting bored with the monotony of the work, so he gave us all a spontaneous 10-minute break and took us outside to play games (Frisbee, Simon says, etc.) This manager knew very well how to balance work and play in a professional environment.

Most of my co-workers seemed friendly and sociable, but this position did not allow for significant interaction with them.

The hardest part of the job was the monotony of doing the exact same thing for 4 hours at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the peaceful, tranquil environment, the predictability of the work routine (an upside of monotony), and the mutual trust between supervisor and staff (we were allowed to take water and bathroom breaks at our leisure,
  more... provided we were not using them as an opportunity to goof off, and this trust was never violated).  less
Pros
trust between supervisor and staff, tranquil environment, predictable work routine
Cons
monotony
Utilized many of my skills and training and offered many challenges
Part-Time Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCSeptember 6, 2012
A typical day at work would be to hire student workers to provide services for disabled peers. The services provided could be to take class notes, read and record reading materials, and provide electronic notes for visually impaired students. In addition, the administrative assistant would prepare materials for visually impaired students, such as converting math equations into words so that students could complete course work.

I learned so many things in this position. I had a Braille reader in my office that would convert word documents into Braille for our blind students. I ordered college books in electronic format for visually impaired students. Every day there was a new challenge and I loved being able to learn new things. In addition, I developed such admiration for all the disabled students. They appreciated everything that our office did for them and it was very humbling to me.

My supervisor was the best person I have ever worked for. Her energy and enthusiasm that she brought to the office every day was contagious and made me want to do the best job I could and provide the best service to all the students.

Everything about this job was enjoyable. I was very sorry that I had to leave this position.
Pros
daily challenges, learning new things
Winthrop University is a good place to work at special with a lots of avitivity take place on campus.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 12, 2015
A Good day work is when there is not to much to do so you can be at your own pace . I learned at lots a work because you enteract with young people who have a lot of fact to learned about the real world and i can give them some real fact to what to expect and the unexpect. My co-worker is no the problem we get alone fine and commcation with one another and solve the problem if and but more of the time the day ruin very smoother daily.The hardest part of the job is when the student are taking their finals exams and we have lots and lots of trashs everywhere.The enjoyable time on the job is when it done and i have done my best and no complain that the enjoyable parts.
Pros
free picnic, parties, cook-out, family-day etc.
Cons
president day's election coming up
Productive and high performance work and academic place.
Graduate Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day at work started by running students academic performance ports to the dean of faculty. Assisting faculty in creation of rubrics and lesson plans. Data of students grades and overall performance. Instruction and training of Livetex program to students.
Management and co-workers were helpful and collaborative. Worked as a team member to reach department of education goals.
Overall the job presented a pleasant and enjoyable profile, where goals were met on timely fashion and accuracy.
Pros
access to newest technology in academic endeavors
Cons
healthcare absentee.
Great benefits
Technical Assistance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 19, 2015
Although my position was through a temporary grant and I actually did my daily work with another state agency, Winthrop University offered a great benefits package that included up to 6 credit hours of free tuition per semester (after one year of employment).
Pros
tuition benefits, insurance, retirement
Productive but intense
Intern and Program Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 4, 2013
I enjoy working here. I work 7.5 hours a day. I travel throughout the state too conduct licensing visit. My co-workers are pretty nice but have attitudes sometimes. The hardest part of my job in multi-tasking.
Pros
lots of travel, no long hours
Cons
peoples attitudes
Productive and Learning environment
Assistant Director for Residential Services (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCSeptember 10, 2014
Winthrop, being a place for higher education doesn't just stop with students. As a professional staff member I was able to take classes at Winthrop as well as professional development events.
Pros
free tuition, health insurance, eye insurance, dental
Cons
low salary
On- campus jobs
ACC Lab Operator (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCAugust 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of an on- campus job is creating your own schedule. As an ACC Lab Operator, one is self- employed. There is no one there criticizing the moves you make. The hardest part is not knowing where to turn to find an answer a guest may ask.
An amazing Internship opportunity that ended unremarkably
Web Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMay 31, 2015
Internship was a great way to hone skills, and the environment and job culture were nurturing and engaging.

Coworkers were talented and cohesively worked on projects effectively.

Management invested minimally in continuing work with interns.
great staff
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 21, 2015
The unit is a great work place but management is not as compitant as they should be .my learning experience was great the nurses are more than willing to help and educate.the staff at the Mineola branch aare the best .
Pros
the people
Cons
Great faculty and wonderful atmosphere
Graduate Assistant for the Dean's Office (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCFebruary 22, 2015
A great set of faculty, very good with work/life balance, co-workers are very helpful and friendly, the most enjoyable part of the job probably being in a setting where I can learn everyday.
A typical day
Editor/Curator of Art for The Anthology (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 11, 2015
Included me engaging with customers and finding answers to their questions. Providing excellent customer serivice and keeping busy during down times that improved the quality of service I could provide.
Fun work place refing intraumral games
Intramural Official (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 1, 2015
I referee intramural games of students at night time. I work only during the school season, and the director is great. It is really enjoyable because I am really interested in sports.
Winthrop
Graduate-Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 16, 2015
Student Athlete here for 4 years and then international ambassador and graduate assistant while acquiring my masters. I had an amazing experience. studying working and playing soccer, making history for the university soccer team.
Productive and nice place to work
State Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 26, 2015
Winthrop is a medium sized university in the upstate of South Carolina that is rich with history and tradition. The university is a nice place to work, and the campus is beautiful and growing.
It was a great place to work
Instructional Technology Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 3, 2014
It was a great place to work. Completely understanding. I would recommend anyone to go there to work. I loved it. I have worked there for two years.
Pros
loved it. could do homework
Cons
n/a
College
Student (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 21, 2015
-4 year Social Work Bachelor's program
-typical day is going to two 3 hour classes and then studying the rest of the day.
-hardest part was time management
Good place to learn skills
Payroll Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 17, 2015
Opportunities exist to learn more skills and increase knowledge. Common and frequent interaction with others across departments. Campus is beautiful.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
State position
Adjunct faculty member at small college in South Carolina.
Adjunct Professor, String Faculty (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 18, 2013
Good school to teach at. Music faculty all very fine musicians.
Mostly good students.
Pros
good students, flexible schedule.
Cons
not enough work.
Fast-Paced, Customer Service
Sporting Events Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCAugust 27, 2013
Great time assisting with my alma maters sporting events. I would work the ticket booth or provide customer service as in guest relations.

4.4